[2022] ★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ The Epic Sales Offer Thread ★★

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said: Hivelocity - I recently discovered this is how they price IPv6:

With those IPv6 prices I expect you will not be getting many IPv6 from Hivelocity ?
    Will you be assigning /112 to VMs ?
    Or will you be getting and announcing your own IPv6 allotment ?
    Or will you be tunneling a free IPv6 /48 into Hivelocity Nodes ?
    Or will there be no IPv6 at Hivelocity locations ?
    Or do you have another plan ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited October 2022

@FrankZ said:

With those IPv6 prices I expect you will not be getting many IPv6 from Hivelocity ?

Current plan is to do what @yoursunny suggested (or maybe just encouraged and it was someone else's idea?) a while back with Psychz. Something involving driving a car into a building. For legal reasons, that's a joke, and what we'll probably instead do is figure out when the hell we can get our equipment out and then realistically pay them $7.50 per month for 3 x /64's and assign everyone a single IPv6 and then optionally charge $0.60 per month Hivelocity IPv6 depletion fee for a /68.

Maybe we can convince them to bump down the price of a /48 by $163,830 per month if they're generous or sane, then whatever, we can just pay them like a hundred bucks a year for nothing just to avoid having to get a /36 from ARIN for like $250 a year since that's the minimum amount they charge to manage one account.

But yeah once I stop losing it over this it just means we'll have to hand $250/yr to ARIN, whatever.

Thanked by (3)FrankZ skorous AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach said:
    I recently discovered this is how they price IPv6:

Wow. Do they sell bottles of air with that?

Thanked by (2)FrankZ imok
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2022

@VirMach said: But yeah once I stop losing it over this it just means we'll have to hand $250/yr to ARIN, whatever.

Get /36 IPv6 from ARIN for $250 /yr.
    Sell each /64 IPv6 for $1 /yr undercutting Hivelocity.
    256 Million a year profit !!

Seriously, Hivelocity can't be getting many takers at those IPv6 prices.
    I would not see any issue with issuing single IPv6, that would still be a big step up from CC.
    I even think that @yoursunny will understand.

The following conversation takes place between a venture capital accountant and the head network tech guy at Hivelocity ...

Account: We charge $2.50 a month for one IPv4 right ?

Tech: Yep, that is correct.

Account: Then why do we give IPv6 away for free?

Tech: IPv4 is scarce, and IPv6 is plentiful.

Accountant: If we stop giving them away for free people would stop thinking they were so plentiful. Start charging $2.50 per IPv6 just like we do for IPv4.

Tech: We can't do that because the minimum routing on IPv6 is a /64 which is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6.

Accountant: Holy crap, we have to give a minimum of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 Ipv6 per item charged!!

Tech: Yep.

Accountant: Ok charge $2.50 a month per 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 Ipv6. That is a hell of a deal, no one can complain about that.

Tech: But we give them away for free now.

Accountant: We need some ROI so you ether start charging $2.50/month for /64 IPv6 or I am getting me a network guy who will.

Tech: Got it. $2.50/month for /64 IPv6. I'll let all the customers know.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @VirMach said: I recently discovered this is how they price IPv6:

WTF.

Do they charge these ridiculous amounts for leasing IPv6 from them or for announcing them? So would BYOIP be an option?

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• I really hope this pricing is just for display so people won't order /48 when they need /64 and after contacting them it goes down to some sane levels...

I am prolly an idiot.

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• I find /112 or less annoying.
    /96 is good enough for me.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2022

Just a FYI @VirMach - My VM on MIAZ012 has stopped responding as of 14:48 EDT

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@FrankZ said: Just a FYI @VirMach - My VM on MIAZ012 has stopped responding as of 14:48 EDT

and it is back up.

• @FrankZ said: Just a FYI..

Hey! Stop sidetracking him from doing Transfers and freebies. :p :bleep_bloop:

Thanked by (1)someTom

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

edited October 2022

@FrankZ said:

Oct 17 11:48:03 MIAZ012 systemd-logind[1579]: Power key pressed.
    Oct 17 11:48:03 MIAZ012 systemd-logind[1579]: Powering Off...

Looks like we made the mistake of making a DC hands request to check on RU13 and in the process they pressed power key on RU12 (MIAZ012.) It came back up but didn't come back cleanly so it overloaded. (Since we have some VMs that are still incompatible, the thing from a long time ago where it tries to boot it up and hogs all the CPU happened.)

And of course they pretended like it didn't happen.

(And so did our monitoring system since it came back up essentially immediately.)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2022

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Looks like we made the mistake of making a DC hands request to check on RU13 and in the process they pressed power key on RU12 (MIAZ012.) It came back up but didn't come back cleanly so it overloaded. (Since we have some VMs that are still incompatible, the thing from a long time ago where it tries to boot it up and hogs all the CPU happened.)

Good to know that my monitoring looks pretty good. (that is if you are logging PDT above)
    Thank you for resolving the issue.

@AlwaysSkint said: Hey! Stop sidetracking him from doing Transfers and freebies. :p :bleep_bloop:

I was not distracting him as I made no ticket. :wink: You should know that I would do nothing to stand in the way of transfers and freebies.

@FrankZ said:

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Good to know that my monitoring looks pretty good. (that is if you are logging PDT above)
    Thank you for resolving the issue.

Once we set up the monitoring on a VM within the node it should catch things like this better since the VM would potentially run into issues and get marked as potentially offline whereas the host node won't since it has enough juice to respond to pings.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach said: Once we set up the monitoring on a VM within the node..

A cunning plan.

@VirMach said: (Since we have some VMs that are still incompatible, the thing from a long time ago where it tries to boot it up and hogs all the CPU happened.)

I don't even think this was it. Looks like two very old services on Windows just decided to do weird Windows things immediately after reboot and that was enough to screw things up while everything else was also trying to happen at the same time.

Windows be like alright someone rebooted me time to immediately read 140MB/s and write 40MB/s at 8KB for like an hour.

• Ban Windoze: sorted. :|

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said: Once we set up the monitoring on a VM within the node it should catch things like this better since the VM would potentially run into issues and get marked as potentially offline whereas the host node won't since it has enough juice to respond to pings.

I would expect that the VM with the monitoring should always be last to be restarted.

• I must be one of the "bad apples": test servers got terminated early. :'(
    TBH, I've been struggling to find time/energy to fully load them.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I must be one of the "bad apples": test servers got terminated early. :'(
    TBH, I've been struggling to find time/energy to fully load them.

me too me too

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• JabJab
    edited October 2022

Nothing early, 2 weeks has passed :D

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/100340/#Comment_100340

3rd of October + 14 days = 17th of October (totally ignoring timezones, still works)

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint skorous FrankZ

• Just order a new one ;')

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint FAT32

• edited October 2022

@Jab said:
    Nothing early, 2 weeks passed :D

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/100340/#Comment_100340

3rd of October + 14 days = 17th of October (totally ignoring timezones, still works)

I based it on Client Area, WHMCS "Next Due Date 11/03/2022" ;)
    Guys, it was good clickbait. :D

• @Jab said:

Just order a new one ;')

I get the "You must have an active product/service to use this code", although I have active services haha :#

• @mayiprint said: » 显示以前的报价

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

Current plan is to do what @yoursunny suggested (or maybe just encouraged and it was someone else's idea?) a while back with Psychz. Something involving driving a car into a building. For legal reasons, that's a joke, and what we'll probably instead do is figure out when the hell we can get our equipment out and then realistically pay them $7.50 per month for 3 x /64's and assign everyone a single IPv6 and then optionally charge $0.60 per month Hivelocity IPv6 depletion fee for a /68.

Maybe we can convince them to bump down the price of a /48 by $163,830 per month if they're generous or sane, then whatever, we can just pay them like a hundred bucks a year for nothing just to avoid having to get a /36 from ARIN for like $250 a year since that's the minimum amount they charge to manage one account.

But yeah once I stop losing it over this it just means we'll have to hand $250/yr to ARIN, whatever.

I'm curious why you don't request IP from ARIN. but like to rent IP?

• @sunaihui said:

IPv4 exhaustion makes that impossible.

• @fluttershy said:

@sunaihui said:

IPv4 exhaustion makes that impossible.

I assumed he was talking about v6.

• JabJab
    edited October 2022

Just remind yourself what was last DC that VirMach used and then ask yourself why would they bother going IPv6 :D
    Now seems like most DCs have sane pricing for IPv6 (mostly free?) and only one is going nuts - there was no need to apply to RIPE earlier.

• @Jab said:

@DanSummer said: not seeing ubuntu 22 anywhere. did they remove it?

That is only in SolusVM/panel [aka not in WHMCS/billing].

If you don't have Ubuntu 22 there then maybe node did not synced or something and providing node name will be helpful ;-)

Clicked some servers - most seems to have new images except NYC - for sure RYZE.NYC-B014.VMS and NYCB035.
    Seems like @VirMach hates NYCB :P

Thanks! I thought as much but I still can't see it. Here's what i have:

Thanked by (1)vgood
  • @Jab said:

@DanSummer said: not seeing ubuntu 22 anywhere. did they remove it?

That is only in SolusVM/panel [aka not in WHMCS/billing].

If you don't have Ubuntu 22 there then maybe node did not synced or something and providing node name will be helpful ;-)

RYZE.PHX-Z003.VIRM.AC has no ISO listed in SolusVM.
    There's "Select" text but no dropdown box.

Thanked by (1)vgood

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

edited October 2022

@sunaihui said: I'm curious why you don't request IP from ARIN. but like to rent IP?

We probably have to in this case, but the reason we didn't do it is it's a long/annoying process and they charge for IPv6 announcements plus there's a minimum fee with ARIN to where it doesn't really make sense. Although it would definitely be cool to at least have IPv6 remain the same forever and we were going to look into doing that in the long term anyway.

That way we could also standardize IPv6 quantities per location. I'll just see if we can work that into the plan. We'll still keep any existing V6 as we assign them but maybe lock them off for future auto assignments to use our own.

Short answer: we're being cheap and lazy for no reason. Although I will say if ARIN pushes for our client list on a spreadsheet for V6 the way they did with V4, we're 100% not doing that. We didn't do it for 65,536 IPv4 for virtually free and we sure as hell aren't doing it now for $2 worth of IPv6. I'm just morally opposed to that policy.

Thanked by (3)willie FrankZ Wonder_Woman
This discussion has been closed.