Good Wifi Stick/Adapter for Windows PC?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited June 10 in General

In August, I'll be moving into a new flat and likely the router will be not in the same room as my workspace. Since my Windows PC doesn't have a wifi card, I was looking which wifi stick to get (pref dualband and good speed since we are looking to get a 1 Gbit/s line).

I assume TP Link/Asus/Fritz are the go-to brands for wifi sticks these days, right?

Was looking at smth like https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/adapter/archer-t3u/

Comments

  • Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 10

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    If you aren't allowed to use cable wall housing (not sure of the proper English name for that), then yes, definitely.
    If you can - IMO it's worth the hassle to install them (they come with self-adhesive, along with the old-style ones that are bolted to the wall).

    Thanked by (2)Ympker Janevski

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 10

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    If you aren't allowed to use cable wall housing (not sure of the proper English name for that), then yes, definitely.
    If you can - IMO it's worth the hassle to install them (they come with self-adhesive, along with the old-style ones that are bolted to the wall).

    Check the pic above. Router/internet gets in the flat at the entry door and is required at the two desks.

  • @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    If you aren't allowed to use cable wall housing (not sure of the proper English name for that), then yes, definitely.
    If you can - IMO it's worth the hassle to install them (they come with self-adhesive, along with the old-style ones that are bolted to the wall).

    Check the pic above. Router/internet gets in the flat at the entry door and is required at the two desks.

    You could route the cable along the walls near the ceiling, then bring it down to each desk.

    Different ways and types:

    Thanked by (2)Ympker Janevski

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    If you aren't allowed to use cable wall housing (not sure of the proper English name for that), then yes, definitely.
    If you can - IMO it's worth the hassle to install them (they come with self-adhesive, along with the old-style ones that are bolted to the wall).

    Check the pic above. Router/internet gets in the flat at the entry door and is required at the two desks.

    You could route the cable along the walls near the ceiling, then bring it down to each desk.

    Different ways and types:

    Will have a look, thanks :)

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Some powerlines maybe would do the trick ?

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 10

    @danielcardosopt said:
    Some powerlines maybe would do the trick ?

    Yeah, I've got those also laying around. They've been kinda horrible the last time I used them, but that was a house with 2 floors and a basement. In this small flat, powerline might just do the trick (depending on the electrical circuits).

    The ones I have are TP Link Powerlina PA 8010.

  • Instead of using a WiFi adapter, why not use a Mesh WiFi setup that allows you to plug into the remote station? Netgear Orbi, ASUS AiLink, and Eero Mesh allow you to do these types of things. They also have stronger antennas and higher power limits over a USB device because they are powered off AC adapters.

    If you still want to go the WiFi adapter route, get a PCIe WiFi adapter if you're using a desktop. Again, the power available to PCIe means more power which means better signal strength which means better throughput. Here's some recommendations of ones that look good to me:

    https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ax3000-pci-express/p/N82E16833320448
    https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-archer-tx3000e-pci-express/p/N82E16833704507
    https://www.newegg.com/d-link-dwa-x3000-pci-express/p/N82E16833127832

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

  • Plot twist: If you have a lot of apartments (more like wifis, but okey) in that building and your Wifi network gonna be congested... go WiFi 6e that goes on 6GHz and almost no one has one - whole wireless band for you, no noisy neighbors

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • havochavoc OG
    edited June 10

    If you're hoping to get gigabit on it you'll need a wifi 6 card. Something like an AX200

    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y82HZV1

    or even 6E if you can find gear that isn't crazy expensive

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @havoc said:

    If you're hoping to get gigabit on it you'll need a wifi 6 card. Something like an AX200

    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y82HZV1

    or even 6E if you can find gear that isn't crazy expensive

    Thanks :) Seems like the standard Vodafone router also supports wifi 6, so should work, I guess. Might put another router behind it anyway, though.

