All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• I've updated my staging and production sites today not seen any issues with 5.5. One site needed a DB update after but no issues.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Has anyone had any experience with the following wp-config settings? Might be better than using even more plugins:

/* Compression */

define( 'COMPRESS_CSS', true );

define( 'COMPRESS_SCRIPTS', true );

define( 'CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false );

define( 'ENFORCE_GZIP', true );

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:
    Has anyone had any experience with the following wp-config settings? Might be better than using even more plugins:

/* Compression */

At least zip can be done at the server level, not using the PHP app (i.e. WordPress) to do it, no?
    Not really sure about the rest.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vimalware

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

/* Compression */

At least zip can be done at the server level, not using the PHP app (i.e. WordPress) to do it, no?
    Not really sure about the rest.

GZIP can be done on server level, although not all shared hosts offer it iirc. HM does though iirc.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

Speaking of WP 5.5 problems...

Why on earth would someone upgrade a production level site with a new release?

Thanked by (1)Unixfy
  • @vyas said:

To fix bugs? Security? New features?

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

@dev said:

@vyas said:

The question was about 'production level site'. Why not try it on a staging site first?

• @vyas said:

@dev said:

@vyas said:

The question was about 'production level site'. Why not try it on a staging site first?

It’s the “if it breaks, restore from back up” tactic ?

• WP Stackable a Gutenburg Pagebuilder on sale
    Looks interesting
    US $69/ 1 site, US $150/ 10 sites
    https://wpstackable.com

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Found this nice summary or Wordpress 5.5 update:

• @dev said:

@vyas said:

@dev said:

@vyas said:

It’s the “if it breaks, restore from back up” tactic ?

You know it!

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

Lol

Looks like they resolved the matter and Apple gave a lame ass excuse and apology.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • On a Wp realted note:

Does anybody use Plesk for shared hosting ? If so, can they send pictures of WP installation process? 5 to 6 would be adequate.. thanks in advance!

• Has anyone used or using hCaptcha on their WordPress websites and can share some experiences?

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@LeonDynamic said:
    Has anyone used or using hCaptcha on their WordPress websites and can share some experiences?

I have seen hcaptcha in some crypto sites. Very bad captcha actually. It shows all 9 images of buses/plane/car/bicycles and asks you to select. With user point of view, I hate it.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• Lol that’s the one Cloudflare uses ?

• edited September 2020

@LeonDynamic said:
    Has anyone used or using hCaptcha on their WordPress websites and can share some experiences?

ive used hcapthca , if you planning to monetize it than forget it it takes ages to get approved for monetization
    also their captcha is monotonous for users ( many user reported )

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • Hello guys, I need little help ,
    i've been using a WordPress side php powered backup system for a small blog/website and a snapshot from a provider for heavy websites.
    Recently one of the client decided to cut corners and disabled snapshot option due to budget issues.
    he said he takes full responsibility for continuing without backup and i won't be the person to blame in case of mishap
    but we know how things works with clients so i wanted to know if anyone is using implementation friendly bash/shell script for WordPress backup which i can run on server level cron.

• @vyas said:
    On a Wp realted note:

Does anybody use Plesk for shared hosting ? If so, can they send pictures of WP installation process? 5 to 6 would be adequate.. thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/vd9dAQU

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @wordpress said:

if anyone is using implementation friendly bash/shell script for WordPress backup which i can run on server level cron.

Borg + borgmatic

Nice ransomware proof (especially if you use append-only)

Just a kindly reminder to update wp. Dealing with a client's broken Version 2.7 install is fun.. :D

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @Ympker said:
    Just a kindly reminder to update wp. Dealing with a client's broken Version 2.7 install is fun.. :D

WP 5.4 update to 5.5.1 broke Divi configuration. But, after fresh reinstall and restore the back up it run normal again..

Thanked by (1)Ympker

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @bikegremlin said:
    My experience with WP caching (TL/DR LiteSpeed is way better than everything I've tried - except the paid only WP Rocket, which is close):

https://io.bikegremlin.com/7303/wordpress-caching/

Any review of object cache? In my experience, redis didn't have any significant performance improvement. I guess most request is handled by page cache. Rarely need to extract database. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Action and Reaction in history

• @chocolateshirt been reading up on the WP 5.5 and page builder issues.

And don’t listen to @Ympker and his moaning about having to update a WP site. He probably got Shanghaied into doing it (friend/significant others friend’s site) or he got too drunk and boasted he could fix it. Considering October is a few weeks away, I suspect the latter.

On a serious note, would love to know why he really took up the job. To me it sounds like a disaster from the description. Hats off for taking it up!

Thanked by (2)chocolateshirt Ympker

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:
    My experience with WP caching (TL/DR LiteSpeed is way better than everything I've tried - except the paid only WP Rocket, which is close):

Any review of object cache? In my experience, redis didn't have any significant performance improvement. I guess most request is handled by page cache. Rarely need to extract database. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Well written replies on stackexchange - Redis VS Memcached:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10558465/memcached-vs-redis

Thanked by (1)vimalware

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Perhaps a little misunderstood, Redis is undeniably a powerful cache layer and hash is a remarkable data structure. It's role is mainly to cache the MySQL into a hash map(or something I forgot). However, Wordpress usually under full page cache which means Wordpress itself is rarely ask for any database stuff. This makes me think that object cache is pointless, and fewer components, higher stability. I no longer use any object cache in my recent installation. However, I want to know if any one do the real test before.

Action and Reaction in history

@vyas said:
    @chocolateshirt been reading up on the WP 5.5 and page builder issues.

And don’t listen to @Ympker and his moaning about having to update a WP site. He probably got Shanghaied into doing it (friend/significant others friend’s site) or he got too drunk and boasted he could fix it. Considering October is a few weeks away, I suspect the latter.

On a serious note, would love to know why he really took up the job. To me it sounds like a disaster from the description. Hats off for taking it up!

It could have been either of the aforementioned. But yeah, it's a person I know? I am definitely having fun?

Thanked by (1)vyas

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Perhaps a little misunderstood, Redis is undeniably a powerful cache layer and hash is a remarkable data structure. It's role is mainly to cache the MySQL into a hash map(or something I forgot). However, Wordpress usually under full page cache which means Wordpress itself is rarely ask for any database stuff. This makes me think that object cache is pointless, and fewer components, higher stability. I no longer use any object cache in my recent installation. However, I want to know if any one do the real test before.

I didn't test before/after object cache. Might give it a run.

Without any caching, WordPress reads the database for any page it shows.

Thanked by (1)elliotc

• @ympker read in a WP specific Forum that someone is planning to set upa VPs with PHP5.x and WP 4.x versions (only)
    to make money from those who did not bother to upgrade.

Thanked by (1)Ympker