Solus.io decides to burn the market down with new pricing

Comments

• per core is still a good option for me as I do managed infrastructure with a small team, I would have liked the standard per socket price but it looks like per core is the future. We are not in the general hosting market so the cost is not so much of an issue as it can be passed to the customer.

My mini review so far.

I got the demo installed and I am left confused by the stage it is at, I have had to hack things up to even get a bit of functionality on the OVH soyoustart servers. (This will not work on OVH out of the box)

I saw the preview screenshots Plesk put out last year and the UI has gone backwards by 50 steps? sadly it looks like the preview screenshots they put out last year as evidence of the development may have been fake to buy time.

IPV6 is not available from the start, again is this a big worry for me, I thought it has been in development 2 years now if I am not wrong, I would expect IPV6 to be there also lack of routed network support from the get go. :scream:

The logging level is great, I like that they seem to support qcow2 and image based disks as they are much easier to work with for backups at a bigger scale, many of the customer servers are 1+ TB vdisks

But overall I am underwhelmed after so long in development the UI looks like a day at most has been spent on it and fundamentals are missing from the start which makes me feel that this is a developers impression of what actual sysadmins really need or that it has really only been worked on for a very short time, OnApp may be the only option now if it has taken them this long to develop to this stage it will probably be years away from being a complete product.

I hope this helps some people, thanks for directing me to the preview installer.

• vserversitevserversite Hosting ProviderOG

Thats to much, to pay for one CPU core. Its not more interesting for Small VMs, under an 5€ / monthly segment

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@vserversite said:
    Thats to much, to pay for one CPU core. Its not more interesting for Small VMs, under an 5€ / monthly segment

That is what SolusVM V1 is intended for.

Thanked by (1)Lee

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• vserversitevserversite Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said: That is what SolusVM V1 is intended for.

Sure, for cloud infrastructur more v2 ;) But, what ISP will host 2 different engines? ;)

@vserversite said:

@AnthonySmith said: That is what SolusVM V1 is intended for.

Sure, for cloud infrastructur more v2 ;) But, what ISP will host 2 different engines? ;)

/me puts hand up.

Thanked by (3)vserversite vimalware Lee

Confirmed not working on OVH servers, how odd, I can only assume that was an oversight given that v1 has supported that out of the box for about 7?!? years and I would expect the vast majority of people trying it just spin up a cheap test bed on OVH or hetzner (which I guess also wont work) I will flag it to Phill, may just be a quick update or it may be in the code base and just not enabled.

For those that don't know its a routed network issue, while you can sort of make it work but you don't really get any connectivity for your VM's

if there is any demand I could probably write up a quick work around to use a spoofing virtual server as a gateway.

• Honestly, Solus.IO seems to bring all the features that have been lacking in SolusVM, with the backing of Plesk, which let's face it makes the best web hosting control panel on the market. If you're willing to pay the premium price for it. The features this seems to bring, may just be worth the price tag. It's arguably inexpensive compared to it's competitors. It's now directly competing with OnApp, VMWare, etc.

I don't see the providers that end up switching to Solus.io overselling more. The ones that switch are most likely just going to adjust their pricing a bit. The providers that would oversell, probably won't end up switching to it to begin with.

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said:
    Confirmed not working on OVH servers, how odd, I can only assume that was an oversight given that v1 has supported that out of the box for about 7?!? years and I would expect the vast majority of people trying it just spin up a cheap test bed on OVH or hetzner (which I guess also wont work) I will flag it to Phill, may just be a quick update or it may be in the code base and just not enabled.

For those that don't know its a routed network issue, while you can sort of make it work but you don't really get any connectivity for your VM's

if there is any demand I could probably write up a quick work around to use a spoofing virtual server as a gateway.

For the price, just let them fix it.

Thanked by (1)mikho

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@MrPsycho said:

That's some peak Solus right there.

Francisco

• Yup, I give up. Is freaking ridiculous that everything has to externally accessible. There is no usage for such software inside corporations or even home lab.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

STONKUS!

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @MrPsycho said:
    Yup, I give up. Is freaking ridiculous that everything has to externally accessible. There is no usage for such software inside corporations or even home lab.

To be fair, it is a product aimed at service providers.

Thanked by (1)Lee

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• edited February 2020

And... it's done

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Clouvider said:
    To be fair it’s called technical preview for a reason

@AnthonySmith Please check IPs. This can't be Dom.

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Clouvider said:

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

?

I know this isn't you. Where's the bitterness and sarcasm?

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

?

There’s no reason for it in this situation?

Plesk bought Solus. They actually did something to make the v2. Thus far, under new ownership, they behave professionally. They proved the existence of the product with a working, downloadable technical preview early release where you can actually deploy a VM. Backend works fine, UI needs polishing. Functions are missing but are planned before the GA so forgive me but I don’t know why would anyone be upset with it ?

Thanked by (1)ViridWeb
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Clouvider said:

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

?

There’s no reason for it in this situation?

Plesk bought Solus. They actually did something to make the v2. Thus far, under new ownership, they behave professionally. They proved the existence of the product with a working, downloadable technical preview early release where you can actually deploy a VM. Backend works fine, UI needs polishing. Functions are missing but are planned before the GA so forgive me but I don’t know why would anyone be upset with it ?

..we're gonna need an IP check here.

Truth be told, I see this as how the entire industry will move forward for those of us without the time to build our own damn portal - but I can't say I'm really happy with how it is shaping up.

Then again, we'll all be dead in 3 years for one of several possible reasons, so whocares.

@WSS said: Then again, we'll all be dead in 3 years for one of several possible reasons, so whocares.

Liberating when you just accept then eh.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@WSS said: Then again, we'll all be dead in 3 years for one of several possible reasons, so whocares.

Liberating when you just accept then eh.

I plan on spending most of it drunk. How about you?

@WSS said: I plan on spending most of it drunk. How about you?

My timing was off now my kidneys cant take it, water only.

Guess I will spend it here.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@WSS said: I plan on spending most of it drunk. How about you?

My timing was off now my kidneys cant take it, water only.

.. yet you pretend to be European.

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

@WSS said: yet you pretend to be European.

I think you forgot... they are just British again now. They brexited.

Thanked by (3)WSS seriesn poisson
  • @qps said:

They did leave their island off the European coast though.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@debaser said:

@qps said:

They did leave their island off the European coast though.

Flat tyre, I guess.

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@qps said:

They're still European, just not EU :)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@joepie91 said:

@qps said:

They're still European, just not EU :)

Oddly, I still greet them with "Ewwwww".

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

@joepie91 said: They're still European, just not EU

They drive on the wrong side of the road