Double Dedicated Los Angeles At MetalVPS!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
edited February 10 in Offers

Double Dedicated 🇺🇸 Los Angeles! 🇺🇸

Yesterday, MetalVPS picked up two Los Angeles, California USA 🇺🇸 bare metal dedicated servers from OneProvider. Because of the ASN of the IP addresses assigned to these servers, it is possible that these servers are resold from Psychz.

Please check the additional information below regarding: Specifications, Warnings, Cancellation, Terms of Service, Pricing, How to Sign Up, Support, About MetalVPS, FAQ, and What People Are Saying. Please join me on these servers!

Best wishes! 🌎🌍

Tom

Specifications

• Quantity: 2
  • CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v2 @ 3.3 GHz
  • Hardware Cores: 4
  • Hardware Threads: 8
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR3 (Not ECC)
  • Disk: 1 x 1 TB HDD SATA
  • IPv4 Addresses: 1 (more available at extra cost)
  • IPv6 Addresses: 0
  • Bandwidth: 1 Gbps shared, unlimited
  • Yabs and Network-speed: Please see separate comments below
  • IPMI: Yes
  • Yesterday's OS: OneProvider Panel's Debian 12, FreeBSD 12 (EOL December 31, 2023)
  • Cost Paid To OneProvider: $17.99 per month per server
  • Current Term Expires: February 26, 2024

Warnings

• Fabulously Clueless™ administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills. . . ." 😀 @Not_Oles almost always messes up! 😱

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. There are no preinstalled VPSes or containers. It's traditional, command line terminal via ssh until you install whatever you want. 🆕

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo, KVM group membership, etc. 🙈🙉🙊

• MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base. ♒︎

• Account delivery might take awhile! 😴

• Not for business use! Intended especially for computer learning and fun! 🤑

• Frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! 🌺

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! 🤦‍♂️

• Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! Our server might blow up! 💥 At any random second @Not_Oles or maybe you or someone else might reinstall the Node! 😸

• Other MetalVPSians might see your account name, the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. 🤔

Cancellation

These two Los Angeles dedicated servers presently are set to cancel on February 26, 2024. Meanwhile, these servers offer great opportunities for Low End learning and fun! And, if learning and fun happen, the cancellation could be revoked! 👏

Terms Of Service

• Be awesome! Be kind, gentle, friendly, positive, and polite!
  • White Hat only!
  • Not for business use!
  • Intended for education and fun!
  • Open source software only, both on MetalVPS and for connecting to MetalVPS!
  • No Service Level Agreement (SLA)!
  • OneProvider TOS also applies!**

Pricing

• Can you afford to / do you want to fund your share of the MetalVPS services that you use?

• Payment methods include Paypal, Zelle, and Stripe.

How To Sign Up

• Please post here in this thread.

• Please include

• your ed25519 ssh public key;

• links to your website, Github or other repo, other online profiles, etc.; and

• your use case.

• Please feel free to include additional items in support of your sign up request.

Support

• Please post all new MetalVPS account requests and all support requests, comments, and feedback here in this thread.

• LES PMs (personal messages) can be sent to @Not_Oles about items which need privacy.

About MetalVPS

FAQ

• How did @Not_Oles get a free server from Crunchbits?

• Are Custom ISOs and BSD supported at Crunchbits?

• Is @Not_Oles still involved in FreeVPS.org?
  • Who is "Redacted?"
  • How do I get a free VPS?

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, Crunchbits, granted MetalVPS Crunchy, a wonderful US 🇺🇸 dedicated server, free until November 8, 2024! Free Crunchy accounts are currently on pause, but might again become available. Please monitor and comment in the parallel LES Crunchy thread if you are interested in Crunchy.

Besides Crunchy, free VPSes also are available through FreeVPS.org. Please monitor and comment in the parallel LES FreeVPS thread if you are interested in FreeVPS.org.

What People Are Saying

• About MetalVPS

"MetalVPS . . . seems to have endless servers."

"@Not_Oles . . . thank you for providing machine for me to help me finish all the tests."

"I really enjoyed MetalVPS . . . I hope more people can learn together using MetalVPS."

"非常感谢Not_Oles分享免费的MetalVPS为大家使用!" "Big thanks to Not_Oles for sharing his MetalVPS for people to use!"

". . . [V]ery cool that MetalVPS is still a thing :) Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!"

"The permanent free shell account of MetalVPS is very fun!" ("MetalVPS的永久免费shell账号挺好玩的")

"This is really really cool."

"I enjoyed the section of the OP dedicated to complementary comments, including helpful links so they can be verified."

"MetalVPS used to be a high end provider, but it's becoming a sorority now."

"fun stuff indeed, appreciating the comfortable computing experience!"

"Liking my darkstar"

"Nice trial and results! Very interesting :)"

Metalvps recommended on OGF 🙈

"It just crossed my mind that I've been using your server for over half a year! It's been an amazing experience! . . . Your services deserve much more attention. <3"

"Wow pretty nice ! Congrats excellent options thanks for being a part of the community"

"the terms seemed exceptionally fair"

"Kernel Linux 5.11 is now in much better shape for AMD <3"

"Yes, please. I’ll take that."

"it's really quite dedicated. not all dedicated are the same."

"MetalVPS-AX101 has a reasonable price"

"really need a testing ground badly now especially with dedicated core"

"the fastest VPS I ever used"

"I've been using this one from him. Highly recommend! His support is really amazing!"

"10/10 metalvps recommended"

"very powerful"

"premium stuff"

"Grab it while the hotel still has vacant rooms."

". . . very passionate and enthusiastic about everything. Not all businesses are made this way and it's very easy to see when you interact with them. You are giving the right impression with this industry and it's wonderful to see."

"I think MetalVPS is designed in between a dedicated and a regular VPS. Some use case cannot fill the capacity of a dedicated but need more CPU than a regular VPS, and it makes sense to use MetalVPS in such situation."

• About Not_Oles

". . . a certain... finesse."

"@Not_Oles . . . is doing all kinds of interesting work and sharing it with others"

"risk tolerance, patience or adventurousness of @Not_Oles"

"Hi Tom <3"

"Tom, you're the best :)"

"I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable). . . ."

"@Not_Oles is really a funfull and helpful grandpa!!"

"especially thanks @Not_Oles , He pointed out my problems and told me the correct way to share. He is a good guy."

"I'm not in need for any free vps at the moment, but thanks for what you're doing. If I had this chance few years ago, I think my life would be different."

"I did want to thank @Not_Oles for always being so friendly. Makes me smile seeing how nice you are to everyone here."

"You are a great person."

"Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)"

"Really, you're the best person I've known on the internet."

"we've found that good, in-depth technical articles tend to drive user interaction and new sign-ups on the forum. @Not_Oles's Proxmox articles are evidence of this."

"It was a pleasure for me to collaborate with Tom, he really knows what he's doing :)"

"Thanks again to @Not_Oles for valiant testing."

"you've brought a smile on my face countless times "

"Good luck with your new project! :D Happy to have you around here!"

"I always love how you come up with new ideas :D Good luck, mate!

"May you continue to learn and inspire others."

"he is a great guy!"

"he is the sweetest guy in LES .."

"Everybody loves @Not_Oles! <3"

"resplendent as the Sonoran Sun"

"god bless not_oles ^^"

"every time I visit les and see that profile picture, it brightens up my day."

Thanks!

Tom gets a lot of help from the friendly MetalVPSians and from many other friends. Thanks to each and every one! <3

Edit History

Originally posted -- January 27, 2024
Added a new item to What People Are Saying - About @Not_Oles - February 10, 2024

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Thanked by (4)host_c wankel jureve Ganonk
Tagged:

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    root@deviceXXXX:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-01-01                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri Jan 26 04:17:37 PM PST 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 1 hours, 28 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 1710.971 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1.9 GiB
    Disk       : 913.9 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-13-amd64
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : Psychz Networks
    ASN        : AS40676 Psychz Networks
    Host       : Psychz Networks
    Location   : Walnut, California (CA)
    Country    : United States

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/sda6):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 661.00 KB/s    (165) | 9.36 MB/s      (146)
    Write      | 691.00 KB/s    (172) | 9.83 MB/s      (153)
    Total      | 1.35 MB/s      (337) | 19.20 MB/s     (299)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 37.56 MB/s      (73) | 47.83 MB/s      (46)
    Write      | 39.72 MB/s      (77) | 50.24 MB/s      (49)
    Total      | 77.28 MB/s     (150) | 98.08 MB/s      (95)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 829 Mbits/sec   | 313 Mbits/sec   | 133 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | 140 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 540 Mbits/sec   | 551 Mbits/sec   | 145 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 477 Mbits/sec   | 156 Mbits/sec   | 241 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 898 Mbits/sec   | 693 Mbits/sec   | 59.4 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 924 Mbits/sec   | 915 Mbits/sec   | 28.6 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 940 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec   | 0.241 ms       

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 730                           
    Multi Core      | 2477                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/4594845

YABS completed in 15 min 59 sec
    root@deviceXXXX:~# 

---------------------------- network-speed.xyz ----------------------------
          A simple script to test network performance using speedtest-cli      
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Version            : v2024.01.26
     Global Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash
     Region Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash -s -- -r <region>
     Basic System Info
     CPU Model          : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
     CPU Cores          : 8 @ 1754.959 MHz
     CPU Cache          : 8192 KB
     AES-NI             : ❌ Disabled
     VM-x/AMD-V         : ✔ Enabled
     Total Disk         : 913.9 GB (1.2 GB Used)
     Total RAM          : 15.6 GB (424.6 MB Used)
     Total Swap         : 1.9 GB (0 Used)
     System uptime      : 0 days, 1 hour 57 min
     Load average       : 0.00, 0.18, 0.56
     OS                 : Debian GNU/Linux 12
     Arch               : x86_64 (64 Bit)
     Kernel             : 6.1.0-13-amd64
     Virtualization     : NONE
     TCP Control        : cubic
     Basic Network Info
     Primary Network    : IPv4
     IPv6 Access        : ❌ Offline
     IPv4 Access        : ✔ Online
     ISP                : Psychz Networks
     ASN                : AS40676 Psychz Networks
     Host               : Psychz Networks
     Location           : Walnut, California-CA, United States
     Speedtest.net (Region: GLOBAL)
     Location         Latency     Loss    DL Speed       UP Speed       Server      

