[2022] ★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ The Epic Sales Offer Thread ★★

Comments

• @VirMach Just to bring this to your attention
    Node: FFME001.VIRM.AC

ticket #189699 pl... thanks

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @VirMach said:

@bula said:
    @VirMach any hopes of getting replacement Dedicated server? Its been over 5 weeks now since the CC server shutdown.
    Ref. Ticket #342867 if it helps.

Your combination of preferences has made it more difficult to fill. We can get you one if you can throw out some other potential preferences and we do have a sheet we update with the specifications and keep an eye out.

All I want is something equivalent of the hardware specs I previously had under you. If location is an issue or specs, please advice and we can go from there.

• @Lurkrazy said: Today I tried to move to Tokyo..

Deranged, given the situation there, for months!

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• hey @virmach, is mass migration of LAXA014 already scheduled?

• edited September 2022

@VirMach A bit of a strange one..
    I have 2 VPS on CHIZ001:
    1. Small instance that's been running fine for months and still is - id=565272
    2. Recently migrated from DLS and has be running fine for a week or so (previously mentioned here) but now displayed as 'Disabled' - id=630621

Not losing millions: just curiosity. If CHI is earmarked for migration, I'd have expected both VPS to be disabled.

• @Ademan

Once you have a copy of the drive, have you tried running https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk on it? It's one of the more common recovery programs.

And if you've gone this far without it, honestly is the data worth all the time / money it would take to recover vs rebuilding from your last backup and going forward with it?

Also, as you have now experienced your probably first data loss it seems, welcome to the club. Please refer to standard backup thinking of 321 backups:

3 copies of your data (at least)
    2 different types of media (preferable though these days that can also mean different NAS / Backup / providers)
    1 of them (at least) offsite.

For example, one of my photographer friends has two different drives in his house with his client data in different parts of the house. A third copy lives at his mother in laws house like 30 min drive away in a fire proof safe, he rotates this one when he visits her with one of the ones from his house and then updates the one he brings back with any changes. And I think he also puts his original source (in this case sdcards from camera) in a bank safe deposit box. Bit more than the 321 rule but as he said, if something manages to take out all those sources of his data, it's probably because something more pressing like WW3 has broken out in which case his photo data won't be his priority anyway. Otherwise, one of the sources will survive and he can use his photos to try and recover his business.

Personally, I have two local backup servers (each has 2 drives with data) in case of a single drive failure. I also have 3 offsite backup servers on different providers (and 2 different countries even: france and US (la & nj currently)) that run every night. All of the automated routines are run via restic but there are a bunch of other options such as borg, duplicati/duplicity, etc. Restic actually has a list at https://github.com/restic/others

The other key thing is ACTUALLY CHECK YOUR BACKUPS ON A REGULAR BASIS. Far too many people setup an automated routine then never go back and check it even once, let alone on a regular basis. Stuff changes, packages can update or some required library can be updated and make your routine stop working as desired, etc.

It's one reason why I picked restic for my automated stuff, it's pretty easy to connect to the different backup endpoints as each host and look through the data, can even mount it as a local fuse directory and browse through the whole file structure, open files, etc.

Apologies if you already have something like this setup now, but I thought it might be useful for you or someone else in this situation.

Thanked by (1)Ademan
  • @netrix said:
    hey @virmach, is mass migration of LAXA014 already scheduled?

That host should be up if you need data at least. Kinda anyway (it is as I type this). Solus hadn't been able to find it for a while but my vm on it is alive and even Solus seems to recognize it currently. Try connecting via ssh & your ip even if solus says it's down.

• edited September 2022

Yipee! ATLZ007 is back online (last seen alive, July). It looks like it got a new 'B' node, with stuff migrated over to it.
    Long may it live.

• Yeah mine to list as on ATLZ007B but can not boot, nor reinstall, no VNC also

• edited September 2022

@reb0rn Try using SolusVM (Control Panel)
    My ATLZ007B nameserver isn't even reactivated yet..

