Your favorite linux server distro

13»

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@terrorgen said:
    Yet I chose i3, which is not prebuilt, lol

It helps to have one already working; then just add the option to lightdm/sddm/whatever login servie you're using. After working, then remove gnome/kde/cinnamon/etc..

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:

@terrorgen said:
    Yet I chose i3, which is not prebuilt, lol

It helps to have one already working; then just add the option to lightdm/sddm/whatever login servie you're using. After working, then remove gnome/kde/cinnamon/etc..

ah! didn't know to trick!

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• I did not take a look at Devuan since it came out. Is it a mature alternative in the meantime?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Amitz said: I did not take a look at Devuan since it came out.

Neither have I, but so far I've been able to avoid any system debilitating malware by carefully curating my Debian installs. So far only with Promox based setups have I had to sell my soul to the devil and that too because I've not (yet) had the time to invest in converting one package to play nice. Eventually...

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Amitz said:
    I did not take a look at Devuan since it came out. Is it a mature alternative in the meantime?

Yeah. Ascii (latest for Devuan) is basically on-par with Deb 9. There is no specific Deb 10 compatible build that is complete, yet. Keep in mind it took like 6 months from 9's release before we saw any real work on ASCII. As long as you can handle patches but don't need bleeding edge, it works perfectly fine.

Thanked by (1)Amitz

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:

@Amitz said:
    I did not take a look at Devuan since it came out. Is it a mature alternative in the meantime?

Yeah. Ascii (latest for Devuan) is basically on-par with Deb 9. There is no specific Deb 10 compatible build that is complete, yet. Keep in mind it took like 6 months from 9's release before we saw any real work on ASCII. As long as you can handle patches but don't need bleeding edge, it works perfectly fine.

Devuan feels a bit like "old-time Debian", and I mean this in a positive sense. As @WSS says, Devuan ASCII ~ Debian 9, definitely stable.

Thanked by (1)Amitz

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)