ISP: Psychz Networks 

Nearest          43.68 ms    0.0%    928.22 Mbps    44.86 Mbps     Ideatek Telcom - Wichita, KS 

Kochi, IN        254.24 ms   0.0%    594.93 Mbps    330.33 Mbps    Asianet Broadband - Cochin 
     Bangalore, IN    273.31 ms   0.0%    525.02 Mbps    266.41 Mbps    Bharti Airtel Ltd - Bangalore 
     Chennai, IN      243.62 ms   N/A     494.11 Mbps    240.46 Mbps    Jio - Chennai 
     Mumbai, IN       242.52 ms   0.0%    531.13 Mbps    292.87 Mbps    i3D.net - Mumbai 
     Delhi, IN        281.69 ms   0.0%    451.89 Mbps    193.58 Mbps    Tata Play Fiber - New Delhi 

Seattle, US      27.10 ms    N/A     942.88 Mbps    849.57 Mbps    Comcast - Seattle, WA 
     Los Angeles, US  0.42 ms     0.0%    941.18 Mbps    941.13 Mbps    ReliableSite Hosting - Los Angeles, CA 
     Dallas, US       29.94 ms    0.0%    862.31 Mbps    858.64 Mbps    Hivelocity - Dallas, TX 
     Miami, US        58.43 ms    0.0%    924.71 Mbps    836.91 Mbps    AT&T - Miami, FL 
     New York, US     57.13 ms    0.0%    955.67 Mbps    635.19 Mbps    GSL Networks - New York, NY 
     Toronto, CA      66.94 ms    0.0%    934.04 Mbps    892.25 Mbps    Rogers - Toronto, ON 
     Mexico City, MX  51.53 ms    N/A     943.06 Mbps    920.18 Mbps    INFINITUM - Mexico City 

London, UK       130.48 ms   0.3%    938.80 Mbps    671.20 Mbps    VeloxServ Communications - London 
     Amsterdam, NL    147.70 ms   0.0%    946.84 Mbps    162.23 Mbps    31173 Services AB - Amsterdam 
     Paris, FR        139.34 ms   N/A     953.47 Mbps    233.69 Mbps    Axione - Paris 
     Frankfurt, DE    147.94 ms   0.7%    931.70 Mbps    198.11 Mbps    23M GmbH - Frankfurt am Main 
     Warsaw, PL       158.74 ms   0.0%    952.15 Mbps    479.76 Mbps    Play - Warszawa 
     Bucharest, RO    167.08 ms   0.0%    633.53 Mbps    439.15 Mbps    Vodafone Romania Fixed – Bucharest - Bucharest 
     Moscow, RU       186.66 ms   0.3%    830.55 Mbps    35.53 Mbps     MegaFon - Moscow 

Jeddah, SA       200.60 ms   0.3%    925.38 Mbps    246.52 Mbps    Saudi Telecom Company 
     Dubai, AE        251.85 ms   0.0%    868.24 Mbps    57.73 Mbps     du - Dubai  
     Fujairah, AE     246.15 ms   0.0%    811.12 Mbps    340.62 Mbps    ETISALAT-UAE - Fujairah 
     Istanbul, TR     178.70 ms   0.0%    712.22 Mbps    498.95 Mbps    Turkcell - Istanbul 
     Tehran, IR       219.04 ms   0.0%    594.70 Mbps    392.05 Mbps    Asiatech - Tehran 

Tokyo, JP        99.31 ms    N/A     730.40 Mbps    210.79 Mbps    fdcservers.net - Tokyo 
     Shanghai, CU-CN  183.58 ms   0.0%    817.74 Mbps    201.47 Mbps    China Unicom 5G - Shanghai 
     Suzhou, CT-CN    147.16 ms   N/A     435.17 Mbps    392.36 Mbps    China Telecom JiangSu 5G - Suzhou 
     Hong Kong, CN    156.08 ms   N/A     754.94 Mbps    552.39 Mbps    STC - Hong Kong 
     Singapore, SG    167.12 ms   0.0%    719.51 Mbps    181.11 Mbps    i3D.net - Singapore 
     Jakarta, ID      175.77 ms   0.0%    465.43 Mbps    244.29 Mbps    PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia - Jakarta 
     Avg DL Speed       : 775.83 Mbps
     Avg UL Speed       : 414.21 Mbps

Total DL Data      : 35.05 GB
     Total UL Data      : 16.02 GB
     Total Data         : 51.07 GB
     Duration           : 18 min 1 sec
     System Time        : 26/01/2024 - 17:04:27 PST
     Total Script Runs  : 34748
     Result             : https://result.network-speed.xyz/r/1706316299_NRQ240_GLOBAL.txt
    root@deviceXXXX:~# 

• Thanked by (2)Not_Oles veren01

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Congratulations on the new (temporary?) members of the family :-)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• I dare you go double digits.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles yoursunny

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

Below is the dmesg from the EOL FreeBSD 4.2 OneProvider OnePanel install.

The question is how to update the install.

Yesterday I tried

root@deviceidXXXX:~ # date -u; pkg upgrade -f
    Sat Jan 27 00:54:59 UTC 2024
    The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
    Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
    Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly, please wait...
    pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/Latest/pkg.txz: Not Found
    A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
    Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.
    root@deviceidXXXX:~ # 

Guessing the FreeBSD 12 repo might no longer be available because 12 is EOL. :)

Maybe freebsd-update might work? Hard to imagine that working, but low penalty for trying.