• ATLZ007B, online, thank you! :)

• mine ATLZ007B is also online, reconfigure network helped to make it boot

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach said:
    Can anyone confirm if in the last decade SolusVM actually haven't added any API for assigning IPv6?

Thanked by (1)ehab

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Daevien said:
    @Ademan

Once you have a copy of the drive, have you tried running https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk on it? It's one of the more common recovery programs.

I can give it a go, although I don't expect much given my result with strings.

And if you've gone this far without it, honestly is the data worth all the time / money it would take to recover vs rebuilding from your last backup and going forward with it?

Unfortunately between my last good backup and the disaster is >1 month and there's some important stuff in the intervening time... :cry: At the end of the day it's all worth $0 (insert "losing millions" joke here), but it's also subjectively important to me and quite a few other people.

Also, as you have now experienced your probably first data loss it seems, welcome to the club. Please refer to standard backup thinking of 321 backups:

3 copies of your data (at least)
    2 different types of media (preferable though these days that can also mean different NAS / Backup / providers)
    1 of them (at least) offsite.

For example, one of my photographer friends has two different drives in his house with his client data in different parts of the house. A third copy lives at his mother in laws house like 30 min drive away in a fire proof safe, he rotates this one when he visits her with one of the ones from his house and then updates the one he brings back with any changes. And I think he also puts his original source (in this case sdcards from camera) in a bank safe deposit box. Bit more than the 321 rule but as he said, if something manages to take out all those sources of his data, it's probably because something more pressing like WW3 has broken out in which case his photo data won't be his priority anyway. Otherwise, one of the sources will survive and he can use his photos to try and recover his business.

Personally, I have two local backup servers (each has 2 drives with data) in case of a single drive failure. I also have 3 offsite backup servers on different providers (and 2 different countries even: france and US (la & nj currently)) that run every night. All of the automated routines are run via restic but there are a bunch of other options such as borg, duplicati/duplicity, etc. Restic actually has a list at https://github.com/restic/others

The other key thing is ACTUALLY CHECK YOUR BACKUPS ON A REGULAR BASIS. Far too many people setup an automated routine then never go back and check it even once, let alone on a regular basis. Stuff changes, packages can update or some required library can be updated and make your routine stop working as desired, etc.

It's one reason why I picked restic for my automated stuff, it's pretty easy to connect to the different backup endpoints as each host and look through the data, can even mount it as a local fuse directory and browse through the whole file structure, open files, etc.

Apologies if you already have something like this setup now, but I thought it might be useful for you or someone else in this situation.

Thanks! One of the tragedies of this is that I "should have known better"/"knew better" but I've never had a data loss event before. Might be one of those lessons that must be learned the hard way... I was complacent, and never got an (automated!) backup procedure in place.

• @Ademan said:
    Thanks! One of the tragedies of this is that I "should have known better"/"knew better" but I've never had a data loss event before. Might be one of those lessons that must be learned the hard way... I was complacent, and never got an (automated!) backup procedure in place.

Automation is key; if you have to actively do something to generate your backups, then you'll forget / not get around to it just before your hardware fails. I swear drives can tell when you've been thinking "I really should do another backup..."

Thanked by (1)Ademan
  • @Ademan said:

Yep, most people don't take it too serious until they lose something important that causes them financial or emotional distress basically.

@ahnlak said:
    Automation is key; if you have to actively do something to generate your backups, then you'll forget / not get around to it just before your hardware fails. I swear drives can tell when you've been thinking "I really should do another backup..."

Yeah, by the time you think the complete sentence the hard drive has finished dying in the corner.

Thanked by (1)Ademan
  • VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@bula said:

@VirMach said:

@bula said:
    @VirMach any hopes of getting replacement Dedicated server? Its been over 5 weeks now since the CC server shutdown.
    Ref. Ticket #342867 if it helps.

Your combination of preferences has made it more difficult to fill. We can get you one if you can throw out some other potential preferences and we do have a sheet we update with the specifications and keep an eye out.

