You have a 128GB *Write Once* Drive, what are you putting on it?

MasonMason AdministratorOG

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/verbatim-write-once-ssd

Interesting product. I can see it being used for regulatory / archival purposes. If you had 24 hours to fill it up with data, what would you put on it if it's guaranteed to last at least 10 years?

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

Comments

• I'd put my previous po - ./......

Ehm, unix iso.

Thanked by (3)Janevski Talistech brejski

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• It could be useful as a logging device if it had an erase feature that couldn't be activated through the normal computer port. I've sometimes wanted something like that for audit purposes.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited May 2022

@deank said:
    I'd put my previous po - ./......

Ehm, unix iso.

I too have an extensive... erm... unix iso collection that i would store for posterity

Thanked by (1)lentro

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

im selling it to get a cheaper flash drive 🤭

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

edited May 2022

@cybertech said:

Invalid answer. Your drive has been filled with 12,345 Shrek memes and you are required to view the complete slideshow with your family in exactly 10 years.

Thanked by (2)lentro AlwaysSkint

• Dump RAM to it :P

• @cybertech said:

I'm selling it to pay renewals on HostHatch and PulsedMedia storage accounts.
    One SSD won't survive a fire or theft.
    Two storage accounts would, especially if they have disjoint sets of SSH keys.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• edited May 2022

anything related to LAW , GDPR , Audit logs, Embassy, Library, facts etc ....

Thanked by (3)Ympker Janevski Daniel
  • I think that the following comment on that page (by the moderator USAFRet) makes sense:

Again, this device has nothing to do with regular consumer use.

From the product page discussing example usage scenarios, it might have particular appeal in Japan, as it is said to be "compliant with the revised Electronic Bookkeeping Law" in that country. Japanese law requires electronic transactions that can "ensure truth," "ensure visibility" and be retained for at least seven years. A file system tool provided by Verbatim can verify the data on the drive with a recording log that maintains the file name, date and time, hash value (SHA-256).

Thanked by (2)ehab Mason

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @deank said:

Ehm, unix iso.

FreeBDSM ISOs. :relieved:

Thanked by (1)Mason

@angstrom said: I think that the following comment on that page (by the moderator USAFRet) makes sense

Yeah, totally! I don't see many use cases that would make this marketable to the average consumer. Just am curious how creative y'all are and what would be deemed "worthy" of saving for 10+ years without modification.

Thanked by (1)angstrom

• @Mason said:

@angstrom said: I think that the following comment on that page (by the moderator USAFRet) makes sense

Yeah, totally! I don't see many use cases that would make this marketable to the average consumer. Just am curious how creative y'all are and what would be deemed "worthy" of saving for 10+ years without modification.

I have some document management items and some family photos.

Thanked by (2)Mason AlwaysSkint
  • Surely same use as a CDROM with the exception of speed and capacity.
    So my answer would be the videos and photos I made of my parents (both dead now). I already have backups on multiple providers however this sort of thing is private. Also having this sort of device would make me feel that in an emergency I know I still have everything.
    It also means that it would be easier for other generations to use rather than using my cloud providers.

• rootroot OG
    edited May 2022

This is good for cold storage of family pictures and videos, as backup for 10+ years, like CDs and DVDs were used in the past.

The only problem might be it's price. It must be really cheap; otherwise good old HDDs will still be better for long-term cold storage (if plugged-in for a few moments, every couple of years, to move the oil inside).

How are you... online?

• @Mason said:

@cybertech said:

Invalid answer. Your drive has been filled with 12,345 Shrek memes and you are required to view the complete slideshow with your family in exactly 10 years.

Wrong.

his disk will have

12,345 copies of

• @msatt said:
    Surely same use as a CDROM with the exception of speed and capacity.
    So my answer would be the videos and photos I made of my parents (both dead now). I already have backups on multiple providers however this sort of thing is private. Also having this sort of device would make me feel that in an emergency I know I still have everything.
    It also means that it would be easier for other generations to use rather than using my cloud providers.

+1

Some time back, I seem to have lost all pictures from 2000-2018; (ahem... misplaced is the official version) - including some scanned copies of now-destroyed hard copies. While I am sure they exist somewhere in cyberspace, a read only speedy disk would be ideal to avoid such embarrassments in the future.

• @root said:
    This is good for cold storage of family pictures and videos, as backup for 10+ years, like CDs and DVDs were used in the past.

The only problem might be it's price. It must be really cheap; otherwise good old HDDs will still be better for long-term cold storage (if plugged-in for a few moments, every couple of years, to move the oil inside).

Almost guaranteed to be expensive, plus it seems that one will need to use their proprietary software, and it's not clear whether Linux will be supported

For the general public, It sounds like a no-go

Thanked by (1)skorous

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• genuinely can't think of anything i'd use it for, i certainly wouldn't buy one. gonna vote with the "sell it and buy something useful" guys.

Thanked by (1)Logano

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

This sounds like a lot of e-waste
    Although, I think I would find some use in it for important data like SSH keys or backup tokens :)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @ehab said:
    anything related to LAW , GDPR , Audit logs, Embassy, Library, facts etc ....

Exactly this. This drive sounds quite useful for anything that needs an immutable audit trail, such as for regulatory reasons.

Thanked by (2)ehab Tin
  • @deank said:

Ehm, unix iso.

unixXX file is the only thing that can keep me alive when SHTF
    and it will be a hot commodity post nuclear winter.
    I might need hundreds of this for different taste, err distro flavors.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • edited May 2022

Windoze updates archive - oops, not big enough.

As mentioned, personal & family photos/videos seems to be the obvious choice, especially as I'm seeing some of my older audio CDs showing a scattering pin holes (a worrying trend). DVD-R/CD-R are more prone to 'rust', IIRC.

Business backups, held in a vault.

I surmise that perhaps a power up of the SSD, every 5 years or so, along with a fsck/badblocks would refresh the chip(s) enough to extend data retention. Maybe even a copy/compare process.

Thanked by (1)Mason

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• rootroot OG
    edited May 2022

I think one could also buy a few Blu-Ray disks with a Blu-Ray writer, and achieve the same results, now.

How are you... online?

• You guys joke, but archiving the entire series of MLP on this thing would be fantastic for a post-WWIII apocalypse getaway.
    Include actual usable *nix isos with common tools and drivers to make use of even the most trashed machines in the hellscape we call "The Wastelands"
    Power plant, industrial process management software, design software, editing software, instructional how tos, LOTS of books.

• edited May 2022

@ZizzyDizzyMC said: "The Wastelands"
    Power plant, industrial process..

And nothing to keep them powered up. ;)

Thanked by (1)chimichurri

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@ZizzyDizzyMC said: "The Wastelands"
    Power plant, industrial process..

And nothing to keep them powered up. ;)

If you don't already know how to wire up your own generator / alternator from scrap parts you're not doing life right.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • Backing up some photos

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

A collection of all the good classic games :D
    HoMM, AoE, Stronghold, CS 1.6, Lego Racers, NFS, King's Bounty, Minecraft, MB Warband, Dungeon Lords, Oblivion/Morrowind.

Give me those and I can play florever.

• If they are provably write-once, then these disks can definitely serve a purpose for auditing, record keeping, and forensic purposes. A lot of professional use-cases for that.