Since I can get the network interface name and configuration from the dmesg maybe I could install FreeBSD 13.x or 14 via mfsbsd or depenguin.me. If NetBSD uses the same interface name, maybe NetBSD could be installed over Debian via qemu.

The Java IPMI is an obvious solution, but that's for the pros. My Chromebook doesn't yet have Java.

root@deviceXXXX:~ # dmesg
    em1: link state changed to DOWN
    em1: link state changed to UP
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop... 
    Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 0 0 done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufdaemon' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-2' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-0' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-3' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-4' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-5' to stop... done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-6' to stop... done
    All buffers synced.
    ---<<BOOT>>---
    Copyright (c) 1992-2020 The FreeBSD Project.
    Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
            The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
    FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE r366954 GENERIC amd64
    FreeBSD clang version 10.0.1 ([email protected]:llvm/llvm-project.git llvmorg-10.0.1-0-gef32c611aa2)
    VT(vga): resolution 640x480
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz (3300.10-MHz K8-class CPU)
      Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306a9  Family=0x6  Model=0x3a  Stepping=9
      Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
      Features2=0x7dbae3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
      AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
      AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
      Structured Extended Features=0x281<FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS>
      Structured Extended Features3=0x9c000400<MD_CLEAR,IBPB,STIBP,L1DFL,SSBD>
      XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT>
      VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
      TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
    real memory  = 17179869184 (16384 MB)
    avail memory = 16598167552 (15829 MB)
    Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
    ACPI APIC Table: <SUPERM SMCI--MB>
    FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
    FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 hardware threads
    random: unblocking device.
    ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
    Launching APs: 1 7 2 4 5 6 3
    Timecounter "TSC-low" frequency 1650048998 Hz quality 1000
    random: entropy device external interface
    kbd1 at kbdmux0
    000.000023 [4336] netmap_init               netmap: loaded module
    [ath_hal] loaded
    module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff81115e40, 0) error 19
    random: registering fast source Intel Secure Key RNG
    random: fast provider: "Intel Secure Key RNG"
    nexus0
    vtvga0: <VT VGA driver> on motherboard
    cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard
    acpi0: <SUPERM SMCI--MB> on motherboard
    acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
    cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
    hpet0: <High Precision Event Timer> iomem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff on acpi0
    Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950
    Event timer "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 550
    atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x77 irq 8 on acpi0
    atrtc0: Warning: Couldn't map I/O.
    atrtc0: registered as a time-of-day clock, resolution 1.000000s
    Event timer "RTC" frequency 32768 Hz quality 0
    attimer0: <AT timer> port 0x40-0x43,0x50-0x53 irq 0 on acpi0
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    Event timer "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 100
    apei0: <ACPI Platform Error Interface> on acpi0
    Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 900
    acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x408-0x40b on acpi0
    pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
    pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
    em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection> port 0xf020-0xf03f mem 0xdfa00000-0xdfa1ffff,0xdfa25000-0xdfa25fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
    em0: Using 1024 TX descriptors and 1024 RX descriptors
    em0: Using an MSI interrupt
    em0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    em0: netmap queues/slots: TX 1/1024, RX 1/1024
    ehci0: <Intel Cougar Point USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xdfa24000-0xdfa243ff irq 16 at device 26.0 on pci0
    usbus0: EHCI version 1.0
    usbus0 on ehci0
    usbus0: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
    pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 16 at device 28.0 on pci0
    pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
    pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 16 at device 28.4 on pci0
    pci2: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
    em1: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection> port 0xe000-0xe01f mem 0xdf900000-0xdf91ffff,0xdf920000-0xdf923fff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
    em1: Using 1024 TX descriptors and 1024 RX descriptors
    em1: Using 2 RX queues 2 TX queues
    em1: Using MSI-X interrupts with 3 vectors
    em1: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    em1: netmap queues/slots: TX 2/1024, RX 2/1024
    ehci1: <Intel Cougar Point USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xdfa23000-0xdfa233ff irq 23 at device 29.0 on pci0
    usbus1: EHCI version 1.0
    usbus1 on ehci1
    usbus1: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
    pcib3: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
    pci3: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib3
    vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> mem 0xde000000-0xdeffffff,0xdf800000-0xdf803fff,0xdf000000-0xdf7fffff irq 23 at device 3.0 on pci3
    vgapci0: Boot video device
    isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 31.0 on pci0
    isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
    ahci0: <Intel Cougar Point AHCI SATA controller> port 0xf070-0xf077,0xf060-0xf063,0xf050-0xf057,0xf040-0xf043,0xf000-0xf01f mem 0xdfa22000-0xdfa227ff irq 19 at device 31.2 on pci0
    ahci0: AHCI v1.30 with 6 3Gbps ports, Port Multiplier not supported
    ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
    ahcich1: <AHCI channel> at channel 1 on ahci0
    ahcich2: <AHCI channel> at channel 2 on ahci0
    ahcich3: <AHCI channel> at channel 3 on ahci0
    ahcich4: <AHCI channel> at channel 4 on ahci0
    ahcich5: <AHCI channel> at channel 5 on ahci0
    ahciem0: <AHCI enclosure management bridge> on ahci0
    acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
    acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
    acpi_tz1: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
    uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
    uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
    uart2: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 10 on acpi0
    orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem 0xc0000-0xc7fff,0xc8000-0xc8fff,0xc9000-0xc9fff pnpid ORM0000 on isa0
    atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
    atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
    kbd0 at atkbd0
    atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    atkbdc0: non-PNP ISA device will be removed from GENERIC in FreeBSD 12.
    est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
    Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
    ugen0.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus0
    Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [rw]...
    Root mount waiting for: usbus0 usbus1 CAM
    uhub0: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
    ugen1.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus1
    uhub1: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
    ses0 at ahciem0 bus 0 scbus6 target 0 lun 0
    ses0: <AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001> SEMB S-E-S 2.00 device
    ses0: SEMB SES Device
    ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
    ada0: <WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 05.01D05> ATA8-ACS SATA 3.x device
    ada0: Serial Number XX-XXXXXXX
    ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
    ada0: Command Queueing enabled
    ada0: 953869MB (1953525168 512 byte sectors)
    ses0: pass0,ada0 in 'Slot 00', SATA Slot: scbus0 target 0
    uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
    uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
    Root mount waiting for: usbus0 usbus1
    ugen0.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024> at usbus0
    uhub2 on uhub0
    uhub2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus0
    ugen1.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024> at usbus1
    uhub3 on uhub1
    uhub3: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0024, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus1
    Root mount waiting for: usbus0 usbus1
    uhub2: 6 ports with 6 removable, self powered
    uhub3: 6 ports with 6 removable, self powered
    ugen0.3: <Winbond Electronics Corp Hermon USB hidmouse Device> at usbus0
    ukbd0 on uhub2
    ukbd0: <Winbond Electronics Corp Hermon USB hidmouse Device, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 3> on usbus0
    kbd2 at ukbd0
    mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ada0s1a...
    lo0: link state changed to UP
    em0: link state changed to UP
    ums0 on uhub2
    ums0: <Winbond Electronics Corp Hermon USB hidmouse Device, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 3> on usbus0
    ums0: 3 buttons and [Z] coordinates ID=0
    em1: link state changed to UP
    root@deviceXXX:~ # 

• Soon featuring FreeBSD 14.0! :lol:

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
    edited January 29

Yeah, with lots of wonderful help from @Crab, we got the FreeBSD server upgraded from the OneProvider control panel's 12.2 install up to 14.0.

Some tricky parts:

• For me, the panel reinstalls seem to take hours, not minutes. Also, I seem to have to try repeatedly reinstalling, because the installs don't always seem to work.

• I had to hand merge /etc/master.passwd and /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

• Install error during 13.0 to 14.0:

Installing updates...install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string exists but is not a directory
    install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string/char_traits.h: Not a directory
    install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string/extern_template_lists.h: Not a directory

The trickiest party might be going through everything and figuring out whether what's there is exactly correct. I seem to remember that FreeBSD had a tool for this kind of complete checking, but I don't remember the name of the tool.

I wonder how likely it is that NetBSD and OpenBSD would use the same network interface name as FreeBSD.

@Crab coming by, helping, sticking around, helping, checking in, helping, helping, helping, congratulating, posting, helping . . . plus . . . everything works . . . well, from my experience, that's the BSD world. Nothing at all against Linux.

Anyway, there seem to be a couple of servers, one with Debian 12.4 and one with FreeBSD 14.0, if anyone wants to hop on one or the other or both. :)

Thanked by (1)Crab

• edited January 29

@Not_Oles said: Install error during 13.0 to 14.0:

Installing updates...install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string exists but is not a directory
    install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string/char_traits.h: Not a directory
    install: ///usr/include/c++/v1/__string/extern_template_lists.h: Not a directory

To be honest, I wouldn't be worried by this a tiniest bit.

Handmerging master.passwd and sshd_config is also normal. It has happened to all of my upgrades as well.

If you did pkg upgrade -f, it reinstalled everything, so you should really be good to go here!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Update February 11, 2024!

Right now these two Los Angeles servers are very happily running FreeBSD 14.0! Of course, it would be easy to return a server to Debian, or change to Ubuntu, Alma, or Rocky, or something else.

Both these LA servers are set to cancel on February 26, but that's still 15 days away. Nobody else but me is using them. So if you want a peaceful place to try something, with a decent, dedicated processor, and a pretty good network, now might be a great time to come aboard.

Thanks to help from @Crab and others <3 I am having tons of fun learning a little about installing and updating FreeBSD on these servers! I hope to do more with FreeBSD. The last few days I have been busy on the MetalVPS DE servers, so I haven't had as much time for LA as I would have liked.

Nevertheless, I feel like I already got way more than full value out of the funds I invested! Therefore, if anyone wants a 15 day account on a quiet LA dedicated server, maybe I could give you one for super cheap via Paypal or Zelle. How much do you want to pay?

In addition to these LA dedicated servers, MetalVPS has more dedicated servers in Washington state and Germany. If you want accounts in additional locations, we can set them up easily!

Spirited Low End greetings! :)

Tom

Thanked by (1)Crab

This morning one of these servers was moved back to Debian 12. So, now one server still is FreeBSD 14.0, and the other server is Debian 12. There is one guy sharing with me the root on the Debian 12 server. Still just me on the FreeBSD server. Anyone else?