All I want is something equivalent of the hardware specs I previously had under you. If location is an issue or specs, please advice and we can go from there.

I don't have it pulled up in front of me but for your requirements, if the location is not a problem then reply to your ticket or confirm here and I'll make a note that it doesn't have to be the locations you specified and it'll speed it up.

• @Virmach,

nice screenplay on Tampa. Here's a Video (warning: Long-ish, @ 16 minutes of background music and text + images). Maybe a next version will have voiceovers.

Thanked by (1)VirMach

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @VirMach said:

I don't have it pulled up in front of me but for your requirements, if the location is not a problem then reply to your ticket or confirm here and I'll make a note that it doesn't have to be the locations you specified and it'll speed it up.

Noted VirMach, no at this point location does not matter as lone as its within USA. Please proceed with replacement Server Ref. Ticket #342867. Hope this will speed up a bit as its been over 5 weeks

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@bula said:

@VirMach said:

Noted VirMach, no at this point location does not matter as lone as its within USA. Please proceed with replacement Server Ref. Ticket #342867. Hope this will speed up a bit as its been over 5 weeks

Does 2TB work or does it have to be 2x1TB?

• @VirMach said:

Does 2TB work or does it have to be 2x1TB?

2TB will work

• Is website design (color) updated?

• edited September 2022

@hzz said:
    Tyoc040 has just recovered for 7 days, and it needs to be repaired for another month, right?

TYOC035 offline. A few days(>10)

• @WeiHo said:

@hzz said:
    Tyoc040 has just recovered for 7 days, and it needs to be repaired for another month, right?

same , however, I can ping hosts under the same ip segment. It seems like my neighbors came back up but I didn't XD

• @ArcReactor said:

@WeiHo said:

@hzz said:

same , however, I can ping hosts under the same ip segment. It seems like my neighbors came back up but I didn't XD

Our neighbors all back.Except us.

• @WeiHo said:

@ArcReactor said:

@WeiHo said:

Our neighbors all back.Except us.

not all, mine has been down for a while as well at TYOC035

• The new ATLZ007B node has been stable and has greatly improved disk performance over the old ATL007 Node.
    I noticed the improved performance via real world metrics so I wanted to show it for others with yabs below.
    I wonder if @Virmach changed the NVMe drive type or if there is some other magic sauce that he is using to get this performance increase.

YABS

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-08-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Sep 10 22:40:07 CDT 2022

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 2 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 3493.434 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 3.9 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 72.6 GiB
    Distro     : AlmaLinux 8.6 (Sky Tiger)
    Kernel     : 4.18.0-372.16.1.el8_6.x86_64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 449.63 MB/s (112.4k) | 4.17 GB/s    (65.2k)
    Write      | 450.81 MB/s (112.7k) | 4.19 GB/s    (65.5k)
    Total      | 900.45 MB/s (225.1k) | 8.37 GB/s   (130.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 4.48 GB/s     (8.7k) | 4.23 GB/s     (4.1k)
    Write      | 4.72 GB/s     (9.2k) | 4.51 GB/s     (4.4k)
    Total      | 9.21 GB/s    (18.0k) | 8.75 GB/s     (8.5k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 856 Mbits/sec   | 308 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 875 Mbits/sec   | 475 Mbits/sec
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 797 Mbits/sec   | 737 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 741 Mbits/sec   | 261 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 933 Mbits/sec   | 873 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 933 Mbits/sec   | 904 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 893 Mbits/sec   | 539 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1189
    Multi Core      | 3297

P.S. Thank you for removing the duplicate Tampa VM that I asked about the other day.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• I think there is something wrong with you. The server I purchased is over 100 days old, but it is still unavailable. No one responded to the ticket sent. The picture is PAID.Ticket #362572

• @H111hljone said:
    I think there is something wrong with you. The server I purchased is over 100 days old, but it is still unavailable. No one responded to the ticket sent. The picture is PAID.Ticket #362572

@VirMach

This discussion has been closed.