TierHive - Update post - 28th September 2026 (capacity)
AnthonySmith
AdministratorProviderOG 




A bit of an update post, as it has been a while, I accidentally posted this on the end of an old offer. I can't find the old TierHive update post, I think I accidentally transformed an offer and got them all moxed up, and it was long anyway, so I'm starting a fresh one.
HAProxy
Upgrades were done to the HAProxy environment; some mistakes were also made, and we took out a chunk of the HAProxy mesh for a while but we quickly had the others take over, so no one seemed to notice a little bit of added latency for a while.
We improved a few things on HAProxy:
- log rotation was tweaked as they handle way more traffic than expected initially and disks were filling up.
- We started explicitly adding domain:80 and domain:443 as well as domain to the ACL's along with a tunnel timeout, which helps people running websockets behind our HAProxy
- We had to implement tracker detection in HAProxy, as sme customers thought "No torrent activity" meant it is ok to run trackers hitting us with 10k requests p/second; this traffic is now auto-forwarded to GCHQ.

- Added a little more RAM and compute, and we had a few nodes not auto acceting http 2 defaulting to 1.1, that has been fixed.
Singapore
Singapore is pretty overloaded again; more capacity ordered and upgraded this time to cope with the demand and also adding storage (HDD) options.
I know it's not doing well right now in terms of performance. For some reason, we started getting a massive influx of new users in the region. We usually get around 30 - 50 new customers per day on average; for some reason, in the past week, that has jumped to 250 - 300 per day and Singapore was hit hardest by demand. (Nice problem to have, but still a problem)
Stable base, BETA and API
We are now starting to have the first conversations needed to start exposing the API to some degree, but to be clear, it still won't be generally available until we go to BETA, we have agreed that the BETA date will set when we have had 30 days of stable + 30 days.
What this means is that once we have gone 30 days without an issue being reported or found that turns out to be something non-trivial on our side that we need to fix, we will internally set the 30-day countdown to move into BETA. We will announce this if it happens, and assuming nothing crazy happens in the following 30 days that shakes our confidence, we will move to BETA and start fully releasing the API.
I feel like I have been giving everyone an arbitrary date of early 2027; it's nothing but a best guess, and it's not really right. We move to beta when we feel stable enough to be in BETA, and we will likely stay in BETA for a number of years or as long as is needed.
Once in Beta, we will naturally take on more responsibility and accountability for issues and failures and will start to put together a basic SLA. We also plan to get our own ASN registered at this point and start looking at better IPv6 coverage, we will also start looking to gradually replace the hardware over time, moving to EPYC-based platforms as standard offering more RAM and Cores.
New Locations & More RAM
Just in case anyone is not aware TierHive is now in:
• New York, NY (USA)
• Kansas City, MO (USA)
• Vint Hill, VA (USA)
• Hillsboro, OR (USA)
• Beauharnois (Canada) (Up to 8GB Ram)
• Frankfurt (Germany) (Up to 8GB Ram)
• London (UK)
• Warsaw (Poland)
• Amsterdam (Netherlands)
• Paris (France)
• Roubaix (France)
• Gravelines (France) (Up to 8GB Ram)
• Singapore (SG)
• Tokyo (Japan)
• Sydney (Australia) (Up to 8GB Ram)
Static Hosting
Not a lot has changed; we did increase the stability a lot, and we don't get as many issues reported these days, it just kind of works; around 400 users are on the static hosting platform actively, which is fun to see. I will probably release a special offer when that hits 1000.
General Numbers
We stopped counting "Live users" unless they had a VPS live as the volume of trial users is obviously high so the metric has changed a bit, TierHive has created around 15,000 virtual servers and has 3209 Live service accounts currently (A user with at least 1 active VPS) and around 12,000 live accounts (Has added credit and has created a virtual server within the last 90 days)
We still prune users after 90 days of inactivity if they have only had free/trial credit; this is always ongoing; this may also be something we stop doing in BETA.
What's really good to see is that there is a clear pattern of people using it to build virtual servers on demand, short-lived, via recipes and their own startup recipes, only paying for the time they need and then powering off to reduce compute for us and costs for themselves, or just outright deleting and redeploying on a clear pattern (weekends, etc)
We find that Fridays and Sundays have at least 25% more compute time used than other days.
Now & Next
We are struggling a little bit with demand and scale so a lot of the work being done now is to optimise rather than new features and this will probably stay the focus until we move into beta.
