Hetzner Storage Box speeds

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG
edited January 29 in Technical

Monkey finally got what can be considered a really fast Internet connection (300+ Mb/s download, and 70+ Mb/s upload).

Before, when uploading and downloading stuff from Hetzner Storage Box, the speed was limited by my connection speed.

I'm uzing FileZilla Pro for downloads. Uploads are usually done by the hosting servers when they run off-site backups. But I wanted to test how fast it goes to and from my computer. Trying to download compressed backups, and upload some. I tested download and upload "separately" - i.e. first downloading, then uploading. Using a normal FTP connection.

It seems that upload speed is limited by my connection speed (about 64 Mb/s). But the download speed was stuck at about 32 Mb/s - far below any other bottlenecks I have (my local storage, connection etc.).

Is this normal, or could the problem be on my end (and/or between my keyboard and the computer :) )?

This is my long-winded drivel on how I set up and use the storage (passwords and usernames shown aren't real, just examples):
https://io.bikegremlin.com/20986/hetzner-storage-box-explained/

BikeGremlin I/O
Mostly WordPress ™

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

  • FTP is generally slow, so I think you won't get much higher. quite a while back I tried different protocols from within hetzner network, but seem to cannot find the results anymore... if I remember correctly al other protocols are faster, you can activate those in the controlpanel, but keep in mind that some are not encrypted and usually not the best choice if connecting from home directly.

    Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vimalware
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @Falzo said:
    FTP is generally slow, so I think you won't get much higher. quite a while back I tried different protocols from within hetzner network, but seem to cannot find the results anymore... if I remember correctly al other protocols are faster, you can activate those in the controlpanel, but keep in mind that some are not encrypted and usually not the best choice if connecting from home directly.

    For all I could tell, SSH gives similar results.
    Haven't tried any other methods for moving the files to and from my home PC.

    It's not a problem, not draggingly slow, gets the job done, just wanted to check if there is something I could do to make it faster (while remaining safe and convenient to use). :)

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • @bikegremlin said:

    @Falzo said:
    FTP is generally slow, so I think you won't get much higher. quite a while back I tried different protocols from within hetzner network, but seem to cannot find the results anymore... if I remember correctly al other protocols are faster, you can activate those in the controlpanel, but keep in mind that some are not encrypted and usually not the best choice if connecting from home directly.

    For all I could tell, SSH gives similar results.
    Haven't tried any other methods for moving the files to and from my home PC.

    It's not a problem, not draggingly slow, gets the job done, just wanted to check if there is something I could do to make it faster (while remaining safe and convenient to use). :)

    you could try and get a cloud server at hetzner to run some tests and compare the speeds. as it's hourly billed gonna be only a few cents. of course also check speeds between home and that cloud server.
    maybe depending on those results as a third step also try then running a tunnel from home to that server and pull data from the storage box through it to see if that gives different results 🤷🏻‍♂️

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @Falzo said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Falzo said:
    FTP is generally slow, so I think you won't get much higher. quite a while back I tried different protocols from within hetzner network, but seem to cannot find the results anymore... if I remember correctly al other protocols are faster, you can activate those in the controlpanel, but keep in mind that some are not encrypted and usually not the best choice if connecting from home directly.

    For all I could tell, SSH gives similar results.
    Haven't tried any other methods for moving the files to and from my home PC.

    It's not a problem, not draggingly slow, gets the job done, just wanted to check if there is something I could do to make it faster (while remaining safe and convenient to use). :)

    you could try and get a cloud server at hetzner to run some tests and compare the speeds. as it's hourly billed gonna be only a few cents. of course also check speeds between home and that cloud server.
    maybe depending on those results as a third step also try then running a tunnel from home to that server and pull data from the storage box through it to see if that gives different results 🤷🏻‍♂️

    From what I could tell, without exact measuring, server backups get uploaded very, very fastly. :)
    That's what I use 99.99 % of the time.

    Weekly, I download the backups from Hetzner to my local HDD storage - but that can be done overnight, and even at these speeds it doesn't take nearly that long.

    Still, every once in a while, I need to upload something manually, or download something that I need to work on right away. If doing that a bit faster takes a separate server, it's not worth it - not nearly as critical. If it's something simpler (another FTP client, or some local setup) - I'd give that a try.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • When I used storagebox a while back, I was able to get around 50MB/s to my Hetzner dedi. I remember worrying that Chia farming on Storagebox might slow Storagebox down. I think Chia is now pretty dead, so idk what effect if any there has been on Storagebox. Storagebox (unless you use the nextcloud product) doesn't seem that cost effective any more, even at the largest sizes, regardless of the speed.

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @willie said:
    When I used storagebox a while back, I was able to get around 50MB/s to my Hetzner dedi. I remember worrying that Chia farming on Storagebox might slow Storagebox down. I think Chia is now pretty dead, so idk what effect if any there has been on Storagebox. Storagebox (unless you use the nextcloud product) doesn't seem that cost effective any more, even at the largest sizes, regardless of the speed.

    Do you have a better recommendation?

    For automated storage of DirectAdmin hosting accounts, JetBackup doesn't seem to work well with Backblaze B2 for example, so I switched to Storage Box and that works fine - and it is a lot faster for any downloads and uploads from my computer.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

    I can currently send zip files to my dedicated Hetzner at 80mb/s from a home gigabit connection from Brazil

    https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

    @bikegremlin - I checked with one of our technicians who works on the Storage Boxes. He said that they could try to look into this if you write a support request via Robot. Try to give them as much info as possible. Thanks in advance! --Katie

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @Hetzner_OL said:
    @bikegremlin - I checked with one of our technicians who works on the Storage Boxes. He said that they could try to look into this if you write a support request via Robot. Try to give them as much info as possible. Thanks in advance! --Katie

    Hi Katie,

    Thanks for looking into this.

    As far as I'm concerned Hetzner Box storage is very good. Upload speed from servers (when doing backups) seems super fast, and that's what's most important IMO.

    Just wanted to confirm I'm not doing anything wrong.

    Having said that, if there is a way to make it faster, I'd be happy to give it a go (and write an idiot-friendly tutorial on that :) ).

    Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • @bikegremlin said: Do you have a better recommendation?

    Storagebox works nicely for my purposes, it's just on the expensive side, especially in the smaller sizes. If you want a lot of space, consider an SX series dedi. If you want less space and it's for cold backups and you don't mind it being in Quebec, Servarica still has some VPS plans in the $2/TB/month range. Unfortunately with electricity prices jumping, there probably won't be super cheap auction dedis again any time soon. @Hetzner_OL maybe it's time to bring back low powered dedis like those ARM ones that were tried for a while, or whatever the low powered Intel stuff (formerly Atom) is called now.

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @willie said:

    @bikegremlin said: Do you have a better recommendation?

    Storagebox works nicely for my purposes, it's just on the expensive side, especially in the smaller sizes. If you want a lot of space, consider an SX series dedi. If you want less space and it's for cold backups and you don't mind it being in Quebec, Servarica still has some VPS plans in the $2/TB/month range. Unfortunately with electricity prices jumping, there probably won't be super cheap auction dedis again any time soon. @Hetzner_OL maybe it's time to bring back low powered dedis like those ARM ones that were tried for a while, or whatever the low powered Intel stuff (formerly Atom) is called now.

    Colour me stupid/conservative (and correct me if I'm wrong), but I prefer having someone more competent taking care of the security and similar, while I can just use the storage.

    Unmanaged VPS or a dedi can be cheaper in terms of money, but in terms of time and worry, I'm not so sure.

    Another thing I like about the Storage Boxes is I can easily make them run with reseller hosting accounts - Amazon and Backblaze B2 don't play with DirectAdmin shared/reseller hosting all too well (I have tried). Plus the speed - for moving the stuff from and to my computer, Hetzner seems faster (even with this speed). Having said that, I'll do a re-test of Backblaze B2 (using FileZilla Pro that makes it convenient) with the upgraded Internet connection.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

    @bikegremlin said:
    Just wanted to confirm I'm not doing anything wrong.

    I imagine that trouble shooting stuff like this is a bit like doing detective work. Maybe there is something that our team can suggest that you haven't thought of checking on yet. Or maybe you've done everything "right" but they'll be just as stumped as you. But it's worth a try, right..? -Katie

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

  • @bikegremlin said: Colour me stupid/conservative (and correct me if I'm wrong), but I prefer having someone more competent taking care of the security and similar, while I can just use the storage.

    This! I used to run my own mailserver (for family and friends too), my own webserver (for family and friends too) and my own storage servers for backups.

    Now using a combination of Google, MXRoute, Hostmantis, ALL-INKL, TransIP Stackstorage and Hetzner Storage Box for those. Costs a bit more, but that's just when I don't account for the time I put into managing those servers.

    On-topic though: I can easily max out my home connection (500/500) to Hetzner Storage. However, my ISP does peer directly with them in Frankfurt.

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • What protocol do you need (if unsure, alternatively, can your upload servers run rclone.. not sure if this is a good combination with JetBackup as I've never used the latter), and how much space are we talking about?
    https://www.ionos.com/office-solutions/hidrive-cloud-storage
    This might be a cheaper option for up to 1TB if WebDAV is acceptable - first year for a dollar a month, then 7 dollars a month
    (from 2TB onwards, Hetzner storage is cheaper; same if you need other protocols such as FTP or rsync)

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @chimichurri said:
    What protocol do you need (if unsure, alternatively, can your upload servers run rclone.. not sure if this is a good combination with JetBackup as I've never used the latter), and how much space are we talking about?
    https://www.ionos.com/office-solutions/hidrive-cloud-storage
    This might be a cheaper option for up to 1TB if WebDAV is acceptable - first year for a dollar a month, then 7 dollars a month
    (from 2TB onwards, Hetzner storage is cheaper; same if you need other protocols such as FTP or rsync)

    JetBackup doesn't seem to play very well with DirectAdmin (couldn't get it to work for off-site storage with a reseller hosting account).

    So I use (S)FTP, and find it to be quite convenient (prefer it to any web-browser interface).

    Feedback from Hetzner is that Storage Box instances are connected with 10Gbits and that I could expect to get about 300-500Mbits, except when the traffic is heavy. I.e. to try at different times, and if I don't get any better results, to get back to them to look into it further. Makes sense.

    Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • JetBackup seems to be working fine in my DA reseller account ... :)

Sign In or Register to comment.