Dedicated - KVM IP - Custom ISO

edited September 2020 in Requests

Hello,

I have a project needing a dedicated server for a client... client wants to run/ host a simple light weight Windows app. Client prefers Dedicated server only.

Location US East preferred (but anywhere else in the world OK)
KVM over IP/ IPMI console needed (dont need 24/7 - even on demand ok)
Win Server 2019 - trial or custom iso or licensed.

Disk/ RAM / Bandwidth/ Processor - no preference. Just enough to run Windows server.

Budget - lowest possible (less than $15-$20)? If this is too low please post your best offer.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Your best chance to get dedicated that cheap is from wholesaleinternet within the US.

• @theaoneone said:
    Your best chance to get dedicated that cheap is from wholesaleinternet within the US.

Thank you. Guess their pre configured servers so not provide any KVM ip or custom iso for windows...

• @nynynyny said:
    Hello,

I have a project needing a dedicated server for a client... client wants to run/ host a simple light weight Windows app. Client prefers Dedicated server only.

Location US East preferred (but anywhere else in the world OK)
    KVM over IP/ IPMI console needed (dont need 24/7 - even on demand ok)
    Win Server 2019 - trial or custom iso or licensed.

Disk/ RAM / Bandwidth/ Processor - no preference. Just enough to run Windows server.

Budget - lowest possible (less than $15-$20)? If this is too low please post your best offer.

Thank you in advance.

Dacentec has affordable Dedis and offers free KVM over IP upon request for up to 12 hours at a time. However they use Lantronics KVM Spiders, not very good.

Some of their dedis do have native IP KVM but being the servers are very outdated they often require running a very old copy of Firefox with Java for the Remote Consoles to work. I used to have one that used SSL v3, so I had to get a copy of Portable Firebox 42, and a copy of Portable Java 1.7 from PortableApps.

Reprise Hosting also has IP KVM on their servers but it is behind a PPTP VPN.

Wholesale Internet/Nocix usually only has IP KVM available on their newer (more expensive) servers.

Given your budget, if you can convince your client that a virtual dedicated server would be acceptable for their needs (having dedicated CPU cores and other resources at their disposal) I think you will find that both you and the client will be happier as they will tend to perform better than a 10 year old server.

Is the main concern regarding on-demand resource availability, or security?

Realistically, at your price point getting a server with IPMI access that will work out of the box on a modern PC that the client could access is not going to be feasible.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• edited September 2020

Is the main concern regarding on-demand resource availability, or security?

Thanks for the write up. I did speak with my client again. The client feels a dedicated provides more security compared to a vps with shared or dedicated resources. Whi ch they feel they need for the simple app they plan to host.

Plus they want to enable bitlocker for boootup where ipmi will assist incase of restarts.

Because of which they are OK with any specs.

Also location does not matter.

Kimsufi would have worked out great except for no ipmi support.

• Shameless bump.....

• @nynynyny said:
    Shameless bump.....

Reprise Hosting, drServer (if they have any more in stock), ReliableSite, or Dacentec with their KVM over IP on demand are your best bet then. Either that or increase your budget, or look into really cheap blade server/1U colo.

Good luck!

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

I was about to post i could probably do something that fits your requirements for around 35 in .eu.

But honestly i think you are better off going with dacentec since .us is your location preference. (check their facebook for discount codes that get posted every now and then...

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @SGraf said:
    I was about to post i could probably do something that fits your requirements for around 35 in .eu.

But honestly i think you are better off going with dacentec since .us is your location preference. (check their facebook for discount codes that get posted every now and then...

Thnx. I really dont care about location tbh. Just a small server with ipmi kvm. That's all.