All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Is this okay for my client WP news site which got suspended from HM for resource usage?

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

I came to know about i/o usage only after payment and logging on to cpanel..

Tbh HM has some of the highest resource allocations around in shared hosting. Maybe optimizing the website would be a better step forward knowing that some of HM shared plans even have up to 6? GB RAM and high I/O.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2020

@Ympker said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Is this okay for my client WP news site which got suspended from HM for resource usage?

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

Tbh HM has some of the highest resource allocations around in shared hosting. Maybe optimizing the website would be a better step forward knowing that some of HM shared plans even have up to 6? GB RAM and high I/O.

a. Clone the site
    b. Disable all plugins
    c. Turn them on one by one

Overall the I/O seems low considering the specs. Can they bump that up?
    Check out the specs for ExtraVM or Ramnode in Ympker's sheet.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

I asked HM whether they can keep that client's site in their own shared hostng or not. But they refused. Hence no more thinking about HM. My present host (their server is at Hivelocity) is giving 200% CPU and 2GB Ram. Still for better performance, I am moving to the latest 4GB Ram one and will let you know how it goes.

I asked them to raise i/o usage limit. But they are asking to upgrade to next plan with 3MB/s which I think as unnecessary now. Will move the site there tonight and update you later.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• @Intelpentium0 said:

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

How much is it? With that spec I think it would be great if you rent a VPS.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• edited September 2020

Hi, I got a nice yearly deal, shared hosting from some provider and install some WordPress and so far so good. I got an idea and for me, it seems to work.
    To add some extra security protection to your /wp-admin/ site you can limit this to certain IP only. Other people won't be able to access this. For more info kindly read this article I made. Too long to paste here.

https://www.basaka.top/2020/09/securing-your-wordpress-admin-page/

Hope this helps some newbies out there.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Intelpentium0 said:

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

I asked HM whether they can keep that client's site in their own shared hostng or not. But they refused. Hence no more thinking about HM. My present host (their server is at Hivelocity) is giving 200% CPU and 2GB Ram. Still for better performance, I am moving to the latest 4GB Ram one and will let you know how it goes.

I asked them to raise i/o usage limit. But they are asking to upgrade to next plan with 3MB/s which I think as unnecessary now. Will move the site there tonight and update you later.

HM's has a resource usage policy. Something like this:
    “Any account should not use more than 25% CPU consistently for more than 5 minutes. If you are consistently using 25% or more CPU, you will need to upgrade to the next available hosting plan. If you are using the maximum hosting plan and are still using 25% or more CPU consistently, then you have most likely outgrown a shared hosting environment and should therefore obtain a VPS or dedicated server to better suit your needs.”

Not sure about the other resources. Anyway, what I would do is:

• check the resource usage stats - to see what is taking, and how many resources, at what times, for how long.
    • see if the website can be optimized, if caching can be implemented (more) efficiently

Only after doing all the "homework", would I go looking for other (more expensive?) hosting solutions. Because I think it's never too late to throw more resources (and money) into a website. But without good optimization, it can go to crazy amounts.

Having said that, if memory serves me well (I would check before buying), Veerotech had reseller hosting policy where they said it's OK to use resources as much as you like. They use CloudLinux LVE (Lightweight Virtual Environment) and LiteSpeed to set limits per account, so neither one can (ab)use more than their given share, and said they are fine with a user taking 100% of those - they'd just be cut to the limit (and site should be fine if run at 90% of those).

Premium price, less crowded servers - that seems to be the story. I hadn't put that to the test though.

My experience with Veerotech reseller hosting

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@chocolateshirt said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

2 vCore
    4 GB Ram
    150 EP
    IOPS 2048
    No. of processes 175
    and atlast
    i/o usage 2MB/s

How much is it? With that spec I think it would be great if you rent a VPS.

I paid around $67 for one year. But only after that I came to know about 2 MBps I/o usage limit. I opened a ticket by requesting to increase upto 4 MBps which they refused. Hence I am thinking to cancel it. At present, iam with 8MBps limit and moving down to 2MBps may not be good for site performance. Right?
    Using cache plugin (the one with cheetah my favourite cache plugin in WP) along with Bunnycdn. Iam using Postie plugin for auto posting via email. The only problem that iam facing is at 6 pm Indian time. The news with Covid19 data for our state will come out at 6pm. But the news posted via Postie at that time will be published only after 20 minutes. In the Postie settings, it's set to check every 10 minutes and publish 2 posts. But only at 6pm, it will take 20 minutes which is the main reason for moving from current provider.

Try using LiteSpeed WP caching plugin since it's a LiteSpeed server - it works noticeably better compared to most others.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:
    Try using LiteSpeed WP caching plugin since it's a LiteSpeed server - it works noticeably better compared to most others.

I used it before when it was in HM server. But the issue of hitting limits were severe. Later I changed to the Cheetah cache and for sure the front end performance improved.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited September 2020

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

I used it before when it was in HM server. But the issue of hitting limits were severe. Later I changed to the Cheetah cache and for sure the front end performance improved.

Try to ser up a staging site,
    with LS Cache... and use Quic.cloud. With HM you can get 10 GB/month in free tier. I have seen some good results so far.
    Nice scores on gtmerix and Google pagespeed too...

https://amarvyas.in/set-up-quic-cloud-content-delivery-network/

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • WP users:
    How do you publish and Update your blog posts?
    a. "Go Commando" i.e publish directly by logging on to WP
    b. Jetpack: Use iaWriter or similar tool (or WP App)
    c. Use a writing tool (online/offline)
    d. Use a staging site (or a private site, publish there, do sanity checks and transfer)
    e. Something else (pl elaborate)

I am working on a crazy project (more on that later) and tyring to figure out how to manage the same... looking to minimize logins/ active logges on sessions Thanks in advance for ideas.

I log into the website and do all the writing.
    What's the use of using a "modern CMS" if a thing like adding new content requires a more complex procedure than that?
    That's one of its very few upsides compared to a static HTML website, no? :)

• @bikegremlin said:
    What's the use of using a "modern CMS" if a thing like adding new content requires a more complex procedure than that?

I concur.
    My issue was with the following hypothetical secenario
    a. blogging frequently (every 2 days)
    b. Updating new posts multiple times (5 to 6 edits within 24-36 hours)
    c. Updating ublished posts multiple times (3 to 4 edits over 2 months)

I have seen spiked in resource use while doing 2 and particularly 3. That's what drove the idea.

@vyas said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

Try to ser up a staging site,
    with LS Cache... and use Quic.cloud. With HM you can get 10 GB/month in free tier. I have seen some good results so far.
    Nice scores on gtmerix and Google pagespeed too...

https://amarvyas.in/set-up-quic-cloud-content-delivery-network/

Thank you @vyas. I will check Quic.cloud along with LS cache.

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

I concur.
    My issue was with the following hypothetical secenario
    a. blogging frequently (every 2 days)
    b. Updating new posts multiple times (5 to 6 edits within 24-36 hours)
    c. Updating ublished posts multiple times (3 to 4 edits over 2 months)

I have seen spiked in resource use while doing 2 and particularly 3. That's what drove the idea.

I've seen spiked resource usage only when doing some major changes - like editing categories hierarchy on a website that uses Polylang where categories for both languages are set to be synced automatically.

But even that didn't cause any downtime, 500 errors etc. The only time I got those errors was when I was on a poor quality hosting - there it happened even when I did no changes to the website. After doing all the optimizations I could, 500 errors had stopped, even during edits/publishing, but load tests failed at about 15 concurrent visitors. So I signed up for a bit more expensive shared hosting, and had no problems even with 50 visitor load tests - so I decided to switch, since I often saw about 10+ people browsing the site at the same time in Google Analytics. And because I had learned about EIG. :)

What you say might have sense for websites with thousand(s) posts/pages, maybe more than a few editors, and a huge number of visitors - haven't tested that scenario yet. It's an interesting topic to get into.

• Good points @bikegremlin !
    In the interim I am using Storychief for posting/ updating. Though updating requires clearing cache everytime, etc. a different headache but that also send home the message that all edits, experimentation, etc can be done in SC before publish

MXroute of WordPress SEO plugins. :)
    My The SEO Framework (TSF) review/experience

TL/DR - it's good, give it a try.

Wrote about the free version only for now - paid one will get a separate article.

Thanked by (1)Chievo

• @bikegremlin said:
    MXroute of WordPress SEO plugins. :)
    My The SEO Framework (TSF) review/experience

TL/DR - it's good, give it a try.

Wrote about the free version only for now - paid one will get a separate article.

Thanks bikegremlin ! Nice post

Dentistry is my passion

Looks very similar (identical?) to the available option to bypass cache on cookie that comes with Cloudflare's more expensive paid plans (starts at Business, 200 $ per month).

But you end up relying on Cloudflare, and paying them, every month.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

Looks very similar (identical?) to the available option to bypass cache on cookie that comes with Cloudflare's more expensive paid plans (starts at Business, 200 $ per month).

