Introducing NOVOS BRICK cloud storage - 200 GB for just €1 (one-time only)

Comments

• @martijnk said:

@kwaralala said:
    Ordered one for fun @martijnk
    Can you check if the Stripe card payment is working? Tried multiple times, ended up paying via Paypal.

Lot of ppl payed with Stripe yes, did you fill in all the card info? If you don't it will just sit there and wait when your press submit.

I did! Nevermind though.

• @yoursunny said:
    Ordered. Unbelievable price. I hope this lasts for more than 1 year.
    Even Romania sisters would charge $25/year for 200GB.

ping latency from my location (Verizon FiOS, Washington DC region) is 86ms.
    As a comparison, my personal Nextcloud (Seattle) has a ping latency of 94ms.
    It's faster to go across Atlantic than across continental United States.

With this 200GB account, I can have an off-site backup of my old photos, in addition to the primary copy on the USB HDD attached to home router and the offline backup in another USB HDD.

Upload speeds aren't great at the moment.
    The spinning rust on my home router can support 5 MiB/s, but upload speed is about 0.5 MiB/s.
    I'll wait a few days before trying to upload more.

$ du -h -d0 /mnt/N/photo/2003
    839M  /mnt/N/photo/2003

$ time cp -R /mnt/N/photo/2003 /mnt/BRICK/photo/
    real  24m0.386s
    user  0m0.102s
    sys   0m10.016s

Are you uploading through webdav? That's pretty slow. I actually uploaded around 800 mb and it took like 4-5 minutes through the web interface. For best experience I guess it's better to use the nextcloud client but yeah if you're on linux webdav is probably the only option.

• Thanks for this. Just recently ordered one. Hope this will succeed. ?

• ofitofit OG
    edited January 2021

@martijnk activate Collabora Online please

• edited January 2021

@ofit said:
    activate Collabora Online please

From what I can see this is active?

Edit: Ah I see what you mean, yeah you need an additional server for that. I will do this later.

• Not work for me

• @ofit said:
    Not work for me

Yeah it's not configured yet I will do this later.

• edited January 2021

@martijnk said: I've noticed Hetzner is offering kind of the same thing. Although they give you a full Nextcloud instance, probably running on a separate VPS where you can be admin, add users, apps etc. and have full control.

It's not a whole VPS that would be too costly of a setup. You get your own DB, and your own NextCloud instance, as well as your own data directory. Sharing one large instance is a bad idea for privacy and security. I would re-work your model so each person gets there own instance, and DB. Then make sure permissions and quotes are setup correctly for the data directory as well as the instance, and DB.

• @Aaron said:

@martijnk said: I've noticed Hetzner is offering kind of the same thing. Although they give you a full Nextcloud instance, probably running on a separate VPS where you can be admin, add users, apps etc. and have full control.

It's not a whole VPS that would be too costly of a setup. You get your own DB, and your own NextCloud instance, as well as your own data directory. Sharing one large instance is a bad idea for privacy and security. I would re-work your model so each person gets there own instance, and DB. Then make sure permissions and quotes are setup correctly for the data directory as well as the instance, and DB.

Well ppl all have their own data directory and everything is encrypted with the key stored in their own directory as well.

I can see your point though, having separate instances and db for users would probably be better but a whole lot more expensive and much harder to manage for me and the user as well. Plus it's still no guarantee your data won't leak.

But yeah in terms of security and privacy I do agree, then it's probably better to have your own machine.

• edited January 2021

@martijnk said:

$ du -h -d0 /mnt/N/photo/2003
    839M    /mnt/N/photo/2003

$ time cp -R /mnt/N/photo/2003 /mnt/BRICK/photo/
    real  24m0.386s
    user  0m0.102s
    sys   0m10.016s

Are you uploading through webdav? That's pretty slow. I actually uploaded around 800 mb and it took like 4-5 minutes through the web interface. For best experience I guess it's better to use the nextcloud client but yeah if you're on linux webdav is probably the only option.

Yes I'm using WebDAV. I do not want to synchronize the whole folder to the laptop, so I want to use the WebDAV mount on a BeagleBone Black.
    The Nextcloud app is also using WebDAV internally, but it probably has some optimization.

I tried another folder and the speeds are more reasonable.
    I don't know what happened to the 2003 folder.

There is discrepancy on file size accounting: EDIT: it's caused by SAMBA mount; du -h locally on the home router says "535.7M".

• du -h: 796 MB
    • Caja file browser: 769 items, totalling 560.1 MB (834.7 MB on disk)
    • Nextcloud: 534.2 MB

If I consider the size reported by Nextcloud, the speeds are:

• Uploading to NOVOS BRICK: 2.3 MiB/s
    • Uploading to personal Nextcloud (Docker, NVMe disk): 3.2 MiB/s
    $ time cp -R /mnt/N/photo/2004 /mnt/BRICK/photo/
    real    3m51.901s
    user    0m0.112s
    sys 0m10.739s

$ time cp -R /mnt/N/photo/2004 /mnt/nextcloud/temp/
    real    2m46.498s
    user    0m0.167s
    sys 0m9.983s

Thanked by (1)vimalware

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Nice offer! Just grab one

• @kwaralala said:

@martijnk said:

@kwaralala said:
    Ordered one for fun @martijnk
    Can you check if the Stripe card payment is working? Tried multiple times, ended up paying via Paypal.

Lot of ppl payed with Stripe yes, did you fill in all the card info? If you don't it will just sit there and wait when your press submit.

I did! Nevermind though.

You're not crazy. It happened to me too. :)

• Are there any bandwidth limits?

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bark
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@vyas said:

@codelock said:

Also @Ympker you don't want to miss on this life time deal.
    Wonder why none tagged him yet?

I recall he is travelling. Cycling or something

Close enough haha :D I have travelled to València, Spain, to study abroad for half a year. Arrived on Sunday and currently getting all the formalities and paperwork done hence not so active atm. Should be better in February :)

Thanks for the tag! Will have a look!

//Ympker

• @Ympker said:

welcome back.

Phototoototootooosssss ?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • i really have no need for it but just signed up anyways...

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@ehab said:

@Ympker said:

welcome back.

Phototoototootooosssss ?

Thanks mate :heart: Gonna post some in the Pit as to not highjack the thread :P

• Got one. Thanks

• @AnthonySmith said:

@martijnk said: Ok I need a break, I didn't realize ppl would buy this like mad lol.

oopsie! lol, a good problem to have I suppose.

Are offer threads only for logged in users, BTW? (Or is this indexed by search engines? Might get lots of extra orders all of a sudden.)

• Got one for uh, idling some files. Thanks!

• @Murv said:
    Are there any bandwidth limits?

For now, no ;)

Thanked by (3)Murv atomi bark
  • Hi! Thanks for this! It was very quickly provisioned. I have a question about privacy, it does say that admin has access to my files? Does that mean you can see my files despite being encrypted? Thanks

• @lowendmeow said:
    Hi! Thanks for this! It was very quickly provisioned. I have a question about privacy, it does say that admin has access to my files? Does that mean you can see my files despite being encrypted? Thanks

Nextcloud supports client side encryption which means nobody else can see your files. Not sure if that's enabled on this instance though.

I'd advise against using the encryption feature of Nextcloud, it's been known to fail, leaving you without your precious data.

Thanked by (1)kkrajk
  • @lowendmeow said:
    Hi! Thanks for this! It was very quickly provisioned. I have a question about privacy, it does say that admin has access to my files? Does that mean you can see my files despite being encrypted? Thanks

Theoretically yes, but I did enable end-to-end encryption now, can you test this?

• @Solaire said:

@lowendmeow said:

Nextcloud supports client side encryption which means nobody else can see your files. Not sure if that's enabled on this instance though.

I'd advise against using the encryption feature of Nextcloud, it's been known to fail, leaving you without your precious data.

Maybe but you need encryption. Anyway always keep a copy of your files somewhere else! Even with Google Cloud or Onedrive.

• @Solaire said:

@lowendmeow said:

Oh yes. I just set up my own instance and ran into this issue immediately. Shocked that it's been around so long:
    https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/23197

Thanked by (1)Solaire
  • So it still says in privacy that admin has access to my files but it also says that server side encryption is on. Not sure how to test the other encryption or if that applies when it's saying admin still has access

• @lowendmeow said:
    So it still says in privacy that admin has access to my files but it also says that server side encryption is on. Not sure how to test the other encryption or if that applies when it's saying admin still has access

If you run the nextcloud client, you can go to settings. There you can enable end-to-end encryption.

Then right-click a folder and choose encrypt. Then only you will have the key and admin can't access the folder.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@flips said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@martijnk said: Ok I need a break, I didn't realize ppl would buy this like mad lol.

oopsie! lol, a good problem to have I suppose.

Are offer threads only for logged in users, BTW? (Or is this indexed by search engines? Might get lots of extra orders all of a sudden.)

Offers are indexed, only exclusive offers are non public.

Thanked by (2)flips Ganonk

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @martijnk said:

@lowendmeow said:
    So it still says in privacy that admin has access to my files but it also says that server side encryption is on. Not sure how to test the other encryption or if that applies when it's saying admin still has access

If you run the nextcloud client, you can go to settings. There you can enable end-to-end encryption.

Then right-click a folder and choose encrypt. Then only you will have the key and admin can't access the folder.

Got it. Thanks so much for that, still getting up to speed on Nextcloud. Although like with my other post and the replies I am a bit nervous about end to end within nextcloud due to some of these bugs, but it's good to know that it exists and I'll try it out for some non critcal stuff :) Thanks