  • edited June 15

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Signature currently under construction
    Sorry for the inconvenience

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 15

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

  • @Ympker said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

    Also one more thing, get a dishwasher, holy shittt they are amazing

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Signature currently under construction
    Sorry for the inconvenience

  • @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

    Also one more thing, get a dishwasher, holy shittt they are amazing

    Just googled it - yup, a great idea! :)

    On a more serious note - it's one of the things I just can't get around to buy, even though dishes are most often my job.
    Got a relatively small & narrow pass kitchen, so the place I had planned for a dishwasher lets a garbage can and some other stuff nicely stowed out of the way.

    Looking at that @Ympker layout - not sure where to place it either, so it doesn't get in the way.

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @bikegremlin said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

    Also one more thing, get a dishwasher, holy shittt they are amazing

    Just googled it - yup, a great idea! :)

    On a more serious note - it's one of the things I just can't get around to buy, even though dishes are most often my job.
    Got a relatively small & narrow pass kitchen, so the place I had planned for a dishwasher lets a garbage can and some other stuff nicely stowed out of the way.

    Looking at that @Ympker layout - not sure where to place it either, so it doesn't get in the way.

    Yeah, a dish washer as suggested by @skorupion would certainly be convenient, however we will have to see if there's space for it. Moving in at the end of August, so still some time for panning and good ideas :) Thanks for the feedback @skorupion and @bikegremlin !

  • @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

    Also one more thing, get a dishwasher, holy shittt they are amazing

    Just googled it - yup, a great idea! :)

    On a more serious note - it's one of the things I just can't get around to buy, even though dishes are most often my job.
    Got a relatively small & narrow pass kitchen, so the place I had planned for a dishwasher lets a garbage can and some other stuff nicely stowed out of the way.

    Looking at that @Ympker layout - not sure where to place it either, so it doesn't get in the way.

    Yeah, a dish washer as suggested by @skorupion would certainly be convenient, however we will have to see if there's space for it. Moving in at the end of August, so still some time for panning and good ideas :) Thanks for the feedback @skorupion and @bikegremlin !

    also where do you plan on doing your laundry, and drying it?

    Thanked by (1)Ympker

    Signature currently under construction
    Sorry for the inconvenience

  • ehabehab Content Writer
    edited June 16

    i don't know if any mentioned this but i would use

    Powerline Network

    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7017p-kit/

    worked great for me.

    Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @skorupion said:

    @Ympker said:

    @bikegremlin said:
    Be a man - use cables!

    :)

    I've had good results with TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapters, they are OK.

    Cables is better, but it's gonna be like 10meters from one room to another. Cable length wouldn't be a problem, but placing it ideally as to not be annoying and be in the way is.

    Router is at the entry door and internet is required at the two desks:

    Looks like quite a cozy apartment tbh

    Edit: add a coffee table next to the couch

    Thanks! That's a good idea, actually! Seems like it'd be fitting in nicely :)

    Also one more thing, get a dishwasher, holy shittt they are amazing

    Just googled it - yup, a great idea! :)

    On a more serious note - it's one of the things I just can't get around to buy, even though dishes are most often my job.
    Got a relatively small & narrow pass kitchen, so the place I had planned for a dishwasher lets a garbage can and some other stuff nicely stowed out of the way.

    Looking at that @Ympker layout - not sure where to place it either, so it doesn't get in the way.

    Yeah, a dish washer as suggested by @skorupion would certainly be convenient, however we will have to see if there's space for it. Moving in at the end of August, so still some time for panning and good ideas :) Thanks for the feedback @skorupion and @bikegremlin !

    also where do you plan on doing your laundry, and drying it?

    That's a good question. The washing machine was in the bathroom when we visited, but the guy didn't really have a place where to dry the cloths either. We have to get creative here😅🥲

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    @ehab said:
    i don't know if any mentioned this but i would use

    Powerline Network

    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7017p-kit/

    worked great for me.

    Yeah, I got one of these 8010, so that will probably fix it :)

Sign In or Register to comment.