HostMantis to update pricing by January 1st 2021 for new invoices

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Adam1 said:

@bikegremlin said: For all I know - no discount is honored over 50%. Think that's most you can expect. But do check with them.

Well, for sure I will check, of course. If the resulting price is too much then I can simply leave.

A shame though, as the uptime has been pretty decent overall. But with a saturated market, it's not very hard to find something comparible.

When it comes to cPanel reseller hosting of good quality (performance, uptime, even given resources) - I'm afraid even their new pricing (especially if you get at least a 50% discount) is among the better ones.

I've got more than a full year of my plans left. So at the start of 2022, I can see what the prices, and control panel situation is like (DirectAdmin and cPanel) - then make a decision. Not sure I should even check the renewal price until 2022, since that seems to be changing from year to year. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Adam1 said: But with a saturated market, it's not very hard to find something comparible.

What, you mean more unsustainable recurring deals that won't be honoured in the future? Yeah, plenty of them about.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • edited December 2020

My Reseller was 19.99 USD for 3 years (bought with 80% discount) and is still showing 74.96 USD for renewal.

This means 74.96 / 36 months = 2.08 USD per month. Will this price cover their costs?

If YES, then it is a chance to keep this renewal price.

If NO, then something will happen.

• @bikegremlin said:
    I'm afraid even their new pricing (especially if you get at least a 50% discount) is among the better ones.

It isn't a matter of cheap and/or better service anymore. It's a matter of trust now.
    I can't trust anyone who licks what they spat a couple of times.
    the BF was 10 days ago, If you can't plan ahead for 10 days... unless it was intended and hope for the best.

• @bikegremlin said: When it comes to cPanel reseller hosting of good quality (performance, uptime, even given resources) - I'm afraid even their new pricing (especially if you get at least a 50% discount) is among the better ones.

Could well be true, I have no comment regarding reseller hosting. I only have their shared hosting, in 6 locations. I also have shared hosting accounts with approx 40 other providers, so I do have some references to go by. These price increases put them above every single other account I have if it helps for context.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Adam1 said:
    I am 1.5 years into a 2018 BF friday deal which I paid upfront for 2 years in 4 locations, renewing in June.

The BF deal was an 80% /// recurring /// deal. I hope that they will honour this discount when it comes to renewal.

I also added credit when they were running the 50% credit bonus. A bit of a kick in the balls now that they are increasing the pricing. A bigger kick in the balls if they do not honour the recurring discounts.

Gullo did this to me, would not honour recurring discount and put the price up. Needless to say, I did not renew.

For all I know - no discount is honored over 50%. Think that's most you can expect. But do check with them.

I thought that the limit was 25%, but I may misremember.

But, yeah, the 80% discount will definitely be over.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@Adam1 said:

@bikegremlin said: When it comes to cPanel reseller hosting of good quality (performance, uptime, even given resources) - I'm afraid even their new pricing (especially if you get at least a 50% discount) is among the better ones.

Could well be true, I have no comment regarding reseller hosting. I only have their shared hosting, in 6 locations. I also have shared hosting accounts with approx 40 other providers, so I do have some references to go by. These price increases put them above every single other account I have if it helps for context.

Then it would make sense to change providers, or get one reseller account (with the same, or some other provider).

Related to the topic (OP):
    A brief introspection (helps put things into perspective, at least for me).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @angstrom said:

When they originally increased the price last year and removed the 70%+ discounts they automatically changed it to 25%. However, if you contacted them they’d increased it to 50%.

In their announcement there is no mention of the existing discounts being honoured or not.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • Further to above, HostMantis have confirmed that the existing 50% discount on my plan will be honoured going forward with the new pricing.

• @LeonDynamic said:

@angstrom said:

When they originally increased the price last year and removed the 70%+ discounts they automatically changed it to 25%. However, if you contacted them they’d increased it to 50%.

