Free One Year Shell Accounts From MetalVPS! -- Make Your Own VPS From The Command Line!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@jqr said:

@Not_Oles said:

[root@polonium ~]# git clone https://github.com/SushantKadam73/hybrid-cryptography.git

Just a friendly comment:

Thanks for your friendly attitude and for your desire to help! Much appreciated! <3

I would suggest you don't download random code (or even stay logged in) as root.

Excellent advice!

I know you didn't run anything, and maybe this is a VM, but I still think it's a good practice to avoid those habits.

Yeah, lowering shields under circumstances which seem entirely safe can lead to bad habits which cause evil outcomes in subsequent times of stress.

Polonium is the name of the MetalVPS server currently designated for edgy stuff. Polonium runs no services. Nobody else is using polonium. Unless one of our friends is there without me knowing it. :)

The server being offered in this thread is named crunchy. I will try to be careful on crunchy. Thanks to you, again, for reminding me!

By the way, since you are a jqr, "pronounced hacker," may I please ask what is your all time favorite hack?

I would vote for Ken Thompson's compiler login hack described in his Turing Award paper and recently commented on.

Another hack I really like is Tavis Ormandy's getting Lotus 1-2-3 running natively on Linux.

Best wishes!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@darkhorse73 said: @Not_Oles said: One interesting thing is that the text on both sites seems word for word identical!

@darkhorse73 said: On the left the titles which are in bold are working and you can try them for yourself. all the codes is not that refined as i am yet to be proficient.

just refresh, then enter a number or word for string matching
    https://algovisualizer.live/
    linear search - https://algovisualizer.live/searching/linear.html
    binary search - https://algovisualizer.live/searching/binary.html
    selection sort - https://algovisualizer.live/sorting/selection.html
    string matching - https://algovisualizer.live/string_matching/stringmatching.html
    Lowest common subsequence - https://algovisualizer.live/LCS/LCS.html

What would brilliant.org say about you using their text verbatim? Is that what happened? Should Brilliant be asked for their permission?

I haven't been able to look at Brilliant as carefully as I might. Brilliant has logins and pop-ups and fees. So I couldn't really see to what extent you improved on Brilliant's presentation.

Even though I do not understand very much of what you have done and even though I can't directly compare your work with Brilliant, maybe Brilliant might be impressed enough with your work to switch to your format?

@Not_Oles also if my validator plan fails I also do have another plan. I will setup forta nodes. the staking requirement is not high and has a upper ceiling hence wont need to do marketing that much. For starters it can be a great choice.

Oh wow! Sounds, again, so much like business use! How should MetalVPS handle the continuing hints from you, e.g., use of words like "staking" and "marketing," that sound like business use, which would violate the MetalVPS Terms of Service?

@darkhorse73 said: Actually, that was said by our external teacher who came for viva/orals.
    And our give for this project is https://kjsit.somaiya.edu.in/en/view-member/220066?type=faculty

Would it be okay for me to email your teacher requesting her reference for you?

Sorry . . . I don't mean to give you a hard time. And I do appreciate your persistence. Really! And I like your algorithm visualization project.

I guess I might want to ask crunchbiits if they are okay with you running your blockchain projects on their server. Honestly I do not know enough about blockchain to know what crunchbits might say. For what it is worth, I do believe that crunchbits has several guys on their team who have blockchain experience. Should I go ahead and ask crunchbits to contribute their insights?

Last but not least, if you read my most recent LES Talk post, How To Install KVM VPSes From The Command Line Using libvirt and virsh you might have noticed that connections direct to the VPSes initiated from the Wide Area Network aren't yet handled. Also, IPv6 connections aren't yet handled. So these two significant limitations are present on crunchy until either somebody helps with them or I figure them out myself. In addition to the Python tutorial, do you want to help with the networking setup? Thanks!

I hope you have a good day! Best wishes!

Tom

edited November 2023

Hey Otus!

@Otus9051 said: we are submitting thesis now?

I think it's great that @darkhorse73 is trying. Please avoid comments which might be construed as snarky.

I also think it's great that you are trying. So, congrats!

If I start seeing helpful comments from you all around LES, I will be impressed! I am reluctant to ask you to do anything I can't do myself, but just maybe you could teach me and the rest of us how to fix the connection initiated from the WAN issue and the IPv6 issue left over in https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/6778/how-to-install-kvm-vpses-from-the-command-line-using-libvirt-and-virsh/p1 ?

You already said that you want to compile Android on crunchy. I am keeping that in mind.

Best wishes! Thanks for your persistence too! :)

Thanked by (1)Otus9051

@darkhorse73 Just letting you know that I successfully downloaded the new pdf repo files. I looked quickly at most of them. Thank you for making these helpful files available! 🙂

@Not_Oles said:
    @darkhorse73 Just letting you know that I successfully downloaded the new pdf repo files. I looked quickly at most of them. Thank you for making these helpful files available! 🙂 I look forward to seeing your comments on the new questions I asked above. Thanks again! 🙂

• @Not_Oles said:
    By the way, since you are a jqr, "pronounced hacker," may I please ask what is your all time favorite hack?

Oh, man. I hate to pick a cliché, but Captain Crunch's phone network hack, mainly because it inspired the name for 2600 magazine and I have many fond memories of attending their meetings.

I would vote for Ken Thompson's compiler login hack described in his Turing Award paper and recently commented on.

Another hack I really like is Tavis Ormandy's getting Lotus 1-2-3 running natively on Linux.

I'll have to check these out. Thanks!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

It's pronounced hacker.

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hey Otus!

@Otus9051 said: we are submitting thesis now?

I think it's great that @darkhorse73 is trying. Please avoid comments which might be construed as snarky.

To make myself clear, I am not ridiculing their work but rather surprised that people would actually give their thesis to get validation, seems bizarre to me.

I also think it's great that you are trying. So, congrats!

If I start seeing helpful comments from you all around LES, I will be impressed! I am reluctant to ask you to do anything I can't do myself, but just maybe you could teach me and the rest of us how to fix the connection initiated from the WAN issue and the IPv6 issue left over in https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/6778/how-to-install-kvm-vpses-from-the-command-line-using-libvirt-and-virsh/p1 ?

I will try.

You already said that you want to compile Android on crunchy. I am keeping that in mind.

I have got a server to do that with an official maintainer tag, so I wont really need crunchy for Android, but rather randomly spinning up VMs to test stuff (distros, images, set up a small private network to deploy on some prod, etc)

Best wishes! Thanks for your persistence too! :)

Thank you!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

@jqr said: Oh, man. I hate to pick a cliché, but Captain Crunch's phone network hack, mainly because it inspired the name for 2600 magazine and I have many fond memories of attending their meetings.

Oh wow! I didn't know about Draper. I had heard of EasyWriter. And 2600. And phone hacking. Maybe the "crunch" theme now has found a recent incarnation in "crunchbits?"

Thanks for the links! <3

• @Not_Oles said:
    Oh wow! I didn't know about Draper. I had heard of EasyWriter. And 2600. And phone hacking. Maybe the "crunch" theme now has found a recent incarnation in "crunchbits?"

Thanks for the links! <3

Heh. Maybe, uh? The Lotus 1-2-3 link was very interesting too. I don't think I used it, but I did use dBase quite a bit back in the day.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

It's pronounced hacker.

• @Not_Oles said: What would brilliant.org say about you using their text verbatim? Is that what happened? Should Brilliant be asked for their permission?

Actually, as it was for demo purposes hence I didn't bother to think this far. You pointing this out made me realize that if i add this in my resume then the interviewer will also think the same way, so thanks for that. I will do the needful.

@Not_Oles said: So I couldn't really see to what extent you improved on Brilliant's presentation.

just the connection between the theory and the corresponding code.

@Not_Oles said: Even though I do not understand very much of what you have done and even though I can't directly compare your work with Brilliant, maybe Brilliant might be impressed enough with your work to switch to your format?

i think their target audience is the general public but my intended audience is students like me.

@Not_Oles said: that sound like business use, which would violate the MetalVPS Terms of Service?

ig yes. In my excitement, i missed reading the metalvps tnc I thought crunchbits tnc would matter the most.

@Not_Oles said: Would it be okay for me to email your teacher requesting her reference for you?

yes you absolutely can.

@Not_Oles said: Sorry . . . I don't mean to give you a hard time. And I do appreciate your persistence. Really! And I like your algorithm visualization project.

thanks really appreciate your efforts also :)

@Not_Oles said: Last but not least, if you read my most recent LES Talk post, How To Install KVM VPSes From The Command Line Using libvirt and virsh you might have noticed that connections direct to the VPSes initiated from the Wide Area Network aren't yet handled. Also, IPv6 connections aren't yet handled. So these two significant limitations are present on crunchy until either somebody helps with them or I figure them out myself. In addition to the Python tutorial, do you want to help with the networking setup? Thanks!

I don't understand the depth of the problem and i don't have any experience what so ever. but if i can solve it with chatgpt or online resources i can try.

Hi @darkhorse73!

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Having issues clearly identified is our critical, first step in solving them. So, let's please consider our discussion a success because we have identified several issues, including:

• "doing the needful" re Brilliant and your very nice Algovisualizer.live project,
    • business use and the MetalVPS Terms of Service,
    • crunchbits' view of your blockchain use case (they might be 100% okay with it, I just don't know),
    • reference from your professor,
    • networking setup on the server Node still incomplete and our mutual lack of networking knowledge, and
    • iGPU setup still incomplete on the server Node.

I am disappointed with myself regarding the server networking configuration issues. When I wrote the article about libvirt for LES Talk it was my first attempt at libvirt. I incorrectly assumed that I easily and quickly could finish the configuration. Additionally, crunchy's mediated iGPU passthrough has not yet been implemented.

So far, nobody but you, @darkhorse73, and @Otus9051 seems interested in using crunchy or in helping finish the libvirt, WAN IPv4, IPv6, or the iGPU configuration. Under the circumstances, one option might be to pause this offer thread until the incomplete configurations have been finished. Maybe the incomplete configurations might be accomplished more easily if the operating system were changed. Maybe someone who knows more might come aboard and teach us how to do whatever still needs to be done.

However, few people seem interested in the crunchy server project. Another option might exist besides pausing this thread while somebody knowledgeable provides help, and while more guys become interested. The additional option might be to abandon this thread and either to re-purpose or to cancel crunchy.

Maybe there also are additional options.

May I please ask everyone here, "What now, guys:

• pause,
    • cancel, or
    • something else?"

Thanks to @darkhorse73 and to @Otus9051 for expressing interest in participating. <3 Thanks to @crunchbits for its generosity! <3 Thanks to everyone here at wonderful LES! <3

• @Not_Oles I actually have a fix for the libvirt IP situation, just not enough time to do a writeup. I'll try to get a write-up done within today and send it on the respective thread.

Tschüss!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Otus9051 said:
    @Not_Oles I actually have a fix for the libvirt IP situation, just not enough time to do a writeup. I'll try to get a write-up done within today and send it on the respective thread.

Tschüss!

Please link to the sources of the information you use to construct the fix. Please indicate what testing you did to make sure your construction works.

Also, there is no big rush. It's okay if it doesn't happen today.

Thanks!

• edited December 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:
    @Not_Oles I actually have a fix for the libvirt IP situation, just not enough time to do a writeup. I'll try to get a write-up done within today and send it on the respective thread.

Tschüss!

Please link to the sources of the information you use to construct the fix. Please indicate what testing you did to make sure your construction works.

Also, there is no big rush. It's okay if it doesn't happen today.

Thanks!

I think I found a good writeup on the NAT IPv4 and IPv6 configuration
    https://jamielinux.com/docs/libvirt-networking-handbook/nat-based-network.html
    The website also has a good amount of libvirt networking docs you can follow

as for the iGPU, i would suggest to have an IPMI handy, because shit can and will go south.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

edited December 2023

Hi @Otus9051! Hi @darkhorse73! Hi everyone!

Yeah, Otus, that jamielinux page is very nice! Thanks for the suggestion!

If I understand correctly, crunchy's IP address resources include

• 1 x IPv4/32 assigned by crunchbits, and
    • 1 x IPv6/128, plus
    • 1 x routed IPv6/64 also assigned by crunchbits.

Crunchy also has

• a routed IPv6/64, and
    • a routed IPv6/48, both from HE TunnelBroker.net.

The HE IPv6 IPs are accessed via a Simple Internet Transition SIT tunnel.

Many people like to assign a /64 to each VM. I guess the main idea is to assign each VM its own IPv6/64 using either Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) based on each VM's Media Access Control (MAC) address, or else using DHCPv6.

Given crunchy's limited IP allocation, the only way we have enough IPv6 addresses to assign an IPv6/64 to each VM might be to use the /48 provided by the HE tunnel. Does it make any sense to try configuring crunchy's VMs to directly use only IPv4 NAT and to get their IPv6 over IPv4 NAT via the SIT tunnel?

Hmm. I guess, if crunchy only had two VMs, one could get the routed IPv6/64 from crunchbits and the other could get the routed IPv6/64 from HE?

As an alternative to using the SIT tunnel, previously, after some help, I have been able to configure VMs with individual VMs each getting 1 x IPv6/128. So we could give each VM something between a /64 and a /128.

As another alternative, could we get somebody to route some IPv4s to crunchy? If crunchy had a few IPv4s for her VMs, would it work to give each VM its own IPv4 plus a /64 from the /48 available via the HE tunnel?

For a completely different view of a possible VM structure, does it make any sense to try configuring crunchy's VMs as IPv6 only, but with IPv4 via IPv6 and Tayga?

Would LESbians be more interested in using crunchy if she were running another OS, perhaps Debian 12, or Proxmox instead of Rawhide?

Does anyone like the idea of making crunchy's VMs directly with qemu instead of using libvirt or Proxmox or any other complex, intermediate tool? The VMs that I previously made on Darkstar using just qemu seemed to work okay. I thought I got to learn a little about the iproute2 suite and about qemu by making Darkstar's VMs directly. Nothing against Proxmox and nothing against libvirt. Just wondering if it might be a little simpler and easier to work lower down in the VM creation tool hierarchy.

Is there a better way to use crunchy to benefit the LESbian community than making crunchy VMs?

A lot of very fun questions! :) Thanks everyone! <3

• @Not_Oles said:
    Given crunchy's limited IP allocation, the only way we have enough IPv6 addresses to assign an IPv6/64 to each VM might be to use the /48 provided by the HE tunnel. Does it make any sense to try configuring crunchy's VMs to directly use only IPv4 NAT and to get their IPv6 over IPv4 NAT via the SIT tunnel?

Lease a /48 from Otus.
    Announce via BGP.
    Everyone gets a /56.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

Lease a /48 from Otus.
    Announce via BGP.
    Everyone gets a /56.

I have a /40 so its not an issue for me, lots of /48s.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Otus9051 @yoursunny

Thanks, guys!

If I understand right, Otus can do the BGP? So all that's needed is for me to PM the existing IP allocations to Otus?

• edited December 2023

@Not_Oles said:
    @Otus9051 @yoursunny

Thanks, guys!

If I understand right, Otus can do the BGP? So all that's needed is for me to PM the existing IP allocations to Otus?

I need root access to crunchy with the bird2 package, your peering IPs, @crunchbits peering IP and ASN, and thats mostly it. I will be announcing from AS199693.

I will suppose that crunchbits will provide transit.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @Otus9051 @yoursunny

Thanks, guys!

I need root access to crunchy with the bird2 package, your peering IPs, @crunchbits peering IP and ASN, and thats mostly it. I will be announcing from AS199693.

How could we do it without me giving anyone root access just yet? I'm almost ready to give out root access, but not until after we hear from the other guys who will be using crunchy. I want to know whether it's okay with them to give out root access. If, before too long, it turns out that there are no other guys who are interested in using crunchy, then I will be delighted to consider giving you root access.

Also, I need to read up a little on bird2. I want to understand why you need bird2 while crunchbits can route a /64 to crunchy without bird2. If you know the answer, please share it.

@crunchbits Transit, please? <3

@darkhorse73 Are you still interested?

Anybody else want to join the crunchy party?

Thanks everyone! <3

• @Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @Otus9051 @yoursunny

Thanks, guys!

How could we do it without me giving anyone root access just yet? I'm almost ready to give out root access, but not until after we hear from the other guys who will be using crunchy. I want to know whether it's okay with them to give out root access. If, before too long, it turns out that there are no other guys who are interested in using crunchy, then I will be delighted to consider giving you root access.

Also, I need to read up a little on bird2. I want to understand why you need bird2 while crunchbits can route a /64 to crunchy without bird2. If you know the answer, please share it.

@crunchbits Transit, please? <3

@darkhorse73 Are you still interested?

Anybody else want to join the crunchy party?

Thanks everyone! <3

Tldr;
    I maybe wrong, but Crunchbits does BGP announcement and IP routings from their router to your VM. For your VM to act like a router and announce IPs, you need to use bird.

Thanked by (2)Otus9051 Not_Oles
  • edited December 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @Otus9051 @yoursunny

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I can send you the config after you provide me the details I requested. Also I only asked root access for setting up bird, nothing else.

As for the routed /64 by crunchbits, I will be setting up a BGP session with them to announce my ASN while Crunchbits already does that.

BIRD is a BGP Router Software which allows me to establish BGP sessions, there are alternatives like pathvector but I like BIRD more due to the syntax.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• You don't need root access.
    You just need a user in group bird.
    Or run bird using a specific user.

Or alternatively......
    I am already in Spokane in @crunchbits's DC and have an active BGP session with crunchbits. I can route you a /48 (I have a /44 from route48) but you'll have to set your IPv6 default route to my VM.
    This is probably going to eat my bandwidth. LoL.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:
    You don't need root access.
    You just need a user in group bird.
    Or run bird using a specific user.

I did not know that, thanks for the suggestion.

Or alternatively......
    I am already in Spokane in @crunchbits's DC and have an active BGP session with crunchbits. I can route you a /48 (I have a /44 from route48) but you'll have to set your IPv6 default route to my VM.
    This is probably going to eat my bandwidth. LoL.

Thats upto @Not_Oles

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Otus9051 said: I will be setting up a BGP session with them

I am not sure that crunchbits can do a bgp session for crunchy? Maybe bgp is not available for the class of crunchbits servers of which crunchy is a member? Maybe, if bgp were available for crunchy, crunchbits would have been able to give crunchy a crunchbits /48?

@crunchbits, could you please clarify whether Otus' IPv6/48 could be announced by crunchbits and added to crunchy? And, if yes, whether bird2 or equivalent would need to be installed on crunchy?

Thanks Otus! Thanks crunchbits! <3

Hi @terrorgen!

Thanks very much!

So now we might have the choice of using the HE /48, your /48, and Otus' /48. Or maybe even more than one of these. How do we judge which is best?

Also, how come nobody wants to offer crunchy a few IPv4s? I am guessing that here at LES we have a few wild IPv4s that could be added to crunchy? :)

Thanks again!

@sh97 said: I maybe wrong, but Crunchbits does BGP announcement and IP routings from their router to your VM. For your VM to act like a router and announce IPs, you need to use bird.

Hi @sh97!

You are great! Thanks for helping! Why does crunchy need to act as a router when both crunchbits and also Otus and also @terrorgen already have routers or something which acts as a router?

Thanks! Best!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@sh97 said: I maybe wrong, but Crunchbits does BGP announcement and IP routings from their router to your VM. For your VM to act like a router and announce IPs, you need to use bird.

Hi @sh97!

You are great! Thanks for helping! Why does crunchy need to act as a router when both crunchbits and also Otus and also @terrorgen already have routers or something which acts as a router?

Thanks! Best!

Tom

Latency and Simplicity.
    If I announce my IPs from Crunchy it would be very low latency, if I tunnel you a subnet, it would probably cost you around 10ms per ping. Which might not seem too bad but it is.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @terrorgen!

Thanks very much!

So now we might have the choice of using the HE /48, your /48, and Otus' /48. Or maybe even more than one of these. How do we judge which is best?

Also, how come nobody wants to offer crunchy a few IPv4s? I am guessing that here at LES we have a few wild IPv4s that could be added to crunchy? :)

Thanks again!

IPv6 is almost free, v4 is not

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles