AIO Thread about WordPress Backup&Migration Plugins

2»

Comments

• Better get used to some manual editing. I mean, it used to be far worse.

Sure, if it's shared hosting, you may not be able to keep the same database name and you need to edit wp config file via FTP or something, but in web hosting environment, those experience help rather than harm.

It's those one-click install, one-click backup/restore that will harm users because it will make them clueless when something goes a bit wrong.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@deank said:
    Better get used to some manual editing. I mean, it used to be far worse.

Sure, if it's shared hosting, you may not be able to keep the same database name and you need to edit wp config file via FTP or something, but in web hosting environment, those experience help rather than harm.

It's those one-click install, one-click backup/restore that will harm users because it will make them clueless when something goes a bit wrong.

I completely agree with you - and felt as if it would be out of my control if I weren't able to do a manual migration, and manual cloning.

Only after having perfected that was I happy to use the on-click stuff - because it saves time. But it's still important for me to know how to do it manually in case any of those "plugins" fail (for whatever reason).

The point of my reply was just to say that manual isn't always more convenient, or faster, even with SSH (at least in my experience).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

@deank said:
    As mentioned, do it manually.

Tarball the entire folder while preserving permissions. Do a dump on mysql database.

Restore both on a new node, and done.

I can see the purpose of backup/restore plugin on shared hosting with no SSH access but, on VPS, manual method is just better.

Why is that? That is effectively what these backup plugins do, except you have less work.

• If you are familiar with inner workings of a server, using a tool to save time is fine.

But, if you are clueless to begin with, it's always better to do the dirty work because such dirty work teaches you the basics.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.