[2022] ★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ The Epic Sales Offer Thread ★★

Comments

• @Jab said: Tanks!

@skorous Jab is Irish? :D

Thanked by (1)skorous

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited October 2022

@Jab said:

@VirMach said: It got fixed too well.

I mean I can pinpoint the time you applied the fix!

If this is working too well - no idea, I don't (yet, Sunday night attempt number 4[1]) run shit there so I can only get those ping reports ;')

[1] last time my MySQL replication did some crazy things and started running 200MB/s...

Basically when I did the initial math for 2x E5-2660v2 to Ryzen, it showed me that we were going to be basically at almost no CPU usage at all so it falls in line with those initial hypothetical results. When we actually did it, that wasn't the case. And it's very possible this SolusVM issue could have caused the discrepancy for particular hardware. (edit) Luckily it still worked out because Ryzen is just that powerful compared to 10 year old Intel, but this could mean way way way better.

The graph you're looking at is smoothed out and delayed to the point where it's useless in representing this case. You might see it in a few hours. Let me share ours.

• edited October 2022

^ oooh, pointy. (Said in a Homer Simpson voice.)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:
    @YanJony - I suggest you migrate to Los Angeles if fast network speed it important to you.
    This is my speed tests and ping time results for the past week from SJCZ008. Not great, but it is more or less consistently 80 Mb/s up & down which is reasonable for most uses.

This is the same time period for my VM on LAXA009 in Los Angeles which is consistently over 500 Mb/s up & down.

Definitely an issue there but also not unusable. Already reported to DC.

I don't think an upload speed of 16MBps is normal, and I know you're busy right now, so I'm patiently waiting for a fix.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: IdeaTek Telcom - Hutchinson, KS (id: 20794)
         ISP: 

Idle Latency: 37.89 ms (jitter: 1.38ms, low: 36.26ms, high: 39.13ms)
    Download: 181.60 Mbps (data used: 110.0 MB)
    318.99 ms (jitter: 67.10ms, low: 36.69ms, high: 622.17ms)
    Upload: 16.45 Mbps (data used: 27.2 MB)
    58.10 ms (jitter: 11.11ms, low: 37.45ms, high: 240.39ms)
    Packet Loss: 0.0%
    Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/c88e81bf-fe43-4f88-b573-36de910e8099

Please stop testing to Kansas, it has nothing to do with the issue that's there and that issue exists, but perhaps actually pick a server in San Jose instead of relying on their terrible geolocation partner Maxmind. They're too cheap to use good geolocation, I get it, but it doesn't mean you should only test to default server they pick.

(edit) Actually based on your test of 180Mbps to Kansas it seems like they might have finally fixed it.

I have tested the server by testing other nodes and the result is the same, does this mean that it is not fixed yet?

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 14.2 Mbits/sec | 152 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 17.4 Mbits/sec | 244 Mbits/sec
    Hybula | The Netherlands (40G) | 15.4 Mbits/sec | 39.4 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 12.9 Mbits/sec | 107 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 14.4 Mbits/sec | 245 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 16.3 Mbits/sec | 290 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 16.8 Mbits/sec | 217 Mbits/sec

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:
    @YanJony - I suggest you migrate to Los Angeles if fast network speed it important to you.
    This is my speed tests and ping time results for the past week from SJCZ008. Not great, but it is more or less consistently 80 Mb/s up & down which is reasonable for most uses.

This is the same time period for my VM on LAXA009 in Los Angeles which is consistently over 500 Mb/s up & down.

I don't think an upload speed of 16MBps is normal, and I know you're busy right now, so I'm patiently waiting for a fix.

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/c88e81bf-fe43-4f88-b573-36de910e8099

Please stop testing to Kansas, it has nothing to do with the issue that's there and that issue exists, but perhaps actually pick a server in San Jose instead of relying on their terrible geolocation partner Maxmind. They're too cheap to use good geolocation, I get it, but it doesn't mean you should only test to default server they pick.

(edit) Actually based on your test of 180Mbps to Kansas it seems like they might have finally fixed it.

I have tested the server by testing other nodes and the result is the same, does this mean that it is not fixed yet?

| | |

What specific node again?

• @VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

| | |

My VPS node is SJCZ010, should I wait for the fix or try to migrate via redeploy?

edited October 2022

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

| | |

My VPS node is SJCZ010, should I wait for the fix or try to migrate via redeploy?

This node is also missing patch since it was offline when it was applied, I'm applying it now. Check again in a few minutes. It's not directly related to the network it's something else.

(edit) part of it didn't work, may require reboot. Looking into it some more.

• @VirMach said:

@fluttershy said:

@VirMach said:
    I have no idea what INAP is doing (or rather why) but I'm sure whatever they're doing has the end goal of making sure their shareholders and executives get paid.

Genuinely heartbreaking to see one of my favorite US networking companies die this way. Good news is that there's other options that are almost as good.

Same for me. I've actually "known" about that for a very long time, since I was like 8 or 9 years old maybe. It's weird because it was like a "brand name" to me that I forgot about for the longest time until around maybe 2018 or 2019 when I went "INAP hmm sounds familiar they're some old internet company I remember"

I remember hosting all my game servers with Internap back when I had the time for games, a lot of game communities still use them now. Really unfortunate what's been happening to them lately. They have an amazing network but they have no idea how to monetize it.

• @VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

| | |

This node is also missing patch since it was offline when it was applied, I'm applying it now. Check again in a few minutes. It's not directly related to the network it's something else.

I restarted the VPS and re-tested it and it is still the same as before.

| | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 15.1 Mbits/sec | 103 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | busy | 252 Mbits/sec
    Hybula | The Netherlands (40G) | 17.1 Mbits/sec | 20.5 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 15.9 Mbits/sec | 69.9 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 16.2 Mbits/sec | 162 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 14.7 Mbits/sec | 239 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 16.1 Mbits/sec | 243 Mbits/sec

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

| | |

| | |

Yeah just use the button. I still haven't heard back from them and it seems like it might actually be network related still since they had the issue with the switch.

• @VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@YanJony said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Speedtest by Ookla

ISP: 

| | |

| | |

Yeah just use the button. I still haven't heard back from them and it seems like it might actually be network related still since they had the issue with the switch.

Okay, I will wait patiently for the processing, please inform me when there are results, or I will check back after a while.

• @VirMach said:
    (edit) Oh god wait Las Vegas is Flex isn't it

eyes my vm that started the migration in dallas, then escaped to la on the doomed lax014 node then settled in PHX I think i found our bad luck charm....

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint FrankZ
  • @VirMach said:
    By the way some industry news-ish that's relevant to our operation and people in Phoenix: official notice will be sent out later over the weekend once we have everything planned out, but it seems like INAP is shutting down their operation in Phoenix. I may have mentioned it earlier but have more information now, and it means we most likely have to migrate people to Las Vegas. Initially it was another DC in Phoenix but their deal fell through. Option is to get rid of Phoenix completely and move to LA, find a fifth partner that does Phoenix on short notice, or switch it over to Las Vegas and at least maintain another location around that area.

Argh, I just moved my NVMe2G for life to Phoenix.
    I selected this location because I haven't heard any drama about it in past few weeks.
    Now I have to move it again.

I shouldn't have trusted Phoenix.
    You know, college kids in that town spell USA backwards.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• imokimok OG
    edited October 2022

@VirMach said:

@imok said:

If you contact support, provide debug data:

Main IP pings: false
    Node Online: false
    Service online: online

This is weird. Node is offline but my VM is online =)

Network is offline though :(

The piece of apple pie have been in the fridge for more than a week. It should be good to eat it yet, right?

Troubleshooter is wrong. We basically have to update it every time we add nodes and haven't been doing that, and IPs have been flying all over the place for them. We'll do a final update soon.

Troubleshooter was wrong. Node and VM were online.

I realized I had to update the IP in /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml and my VPS is online again.

Fucking Ubuntu.

The fuck is wrong with the hr tag?

• @imok said: Fucking Ubuntu.

I use Arch btw.

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @imok said:
    Fucking Ubuntu.

I got stuck with 2 ubuntu servers at work from the previous guy, and constantly find myself saying this. I've got friends who swear by it for desktop use, but literally every other machine we have is RHEL, I have no idea why he went with Ubuntu here.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • @bakageta said:

@imok said:
    Fucking Ubuntu.

I got stuck with 2 ubuntu servers at work from the previous guy, and constantly find myself saying this. I've got friends who swear by it for desktop use, but literally every other machine we have is RHEL, I have no idea why he went with Ubuntu here.

Perhaps that's why he's the "previous guy" if you catch my drift.

• I've stayed away from Ubuntu for quite a while now. Debian (well and Proxmox but it's debian + vm stuff) is primarily what I use with a few very small vps using Alpine. My laptop runs EndeavourOS since it's cutting edge and I mostly use the laptop to see what will explode today, rarely actually out and about. The outside world is full of like sunshine and people and stuff, it's crazy.

• Wwaoo, long long long time I have not seen the network status clean like this. congratulations and thank you @VirMach

• @VirMach said:
    By the way some industry news-ish that's relevant to our operation and people in Phoenix: official notice will be sent out later over the weekend once we have everything planned out, but it seems like INAP is shutting down their operation in Phoenix. I may have mentioned it earlier but have more information now, and it means we most likely have to migrate people to Las Vegas. Initially it was another DC in Phoenix but their deal fell through. Option is to get rid of Phoenix completely and move to LA, find a fifth partner that does Phoenix on short notice, or switch it over to Las Vegas and at least maintain another location around that area.

(edit) Oh god wait Las Vegas is Flex isn't it

(edit2) Sorry if this is an unprofessional update and it seems like I have no idea what we're actually doing, it's because I just found out about most of this a few minutes ago hence the unofficial update.

oh, I have 4 servers there, take time again :/

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@skorous said: You're from Arizona initially?

Emigrated there 20 years ago, got paid off after 9 months, or so (that side of the business closed down). Got offered a position in Denver with same/sister company; said "Feck that! it snows most of the year there!". Returned to chilly Scotland.

I couldn't live someplace where a simple walk to the store could kill me from dehydration. Michigan winters can be annoying but i'll take them. ;-)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach Nice to see you here,need a Japan VPS,please have a look at Ticket ID: 191126.Thanks

• edited October 2022

@skorous said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@skorous said: You're from Arizona initially?

Emigrated there 20 years ago, got paid off after 9 months, or so (that side of the business closed down). Got offered a position in Denver with same/sister company; said "Feck that! it snows most of the year there!". Returned to chilly Scotland.

I couldn't live someplace where a simple walk to the store could kill me from dehydration. Michigan winters can be annoying but i'll take them. ;-)

I'm the complete opposite, if there are days the high never goes above freezing I don't have any interest living there. Now I live at the edge of a desert and barely have lows below freezing, the sand is annoying but I'll take it for only having to see snow once a decade.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • edited October 2022

@haynhat said:
    Wwaoo, long long long time I have not seen the network status clean like this. congratulations and thank you @VirMach

I feel this is inaccurate
    I wish my chicago was online,or move to Tokyo

• Processor  : AMD EPYC-Milan Processor
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 3693.062 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled

Hmm, does anyone remember what template I should install first to fix that? I flipped back a few pages but can't find it.

• @bakageta said:
    Hmm, does anyone remember what template I should install first to fix that? I flipped back a few pages but can't find it.

Almalinux I believe

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bakageta
  • @bakageta said:

Processor  : AMD EPYC-Milan Processor

AlmaLinux?

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bakageta
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2022

That is correct. Install AlmaLinux8 to enable VM-x/AMD-V and CPU pass-thru

Thanked by (1)bakageta

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited October 2022

Hmm, bummer, that was from alma. Reinstalled with deb 11 and same thing, I'll go try alma again this time from solus.

(edit)
    No change with alma from solus.

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 16 minutes
    RAM        : 3.6 GiB
    Swap       : 256.0 MiB
    Disk       : 78.5 GiB
    Distro     : AlmaLinux 8.3 (Purple Manul)
    Kernel     : 4.18.0-240.15.1.el8_3.x86_64

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@bakageta said:
    Hmm, bummer, that was from alma. Reinstalled with deb 11 and same thing, I'll go try alma again this time from solus.

(edit)
    No change with alma from solus.

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 16 minutes
    RAM        : 3.6 GiB
    Swap       : 256.0 MiB
    Disk       : 78.5 GiB
    Distro     : AlmaLinux 8.3 (Purple Manul)
    Kernel     : 4.18.0-240.15.1.el8_3.x86_64

Strange, what node is that on ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

This discussion has been closed.