VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• @skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@skorous said:
    Okay, so it's a little hard to tell with your copy pasta but that looks like it opened up a new window and disconnected you in both the stock WebUI as well as the SolusVM interface. Is that right? Does NoVNC work for other providers and just not this VPS?

Side question, does that not show your VPS is Online?

How long in between when the window opens and you get the 1006 error?

About 30-45 seconds

Just so it's been asked, in that time frame you tried clicking inside the window and pressing a key on your keyboard, right? I do sometimes gets 1006's but it's usually after I've been sitting idle for a while on a console - hitting F5/control-r brings it back.

No, I did not perform any operations.

• @YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@skorous said:
    Okay, so it's a little hard to tell with your copy pasta but that looks like it opened up a new window and disconnected you in both the stock WebUI as well as the SolusVM interface. Is that right? Does NoVNC work for other providers and just not this VPS?

About 30-45 seconds

Just so it's been asked, in that time frame you tried clicking inside the window and pressing a key on your keyboard, right? I do sometimes gets 1006's but it's usually after I've been sitting idle for a while on a console - hitting F5/control-r brings it back.

Okay, so what happens if in that 30-45s you click in the window and press the spacebar?

• @skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@skorous said:

About 30-45 seconds

Okay, so what happens if in that 30-45s you click in the window and press the spacebar?

I followed your method and there will be no change.

• @YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@YanJony said:

@skorous said:

@skorous said:

About 30-45 seconds

I followed your method and there will be no change.

I didn't think it would make a difference but you gotta try the easiest stuff first just in case. Thanks for humoring me.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@YanJony - The only thing I would add to what @skorous has already covered is to make sure that in the SolusVM panel the "VNC" setting is set to "On".

Thanked by (1)skorous

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• skorousskorous OG
    edited June 2023

@FrankZ said:
    @YanJony - The only thing I would add to what @skorous has already covered is to make sure that in the SolusVM panel the "VNC" setting is set to "On".

Ther's a VNC setting? Really? How have I missed this....

Edit: Hey, whaddya know .....

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone
    Previously, we would not remove phone 2FA or had very strict requirements that were difficult for people to meet. Beginning May 21st, 2023, we will allow removals after a "lockout" period.

When logging in, a button will appear to begin the removal process. There is a 14 day wait period. A ticket is generated, and you'll receive a copy confirming this, that way if anyone else is attempting to remove your 2FA you will be notified. To cancel the lockout removal, you can reply back to the ticket if you already have access to your account. Otherwise, after approximately 14 days the 2FA will then be removed.

my ticket #929289 create 22 May 2023

now 21 June 2023, no response yet with the ticket

• @vgood said:

D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone
    Previously, we would not remove phone 2FA or had very strict requirements that were difficult for people to meet. Beginning May 21st, 2023, we will allow removals after a "lockout" period.

When logging in, a button will appear to begin the removal process. There is a 14 day wait period. A ticket is generated, and you'll receive a copy confirming this, that way if anyone else is attempting to remove your 2FA you will be notified. To cancel the lockout removal, you can reply back to the ticket if you already have access to your account. Otherwise, after approximately 14 days the 2FA will then be removed.

I'm not Virmach support but were I in his shoes I would point to two things.

1. Otherwise, after approximately 14 days the 2FA will then be removed.
    2. Paragraph #4 on your link: 4. Paying Bills (While locked out)
    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @skorous said:

@FrankZ said:

Ther's a VNC setting? Really? How have I missed this....

Edit: Hey, whaddya know .....

When I toggle this off, I get code "1011: Failed to connect to downstream server" not 1006 same as I do if the VPS is turned off. I'd still be interesting in seeing what @YanJony finds. Remember if you're toggling this you have to shutdown the machine for them to take effect.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • edited June 2023

@skorous said:

@vgood said:

@VirMach said:

1. Otherwise, after approximately 14 days the 2FA will then be removed.
    2. Paragraph #4 on your link: 4. Paying Bills (While locked out)

Originally I was confused, because when my cellphone was wiped and reset 2FA Google authentical then replaced with a new cellphone, other lowend VPS service providers weren't as complicated as this. It's enough to send a ticket once and they confirm via email to make sure the account really belongs to me. waiting at most 3 days and back to normal they reset and I can login.
    what's confusing about this @VirMach is that there is no reply from the ticket, instead they send an invoice via email for 1 VPS which will expire soon in July 2023. My logic is, how do you want to pay to extend the VPS, you can't just enter the panel.
    see in the picture, I logged in manually and clicked sign in with google, everything was still stuck on the display like on the screen

**note
    Until now I haven't used all the active VPS in my account at Virmach, because I lost root login data and couldn't reinstall VPS because I couldn't enter the panel

• use andOTP so you'll always be able to backup with ease, even encrypted backup can be done automatically (sync them with syncthing to outside your phone or something)

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @vgood said: what's confusing about this @VirMach is that there is no reply from the ticket, instead they send an invoice via email for 1 VPS which will expire soon in July 2023.

Aaaaaand you're thinking those two events are related somehow? Like Virmach's sitting at his desk trying to decide, "Should I remove his 2FA .... should I send him an invoice .... let's go with the invoice. It'll be more funny." No, the invoice is automated.

@vgood said: My logic is, how do you want to pay to extend the VPS, you can't just enter the panel.

Have you read paragraph 4 like I pointed out?

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@vgood said:

D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone

I haven't kept up with what else you're saying but the only thing that needs to be done is reading that security page I linked, and titling it EXACTLY correctly per instructions.

If you've already done then then it'll work out.

@FrankZ said:

I haven't read what the other guy's been posting either but I'm 99% sure it's just a case of him re-installing during maintenance and the disk is missing so it'll just have to be recreated on our end.

Anyway I don't know if that'll be helpful, but those are my two guesses on the above situations.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @VirMach said: I haven't read what the other guy's been posting either but I'm 99% sure it's just a case of him re-installing during maintenance and the disk is missing so it'll just have to be recreated on our end.

He'd be able to get a console in that case though, no? He can't get a console at all. Clicked link opens a new window which is blank and 30s later it gives him Error 1006 - Failed to connect to downstream server. VPS may be jacked but we can't tell since we can't see anything.

Quick update on NYC servers, we're on track per our last status update to get these finally resolved. NYCB042 so far confirmed 100% done, just need to load everyone back in and power on services. We're going to first try moving people manually to available space, which means IP changes. For this one the IP will definitely change as we gave back the block (it was part of price increased and changed IPv4 blocks.) All the others are also close to being completed as well, today will mostly be wrapping them all up. With that said it doesn't mean all of them are without complicated problems, so it's possible a few may have further delays.

I spoke about this a while ago but if that doesn't go well since our upload speed at the office isn't terrific, I'll most likely either drive down the servers to LAX and we'll process migration requests back to NYC afterward or we'll use LAX just to upload them.

@skorous said:

@VirMach said: I haven't read what the other guy's been posting either but I'm 99% sure it's just a case of him re-installing during maintenance and the disk is missing so it'll just have to be recreated on our end.

He'd be able to get a console in that case though, no? He can't get a console at all. Clicked link opens a new window which is blank and 30s later it gives him Error 1006 - Failed to connect to downstream server. VPS may be jacked but we can't tell since we can't see anything.

Depends.

In most cases after maintenance it would have been rebooted, which means if LVM is missing then SVM will refuse to even power it on at that point as it goes in an errored state. It wouldn't boot up with missing LVM in those cases.

Thanked by (3)FrankZ tuc skorous
  • @VirMach said: I haven't kept up with what else you're saying but the only thing that needs to be done is reading that security page I linked, and titling it EXACTLY correctly per instructions.
    If you've already done then then it'll work out.

I have used the title according to the order on the old ticket, and it's been one month since there has been no response to the ticket or it has been closed by the @VirMach
    Yesterday I did the same thing, sent the ticket back according to the title, exactly according to the instructions
    Subject : D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone
    There has been no response to the old ticket, let alone the new ticket.

@vgood said: Subject : D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone

That wouldn't be the right title, which instructions are you following?

Contacting Us?
    Please make sure to mention "Account Security & Recovery" in your ticket title and let us know the number or letter of the specific request. (For example, "1" or "A" or "II" listed below.)

Needs to be "Account Security & Recovery" and then mention D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone in the ticket.

Thanked by (3)FrankZ skorous vgood
  • JabJab
    edited June 2023

Dear VirMach Customers,

Your service(s) on node TPAZ003 are being migrated to another node in either Tampa, Miami, or Atlanta. Your service will return online with a new IP address, and all data will remain intact. Migration will take a few hours per service. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are electing to do this as TPAZ003 has been facing a growing problem where virtual servers may crash/go offline without warning. After the migration, stability should return. Please do contact us to request SLA credits if your service was negatively affected as a result of these powerdown issues in the past.

Thank you.

Hmmm, I don't recall having anything on TPAZ003.. or this is TPAZ005<->TPAZ003 mixed thing?

Seems like yes as Node is locked and SolusVM shows Node TPAZ005.VIRM.AC :D

Ah, it's also the one that got bumped from 2.5$ to 25$ per year, I should have cancelled that earlier and save time :D

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

NYCB048 complete, this one has been restored to a degree where I feel comfortable re-deploying the server. Currently fresh backups are being processed to the drive on the server, just in case. It's going to go to LAX. The IP addresses will change, and we'll offer free migrations to NYC for any requested. Since it'll be in LAX if it has further problems it'll be a quick fix.

Just in case you're wondering the issue with this one, this one was one of the milder symptom servers. The CPU fried and after replacement it made it look like there was potential data loss, but after going through it more thoroughly it was just that the motherboard jumbled up the order of the disks so that's been corrected and there's no problems. I've been running it and stress testing it for some time now and it looks great. So to recap it looks like the CPU just fried on it perhaps from getting loose and not making perfect contact over time after rough shipping, and nothing else.

I'm also confirming that we'll be uploading data from LAX for the other servers. I'm loading up a second copy of the data on all servers onto external drives, so whenever that's done they'll all be taken together so we can upload it at 10Gbps versus 5-10Mbps at the office right now.

We have space in LAX for one more server so out of the other servers left over, one of them will also be redeployed in LAX (unless none are good candidates.) This might end up being the shared hosting node, even if I'm unable to get it to function perfectly as we can more quickly diagnose and prevent huge downtimes moving forward. It would also save massive amounts of time from preventing a full migration for that since all our migration scripts are tailored for SolusVM and not WHM (I know WHM has it's own thing but we're more confident and well versed in our custom process.)

I've already contacted QN to make sure they don't null us for an outbound attack or anything like that. So outside of IP changes, the process should be pretty quick and painless.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @VirMach said:

Contacting Us?
    Please make sure to mention "Account Security & Recovery" in your ticket title and let us know the number or letter of the specific request. (For example, "1" or "A" or "II" listed below.)

Needs to be "Account Security & Recovery" and then mention D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone in the ticket.

ok, this is clearer. i have closed the old ticket @VirMach and created a new ticket as per this instructions,
    Subject : Account Security & Recovery
    Message Ticket : D. Remove Phone 2FA/Lost Phone.
    Hopefully it will be followed up soon.
    Thank You

NYCB027 is mostly functional now. This one had a damaged heatsink and BMC (IPMI) had failed. One of the PCIe risers had fallen off although I don't know if any of these was beforehand or on the shipment back to us. Some issues with it still, but data intact and healthy enough to get the data off.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • edited June 2023

What about NYCB009SH? @VirMach

edited June 2023

@BNNY said:
    What about NYCB009SH? @VirMach

Looks good so far, not done yet. Same with NYCB006. These have hardware RAID controllers so I don't want to announce anything yet until I'm sure. All other backups we already announced, they're going very slow, so this might push into tomorrow.

For NYCB009, whether or not I can get it perfectly fixed, since it did also previously have other problems, I'll most likely consider still deploying it by tomorrow so people can get their data off since I assume a lot of people will want to leave after the terrible experience. I feel like that's better than waiting any longer since were going to also have fresh backups of the data should anything go wrong, and I'll be in the same city to quickly fix it next time it goes own, while we prepare a more permanent solution.

I'll also keep the backups on the server on another drive, in case it does go offline, we'll have a USB enclosure for it so the tech or myself can take out the backup that won't be on the RAID controller, pop it in the enclosure, and attach it to another server and either have it ready for backup requests or send it off to a healthier node.

I will also say, LAX QN has been very good with our emergency requests, if there's an outage I'm confident it will be hours versus days or weeks (but again, I'm here, so even if they're not, I can at least go grab it.)

Thanked by (2)FrankZ BNNY
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited June 2023

For those of you that have joined us late here is a tldr;

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

edited June 2023

@VirMach said: NYCB048 complete, this one has been restored to a degree where I feel comfortable re-deploying the server. Currently fresh backups are being processed to the drive on the server, just in case. It's going to go to LAX. The IP addresses will change, and we'll offer free migrations to NYC for any requested. Since it'll be in LAX if it has further problems it'll be a quick fix.

Just in case you're wondering the issue with this one, this one was one of the milder symptom servers. The CPU fried and after replacement it made it look like there was potential data loss, but after going through it more thoroughly it was just that the motherboard jumbled up the order of the disks so that's been corrected and there's no problems. I've been running it and stress testing it for some time now and it looks great. So to recap it looks like the CPU just fried on it perhaps from getting loose and not making perfect contact over time after rough shipping, and nothing else.

This is no longer the plan for this one. It powered off, I'll have to see if it was an issue with the power strip but it could just be the motherboard. This one (NYCB048) is definitely extending into tomorrow. Luckily though it looks like my confidence in it wasn't totally false as it powered back on without issues. It could just at this point be an issue with the motherboard latch and maybe it thermal powered off. All a guess, I'm writing this as checking.

(edit) another possibility is that I'm an idiot and may have just powered this one off since everything looked perfect and then thought it went offline. Looking into that possibility now.

NYCB042, the backups are going extremely slow. It will most likely also get extended through tomorrow but it's powering through it without issues.

NYCB027 is no longer mostly functional. The backup didn't complete, I'll have to look into it much further. This one is delayed indefinitely, but hopefully tomorrow.

NYCB006R didn't have controller issues, it was other issues, so I'd say I'm confident in it but last time I said that it didn't go well. But let's just say I'm leaning toward deploying NYCB00R and NYCB009 in LAX now. So maybe those get deployed tonight and then all the data upload ones get done tomorrow (NYCB042, NYCB048, NYCB027.) We're still on track for the original estimate of Wednesday to Thursday for most of them, it just looks like it'll basically be technically Thursday for all of them (even the two that go in LAX will be after midnight.)

Thanked by (2)FrankZ skorous
  • Hello, it seems that all tokyo ipv6 is down. I tried this to ping the ipv6 gateway server, but there was no response. What happened to cause the ipv6 exception and when will it be fixed?
    @VirMach

@Emmmc said:
    Hello, it seems that all tokyo ipv6 is down. I tried this to ping the ipv6 gateway server, but there was no response. What happened to cause the ipv6 exception and when will it be fixed?
    @VirMach

Did it previously work for you?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited June 2023

@VirMach said:

@Emmmc said:
    Hello, it seems that all tokyo ipv6 is down. I tried this to ping the ipv6 gateway server, but there was no response. What happened to cause the ipv6 exception and when will it be fixed?
    @VirMach

There were a few reports of IPv6 not functioning in Tokyo, where it previously had worked. This was on June 9th and 10th. Personally I lost IPv6 connectivity on Node TYOC039 around 8AM on June 9th LA time. I can ping6 the gateway, but nothing else, in or out.

EDIT: Corrected dates

• @FrankZ said:

@VirMach said:

@Emmmc said:
    @VirMach

There were a few reports of IPv6 not functioning, where it previously had worked. This was on June 6th and 7th. Personally I lost IPv6 connectivity on Node TYOC039 around 8AM on June 6th LA time. I can ping6 the gateway, but nothing else, in or out.

Same here, no v6 on TYO storage.
    Used to work before.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

Okay added to list for Tokyo v6.

NYCB042, NYCB048, and NYCB009 backups are finally completed.

NYCB027 still needs further repair, NYCB006 is fully functional (as are NYCB009, NYCB042, NYCB008 still.) However LAX QN is at power capacity so I don't feel comfortable adding any of them there right now. May look into HV instead but will try to avoid that and focus on uploading elsewhere instead. Should have an update for everything in the morning.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ tototo