Ah, okay: a 50% discount is still pretty nice :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@angstrom said:

Ah, okay: a 50% discount is still pretty nice :)

Year ago, not working any longer. Actually, their bf deal with a dedi IP has been a proper replacement imo. I don't know what a dedi IP could be good for, however, considering the price of an entry plan and the price of the IP, it might get somewhat close to the 50%.

• are we facing another hostdoc kind a situation here ?

• LeeLee OG
    edited December 2020

@wordpress said:
    are we facing another hostdoc kind a situation here?

Don't see why, Hostdoc like most LET hosts of that ilk were always doomed to fail, many will still fail, it is just a matter of time.

HostMantis has been about for a long time, not the greatest marketing people that is for sure, but a solid provider over the years.

Something has triggered them, probably true that they are giving up racing to the bottom, creating slim margins only to them make unpopular with changes every time cPanel increases their pricing.

However unpopular it does seem that they are setting their pricing far enough ahead and planned to deal with more increases in cost without needing to pass that on every single time.

Sure, they have increased DA pricing as well so it appears to an entire shift across everything they offer, but they have commented why this is all being done, it seems sensible.

Like I have said many times before, providers that can get themselves out of the race to the bottom should do it and as quickly as possible. Maybe that is all they are doing, time will tell.

Said it many times but everyone shouts about DA being different, yet so many providers have simply recreated the very situation that existed before cPanel changed their pricing. All it will take is for DA to sell their panel or change their pricing and all these hosts are equally as fucked through their race to the bottom pricing. Someone will be along to say that won't happen, DA says so. Believe it because you want to, but if/when it happens I will be here ready with my 'I told you so'.

• In my personal opinion it is better to put higher prices than dissapear before the project was unsustainable. If the prices do not fit into your perception you always could move to another provider. I have done it in similar way starting with 1 price and i have increased it during the years. ( non hosting related) . may be you are losing some customers because of the higher prices but at least the euro/per hour is better so it makes sense at least for me

Dentistry is my passion

• @Lee said: Believe it because you want to, but if/when it happens I will be here ready with my 'I told you so'.

ive few reseller with them , i kind a wish they dont close down like hostdoc bcos its painful to migrate but few people (2) are complaining about unanswered ticket on LET and WHT , my ticket is also pending lets hope for best

• @wordpress said: but few people (2) are complaining about unanswered ticket on LET and WHT

Of course, they will be inundated with complaints. This is no doubt part of their issue, those complaining are the ones paying virtually nothing and taking up all their time.

• deankdeank OG
    edited December 2020

@wordpress said:
    are we facing another hostdoc kind a situation here ?

Nope, as far as I know, HostMentos has been in this biz for a good amount of years.
    They are simply trying to get rid of lowend customers, mainly probably to survive and boost profit.

There isn't really a point in keeping customers with a profit margin of like 50 cents, who also happen to complain the loudest, once you grow large enough.

Thanked by (2)seriesn bikegremlin

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @wordpress said:

@Lee said: Believe it because you want to, but if/when it happens I will be here ready with my 'I told you so'.

ive few reseller with them , i kind a wish they dont close down like hostdoc bcos its painful to migrate but few people (2) are complaining about unanswered ticket on LET and WHT , my ticket is also pending lets hope for best

As @Lee said, HostDoc were engaged in a different strategy altogether. There's no reason to think that HostMantis will suddenly close up shop from one day to the next (like HostDoc did), and this will be more true once the price changes come into effect.

• @Lee said: However unpopular it does seem that they are setting their pricing far enough ahead and planned to deal with more increases in cost without needing to pass that on every single time.

This. My take is, they are future proofing the business. Mail channel, Immunify, cloudlinux, Litespeed and all the other goodies cost good amount of money. You really can't give the world for free.

• @deank said:

@wordpress said:
    are we facing another hostdoc kind a situation here ?

Nope, as far as I know, HostMentos has been in this biz for a good amount of years.
    They are simply trying to get rid of lowend customers, mainly probably to survive and boost profit.

There isn't really a point in keeping customers with a profit margin of like 50 cents, who also happen to complain the loudest, once you grow large enough.

Aptly put,
    and welcome back.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Year ago, I recommended a friend to use Hostmantis's AU location, and forget to give him the 80% discount code so he is paiding 100% at all.
    I forwarded the price change to him and he replie me:"I dont see the different"
    My guess is that LEer is too price-sensitive.

Action and Reaction in history

• @elliotc said:
    Year ago, I recommended a friend to use Hostmantis's AU location, and forget to give him the 80% discount code so he is paiding 100% at all.
    I forwarded the price change to him and he replie me:"I dont see the different"
    My guess is that LEer is too price-sensitive.

By the sounds of it, it depends what plan your on - it seems the smallest plan is being scrapped so pushed to higher plans, so those on the higher plans already probably wont notice as much.

Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Hosting
    Performance & AMD EPYC Cloud | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups

• @WSCallum said: it seems the smallest plan is being scrapped so pushed to higher plans

No, the smallest plan is staying, this is where people are getting confused and fueling claims of dodgy practice.

Entry - Starter - Advanced - Expert

It will now become

Entry - Advanced - Expert

So if you were on the Starter plan at $8.95 you will be auto moved to the Advanced plan at $29.95 which makes sense, you can't assume a downgrade will work. Those prices are window price, no discounts applied. It is a big jump but everyone has the option to take the Entry plan if their current usage works for that plan, in which case the change is a $1 increase but then discounts are still to be applied.

• Just cite "The end is nigh" and be done with this shit.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    Just cite "The end is nigh" and be done with this shit.

Or you could leave that shit on LET where it belongs.

Thanked by (1)Adam1
  • edited December 2020

IMO, they would have done well to grandfather in discounts as best they can, or adjust those discounts for potentially 0% profit margin where the costs truly do exceed the revenue. This thread could have gone a very different way if they had, with praise and recommendation.

Those customer on the larger discount would have eventually thinned out and in the mean time they would probably bring them some positive press in the form of forum comments and reviews.

Price increases are fine, but I think they should be for new accounts and upgrades. They might not have even needed to announce the changes if they are for new customers only.

• I am interested in knowing who is going to buy them. CPanel price hike seems like a cover for actual intent

Squats are the new Push-ups

@Lee said:

@deank said:
    Just cite "The end is nigh" and be done with this shit.

Or you could leave that shit on LET where it belongs.

BLASPHEMY!
    Stop that. Stop it right away!

See the tag? Openyl Gay, and Official Troll?
    Deank is providing a valuable service to this community. Letting people know when they are PMS-ing, or just being stupid.
    Carry on...

• @vyas said:
    I am interested in knowing who is going to buy them. CPanel price hike seems like a cover for actual intent

Shared Hosting user have a great part don't know about tech at all, learning a new panel and migration is a huge cost to them. Their raised prices are still very competitive with the outside world, specifically AU and SGP locations. Their quality is worth the price. I didn't know them through LET/LES, but through some coupon site by random google search. I'm sure many more people are like that. The greatest hit should be the resellers who followed their original business model.

Thanked by (1)Lee

Action and Reaction in history

• @Lee said:

@WSCallum said: it seems the smallest plan is being scrapped so pushed to higher plans

No, the smallest plan is staying, this is where people are getting confused and fueling claims of dodgy practice.

Entry - Starter - Advanced - Expert

It will now become

Entry - Advanced - Expert

So if you were on the Starter plan at $8.95 you will be auto moved to the Advanced plan at $29.95 which makes sense, you can't assume a downgrade will work. Those prices are window price, no discounts applied. It is a big jump but everyone has the option to take the Entry plan if their current usage works for that plan, in which case the change is a $1 increase but then discounts are still to be applied.

Makes sense, still I can see why users would be kicking off about the starter plan being removed and being forced on to an advanced plan which is $21 per month more expensive. Surely HM could've removed the plan for new orders and kept their existing clients on the plan but with an inline price increase for the increased cPanel account costs/HM costs.

Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Hosting
    Performance & AMD EPYC Cloud | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups