OVH SBG Offline - SBG2 Completely Destroyed

Comments

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

Hope every one is safe!! This will impact their business again!

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @havoc said:

@Falzo said: looks like the separation (fire-protection?) between SBG2 and SBG3 might have done its job and withhold quite some damage.

My thinking was more "damn those firefighter were on point in preventing spread"...those things are really close together

I doubt there is much, they could really do about that, based on how they can or cannot locate themselves. but sure they might have tried to cool down the connection parts to avoid spread. didn't work so well on the other side towards the SBG1 containers though...

this gives an additional hint about the structure and the whole thing not really being a cube at all:

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Once a "jinx-prone" colleague was on his way to fix our electrics, I phoned a friend at the fire department, who also knows the guy:
    "This is probably the first time you got a 'schedule' call! See, Lucky is on his way to fix our electric cables, so I advise you to get ready and slowly be on your way to our offices."
    It all went fine, we all just had a laugh, and Lucky is a top-class guy - but he is a jinx which has been our running joke over the years.

OVH maintenance schedule:
    http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=49016

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• _MS__MS_ OG
    edited March 2021

@DataRecovery said: People say they do not have any data recovery plan:
    OVH data recovery plan cloud fire

The LET Effect - People posting their server/rack numbers in their tweets.

• This gives a new meaning to Pyrocumulous Cloud

• datacenter scale

Thanked by (3)Janevski havoc james50a

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• XenicXenic OG
    edited March 2021

Here more pictures from the accident.

Thanked by (3)kuroneko23 lentro Janevski
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited March 2021

Oh Lord! I feel for OVH and their customers. Horrible incident. I am glad that nobody died or got hurt, as it seems!
    But I must also admit that postings like "How do I activate the Disaster Recovery Plan in the OVH panel?" amuse me a bit. Do people really think that a Disaster Recovery Plan is something that your provider offers as an addon? This world...

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• MS said:

Probably looking to have their bandwidth doubled.

• Aren’t most datacenters one big room? Why did OVH go with a shipping container design?

• edited March 2021

@corbpie said:
    Aren’t most datacenters one big room? Why did OVH go with a shipping container design?

Only SBG1 and SBG4 are shipping containers, 2/3 are actual buildings (although still very much have a container style to them)

I believe it was used to trial out the locations before investing in actual buildings at the time.

Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Hosting
    Performance & AMD EPYC Cloud | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups

• @WSCallum said: I believe it was used to trial out the locations

I think mostly also because it simply was cheap. didn't they also get awards for kind of inventing or pushing that way of building DC infrastructure?

• @Falzo said:

@WSCallum said: I believe it was used to trial out the locations

I think mostly also because it simply was cheap. didn't they also get awards for kind of inventing or pushing that way of building DC infrastructure?

Yep that is literally the intention - Cheap and quick to build which allowed them to trial out demand in SBG before making residence there permanently, demand was so high while SBG 2/3 were being built SBG4 was also made out of shipping containers - I saw somewhere though that they were meant to be decommissioning 1/4 and merging them into 3 essentially. Unsure on the awards side but wouldn't surprise me.

Thanked by (1)Falzo

• @WSCallum said: I saw somewhere though that they were meant to be decommissioning 1/4 and merging them into 3 essentially

that was 2017 in regards to the power loss incident there and afair more related to the grid design and not neccessarily the containers itself ;-)

Thanked by (1)WSCallum
  • @Falzo said:

@WSCallum said: I saw somewhere though that they were meant to be decommissioning 1/4 and merging them into 3 essentially

that was 2017 in regards to the power loss incident there and afair more related to the grid design and not neccessarily the containers itself ;-)

That would make more sense!

• someshzadesomeshzade Hosting ProviderOG
    edited March 2021

This is a nightmare for some... :open_mouth:

Nexa Racks - Reliable Web Hosting Company

• @Falzo said:

I noticed that structure on some of the images from the fire. I'm not a fire engineer (if thats even a thing) or anything but that made me think that the whole structure must act like a giant chimney when on fire, creating a lot of drag and plenty of oxygen to fuel the fire.

Thanked by (2)Falzo lentro
  • @rcy026 said: the whole structure must act like a giant chimney when on fire, creating a lot of drag and plenty of oxygen to fuel the fire

agreed. and if the power gets cut, luck might have it the generators kick in and survive a while to have the vents/AC still blowing into it...

• This is very bad :(

• Remember what I always cite.

If you are a follower of the Nigh sect, you will keep backups.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Sorry, I couldn't resist....

• @DataRecovery said:

MS said:

Probably looking to have their bandwidth doubled.

In case of OVH, double the Mbps/Gbps limit for their unmetered* Bandwidth. :)

• edited March 2021

@DataRecovery said:
    Night photos look scary - the OVH cloud datacentre turned into a big black cloud...

OVH datacentre fire cloud

"Smoke on the water, fire in the sky."

What was the reason?
    And why did it burn so well?

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited March 2021

@corbpie said:
    Aren’t most datacenters one big room? Why did OVH go with a shipping container design?

Probably following the same idea as Google 12 years ago:

Thanked by (1)Janevski

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Freek said:
    Didn't they have a fire as well a couple of years ago? I can't find the news article anymore.

If memory serves me, there was a fire on a building close-by. They talked about adding (or already having added) some external fire-protection plates to prevent such incidents from putting them in danger.
    Can't find the article neither. :(

That was online.net, their "firewall" did work for them though back then.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• its pretty bad for those without a backup...
    my wife's email is down because of it.
    hopefully recovers well for all.

• _MS__MS_ OG
    edited March 2021

@Xenic said:

In some countries, this could've meant over a 100 deaths. It's good that nobody got hurt. Yes, we can mock people for not keeping backups, but still, the next few days are going to hurt like hell.

Thanked by (1)lentro