Moderators/admins - how do you feel about having them?

13»

Comments

• On my small (1k users) community, i've given very limited options to remove posts to people that were most active, instead of letting them report all the time thus wasting my time deleting very trivial stuff.

It's not required by them to react to stuff against the rules - they can totally ignore it - but it has created a sorta self-moderating community that's working very well so far.

• An hyphen. Is this 2020 stuff?

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@imok said:

An hyphen. Is this 2020 stuff?

20+20 = 40, I am 40, coinidence?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Hey, this is the moderator account, testing, testing.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Naix

This is a shared moderator account you are not addressing any specific individual when you tag this account, please use the flag button to report issues, PM's and @ mentions will not be acknowledged.

• @LES-Moderator said:
    Hey, this is the moderator account, testing, testing.

Give me full privileges, I can test it too.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@LES-Moderator said:

So... a Russian admin? Nice - I knew it! :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @LES-Moderator said:

Tempted to flag this :p

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@LES-Moderator said:

I think the idea of having a few moderators to help @AnthonySmith is a great idea!

I do not remember having any big reaction to the mention I seem to recall saying that moderation should be anonymous so as to prevent negative responses directed back at the moderators.

But anonymous moderation suddenly seemed really creepy when I first saw the above test message just now. Suddenly there's Somebody on high, in charge, but we here down below have no way of knowing who it is that wields power over us. The test message conceivably could be read as saying, "Hey, here I am, exhibiting my strength!"

If there now is a panel of moderators, might we at least be informed who are the members of the panel? Maybe there might be a good reason for not immediately and publicly disclosing which panel member takes each specific action, but I respectfully vote against power completely hidden.

I strongly urge that the decision to set up anonymous moderation be reconsidered!

Thanks, to everyone for listening to my point-of-view, and to @AnthonySmith for listening and for trying to do everything the best possible way! ?⭐?

Thanked by (2)imok yoursunny

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2021

@Not_Oles said: "Hey, here I am, exhibiting my strength!"

That was me posting that as the mod account to test I had set up the rights properly.

I have also set a super minimal set of rights for moderators on LES, it is needed rights only, unlike LET they cannot read your PM's they cannot check your IP history, they can only quite literally moderate conversation and move comments etc to prevent spam or rule abuse.

@Not_Oles said: If there now is a panel of moderators, might we at least be informed who are the members of the panel? Maybe there might be a good reason for not immediately and publicly disclosing which panel member takes each specific action, but I respectfully vote against power completely hidden.

I strongly urge that the decision to set up anonymous moderation be reconsidered!

I understand your concern, ultimately the moderators are accountable to me, I have chosen the path of anonymity because I know first hand what degree of abuse it leads too, not an abuse of power, literally bile spewing abuse.

I have had my business and extended family attacked publicly, businesses have been sabotaged and impacted, FAT32 and his family are now under attack by a collection of people from China for a voluntary role at LET he performs.

I have told the moderators that they are very welcome to disclose that they are moderators I believe it is important to make that a personal choice as it is them in the firing line after all. They obviously are not at liberty to reveal who else is a moderator.

So I would instead urge you to consider why you would want someone to potentially go through that to satisfy what is likely just a curiosity or fear of something that 'might' happen but in reality has not happened when they are simply volunteering and remain accountable to me anyway.

I have also had to at this stage at least reject a few hosts that wanted to be moderators, again from firsthand experience I know that is not ideal and brings (unfair) targeting.

At the point there are paid moderators they will be clearly defined as such and that will not be anonymous at all.

If any of this needs to change it will change, but not <24 hours after getting it started :)

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

@flips said:

@LES-Moderator said:

Tempted to flag this :p

Would that I were so clever as @flips! ?

Thanked by (1)flips

Lorem ipsum> @AnthonySmith said:

@Not_Oles said: "Hey, here I am, exhibiting my strength!"

That was me posting that as the mod account to test I had set up the rights properly.

I have also set a super minimal set of rights for moderators on LES, it is needed rights only, unlike LET they cannot read your PM's they cannot check your IP history, they can only quite literally moderate conversation and move comments etc to prevent spam or rule abuse.

@Not_Oles said: If there now is a panel of moderators, might we at least be informed who are the members of the panel? Maybe there might be a good reason for not immediately and publicly disclosing which panel member takes each specific action, but I respectfully vote against power completely hidden.

I understand your concern, ultimately the moderators are accountable to me, I have chosen the path of anonymity because I know first hand what degree of abuse it leads too, not an abuse of power, literally bile spewing abuse.

I have had my business and extended family attacked publicly, businesses have been sabotaged and impacted, FAT32 and his family are now under attack by a collection of people from China for a voluntary role at LET he performs.

I have told the moderators that they are very welcome to disclose that they are moderators I believe it is important to make that a personal choice as it is them in the firing line after all. They obviously are not at liberty to reveal who else is a moderator.

So I would instead urge you to consider why you would want someone to potentially go through that to satisfy what is likely just a curiosity or fear of something that 'might' happen but in reality has not happened when they are simply volunteering and remain accountable to me anyway.

I have also had to at this stage at least reject a few hosts that wanted to be moderators, again from firsthand experience I know that is not ideal and brings (unfair) targeting.

At the point there are paid moderators they will be clearly defined as such and that will not be anonymous at all.

If any of this needs to change it will change, but not <24 hours after getting it started :)

@AnthonySmith I appreciate your taking time to reply so carefully and thoroughly. Thank you! ?

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

I don't want to be a masked man and can handle facing the pitchforks, so I'll come forward and say that Ant has tapped me about helping out as a volunteer moderator. I've accepted and am looking forward to serving the community to the best of my abilities.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

@Mason said:
    I don't want to be a masked man and can handle facing the pitchforks, so I'll come forward and say that Ant has tapped me about helping out as a volunteer moderator. I've accepted and am looking forward to serving the community to the best of my abilities.

Awesome! @Mason, thank you for your service! :)

Thanked by (1)Mason

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Mason said:

thanks and I'm pretty I know which thread will never be closed /jk

Thanked by (1)Mason

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Not_Oles said:

@Mason said:

Awesome! @Mason, thank you for your service! :)

YAMS

Yet Another Moderator Service

Thanked by (3)Ympker Mason yoursunny

Squats are the new Push-ups

• edited January 2021

Mason is a great guy , so Ant did choose the right person.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@LES-Moderator said:

Waiting for the first Moderator fight on what profile pic to use ;)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@mikho said:

@LES-Moderator said:

Waiting for the first Moderator fight on what profile pic to use ;)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews