Porkbun NS moving to Cloudflare?

edited September 17 in Industry News

Yesterday I have received an interesting email from porkbun, I didn't see any posts about it here so I thought it might be worth sharing here.

Hello there,

You're receiving this email because one or more domains in your account are registered at another registrar and might be using Porkbun nameservers. Our legacy DNS infrastructure will be decommissioned by the end of September.

We've got good news and bad news. The good news is that we've already started migrating our DNS infrastructure to our new DNS provider, Cloudflare. With Cloudflare, you'll get built-in denial-of-service-attack protection and other security features, at zero additional cost.

The bad news is that any of your domains that are registered elsewhere that use the following nameservers:

fortaleza.porkbun.com
salvador.porkbun.com
maceio.porkbun.com
curitiba.porkbun.com

…will need to be updated to the following instead:

fortaleza.ns.porkbun.com
salvador.ns.porkbun.com
maceio.ns.porkbun.com
curitiba.ns.porkbun.com

This change will need to be made at the current registrar for these domains. If you need any assistance determining where your domain is registered, or how to change the nameserver assignment, please contact Porkbun support at [email protected]

Why is Porkbun switching DNS providers?

We've simply grown too big! Maintaining a massive DNS infrastructure in today's hostile, complicated internet is no small feat. We've pulled it off so far, but it's getting harder every year. We realized we could offer the same free service without all that effort (and additional expense) by outsourcing the task to a provider that's already perfected the art of large-scale DNS hosting. We chose Cloudflare due to their reputation for providing world-class, DDoS-resistant DNS service. After this transition, we'll be free to focus on building out our registrar and hosting products. We're excited to say the least!

If you've still got any questions, we're here to answer them! Simply reply to this email, or email [email protected] and we'll get an answer back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,
The Porkbun Team

That's an interesting piece of news considering cloudflare "competes" with Porkbun in the domain registration sector, but that's just me.

Comments