True, although they have a free tier. Rn not using it though.

edited October 2020

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

For that WordPress caching, if you wish to cache most stuff, you need the control to not show cached admin versions to users, or one user's version to another.
    That cost the 200 $ plan, but if this WP thing works, it will end up costing 5 $ for WP - we'll see.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

For that WordPress caching, if you wish to cache most stuff, you need the control to not show cached admin versions to users, or one user's version to another.
    That cost the 200 $ plan, but if this WP thing works, it will end up costing 5 $ for WP - we'll see.

Time will tell. So far not using any cdn and onl used LSCache from HM :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • edited October 2020

Anyone use this WP Cloudflare Super Page Cache plugin, it's cache everything and provide functionality like 200$ plan on the free tier. How it's compared to new WordPress apo thing?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@masoodalam5 said:
    Anyone use this WP Cloudflare Super Page Cache plugin, it's cache everything and provide functionality like 200$ plan on the free tier. How it's compared to new WordPress apo thing?

Plugin seems to be working.
    Downside? If you use any other (sub)domain with a website, the plugin introduced rule gets it cashed on Cloudflare.
    If it's another WP website - you just need to install the plugin there as well.
    If it's a non-WP website, and you don't want it all cached (backend, or some dynamic data) - then you've got a problem.

For the WP APO - found some complaints about subdomains. Not 100% sure it works if there are subdomains used, even if they are configured as A records, not CNAME. Needs looking into.
    Also, here I'm not sure what happens if you have other stuff, using subdomains, that isn't WP.

edited October 2020

WordPress seems to (as of recently) automatically create a "page" for every media attachment/file (img, pdf whatever) you upload. This sucks for some cookie Plugins which are free until 100 subpages but due to the aforementioned count image pages and attachment pages also towards that number since the attachment pages can, obviously, also contain cookies. This kinda sucks though so I looked around and it seems like the only way to stop the automatic creation of subpage upon media upload (e.g. when you upload picture.jpg a page and permalink named yourdomain.com/picturename will be created) is relying on yet more plugins to stop this. What a pita.

Referring to this, mainly:

https://support.cookiebot.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003797213-According-to-Wordpress-I-have-less-than-100-pages-on-my-website-Why-does-your-scanner-say-that-I-have-more-than-100-

I mean, there are ways to do this and plugins but it still sucks.

• a. Can you ‘noindex’ the image files?
    b. There is a script/ plugin for feature image and anyways makes sense to use CDN for media files.
    c. I keep 8 or 10 lowers files. All images including Gutenberg gallery /Modula gallery.... I use the dummy images.
    Then manually change the image to a CDN and change alt, etc.

Kind of a pain. Looking to automate via script or some other way

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited October 2020

@vyas said:
    a. Can you ‘noindex’ the image files?
    b. There is a script/ plugin for feature image and anyways makes sense to use CDN for media files.
    c. I keep 8 or 10 lowers files. All images including Gutenberg gallery /Modula gallery.... I use the dummy images.
    Then manually change the image to a CDN and change alt, etc.

Kind of a pain. Looking to automate via script or some other way

Thanks for the ideas, mate. Yeah, I'll give it a thought. For a specific client there are some 30+ PDF pages used. May put them on a public accessible folder (since they are meant to be publicly accessed anyway) in the wp-uploads folder like "/uploads/pdfdocs/.." and link from there. That way no attachment pages are created since I don't upload them via the wordpress media upload function and yet will be backed up if WP is being backed up (including uploads directory). CDN is a good idea in general but not so much for clients that want a setup&forget solution, that is to say without me further managing or taking care of the site (also hosting elsewhere).

I also found smth like https://wordpress.org/plugins/attachment-pages-redirect/#description but, obviously, if the plugin stops being updated... I could also setup redirects in htaccess or similar but oh boy..

Could also host media on a subdomain tbh.. hm :D

• @Ympker said:
    I also found smth like https://wordpress.org/plugins/attachment-pages-redirect/#description but, obviously, if the plugin stops being updated... I could also setup redirects in htaccess or similar but oh boy..

You can do this automatically within WordPress using the functions file without the need for a plugin. I suspect this is what the plugin is doing anyway.

I think the Yoast SEO plugin, if you use it, has an option for this as well.

The SEO Framework, along with most other SEO plugins will noindex the media pages. Pro version (paid for one) allows automatic redirection of those (in case you had messed up and the media pages have become indexed by search engines). Or you can use custom code in a child theme to do that. Or get a plugin just for that (my least preferred option - adding one more plugin).

How to change media page URL (if you happen to desire making a page with that URL, but a media is already created with that URL).