Friendly greetings!

@Crab

Hi!

Here's the output of top on the FreeBSD server. May I please ask, what is your guess as to the cause of the slightly positive load averages when nothing has been running?

Thanks!

Tom

last pid: 46966;  load averages:  0.13,  0.14,  0.09                     up 11+06:12:27  05:57:20
    17 processes:  1 running, 16 sleeping
    CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% idle
    Mem: 4564K Active, 10M Inact, 815M Wired, 351M Buf, 15G Free
    Swap: 3072M Total, 3072M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    C   TIME    WCPU COMMAND
    46947 root          1  20    0    14M  3400K CPU0     0   0:00   0.01% top
    46939 root          1  20    0    22M    11M select   2   0:00   0.00% sshd
     1019 root          1  20    0    22M  9280K select   6   0:24   0.00% sshd
      917 root          1  20    0    13M  2592K select   3   0:04   0.00% syslogd
      994 root          1  20    0    13M  2496K nanslp   1   0:01   0.00% cron
      712 root          1  20    0    14M  3652K select   1   0:00   0.00% devd
    46941 root          1  20    0    14M  3884K pause    6   0:00   0.00% csh
     1038 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    5   0:00   0.00% getty
     1041 root          1  68    0    13M  2220K ttyin    3   0:00   0.00% getty
     1035 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    0   0:00   0.00% getty
     1037 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    2   0:00   0.00% getty
     1040 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    7   0:00   0.00% getty
     1036 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    1   0:00   0.00% getty
     1039 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    4   0:00   0.00% getty
     1042 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    6   0:00   0.00% getty

• Your sshd, cron and syslogd have consumed some cpu time according to the info you provided, so I'm guessing there are bunch of script kiddies knocking on your door ... ehm ssh port trying to get in :lol: It could also be caused by just disk I/O, syslogd writing entries and auth.log being spammed by the people trying to log in. You can check with iostat whether there's some disk activity and also check what htop shows.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles sh97
  • edited February 13

Porta = door :D
    Anywho, is there a freebsd equivalent of fail2ban?
    If so, might be a good idea to install it to take care of script kiddos

Edit: fail2ban is Python based so should work.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Last night there was a lot of auth.log spam. So I changed ssh to a high port before I went to sleep. This morning I see that changing the ssh port got rid of 100% of the auth.log spam, but the load averages seem a little higher or about the same. :) I guess there's still a lot of folks attempting to connect to port 22. Haven't checked disk activity yet. :)

As posted above from yesterday:

@Not_Oles said:

last pid: 46966; load averages: 0.13, 0.14, 0.09 up 11+06:12:27 05:57:20

From w as soon as I logged in this morning:

7:54PM up 11 days, 20:10, 1 user, load averages: 0.24, 0.23, 0.15

From top a few moments later this morning:

last pid: 48292;  load averages:  0.05,  0.16,  0.13                     up 11+20:12:32  19:57:25
    17 processes:  1 running, 16 sleeping
    CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% idle
    Mem: 4064K Active, 10M Inact, 815M Wired, 351M Buf, 15G Free
    Swap: 3072M Total, 3072M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    C   TIME    WCPU COMMAND
    48292 root          1  20    0    14M  3372K CPU6     6   0:00   0.01% top
    48273 root          1  20    0    22M    11M select   4   0:00   0.00% sshd
      917 root          1  20    0    13M  2592K select   2   0:04   0.00% syslogd
      994 root          1  20    0    13M  2496K nanslp   1   0:01   0.00% cron
      712 root          1  20    0    14M  3652K select   3   0:00   0.00% devd
    48275 root          1  20    0    14M  3896K pause    5   0:00   0.00% csh
    47371 root          1  20    0    22M    10M select   5   0:00   0.00% sshd
     1038 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    5   0:00   0.00% getty
     1041 root          1  68    0    13M  2220K ttyin    3   0:00   0.00% getty
     1035 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    0   0:00   0.00% getty
     1037 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    2   0:00   0.00% getty
     1040 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    7   0:00   0.00% getty
     1036 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    1   0:00   0.00% getty
     1039 root          1  68    0    13M  2228K ttyin    4   0:00   0.00% getty
     1042 root          1  68    0    13M  2224K ttyin    6   0:00   0.00% getty

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited February 13

@Not_Oles I will BSD with you need to take my mind off things

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

@terrorgen said:
    Porta = door :D
    If so, might be a good idea to install it to take care of script kiddos

Edit: fail2ban is Python based so should work.

Sorry, I don't know whether there is a BSD equivalent of fail2ban.

I seem to remember hearing BSD folks suggest that the overhead of running fail2ban might be more than the overhead from letting the kiddies try. It's not like they're going to get in.

Seems to be more kiddies here on these LA / OneProvider / Psychz IPs. Maybe ti might be fun to run a honeypot. :)

edited February 13

@AuroraZero said:

Okay, key please? I probably have it, but please save me the trouble of checking. I will dump your key into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. I will PM you the IP and also the super secret ssh port (so you don't have to port scan). You can make yourself a Neighbor account if you wish. How about that for me being too lazy even to make your account? :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@AuroraZero said:

Okay, key please? I probably have it, but please save me the trouble of checking. I will dump your key into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. I will PM you the IP and also the super secret ssh port (so you don't have to port scan). You can make yourself a Neighbor account if you wish. How about that for me being too lazy even to make your account? :)

Yeah give me a bit you want an esc key right?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

No, want a Tab key.

PMed you login info. Anybody else?

• edited February 13

@Not_Oles said:

@terrorgen said:

Sorry, I don't know whether there is a BSD equivalent of fail2ban.

pkg install py39-fail2ban :lol:

Running it on every single box I have, works like a charm with pf or ipfw.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Hello!

I've been having some fun compiling the text editor, Elvis.

root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1 # cat little-red-haired-girl-link almost-2.2_1.tar.gz.SHA256 
    http://www.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/pub/elvis/old/unreleased/00-index.html
    https://web.archive.org/save/http://www.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/pub/elvis/old/unreleased/almost-2.2_1.tar.gz
    8a733b6829708336d5e44f8b12c067f3e16f21582d7a5ea93116cc72668b7d66  almost-2.2_1.tar.gz
    root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1 # 

On FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE, I see this error:

root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1 # ls
    almost-2.2_1.tar.gz             elvis-2.2_1
    almost-2.2_1.tar.gz.SHA256      little-red-haired-girl-link
    root@device7469:~/src/elvis-2.2_1 # cd elvis-2.2_1/
    root@device7469:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # make
    cc -O -Iosunix main.o osblock.o osdir.o osprg.o ostext.o osnet.o optglob.o options.o safe.o session.o buffer.o calc.o color.o descr.o digraph.o display.o gui.o lowbuf.o mark.o misc.o io.o dmhex.o dmmarkup.o dmnormal.o dmsyntax.o scan.o tcaphelp.o autocmd.o cut.o draw.o event.o ex.o exaction.o exconfig.o exedit.o exmake.o exsubst.o fold.o ftp.o http.o input.o lp.o map.o message.o move.o more.o need.o operator.o regexp.o region.o regsub.o search.o spell.o state.o tinytcap.o tag.o tagsrch.o tagelvis.o url.o vi.o vicmd.o window.o  guix11.o xclip.o xevent.o xmisc.o xscroll.o xstatus.o xtext.o xtool.o xdialog.o guicurs.o guitcap.o guiopen.o lpescape.o lpovrtyp.o lpps.o -lipc -ltermcap -o elvis
    ld: error: unable to find library -lipc
    cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    *** Error code 1

Stop.
    make: stopped in /root/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1
    root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # 

I also see

root@deviceXXXX:/lib # ls -l libicp.so.3
    -r--r--r--  1 root wheel 288184 Feb  1 23:25 libicp.so.3
    root@deviceXXXX:/lib # 

which I am guessing might be the needed library. If that's right, how come ld can't find it? I have to go study up on ld. Probably man ld will help. But, meanwhile, does anybody want to give me a hint about how to fix this error? Thanks! :)

P.S. The error doesn't happen with Elvis 2.2.

root@deviceXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2 # file elvis
    elvis: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 14.0 (1400097), FreeBSD-style, with debug_info, not stripped
    root@deviceXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2 # ldd elvis
    elvis:
            libtinfow.so.9 => /lib/libtinfow.so.9 (0x9c321ec2000)
            libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x9c323d01000)
            [vdso] (0x9c320d9a000)
    root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2 # 

• @Not_Oles said:
    I also see

root@deviceXXXX:/lib # ls -l libicp.so.3
    -r--r--r--  1 root wheel 288184 Feb  1 23:25 libicp.so.3
    root@deviceXXXX:/lib # 

which I am guessing might be the needed library. If that's right, how come ld can't find it? I have to go study up on ld.

ld only looks for .a or .so files. Usually, the corresponding devel package will provide a symlink from libicp.so to libicp.so.3. So as a quick workaround you could try creating that symlink yourself.

@Not_Oles said: ld: error: unable to find library -lipc

@Not_Oles said: -r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 288184 Feb 1 23:25 libicp.so.3

Oopsie! ipc vs icp. :)

@cmeerw said: ld only looks for .a or .so files.

@cmeerw said: Usually, the corresponding devel package will provide a symlink

Super helpful! Thanks so much! :)

I found a few references by googling for: freebsd interprocess communication library. It's getting late here, so I will read some of them tomorrow. Probably I just need to add some more libraries. . . . :)

edited February 20

Searching for libipc github brings up several results, the first of which is https://github.com/mheily/libipc.

However, searching the FreeBSD ports portal suggests that no libipc has been ported to FreeBSD: https://ports.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=libipc&stype=all&sektion=all says "Sorry, nothing found." :)

• You could also try removing the -lipc from the build, this is where it's coming from:

why "For FreeBSD, we ignore the <sys/select.h> file"
    NEED_SELECT_H="undef"
    who " To support X11, it also requires -lipc"
    XLIBS=" -lipc"
    ;;

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

From the Makefile:

################################################################################
    # This macro gives any arguments which will be needed during linking.
    # Mostly, this means "-Llibdir" and "-llib" flags.  If you're compiling with
    # X-windows support, then you'll have to add a "-lX11" and maybe a
    # "-L/usr/X11/lib" flag or something similar.
    LIBS=  -lipc -ltermcap 

################################################################################
    # This should be "unix" for all UNIX variants.  It causes the compiler to use
    # files from the osunix subdirectory, and do a UNIX-style installation.
    OS=unix

root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # ls /usr/X11
    ls: /usr/X11: No such file or directory

@cmeerw said: You could also try removing the -lipc from the build

Yeah, configure has an option to skip X. But, alternatively, probably installing X would give me the needed library.

Haha, I've seen since forever that X had its own separate library directory. But I didn't grok that -lipc was an X library. I didn't grok that, if I can't find a library in /lib or in /usr/lib, then maybe it might be part of the X libraries.

I'm guessing that interprocess communication with -lipc might be one of the things about X that the Wayland folks want to change.

Next up is to try installing X in FreeBSD. And then try recompiling elvis-2.2_1. I seem to remember that X was a set in the base system of OpenBSD and NetBSD. Don't know about Free. By the way, the other day I read that XFree86 (not to be confused with X.org is still in NetBSD pkgsrc.

Only six more days on these FreeBSD and Debian 12 LA servers! On each of them, there is only one other guy plus me. Anybody else want to hop on?

Double thanks to @cmeerw! <3 <3

@Not_Oles said: Next up is to try installing X in FreeBSD.

Hmm. Following the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook at https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/, I installed xorg. But, even though quite a bit was installed, at least at first glance, installing xorg didn't seem to get me the -lipc library that ld doesn't find. Could -lipc be part of an older version of xorg or maybe xfree86? I might just try recompiling to see what happens, and then look around a little more before possibly trying to compile elvis without X.

chronos@penguin:~/servers/oneprovider/XXXX$ wc -l freebsd-install-xorg-20240220 
    822 freebsd-install-xorg-20240220
    chronos@penguin:~/servers/oneprovider/XXXX$ grep ipc freebsd-install-xorg-20240220 
    chronos@penguin:~/servers/oneprovider/XXXX$ 

@Not_Oles said: installing xorg didn't seem to get me the -lipc library that ld doesn't find. Could -lipc be part of an older version of xorg or maybe xfree86?

Here's a comment that Google found in https://goma.googlesource.com/wine/+/307b3c8ed59acf2de2a049d27b5784a6a97733e6/configure :

9787 # BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 needs -lipc for XOpenDisplay.

Looks like this -lipc might be pretty old! Maybe it's a hint to look at XOpenDisplay if that's in the contemporary FreeBSD X.

I bet we have somebody here who knows all about this!

Is there some easy way to get -lipc so that elvis will compile with X?

Or maybe -lipc just isn't needed on contemporary FreeBSD. So the error is an artifact left over from BSDI days?

Or do I need to try compiling this version of elvis without X support?

Thanks!

edited February 21

Even after configure with the "--without-x" option, the linker still wants -lipc.

cc -O -Iosunix main.o osblock.o osdir.o osprg.o ostext.o osnet.o optglob.o options.o safe.o session.o buffer.o calc.o color.o descr.o digraph.o display.o gui.o lowbuf.o mark.o misc.o io.o dmhex.o dmmarkup.o dmnormal.o dmsyntax.o scan.o tcaphelp.o autocmd.o cut.o draw.o event.o ex.o exaction.o exconfig.o exedit.o exmake.o exsubst.o fold.o ftp.o http.o input.o lp.o map.o message.o move.o more.o need.o operator.o regexp.o region.o regsub.o search.o spell.o state.o tinytcap.o tag.o tagsrch.o tagelvis.o url.o vi.o vicmd.o window.o  guix11.o xclip.o xevent.o xmisc.o xscroll.o xstatus.o xtext.o xtool.o xdialog.o guicurs.o guitcap.o guiopen.o lpescape.o lpovrtyp.o lpps.o -lipc -ltermcap -o elvis
    ld: error: unable to find library -lipc
    cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    *** Error code 1

Stop.
    make: stopped in /root/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1

What happens if the "-lipc" is removed from the linker command?

root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # cc -O -Iosunix main.o osblock.o osdir.o osprg.o ostext.o osnet.o optglob.o options.o safe.o session.o buffer.o calc.o color.o descr.o digraph.o display.o gui.o lowbuf.o mark.o misc.o io.o dmhex.o dmmarkup.o dmnormal.o dmsyntax.o scan.o tcaphelp.o autocmd.o cut.o draw.o event.o ex.o exaction.o exconfig.o exedit.o exmake.o exsubst.o fold.o ftp.o http.o input.o lp.o map.o message.o move.o more.o need.o operator.o regexp.o region.o regsub.o search.o spell.o state.o tinytcap.o tag.o tagsrch.o tagelvis.o url.o vi.o vicmd.o window.o  guix11.o xclip.o xevent.o xmisc.o xscroll.o xstatus.o xtext.o xtool.o xdialog.o guicurs.o guitcap.o guiopen.o lpescape.o lpovrtyp.o lpps.o -ltermcap -o elvis

We get an elvis binary which at least launches and runs a shell command.

root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # ls -l elvis
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root 100 587920 Feb 21 19:55 elvis
    root@deviceXXXX:~/src/elvis-2.2_1/elvis-2.2_1 # ./elvis

~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~                                                                                                 
    ~   
    :!date                                                                              
    Wed Feb 21 20:04:41 UTC 2024
    Hit <Enter> to continue                                                                                              

Thanked by (1)tmntwitw