HostMantis to migrate customers to "DynamicHosting.ca"

Comments

• @MikeA said:
    I have thought about it throughout the past month or two, it might be something that I offer on a case by case basis to individuals that I deem would use it for the right purpose. I've just always been afraid of people using reseller plans for profit purposes and not caring what or who they put on them. I would not let reseller hosting ruin reliability/performance for shared hosting clients, so I've never done it so far.
    I totally get people wanting reseller for their own sites, or small business sites that need isolation (or just to have the account data separate).

I have several servers/vps but I still host my main site with you, I really hope you would start offering reseller soon.

• edited June 2022

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:
    A. good riddance
    B. Glad I exited in June

So either HM are ready to get acquired / sold to a bigger player (read: Premium player) and are offloading LE customers, or they have some other plans.

Dynamic Hosting will be managing all monitoring, technical support, and billing services accordingly.

In either case, I wish them well.

Edit: What is the response in OGF like? Haven't been there is a while

It basically sounds like an acquisition even though they call it "partnering".

I've had asked their support specifically about this. They replied the following:

HostMantis said:
    HostMantis has been acquired by Dynamic Hosting and as of July 1, 2022 all HostMantis assets will be transferred to Dynamic Hosting’s ownership.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@webcraft said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:
    A. good riddance
    B. Glad I exited in June

So either HM are ready to get acquired / sold to a bigger player (read: Premium player) and are offloading LE customers, or they have some other plans.

Dynamic Hosting will be managing all monitoring, technical support, and billing services accordingly.

In either case, I wish them well.

Edit: What is the response in OGF like? Haven't been there is a while

It basically sounds like an acquisition even though they call it "partnering".

I've had asked their support specifically about this. They replied the following:

HostMantis said:
    HostMantis has been acquired by Dynamic Hosting and as of July 1, 2022 all HostMantis assets will be transferred to Dynamic Hosting’s ownership.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited June 2022

Just tried DA to DA migration to MyW.pt.
    Worked like a charm for our huge-database motorcycling forum.
    Edit: I used to do this via SSH, since PhpMyAdmin DB import would fail, no matter how I set the max PHP upload file size limit.
    This is a lot faster and simpler.

Procedure, using the DirectAdmin (DA) "Create/Restore backups" option and Cloudflare:

1)
    On HostMantis, go to
    DA "SSL certificates" options, copy to clipboard and then
    on MyW choose the "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key" option.

This eliminates the DA's 30-minute SSL creation problem when creating a new account that still isn't pointed to it.

2)
    Create a new account on MyW.
    Create a "backups" directory in the root on MyW.

3)
    HM DA - Create backup.
    Open the "backups" directory in root and download the backup.

4)
    Upload the backup file to MyW backups directory.
    MyW DA - Restore backup.

5)
    Cloudflare - edit the IPs (have the mail. subdomain, if used on the server, orange-cloud, temporarily, for faster propagation).

6)
    Test the SSL/TLS cert. creation to confirm it works.
    Grey-cloud the mail. subdomain if needed (if used, won't work "orange-clouded").

zerodowntime

fastnpurrious

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:
    Just tried DA to DA migration to MyW.pt.
    Worked like a charm for our huge-database motorcycling forum.
    Edit: I used to do this via SSH, since PhpMyAdmin DB import would fail, no matter how I set the max PHP upload file size limit.
    This is a lot faster and simpler.

Procedure, using the DirectAdmin (DA) "Create/Restore backups" option and Cloudflare:

1)
    On HostMantis, go to
    DA "SSL certificates" options, copy to clipboard and then
    on MyW choose the "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key" option.

This eliminates the DA's 30-minute SSL creation problem when creating a new account that still isn't pointed to it.

2)
    Create a new account on MyW.
    Create a "backups" directory in the root on MyW.

3)
    HM DA - Create backup.
    Open the "backups" directory in root and download the backup.

4)
    Upload the backup file to MyW backups directory.
    MyW DA - Restore backup.

5)
    Cloudflare - edit the IPs (have the mail. subdomain, if used on the server, orange-cloud, temporarily, for faster propagation).

6)
    Test the SSL/TLS cert. creation to confirm it works.
    Grey-cloud the mail. subdomain if needed (if used, won't work "orange-clouded").

zerodowntime

fastnpurrious

Also just migrated my ultimate website with
    HM to @MikePT and it was super smooth :)

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @bikegremlin said:

zerodowntime

fastnpurrious

I see no family word with your Vin Diesel meme. Your bandwidth renewal price has been doubled.

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Wolveix ariq01
  • .#mywptgang

.#purple…. Oh wait !!

Nice going @bikegremlin

Thanked by (3)Ympker bikegremlin MikePT

Squats are the new Push-ups

edited June 2022

Most of my (and client) sites are working fine with MyW.pt at the moment (my MyW experience).
    Thanks @MikePT

At the same time, I started testing MDDHosting Elastic Reseller (my initial impressions - so far so good). As this situation showed, it's always a good idea to have a good-quality, tried and tested alternative. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker MikePT

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:
    Most of my (and client) sites are working fine with MyW.pt at the moment (my MyW experience).
    Thanks @MikePT

At the same time, I started testing MDDHosting Elastic Reseller (my initial impressions - so far so good). As this situation showed, it's always a good idea to have a good-quality, tried and tested alternative. :)

@bikegremlin Thanks for sharing your experience with other people. Your experience is helping me and other (former) Hostmantis customers as well.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Hello world.

• edited July 2022

Apparently Narivon is the parent company and dynamichosting just another brand of them. Got a weired email but seems legit as it contains my product cancellation date (which is already cancelled, my account apparently still exists even though I requested deletion).

• @bikegremlin said:
    Thanks @MikePT

whats your experience in terms of support with @MikePT ? obviously with reseller or shared hosting you dont need much support but sometime its good to have one in case of emergency

edited July 2022

@wordpress said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks @MikePT

whats your experience in terms of support with @MikePT ? obviously with reseller or shared hosting you dont need much support but sometime its good to have one in case of emergency

Here's my drivel on MyW tech. support.

And yes, my main concern is the "what ifs." For my own websites - I always have backups, so I can easily move them.
    For any client sites - well, the same, perhaps with a "losing millions" call. :)

Though I've had a few hour+ long downtimes even with good, 24/7 support providers (very, very rarely, that's among the main differences between the good and the bad providers).

So, the way I see it (and do it), it boils down to having up-to-date backups, being able to "move" quickly, and not keeping all the eggs in one basket.

See chapters 13 and 14 in my VeeroTech review. Shit just happens sometimes, that's normal. Most (normal :) ) people expect it's normal when stuff works, but entropy and chaos are a natural state which all the elements are inclined towards. The way I see it, with the complexity of modern tech. stacks needed to run a WordPress website (for example), I'm more surprised it ever does work, than I am when something breaks (what I call a Catch 22 deadlock).

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited July 2022

@wordpress said: whats your experience in terms of support with @MikePT ? obviously with reseller or shared hosting you dont need much support but sometime its good to have one in case of emergency

My 2 cents:

My first ticket (Oct 2020) was 3 day response, my second ticket (June 2021) was 20 minutes. I always mark as low priority and try to let providers know it's not a big deal. Always friendly and sorts anything out. In an emergency, I imagine it will be closer to the 20 mins than the 3 days.

@MichaelCee said:

@wordpress said: whats your experience in terms of support with @MikePT ? obviously with reseller or shared hosting you dont need much support but sometime its good to have one in case of emergency

My 2 cents:

My first ticket (Oct 2020) was 3 day response, my second ticket (June 2021) was 20 minutes. I always mark as low priority and try to let providers know it's not a big deal. Always friendly and sorts anything out. In an emergency, I imagine it will be closer to the 20 mins than the 3 days.

+1
    Just checked: I've used the service since 2019, and haven't had a single ticket that was urgent (like a website down, and I'm awake to notice it :) or anything else I'd consider urgent/serious).

Also, the only tickets that weren't set to low priority, were set so because I had forgotten to edit the default "medium" priority. :)

Thanked by (3)Ympker MichaelCee MikePT

• Guys, regarding this hostmantis selling - what you will do on my place?
    I got their Enterprise Reseller account, bought them couple month ago. Around ~$200/yr.
    Should I stay with them or should I go? (c)

I mean, my sites still works flawlessly, but I'm a little bit worried about this situation.
    And I still have not received any emails regarding new account etc...

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

@SashkaPro said:
    Guys, regarding this hostmantis selling - what you will do on my place?
    I got their Enterprise Reseller account, bought them couple month ago. Around ~$200/yr.
    Should I stay with them or should I go? (c)

I mean, my sites still works flawlessly, but I'm a little bit worried about this situation.

go away, don't expect a deadpool

Thanked by (1)vyas

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• @SashkaPro said:

They stated new account and everything will happen around August 1st so there's a couple weeks left to send information about this.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I have still two years left on my current plan, but not really eager on seeing how it goes.

I’m looking for a ‘set and forget’ kind of host, not managed but just stable. Miguel is great, but I don’t see MyW continuing their business this way for another two years, so still very much in limbo.

• @debaser said:
    I have still two years left on my current plan, but not really eager on seeing how it goes.

I’m looking for a ‘set and forget’ kind of host, not managed but just stable. Miguel is great, but I don’t see MyW continuing their business this way for another two years, so still very much in limbo.

Hostmantis should remain such "set and forget" host as their staff moved along and it seems like the new hosts isn't known for bad support.

• @webcraft said:

@debaser said:
    I have still two years left on my current plan, but not really eager on seeing how it goes.

Hostmantis should remain such "set and forget" host as their staff moved along and it seems like the new hosts isn't known for bad support.

You may be right, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Not with regard to support, uptime and I can imagine they'll want to get rid of my pretty cheap subscription too.

edited July 2022

For what it's worth (I think that watching what people do is more telling than hearing what they say):

1)
    Soon after hearing about the HostMantis sale/partnership, I moved all the sites to MyW US and DE servers.

2)
    Started testing MDDHosting (so far, quite good).

3)
    This Saturday, in the early afternoon, I saw 80% of the WP sites on the MyW US server show broken pages or return a 5xx error.
    Moved half the sites to MyW's German server, and the other half to MDDHosting.

4)
    Thinking out loud:
    Currently, all the stuff that makes money and that can cause angry phone calls if it stops working is with MDDHosting.
    In case of any problems, my first B plan is Veerotech reseller hosting (hope they're still as good as they used to be).

I'm yet to see what HostMantis service is like after they "settle in."
    Nothing but a test site there, for now (I was optimistic stupid enough to pay for enough account credits, so have nothing to lose by giving it a test for a few more months :) ).

Thanked by (1)MikePT

edited July 2022

@bikegremlin said:

Happy with @MikePT MyW for now <3

Clients are happy on IONOS atm. (no resource-intensive sites; usually only monthly/quarterly content updates).
    They are better than their reputation, perhaps.

If I had to switch to another provider, I'd either go with good old AllInkl, or give UnlimitedWebHosting.co.uk (Established 2009) another try. Yeah, unlimited hosts yada yada, but they have been around for a long time and Trustpilot reviews, in case they are genuine, are quite good. Of course, the sites I would put on there would probably be 10GB in size altogether, not 100GB per site, like some people would interpret (=abuse) "unlimited". I interpret such a term as a peace of mind definition where the host contacts me if my usage is too high and offers me options to upgrade or I just move on. No hard feelings there (aio wp backup&restore 2clicks).

Hetzner would probably also be a solid backup for hosting.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin MikePT
  • For set and forget hosts, I would highly recommend Crocweb.
    I have personal blog and few crm hosted there and never faced any unexpected downtimes. And everything is intact and no data loss or any failures, for almost 8 years now.
    The only downside is, they offer only Canada location.

Thanked by (3)Ympker vyas bikegremlin

@coo said:
    For set and forget hosts, I would highly recommend Crocweb.
    I have personal blog and few crm hosted there and never faced any unexpected downtimes. And everything is intact and no data loss or any failures, for almost 8 years now.

Have you tried their DirectAdmin hosting or cPanel?

• @bikegremlin said:

@coo said:
    For set and forget hosts, I would highly recommend Crocweb.

Have you tried their DirectAdmin hosting or cPanel?

cPanel.
    They started directAdmin recently.

• Has anyone even heard of DynamicHosting.ca? It's fishy that a well-known brand gets taken over by such a bland company that I have never heard of.

Vladimir S. - IT Consultant, Entrepreneur, Web Developer, and Disability Advocate.

[email protected] | www.ivlad.net

@phxwolf said:
    Has anyone even heard of DynamicHosting.ca? It's fishy that a well-known brand gets taken over by such a bland company that I have never heard of.

I had a video chat with one of the guys from their team.
    Here's my personal impression (didn't get this clearly confirmed, take it with a bucket of salt):

They are trying to figure out how to move on.
    For example, they don't offer reseller hosting.
    I know a good Serbian provider who doesn't either but offers VPS to certain customers who require more than shared hosting.

The "vibe" (I know, I know :) ) I got was that the person I was talking to is trying to see how to make things work for everyone involved, making a living, like everyone else. Seemed pretty competent (I'd bet a beer they'd manage a dedi better than anyone from my day-job company), but not experienced with reseller hosting.

It all looks quite strange.

To me, it seems like HostMantis' current pricing should allow for high-quality hardware, good admins and good tech. support.

However, the way this sale (that they won't call a sale so I'm not sure what it really is) is communicated - as far as I'm concerned, it's a completely new provider I've had no previous experience with... no one's had any experience with in fact.

That's a risky thing to try. So, at the cost of sounding like I think too highly of myself, I offered to keep a few sites there and do testing and send feedback for free - but I wasn't willing to pay for the hosting, and spend my time on trying to figure out if they're still as good (or better :) ). I think that's fair, considering the good service history, and I consider it doing them a favour (I know, it does sound a bit "I'm so important"). :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker iVlad

@phxwolf said:
    Has anyone even heard of DynamicHosting.ca? It's fishy that a well-known brand gets taken over by such a bland company that I have never heard of.

I thought so, too. Never heard of them.

• @Ympker said:

@phxwolf said:

I thought so, too. Never heard of them.

It's just a brand. Their parent company, nerivon.com, appears to be around for longer and fullfilled one or the other local (public?) contract for web development. Never heared of them though but you can find one or the other thing about them and their director. Still no guarantee.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I didn’t wait and actually choose a local provider to migrate my own stuff to. Paying yearly what I paid for 3 years at HostMantis, but that wasn’t gonna last anyway.

Migration was pretty easy: DirectAdmin-> DirectAdmin. I really love DA and hate CPanel with a passion, so having DA was a must. Luckily that has been the golden standard for Dutch budget hosters for about 15 years. So I had plenty to choose from.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker