G Suite free edition no longer available starting July 1, 2022

If you have the G Suite legacy free edition, you need to upgrade to a paid Google Workspace subscription to keep your services. The G Suite legacy free edition will no longer be available starting July 1, 2022.

Google link

If you have the G Suite legacy free edition, you need to upgrade to a paid Google Workspace subscription to keep your services. The G Suite legacy free edition will no longer be available starting May 1, 2022. Starting May 1, Google will seamlessly transition you to Google Workspace, which you can use at no cost until July 1, 2022.

Google link

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Comments

• First comment by me

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2022

Still trying to figure out difference between first and second paragraphs. Except extra words and dates in the latter.

Summoning @deank for the TL;DR version.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • time to migrate from GSuite I guess...

Anyone taking in GSuite refugees?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Another 6 months to go. They suspend account in July 2022.
    Best to download all the data anyway.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@terrorgen said: Anyone taking in GSuite refugees?

MetalVPS is good! :)

@Iroshan464 said: Another 6 months to go.

Hi @Iroshan464 ! Nice to see you! :)

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited January 2022

@Not_Oles said:

@terrorgen said: Anyone taking in GSuite refugees?

I heard it is not recommended to self host mail servers anymore due to spam filtering?

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@terrorgen said: I heard it is not recommended to self host mail servers anymore due to spam filtering?

Definitely one of the two main reasons frequently offered for not hosting your own Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) server. The other reason is that the architecture nowadays is too complicated with SPF, DKIM, and DMARC plus even more.

To these two reasons I would add, respecting Darkstar, that neighbors might have root access plus the server OS is ephemeral. So Darkstar truly is a great place to learn setting up and configuring email but maybe not a great place for a long term running service where you want privacy.

As for me, I have a couple of email MTA servers set up and each of these also has a backup MTA on a different network with a different provider. None of these are on Darkstar. Although they could be.

From time to time I do have trouble with my emails getting dumped into the recipient's spam folder. Spamification most often seems to occur with "dumb" test emails such as "Hey, did this hit your inbox or go into spam?" If I write an email that actually has content, it usually ends up in the recipients' inboxes regardless of whether I have written to them before or not. Luckily I have parallel channels of communication with most everyone with who I exchange emails.

I have a lot of fun reading the email logs and doing crazy stuff like using my one line of awk mail user agent (MUA) to read emails, and hand decoding with base64. Some of the "postmaster@" folks are really nice! I recommend signing up for the mailing list at mailop.org.

Best wishes and kindest regards! :)

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Looks like @seriesn has a great deal for refugees like me.

Great deal even without specials.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @Not_Oles said:

terrorgen said: Anyone taking in GSuite refugees?

@Iroshan464 said: Another 6 months to go.

Hi @Iroshan464 ! Nice to see you! :)

Been lurking around. 🙂
    Little busy with work and life...
    See you around.👍

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I have 2 domains on 2 legacy accounts, one is for the family, the other stores all my google photos.

Along with the price increase from Hetzner, looks like it will be a busy couple of weeks.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said: I have 2 domains on 2 legacy accounts, one is for the family, the other stores all my google photos.

did you get actual notifications from google for it, or is it just what's on the news?

@Falzo said:

@mikho said: I have 2 domains on 2 legacy accounts, one is for the family, the other stores all my google photos.

did you get actual notifications from google for it, or is it just what's on the news?

I got the notification from google and on all my accounts (I admin a third account) there is a notification that the free version will end on July 1st.
    With the price per user, I might as well move all of them to my M365 subscription.

• edited January 2022

@mikho said:

@Falzo said:

@mikho said: I have 2 domains on 2 legacy accounts, one is for the family, the other stores all my google photos.

I got the notification from google and on all my accounts (I admin a third account) there is a notification that the free version will end on July 1st.

thanks, I was looking for that information, because I have a very old account that was registered as NDO back in the day and has only two active users left. it never was fiddled with, no owner or domain change or things like, it's just been there... so far I did not see any notification anywhere on that one. maybe I am lucky and it keeps it's NPO/free status?

With the price per user, I might as well move all of them to my M365 subscription.

if it's family and the subscription exists already, that seems like the most logical step.

@Falzo

It only shows on https://admin.google.com
    In the billing information (writing from memory and trying to translate from Swedish) :)

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• @mikho said:
    @Falzo

It only shows on https://admin.google.com
    In the billing information (writing from memory and trying to translate from Swedish) :)

yeah I looked everywhere already and can actually see nothing that has that date or the word 'end' on it ;-)
    guess I'll wait and see...

Does this link work @Falzo ?
    https://admin.google.com/ac/billing/subscriptions

Thats where I see it

• yep, that works, but there is nothing on it... seems I am not alone with that, over on OGF the discussion also just goes around this. seems that really old accounts might not be affected by it yet. as said also this one was signed specifically for a non-profit organisation, so maybe that's why it is handled differently.

🤷🏻‍♂️ yeah, I know, I am old...

@Falzo said:
    signed specifically for a non-profit organisation, so maybe that's why it is handled differently.

I think you might be on to something with this

Thanked by (1)Falzo

• @mikho said:

@Falzo said:
    signed specifically for a non-profit organisation, so maybe that's why it is handled differently.

I think you might be on to something with this

at least I hope so. back in the day, quite some things were accepted as 'organisation' and non-profit was even the easy part ;-)

• I have 3 gsuite and all say "You are on the G Suite legacy free-of-charge edition. Consider upgrading to Google Workspace Business Starter."

There is no end date and haven't received any email

Thanked by (1)Falzo

@nfn said:
    I have 3 gsuite and all say "You are on the G Suite legacy free-of-charge edition. Consider upgrading to Google Workspace Business Starter."

Found that 2 of my 3 accounts have the same text.
    Unfortunatly the one for my family will be ”converted” to a paid alternative.

• @nfn said:
    I have 3 gsuite and all say "You are on the G Suite legacy free-of-charge edition. Consider upgrading to Google Workspace Business Starter."

Checked my account dashboard and that's what it says... so... do I migrate?

@terrorgen said:

@nfn said:

Checked my account dashboard and that's what it says... so... do I migrate?

I would (and I am) planning for a move but waiting until it changes from "Consider" to "upgrade or get shut down".

• @nfn said:

I have that text, but when I click on the link, it’s crystal clear that it’ll be ending in July.

• @debaser said:

@nfn said:

I have that text, but when I click on the link, it’s crystal clear that it’ll be ending in July.

can confirm that clicking that link will lead you here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217?hl=en

Time to flee!

• hostartshostarts Hosting Provider

That's a very bad news,

I have a client with more than 200 email accounts :astonished:

Web Hosting - VPS Cloud - EU Dedicated Offers Managed Hosting Made Easy Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, Colocation, VPS, Shared & Reseller Hosting

• In the coming months, we'll provide an option for you to move your non-Google Workspace paid content and most of your data to a no-cost option. This new option won't include premium features like custom email or multi-account management. You'll be able to evaluate this option prior to July 1, 2022 and prior to account suspension. We'll update this article with details in the coming months.

Source

• @hostarts said:
    That's a very bad news,

I have a client with more than 200 email accounts :astonished:

Congratulations on your first post.

• @Iroshan464 said:
    https://9to5google.com/2022/01/26/g-suite-legacy-free-personal-non-business/

Best to wait without upgrading for a few months.

I wouldn’t hold my breath though. Microsoft has a personal offer for some time now, Google never countered that offer. It won’t hurt them either.

The smartest thing for personal users is moving to Microsoft 365.