Bugs/reports

Comments

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I'll be straight to the point: an enforced dark background with pale text would ruin this already clear/clean forum. I tried HB forum for a couple of looks and gave up. An option to switch colour scheme is fine; just don't enforce "night mode".

Agree with your there. I didn't like the looks of hostballs for some reason as well. But having a theme chooser might be nice. It'll be well in the future, but it might be nice.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I mean this in the least offensive way possible but the problem generally on themes is that opinions and preferences are like arse (ass) holes in that everyone has one of their own :)

The best solution is to include code to allow users to tweak their own view preferences, I imagine the most simple method being a css switcher button or something similar, but that may need to wait as I cant imagine its only a small amount of work but it will be done.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• edited November 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

@BlaZe said:
    Request: New logo & favicon
    Suggestion: Run a small contest?

:o how rude, whats wrong with the favicon!
    Ok logo I get. :)

Just change around the font in End and Spirit; puting the emphasis on LowEnd and the Spirit more 'ghostly'. (Geddit?)
    Damn, it's past Halloween. :-|

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

Actually as I say that i wonder if its possible for me just to have an alternate server running just a web server connecting back to the same database but forcing it on to the dark theme on a separate sub domain but showing the same content night.lowendspirirt.com or something.

Will ponder that.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Amitz

• @AnthonySmith said:
    The best solution is to include code to allow users to tweak their own view preferences, I imagine the most simple method being a css switcher button or something similar, but that may need to wait as I cant imagine its only a small amount of work but it will be done.

Why not just propose to install the stylus plugin so each user can have their own experience?
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne/

• @AnthonySmith
    Didn't mean to add to your burden but now I know you're having fun. =)

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Why not just propose to install the stylus plugin so each user can have their own experience?
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne/

Because that only caters for those that use chrome and its a bit more effort for people to make for 1 site.

Thanked by (3)flips uptime MichaelCee

• @AnthonySmith said:

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Because that only caters for those that use chrome and its a bit more effort for people to make for 1 site.

But it's great to use it to mod the style and once it's complete, you can just offer it as an add on css in the method I mentioned over PM.

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

• This may have been useful, shame it was abandoned though:
    https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/bootstrapthemeswitchlayout-plugin
    Perhaps a coding guru here can update it, if considered worthwhile.

• @AnthonySmith here goes the background color

.Frame-content, .Item, .Preview {
        background-color: #FAFAFA !important;
    }

If you want to style the comment box too, use the one below. I deliberately didn't do that because due to the difference in colors it's more obvious to users where actions can be taken (the pager stands out as well as the comment textbox).

.Frame-content, .Item, .Preview, .TextBox {
        background-color: #FAFAFA !important;
    }

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

In dire need of a dark theme :(

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• When I had a play with inspect element I found setting the whole page BG to fafafa, but the container as white worked nicely, as on a wide monitor the off white edges break it up, but as Ant says - opinions...

I'm not a massive dark mode fan for websites, but it depends how it's done. My monitor brightness is pretty low anyway, but I do think breaking up some of the white would improve the look - as I say even if the white for the content stayed but the edges were off white.

• somiksomik OG
    edited November 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    I mean this in the least offensive way possible but the problem generally on themes is that opinions and preferences are like arse (ass) holes in that everyone has one of their own :)

Ah, yea, I came up with my own one btw. See if this is something you want to use as a "dark theme". All you need to do to implement this is upload the CSS file and add it to your header file of the theme. Just ensure this is the "LAST" line before the tag.

Homepage:

Reply box:

Code blocks:

Thanked by (1)uptime

• Updated CSS to fix the attachment display.

• @somik That looks really good! I hope it can be a switch on-off thing though. I like both versions, just that I need one for different times of the day.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• Hope @AnthonySmith decides to use it. I can think of a few ways to implement cookie based theme change but that would require a JS script to set the cookie and a JS script to load the css as long as the cookie is valid. But for both, I need access to the theme files. Also as I said before, I'm not that good at JS or jquery...

• SolaireSolaire OG
    edited November 2019

When time is there it should be an easy task to create a plugin that will let people toggle between light and dark mode. That said, it's repeatedly pointed out before it's not much of a priority for now so I don't think it'll happen soon. It's good to see so much feedback though :)

Thanked by (1)poisson

I don't really feel its right just to change everyone to a dark theme, I mean I can switch dark mode on from the back end, this theme has one, I will enable it for the rest of the day.

But a user driven switcher is 100% required for the long term, will make a separate post about it now.

• When I write if I tried to add Format by GUI, it will refresh the page.

• @AnthonySmith new theme looks horrible man, I suggest you change it back, even if we dont want to copy lowendtalk they did not invent the green color honestly

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

@tgl said:
    @AnthonySmith new theme looks horrible man, I suggest you change it back, even if we dont want to copy lowendtalk they did not invent the green color honestly

It was very temporary so I could take a look at some stuff to let people choose their own theme.

Thanked by (1)tgl

• thank you!

• @AnthonySmith said:

@tgl said:
    @AnthonySmith new theme looks horrible man, I suggest you change it back, even if we dont want to copy lowendtalk they did not invent the green color honestly

It was very temporary so I could take a look at some stuff to let people choose their own theme.

Ah, I missed it... Can someone screenshot me what it looked like?

Btw, I'm using chrome addon Stylus now to use the css I posted. It works great as a temporary dark mode for my browsers in the mean-time.

• SolaireSolaire OG
    edited November 2019

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@tgl said:

Btw, I'm using chrome addon Stylus now to use the css I posted. It works great as a temporary dark mode for my browsers in the mean-time.

We're working to bring a dark theme, including a theme selector :). Thanks for sharing!

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@somik said:
    Site's color scheme is white-green, favicon is blue-white...

Well if your going to use common sense and logic i dont want to take part in this conversation.

LOL! Thats why we are suggesting to come up with a new logo design contest. One man doing it all is never going to be fast enough.

full refresh, the favicon is green now! :)

• @Solaire said:

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@tgl said:

We're working to bring a dark theme, including a theme selector :). Thanks for sharing!

Attached updated CSS that I'm using to convert the white theme to dark theme. I missed out the notifications tab previously, and the attachments still had padding issues. Also, fixed the emotes centering issue.

@AnthonySmith said:

@somik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@somik said:
    Site's color scheme is white-green, favicon is blue-white...

Well if your going to use common sense and logic i dont want to take part in this conversation.

LOL! Thats why we are suggesting to come up with a new logo design contest. One man doing it all is never going to be fast enough.

full refresh, the favicon is green now! :)

Looks good.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

On mobile
    When trying to select text to make it either quote or code, it doesn't work and jumps to top of the page.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Can not add url correctly (gets stuck at ok, Chrome), pictures should be added using url, not uploaded

• foxonefoxone OG
    edited November 2019

It would be nice if the user info looked like this:

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
  • it would be good if you add a picture to not ask for the minimum requirement of characters

This discussion has been closed.