News from the Gutter ...

15678911»

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson said:
    If there is a way to remove LEB from Google then we will see complaints of scams dropping by 50 percent at least. For many people (myself included years back), when upgrading from shared to VPS, we often use Google and guess who comes out top?

Only when shit hits the fan you Google somemore and you will find other places that are more reliable sources.

I haven't figured out a solution to the Google problem but I am taking a stab making a reliable LEB alternative and hopefully it will go up Google rankings fast enough to at least let new LE hosting entrants see it.

That is one way of handling it. Typically there is a 3 months catch up for Search engines to start outranking the incumbent results. Add to that a list of keywords using the keyword (we typically use SEO tools/ keyword tracker tools for podcasts). A series of posts/ content with those, and a (recommended) 4 or 5,000 word long "epic Post" with enough cross and back links should do the trick in the interim.

The above requires time and some creative thinking, but the question is what effect does it have on CC/Deluxe? Top down would work better in my opinion - reaching out to management- some may be in cahoots, we just need on champion with a better conscience.

• poissonpoisson OG
    edited December 2019

@vyas said:

@poisson said:
    If there is a way to remove LEB from Google then we will see complaints of scams dropping by 50 percent at least. For many people (myself included years back), when upgrading from shared to VPS, we often use Google and guess who comes out top?

Only when shit hits the fan you Google somemore and you will find other places that are more reliable sources.

I haven't figured out a solution to the Google problem but I am taking a stab making a reliable LEB alternative and hopefully it will go up Google rankings fast enough to at least let new LE hosting entrants see it.

That is one way of handling it. Typically there is a 3 months catch up for Search engines to start outranking the incumbent results. Add to that a list of keywords using the keyword (we typically use SEO tools/ keyword tracker tools for podcasts). A series of posts/ content with those, and a (recommended) 4 or 5,000 word long "epic Post" with enough cross and back links should do the trick in the interim.

The above requires time and some creative thinking, but the question is what effect does it have on CC/Deluxe? Top down would work better in my opinion - reaching out to management- some may be in cahoots, we just need on champion with a better conscience.

Well, I am playing the long game because that's the only way to reduce the number of people falling prey in the long run as it is impossible to shut down LEB and get it off search engines.

In the interim, reaching out to management is a good strategy, e.g. sending them links to LET to read about the notorious history of CC (@teamacc has some great smoking guns), all the big digital media coverage links of the 20-plus deadpooling hosts, plus a selection of links on LET showing Deluxe bashing due to association with CC, all of which will definitely set alarm bells going off in their PR department (I am a very seasoned operator in terms of PR and I know exactly how to mess with the PR department at Deluxe).

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson - long is indeed the name of the game here - that's the one sure thing as far as I can tell.

And as much as we can encourage and facilitate people to do something along the same lines as what you've done with LEBRE - that could be exponentially helpful in the long run.

Most important will be for LES to just keep building quality content and community - which seems a lot like growing a garden, it's going to take as long as it takes. But I think we know to expect good things when we give a few seeds a year (and more) plenty of room to grow.

As for LEB and CC - I'm just going to continue to enjoy the popcorn as much as I can - preferably from a safe distance :smiley:

Thanked by (1)mikho

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• @poisson said: Only when shit hits the fan you Google somemore and you will find other places that are more reliable sources.

People are different, and we all learn differently. Anyone that's been around long enough can remember my first thread where I asked something silly that had to do with using the sudo command. The ugly fact of the matter is that people are willingly subjecting themselves to being scammed.

As a consumer, you don't buy the first thing you see because it sounds good. You get bit once, move on to more trusted providers that have reviews dating back years not days.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • uptimeuptime OG
    edited December 2019

in the grand scheme of things the LEB scams are penny-ante bullshit - while I don't blame the people getting ripped off by willfully fraudulent misrepresentation (in the guise of a slick marketing scheme) ... I feel like it's more generally just another installment of cheap tuition in the school of hard knocks.

I guess I was just lucky to have dodged a few LEB bullets even before I knew to be wary of all the poop in that punchbowl. Fortunately for anyone willing to do the slightest amount of due diligence, there is a decent amount of easily discoverable cautionary info out there (currently mostly on LET, ironically enough) ...

For me, the piquant sense of discomfort with the cc machinations and personalities was echoed and amplified to the point of distortion just from feeling so annoyed by that constant shadow of corruption lurking over LET. Getting out of that headspace for a while now to enjoy the smell of some fresh air ... feels good enough to inspire a strong urge to just keep moving away from that mess - as much as I'm also alternatively inclined to watch a trainwreck unfolding in slow motion. (Somewhere between a tempest in a teapot and a dumpster fire in a trailerpark, ammirite?)

It will be interesting to see what happens with the cc LEB shitpool operation over the next year or two - I have no idea what to expect but pretty sure it's going to be generating at least a few more fits of lulz and tears before it's all said and done with. I would like to think the worm has turned for that whole smarmy deal, but still - there will always be scams and summerhosts and mid-market evilcorps litering the lowend landscape.

Bottom line for me is, however quickly the stench of cc bs does or does not dissipate and hopefully, mercifully, eventually fade from our collective awareness - the more positive thing we can count on doing over time is having good content here and elsewhere own the search results for "lowend" and "cheap vps" (etc.)

I'm pretty sure that's going to be more and more evident over the next year and beyond - I expect that I might enjoy trying to be a small part of making that happen. So that's also what I'm hearing when I'm reading what @poisson has been writing - looking forward to seeing a lot more in 2020 :)

• level6level6 OG
    edited December 2019

@AnthonySmith said: colocrossing+deluxe

Deluxe, owner of Colocrossing, is a public corporation.
    Deluxe Corporation
    NYSE: DLX

Years ago when I used paper checks I used Deluxe. If I ever used paper checks again, I'd look elsewhere!

• Lulz

Thanked by (2)uptime vpsgeek
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Happens to the best of us.

Did anything ever come of the huge amount of colocrossing hosts that deadpooled in a week then?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Did anything ever come of the huge amount of colocrossing hosts that deadpooled in a week then?

lost in time, like tears in rain

Thanked by (3)ouvoun vpsgeek angstrom

@uptime said: lost in time, like tears in rain

So a proven successful business model then.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@uptime said: lost in time, like tears in rain

So a proven successful business model then.

CC is really starting to feel being under Deluxe's thumb, and so are their cleints.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited January 2020

Poor Colocrossing - so close to Buffalo, so far from the sacred finger of Amitz ...

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

• If any host gets featured at LEB for me they are not a legit & honest host. Having a direct connection with CC or not does not matter

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• saibalsaibal OG
    edited March 2020

Thanked by (1)uptime

@saibal said:

CLUSTER!

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited November 2020

Since BF is coming, my retarded mind had an idea to collect all offers and on the other end do some DATA MINING.

Matplotlib is a pile of shit however.

Sorting is for pussies.

If you have any suggestione, the repo is on Githubs
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers/blob/main/src/deadpool.json
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers/blob/main/src/colocrossing.json

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Neoon said: If you have any suggestione, the repo is on Githubs

Are these all offers/deals or just blog posts in general? Not sure if they're tagged correctly, but would be good to sort out the general/technical blog posts from the offer posts.

Goddamn Crystal Chris Frank mucking things up.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited November 2020

@Mason said:

@Neoon said: If you have any suggestione, the repo is on Githubs

Are these all offers/deals or just blog posts in general? Not sure if they're tagged correctly, but would be good to sort out the general/technical blog posts from the offer posts.

Goddamn Crystal Chris Frank mucking things up.

Lowendbox is everything, it shows that the scam posts mostly are offers so, should not make a big impact anyway.
    Since the content is available of every post except one, which the cluster destroyed, stuff can be adjusted.

"Destroyed"
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/uk-xen-leb-exclusive-offer/

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Neoon said:

Since BF is coming, my retarded mind had an idea to collect all offers and on the other end do some DATA MINING.

Matplotlib is a pile of shit however.

Sorting is for pussies.

If you have any suggestione, the repo is on Githubs
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers/blob/main/src/deadpool.json
    https://github.com/Ne00n/Offers/blob/main/src/colocrossing.json

I’m in that list. Long time ago, ancient history.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg