Any Chromebook Users here?

2»

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2021

Yeah, I tried cutting ur after"....supported/" but then it wouldn't work anymore. So I left it the way it was. I blame amp.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited August 2021

%Ympker

I also tried cutting after "supported/" and got an error with https://chromeunboxed-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/chromeunboxed.com/what-happens-when-a-chrome-os-device-is-no-longer-supported/

However, my second try, "put 'https://' in front of the part beginning with 'chromeunboxed'" to get https://chromeunboxed.com/what-happens-when-a-chrome-os-device-is-no-longer-supported/ seems to work here.

I hadn't heard about LaCros until I saw LaCros mentioned in the article to which you linked.

My old Chromebook will reach EOL in December. :(

Thank you @Ympker! :)

¡Saludos! 🚵

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Very very nearly bought one - needed something light when travelling.

Ended up buying a 2nd hand old zenbook instead. Like 2 generations behind old. Dented case...battery dead.

...reason being all the cheap chromebooks at the time were 720p with 2-4gb while the old zenbook is 3200 x 1800 and 8gb. For coding high res is pretty neat.

...next laptop I buy will probably be ARM based though

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:
    Very very nearly bought one - needed something light when travelling.

Ended up buying a 2nd hand old zenbook instead. Like 2 generations behind old. Dented case...battery dead.

...reason being all the cheap chromebooks at the time were 720p with 2-4gb while the old zenbook is 3200 x 1800 and 8gb. For coding high res is pretty neat.

...next laptop I buy will probably be ARM based though

Damn, you were so close haha :D Next time :)

@Ympker said: Damn, you were so close haha :D Next time

Yeah. To be fair I think I probably spent a bit more than the 720p chromes...so not 1:1 (Amazon warehouse sent me a laptop with a dead battery...opted to just buy a battery instead of returning it because it seemed fine otherwise & I hate returning stuff).

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited September 2021

Finally pulled the trigger on a Chromebook @havoc :)
    Got the Acer CB315 on sale (it has been a bit cheaper in the past, but this is still fine).
    Acer Chromebook 15 inch (CB315-3HT-C47Q) (ChromeOS, laptop, FHD touch display, battery life: up to 12.5 hours, 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM / 64 GB eMMC, 1.63 kg light, 20.3 mm thin ).

My dad also has the CB315, so I have been able to give it enough of a test-ride by now.

@Ympker said:
    Got the Acer CB315 on sale (it has been a bit cheaper in the past, but this is still fine).
    Acer Chromebook 15 inch (CB315-3HT-C47Q) (ChromeOS, laptop, FHD touch display, battery life: up to 12.5 hours, 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM / 64 GB eMMC, 1.63 kg light, 20.3 mm thin ).

My dad also has the CB315, so I have been able to give it enough of a test-ride by now.

Looks like a good price

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:

@Ympker said:

Looks like a good price

Yeah :) The same one with 8GB RAM was on sale for about the same price but with french keyboard layout. A shame, if it was QWERTZ I would have bought that one instead.

Congrats @Ympker! Hope you enjoy! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Not_Oles said:
    Congrats @Ympker! Hope you enjoy! :)

Thank you, mate! I am sure, I will :)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

thanks to this thread its piqued my interest in a chromebook as well :)

how's the performance? able to connect to dual monitors?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:

They are quick, although performance totally depends on the CPU. Obviously the Celeron ones are going to be slower than the Core i3/i5 ones.

edited September 2021

@usr123 said:

@cybertech said:

They are quick, although performance totally depends on the CPU. Obviously the Celeron ones are going to be slower than the Core i3/i5 ones.

yeah i was wondering hows CB315 that OP got going.

given my assets im able to pay via instalments for a CB314 :pensive:

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited September 2021

@cybertech said:

Performance is super swift (even with the Intel Celeron N4100), imho. It boots in 1-2 seconds and with Smartlock, I can unlock it with my phone via Bluetooth. I usually don't shut it down, but just shut the lid instead. When I open the lid again it is basically instantly ready to use. What's pretty cool is that it seems to lose close to no battery when the lid is closed and overall the 12-13h battery time seems to be pretty accurate. Today was the first time I charged it, after using it many hours (arrived on september 7th). It is super light-weigth and the Wifi is pretty fast due to AC and MU-MIMO (which my Fritzbox also supports). I measured up to 800 Mbit/s on the Chromebook next to the router with wifi. Router is in the basement, so at the ground level I still get 350 Mbit/s, on first floor 150 Mbit/s. Pretty impressed. There is no native HDMI port but I can just use my USB docking station (, I suppose,) to connect it with HDMI or LAN. I was hestiant to get the version with touch screen (without touchscreen would have been 188 EUR, with was 256 EUR) but thanks to @Not_Oles (?) advice I opted for a touch screen. Thing is, naturally, some apps are not optimized by developers for Chromebook and sometimes will sporadically not react to mouse clicks, whereas with touch screen it usually just works. Don't get me wrong, I don't use the touch screen 90% of the time, though. I have worked on WordPress sites and there has been no issues with slow performance in visual builder or similar. The sound is decent for the price I pay and I love the elgant & slick design approach ChromeOS trys to offer. I will probably install Chrome Remote Desktop next. One thing I recommend (also to my fellow Chromebook users like @Not_Oles ) is to enable the Trashbin. By default, Chromebook deletes any files outside of your Google Drive Folder (e.g. files in Downloads folder or on the local SD card) permanently with no option to CTRL+Z, or restore the deleted files. By going to chrome://flags and looking for "trash" you can change the setting from "Default" to "Enabled". This way, in the files browser, a trash bin will appear where files will be kept 30 days until deletion. Now, when I delete a file, there is also a short pop-up saying "Undo" to restore the deleted file (if by accident) immediately, or you just can do so from the trash folder. The other day I downloaded and moved photos from Google Photos to Amazon Photos and stored them temporarily on the chromebook. Needlessly to say, if I had deleted an image folder in error (e.g. by thinking I had already uplaoded that one) the images would be gone forever (if already deleted from trash in Google Photos). In general, I think a trashbin is definitely something I don't want to miss on my chromebook. Other than that, watching Flix/Prime or YouTube Videos in 1080p was quite a pleasant experience and due to the 15" screen and light-weigth design, the chromebook also invites to take with you and use in cafés etc. Yesterday, I did some work in the hammock in our garden lol. Next thing will be to enable/try Linux Beta and see what I can install from there (VSCode etc). You can also connect your phone and receive text messages on the chromebook, share wifi from phone with chromebook and some more features of "Phone Hub".

So far: Definitely recommended! Also, given @cybertech looking at CB314: I wanted to get that one, originally (a bit smaller and even less weigth), but it turned out it was 298 EUR (so more expensive haha). That being said you can find the CB315 on Amazon Warehouse from 120-140 EUR quite often. I saw it on Mydealz a lot. Oh, and I do love that it comes without a fan, so it is always quiet :)

Thanked by (2)cybertech Not_Oles

@Ympker said:

@cybertech said:

Performance is super swift (even with the Intel Celeron N4100), imho. It boots in 1-2 seconds and with Smartlock, I can unlock it with my phone via Bluetooth. I usually don't shut it down, but just shut the lid instead. When I open the lid again it is basically instantly ready to use. What's pretty cool is that it seems to lose close to no battery when the lid is closed and overall the 12-13h battery time seems to be pretty accurate. Today was the first time I charged it, after using it many hours (arrived on september 7th). It is super light-weigth and the Wifi is pretty fast due to AC and MU-MIMO (which my Fritzbox also supports). I measured up to 800 Mbit/s on the Chromebook next to the router with wifi. Router is in the basement, so at the ground level I still get 350 Mbit/s, on first floor 150 Mbit/s. Pretty impressed. There is no native HDMI port but I can just use my USB docking station (, I suppose,) to connect it with HDMI or LAN. I was hestiant to get the version with touch screen (without touchscreen would have been 188 EUR, with was 256 EUR) but thanks to @Not_Oles (?) advice I opted for a touch screen. Thing is, naturally, some apps are not optimized by developers for Chromebook and sometimes will sporadically not react to mouse clicks, whereas with touch screen it usually just works. Don't get me wrong, I don't use the touch screen 90% of the time, though. I have worked on WordPress sites and there has been no issues with slow performance in visual builder or similar. The sound is decent for the price I pay and I love the elgant & slick design approach ChromeOS trys to offer. I will probably install Chrome Remote Desktop next. One thing I recommend (also to my fellow Chromebook users like @Not_Oles ) is to enable the Trashbin. By default, Chromebook deletes any files outside of your Google Drive Folder (e.g. files in Downloads folder or on the local SD card) permanently with no option to CTRL+Z, or restore the deleted files. By going to chrome://flags and looking for "trash" you can change the setting from "Default" to "Enabled". This way, in the files browser, a trash bin will appear where files will be kept 30 days until deletion. Now, when I delete a file, there is also a short pop-up saying "Undo" to restore the deleted file (if by accident) immediately, or you just can do so from the trash folder. The other day I downloaded and moved photos from Google Photos to Amazon Photos and stored them temporarily on the chromebook. Needlessly to say, if I had deleted an image folder in error (e.g. by thinking I had already uplaoded that one) the images would be gone forever (if already deleted from trash in Google Photos). In general, I think a trashbin is definitely something I don't want to miss on my chromebook. Other than that, watching Flix/Prime or YouTube Videos in 1080p was quite a pleasant experience and due to the 15" screen and light-weigth design, the chromebook also invites to take with you and use in cafés etc. Yesterday, I did some work in the hammock in our garden lol. Next thing will be to enable/try Linux Beta and see what I can install from there (VSCode etc). You can also connect your phone and receive text messages on the chromebook, share wifi from phone with chromebook and some more features of "Phone Hub".

So far: Definitely recommended! Also, given @cybertech looking at CB314: I wanted to get that one, originally (a bit smaller and even less weigth), but it turned out it was 298 EUR (so more expensive haha). That being said you can find the CB315 on Amazon Warehouse from 120-140 EUR quite often. I saw it on Mydealz a lot.

im SOLD :o

Thanked by (3)Ympker ehab Not_Oles

edited September 2021

@cybertech Currently working with it in a café :) Also really nice that the display is not "shiny" but rather "dim"(?); I am trying to say it deals better with sun on the display than those "shiny" displays which reflect the sun a lot. Ofc, always better to use in shade, but in the hammock yesterday I had no trouble with a couple rays of suns on the display.

• VirMach and jsg find a new contender in @Ympker for the title of the best Wall of Texter! :)

Thanked by (3)Ympker Not_Oles vimalware

@Ympker said: One thing I recommend (also to my fellow Chromebook users like @Not_Oles ) is to enable the Trashbin. By default, Chromebook deletes any files outside of your Google Drive Folder (e.g. files in Downloads folder or on the local SD card) permanently with no option to CTRL+Z, or restore the deleted files. By going to chrome://flags and looking for "trash" you can change the setting from "Default" to "Enabled". This way, in the files browser, a trash bin will appear where files will be kept 30 days until deletion.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about the trashbin feature!

Another place where files get deleted is when enabling developer mode and when reverting from developer mode. It used to be, however, that files stored on /usr/local were persistent. Unsure whether that still is the case or not.

@cybertech said: im SOLD

If you do buy one, you might want to recheck the comments above about the full model number and differences in the viewing screen technology, resolution, and other features. Good luck! Best wishes! :)

Thanked by (2)cybertech Ympker

my wallet's still hashing for available dollars, but tentatively eyeing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0858N8CGX/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited September 2021

@cybertech the exact model is: CB315-3HT-C47Q
    . However, I believe, only the part CB315-3HT is relevant. Thing is, I have monitored the CB315-3HT on Amazon for a while and was always looking for the cheapest offer. There are many different CB315 offers out there, but as long as you get smth with CB315-3HT and (at least) N4100 (the "N400" is an error in the description of the Amazon link I posted) processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC you should probably get the same experience. Of course, make sure it somewhere mentions "Touch Display" in the description, if you want a touch display like my model has. The OS Update expiry from ChromeOS is June 2026 for ALL CB315-3HT variants anyway ( https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en#zippy=,acer ).

edited September 2021

@cybertech said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0858N8CGX/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

That one looks like a solid choice and was actually the 14" one I wanted to get originally (just with touch screen; the one you linked is without touch, I think) .
    The CPU (N4000) seems to be different but other than that looks fine. The ratings on Amazon for the CB314 are really good, too. So it will be just as good, I think :)

Thanked by (1)cybertech

@Ympker said:

@cybertech said:

That one looks like a solid choice and was actually the 14" one I wanted to get originally (just with touch screen; the one you linked is without touch, I think) .
    The CPU (N4000) seems to be different but other than that looks fine. The ratings on Amazon for the CB314 are really good, too. So it will be just as good, I think :)

now im hesitant as didnt realise before quite a performance difference between N4100 and N4000 :o will take a deeper look.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited September 2021

@cybertech said:

@Ympker said:

@cybertech said:

now im hesitant as didnt realise before quite a performance difference between N4100 and N4000 :o will take a deeper look.

I don't think it will matter much. And the CB314 still has great reviews. Plus you can return it 30 days with Amazon :)
    If anything, ChromeOS has shown me that specs are not everything. Never would I have imagined to have a laptop with an Intel Celeron Nxxxx again. It would have had to be an i5 or better at minimum. Very positively surprised :)

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • Thinking to grab one for toying ... But hey, I have a Thinkpad, a macbook and iPad already...
    What should I do with a chromebook :'(

Action and Reaction in history

edited September 2021

A little update: Happily enabled Linux Developer Environment on my Chromebook and running VSCode and MobaXTerm now ;)

Today, I set up Wine on my Acer Chromebook 315. In the beginning I was having some issues because libfaudio0 is not included in Debian Repos by default. I created this bash script to streamline the installation on a Chromebook running Debian 10 Buster as much as possible. There will only be a few yes/no prompts when running the script. The bash script follows the recommendations from WineHQ.
    Maybe this can be of help to someone ;)

https://github.com/NicolasLoew/vps/blob/master/cb_install_wine_buster.sh

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Ympker said:
    A little update: Happily enabled Linux Developer Environment on my Chromebook and running VSCode and MobaXTerm now ;)

Today, I set up Wine on my Acer Chromebook 315. In the beginning I was having some issues because libfaudio0 is not included in Debian Repos by default. I created this bash script to streamline the installation on a Chromebook running Debian 10 Buster as much as possible. There will only be a few yes/no prompts when running the script. The bash script follows the recommendations from WineHQ.

Hi @Ympker!

Could you mean that your Chromebook's Debian 10 container is running Windows binaries of VSCode and MobaXTerm under Wine?

I don't know about MobaXTerm, but it seems VSCode might run as a Linux binary inside a Chromebook's Debian 10 container.

If you are using Windows binary VSCode under Wine, what advantages does that give you over the Linux binary?

Best wishes from Mexico! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited September 2021

@Not_Oles said:

@Ympker said:

Hi @Ympker!

Could you mean that your Chromebook's Debian 10 container is running Windows binaries of VSCode and MobaXTerm under Wine?

I don't know about MobaXTerm, but it seems VSCode might run as a Linux binary inside a Chromebook's Debian 10 container.

If you are using Windows binary VSCode under Wine, what advantages does that give you over the Linux binary?

Best wishes from Mexico! :)

Hey there, mate :) To clarify: For VSCode, I use the official .deb Linux binary package, so I am not using Wine along with the Windows exe.
    For MobaXterm, I use Wine, since they don't natively offer a Linux install. I use the portable version from MobaxtermMobaxterm.

All the best!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Ympker said: Hey there, mate To clarify: For VSCode, I use the official .deb Linux binary package, so I am not using Wine along with the Windows exe.

For MobaXterm, I use Wine, since they don't natively offer a Linux install. I use the portable version from Mobaxterm

Seems I ought to try this! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited September 2021

@Not_Oles said:

@Ympker said: Hey there, mate To clarify: For VSCode, I use the official .deb Linux binary package, so I am not using Wine along with the Windows exe.

For MobaXterm, I use Wine, since they don't natively offer a Linux install. I use the portable version from Mobaxterm

Are you running a Chromebook on amd64 and Debian 10 Buster? If yes, perhaps the script I wrote (based on winehq wiki) can make setting up wine a bit easier (at least for me it wasn't just "apt-get install wine" to get wine running):

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Ympker said:

@Not_Oles said:

Are you running a Chromebook on amd64 and Debian 10 Buster? If yes, perhaps the script I wrote (based on winehq wiki) can make setting up wine a bit easier (at least for me it wasn't just "apt-get install wine" to get wine running):

From my Chromebook:

Thanks for your script! It looks great! I see it has attracted some stars! I thought to add another, and I will, when I have a chance actually to run the script. Best wishes from Mexico! :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker