Divi introduces Full-Site Front-End Editing

2»

Comments

• @bikegremlin said: For me at least, when making a page with very few elements, it is easy to get very high scores.

I agree, but before the Divi update happened my pagespeed score on that site was in the 50s-60s iirc :(

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • edited October 2021

Divi looks like a good choice until you start working with SEO and other optimization. You can, for example, not add rel="sponsored"* to a button.

I regret that I bought a lifetime license some years ago because I have wasted so much time making workarounds for stuff that you would expect that worked out of the box.

*) https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/qualify-outbound-links

Thanked by (1)quicksilver03
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@frog said:
    Divi looks like a good choice until you start working with SEO and other optimization. You can, for example, not add rel="sponsored"* to a button.

I regret that I bought a lifetime license some years ago because I have wasted so much time making workarounds for stuff that you would expect that worked out of the box.

*) https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/qualify-outbound-links

Yes, quite strange to not allow custom link tags for buttons.
    Though, I'd bet a beer that adding "nofollow" (which is possible) will be enough as far as Google is concerned - if an affiliate/paid promotion link has to be done via a button.

What other SEO related problems did you have?
    What other optimization related problems?

Can you compare it to other page builders (not themes)?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited November 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

Though, I'd bet a beer that adding "nofollow" (which is possible) will be enough as far as Google is concerned - if an affiliate/paid promotion link has to be done via a button.

Yes, for now, because the ugc and sponsored are relatively new attributes. Updating all pages when that changes will be a nightmare.

@bikegremlin said:

I no longer use Divi, and I don't remember all the problems in detail. But I very often ended up making the page content manually.
    Each time I asked ElegantThemes support for help with technical SEO issues, they came up with a jQuery workaround that rarely worked.

The last time I checked, Elementor was up to date when it comes to SEO. But it was some time ago. My needs have changed, so today, I program my websites with Django.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
    edited November 2021

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

Yes, for now, because the ugc and sponsored are relatively new attributes. Updating all pages when that changes will be a nightmare.

@bikegremlin said:

I no longer use Divi, and I don't remember all the problems in detail. But I very often ended up making the page content manually.
    Each time I asked ElegantThemes support for help with technical SEO issues, they came up with a jQuery workaround that rarely worked.

The last time I checked, Elementor was up to date when it comes to SEO. But it was some time ago. My needs have changed, so today, I program my websites with Django.

A simple search-replace can fix the nofollow problem - unless Google starts penalizing links that have "nofollow sponsored sponsored" - if you already have some links with "nofollow sponsored," and some with just the "nofollow." But that too can be fixed with another search-replace. :)

My websites are full of "ordinary" (not done using buttons) affiliate links that are just "nofollow." If it becomes an issue, I think I'll go the search-replace route instead of editing hundreds of links manually.

As for the other problems you mentioned - how long ago have you stopped using Divi, i.e. how up-to-date is your feedback? Asking because from what I could gather, they did improve noticeably. Over two years ago, I was comparing the available options and at that time, Elementor looked like the lesser of the available evils (good tutorials did play a large part in my decision). But now I'm giving Divi a test and it's not looking bad (still learning the ropes though).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• edited November 2021

I stopped using Divi last year.

Since "nofollow" and "sponsored" means 2 different things, it is risky to replace them all with find and replace.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I guess Divi is now on my list should I ever have a project backed by a budget in the future.

Hopefully it stays relatively affordable?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited November 2021

Well - Divi seems to still be relying on shortcodes.

When you remove Elementor (for whatever reason), you get the basic of the layout still existing.
    When you remove Divi - you just get [divi-shortcode-xyz fsdljkfalkjsdfkljsadfklsdjafklsdjfkljsdflksdjflkčsdfkljfsdfds]

That's something to consider. Especially if you build a lot of pages with Divi.

Also, Elementor seems a bit more intuitive, but maybe it's just me - needing to get used to a different tool.
    Top class super fast support though - it must be said.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

@frog said:

@bikegremlin said:

A simple search-replace can fix the nofollow problem - unless Google starts penalizing links that have "nofollow sponsored sponsored" - if you already have some links with "nofollow sponsored," and some with just the "nofollow." But that too can be fixed with another search-replace. :)

My websites are full of "ordinary" (not done using buttons) affiliate links that are just "nofollow." If it becomes an issue, I think I'll go the search-replace route instead of editing hundreds of links manually.

As for the other problems you mentioned - how long ago have you stopped using Divi, i.e. how up-to-date is your feedback? Asking because from what I could gather, they did improve noticeably. Over two years ago, I was comparing the available options and at that time, Elementor looked like the lesser of the available evils (good tutorials did play a large part in my decision). But now I'm giving Divi a test and it's not looking bad (still learning the ropes though).

The rel="sponsored" etc seem to be indeed an issue. Didn't need it so far. There seems to be yet another workaround on Stacksocial (not tested): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60694552/can-we-add-attributes-to-buttons-in-divi-theme

@MichaelCee I have been with them since a couple of years now and, so far, it doesn't seem like the Lifetime Deal will be discontinued. That being said, bf is around the door ;)