My personal goal is to have 24 locations by the end of 2026; it's not feeling likely now, but I do have a target list:
- Vancouver (CA)
- Toronto (CA)
- Chicago (US)
- Miami (US)
- Dallas (US)
- Denver (US)
- Los Angeles (US)
- Ashburn (US)
- Zurich (CH)
- Hong Kong (HK)
- Stockholm (SE)
- Oslo (NO)
- Seoul (KR)
No specific order; I will just pick off that list based on timing and availability. These are locations where prices remain fairly stable; we have already identified the upstream host for the location.
So that's what is up in the land of TierHive.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Comments
One thing that I don't like is that I can't keep both HAProxy and point an AAAA record to my VPS at the same time if I expect SSL to function. It didn't used to complain that it won't update, but now it won't. I'm not sure how the LE system was changed and now identifies my AAAA record, but it kind of makes the IPv6 nearly worthless other than not having to look up my SSH credentials when I forget the node IP address.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
You are absolutley right, and it was a clash because we never planned to have IPv6 in alpha.
Once we have our own IPv6 Block the HAProxy will support IPv6 as well and that issue will go away.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I guess my question would be how this is implemented, would it just be a shared AAAA record across the HAProxy instances as well? I don't really have anything specific that I care about a different hostname for a personal IPv6 on the back, but for the moment, having to nuke and reestablish my IPv6 in order to get an SSL certificate is annoying.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Yeah most likely we will just assign an IPv6 IP directly to the HAProxy servers and then you just point a AAAA at it just like IPv4, probably a way to simplify it, we have been talking about a CNAME also.
Also, we are starting work on the TCP mode options so you can handle SSL on your own VPS directly, which I imagine might be better for you specifically.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Any plan to add something like fider.io ( or in-house )... So we can vote for requests and give feedback?... For me Miami -> Chicago -> Dallas -> Ashburn in that order xD ... Could be nice hosted DNS ( good world replication )
Yeah we need to do something like that, feedback is golden, and it was the driver early on and maybe we are not doing as well at taking feedback now on reflection, I wrote it in my book.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Are there plans to bring HDD blocks to other locations, or is this still being trialled? I've been looking for a host with multiple locations where I can get small SSD/NVMe boot drives and ~1TB HDD blocks attached, currently I have UK + Singapore at another host.
piximg image and gallery hosting · fa.to client-side encrypted storage
Singapore will get HDD options, hopefully by tomorrow, so that will be london, Vint Hill and Singapore.
We are looking to roll that out in as many locations as possible; Canada will probably be next then France and Germany.
Tokyo and New York are still on trial, not 100% sure we have put out the right solution there, not ready to call it yet.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Sounds great, I'll spin up a couple once they become available!
piximg image and gallery hosting · fa.to client-side encrypted storage
is there another way to see if locations have capacity rather than hitting create vps every day?
also hostname displayed in the dash can't be modified, intentional?
thanks hugs.
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
We have been working on this in the sandpit version, so you can get an immediate overview of what is available where, what services are available in that location, speeds and how much it will cost before deploying. It's an extra step, but in reality it's better user experience-wise and actually makes life easier.
Not sure how long it will take, but I am pushing it hard because honestly i think we are losing customers that just don't understand or have the patience to check.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I really had to appreciate that hours after I dumped two more years of tokens into my account that HAProxy was down for several hours. It made me laugh.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Testing VirMach marketing.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
You do not currently have a subnet allocated. This may be because one was never allocated during sign up while we awaited a credit top up, or it was reclaimed after being idle or unused for a long period of time.
💔
Here goes our low-numbered internal subnet.
Then:
/vps/createsuggests making a ticket./subnet-configsays internal subnet would be auto-generated when the first instance is created.We accept Karma donations for the last flan. 🍮 affbrr
Mmm, thanks; that was how it worked originally. It did not scale well, I will get that updated.
I can probably locate your account and reallocate one.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
done
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
initially i created in missouri (it's MO btw :P) then wanting to try the migrate feature i realized NY was an option (listed in migrate dropdown, but wasn't in create dropdown). it acted like it was migrating but then gave me the failed due to capacity response.
i ended up deleting that instance because of the issue i mentioned about not being able to change the hostname (i put location in hostname but if i migrate it's no longer valid and i'm faintly ocd).
so i go to create in MO again and this time after sliding all the slidies i hit deploy and it gives me the failed due to capacity response.
blah blah, i guess the location dropdown in the create ui is static but hasn't been updated recently, but the one in migrate populates live when you access it? but neither one checks capacity before being displayed. i wouldn't necessarily expect that from the static list but struck me that if the one in migrate is populating live maybe it could also check capacity and not display full locations. the 2 location dropdowns having different info is a little jarring.
anyway, not complaints just things i noticed. the whole control ui is a pleasure to navigate and use, really well done.
i dealt with this yesterday or the day before too and while i totally understand reclaiming unused resources, having to open a support ticket to get a subnet assigned when having a subnet is a requirement to use the system was a bit off-putting. if the (re)assigning can't be automated, perhaps at least generate the support ticket automatically? in my case i was like "ok i finally have several minutes in a row to investigate tierhive, oh crap i can't create a vps, ok i have to open a ticket la la, well hopefully i'll have several minutes in a row again after they assign me this base requirement, hope the stars align". just friction, don't really have a suggestion. (i did manage to try again the next morning and a subnet was assigned!)
hopefully i made sense, i'm still drinking coffee and it's a bit stream of consciousness, apologies.
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
Yep thanks, we know. We get around 5 tickets per month telling us, and if we change it we get another 5 explaining why Kansas is not Kansas and Kansas City is not the same as something or other, and Missouri is less confusing if combined and written out in full with kansas city...
The new page is live not reactive so in theory at least, you will know what is available and where before you even start, we also need to hook that into migration.
The interface is designed to be user-friendly, but it still needs a lot of work to be more "accurate" at times in terms of basic logic, this is why we are still in Alpha, apart from the constant backend issues
there are mixed feelings generally that go between "Its fine, go to full-scale production and roll out in 100 locations" and... "Jesus there is a long way to go before we are even ready to be in beta"
We will get there, no rush for us, I would rather get it right.
Days without incident so far: 0
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Am I right in assuming you have no API available at all right now? It'd be quite nice to get a very simple one that allows us to start/stop existing servers. That's my main blocker to use TierHive to run some AI agents doing coding jobs
you're fine, i'm impressed and officially an actual customer as of today hugs.
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
I understand, everyone wants the API, but we are still at 0 days without incident and are still constantly fighting and making changes; we literally have no capacity to also deal with API issues and documentation.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
New compute and storage options for Australia and New York (New Jersey) is open again with upto 8GB options
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
We are reading the Recipes section.
Is there a way to see the actual commands in a recipe before deploying it?
It's good practice to audit code before running.
We accept Karma donations for the last flan. 🍮 affbrr
It's coming soon.
For now if you are quick you can pull it from /tmp on a fresh deploy, not ideal but letting you know it's possible.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
That is good, isn't it? At least, better than have the hardware idling, as we in this community are used to ourselves...
Is it worth to implement demand-based (negative) discounts on locations that (not) see less pressure?
Yeah its a fun problem to have, we like to keep the pricing flat, so we are just focusing on capacity. Waiting on Singapore hardware, 4x the capacity in new York and doubled it in london, I need to add more capacity in Vint Hill, and waiting for hardware in Amsterdam (hopefully next week) by which time I expect more capacity in Germany will be needed and possibly Canada.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Weren't there big problems with the provider in Amsterdam and Paris? I thought you were going to drop them, so I moved my stuff off Amsterdam some time ago after the big outage.
We came to an agreement but I will replace them entirely over time, alternatives have been found.
Essentially human error was the cause, new account at the time, abuse report came in for malware and they suspended the service first and notification came later.
After a lot of digging and back and forth, the abuse report had no time or date stamp and no evidence attached, it came via cloudflare so was taken as legit, when I reached out to trust and safety at cloudflare they confirmed it was a report from 2 weeks before I even took control of the IP address and even then, no logs or evidence was attached.
Knee jerk reactions from untrained staff, it ultimately was very embarrassing for them and they backed down.
Oneprovider are strictly off limits for TierHive now, I expect to have Amsterdam at 4x capacity within a week or so and will just let the current AMS drain (while offering migration) over time and drop the Oneprovider node.
Same with Paris probably within a month, maybe 2.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
So if a new vps is deployed in Amsterdam and Paris now, does it go on a new node (not Oneprovider)? Or will that come later? Thanks.
Later but soon.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Vint hill VA USA capacity added.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Preview of the new VPS create page: https://control.tierhive.com/vps/precreate
Needs to be manually accessed right now, still in testing but pretty impossible to test outside of live, thought I would share it.
Allows up to 10 servers to be created at once now, either all with the same resources and OS or all with different settings and keys etc.
It will soon replace the standard creation route, which was always really direct from the mockup design and kind of "just did the job for now"
You can go through to the last stage without being billed anything; just don't finalise and create.
Feedback wanted.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
The TierHive Control Panel seems to me a lot faster and easier to use than many other control panels. I know this is just a single user's report of anecdotal experience. But, for whatever it's worth, I like TierHive!
Why no NetBSD?
Thanks! Best wishes!
not too much to say about the multicreation (though its very cool) but the new locations ui is much nicer to deal with than the current dropdown thanks.
(btw missouri is mo~)
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
Thanks, it's a lot easier in many ways when you make the panel for yourself rather than catering for everyone, I have a whole new level of respect for VirtFusion.
No netbsd because I don't want to have to maintain a set of custom templates right now, my colleague does openbsd And that's annoying enough haha
If NetBSD get with the program and start producing cloud images... I will add them
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Thanks, ok I will try to remember to update it to MO tomorrow
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
oh no man don't care just yanking your chain lol sorry
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
Mmmm, yeah! I wonder why NetBSD doesn't seem to provide official cloud images? Nevertheless, @cmeerw makes unofficial NetBSD raw cloud images available at https://netbsd.cmeerw.net/. I have tried these images, they work great. I have an @cmeerw NetBSD image installed and working on Tierhive. Maybe @cmeerw's unofficial NetBSD 11.0 image could be added to the TierHive installer?
Thanks and best wishes!
I can imagine 2 issues here: NetBSD needs to be booted with some "vesa" setting on TierHive, and I am not sure the meta data CD will survive the first reboot on TierHive (after the file system has been resized) - the images only try to read the meta data on the second boot.
Wel its done now
Also the new provisning system is live now, no need ot use the special link
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I wish I had more use-case for this project, because it's fun (and generally simple other than a few flow concerns), but I pretty much only need the two VPS these days. Maybe I'll spin something up out of boredom. Any ETA for native IPv6 support w/ HAProxy?
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
I'm genuinely curious what HAProxy have to do with IPv6? Whole HAProxy thing is there to tunnel IPv4:443/IPv4:80 requests to your VPS. But the same VPS do have dedicated IPv6, which doesn't require any tunneling.
Sorry if the question is dumb.
Ant said when they get "Native" IPv6 addresses, he'll tie an IPv6 address to HAProxy. The way I was using it was binding to IPv6 and using the generated LE on my IPv6 w/o a proxy in the way, but they changed how that works and I can't run the same hostname as tied to HAProxy because it won't generate new certificates anymore.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Honestly it could be a while, not even sorted out own ASN yet and that needs to happen first.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Oh. I expected you to just rent, not actually advertise your own routes. Guess it makes sense. Probably easier to handle your VLAN traffic without relying on WireGuard for everything.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
@AnthonySmith:
Just deployed a box in Tokyo and performance isn't amazing atm - steal is >50 on average. Is this normal?
Noticed performance really varies across regions, so far the best experience we had was in Singapore and Portland.
Ended up hosting elsewhere for now (double the monthly rate w/ its own IPv4), but am awaiting for more capacity to be available in Singapore before we have more services deployed
Yeah Tokyo is stuffed, Tokyo was an experimental region, I wrote about it here and on Reddit and emailed those subscribers to platform updates about it.
We were testing the viability of doing harder to do locations with Hosthatch VDS options we did NYC and Japan, locations that are usually more expensive so would not usually fit with TierHive due to costs.
We did that for a month or so, it didn't work out, but the demand was so high for NYC we just bit the bullet and got dedicated hardware there.
Japan was due to be decommissioned too but I made a last minute decision to give it another month and try it as a micro location with much smaller resources allowed, as pert of this there is going to be a period of switch over and settlement performance is going to suck a bit while we get things sorted out.
If it works it means we can also do Hong Kong and Seoul if not.... I tried.
You will always find a better faster solution than TierHive, that's not what we are about.
Singapore is now 2 days past Maximum SLA allowance on delivery to us and it's frustrating as hell having paid for the new stuff and storage options almost a month ago, but hardware in that region is like rocking horse turds apparently so we have no choice but to hope and pray it's not to much longer.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Shameless hint to @OVHcloud_APAC 258749854
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
As an alternative, maybe allow custom images - I mean you can kind of do it already by using an Alpine image as the first ISO and the actual image you want to use as the second ISO and then just write that second image to
/dev/vda, but it's a somewhat painful process. And, of course, if we could then still get a meta data ISO with the network configuration/SSH keys, that would make it really simple to set up any OS.All coming
only so many hours in the day and I have backed off from significant change to chase stability or UX issues getting in the way of onboarding.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/