Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2020

The graphics are individually nice. It's just that seeing one every time there is minor news gets to be a bit overload-ish, so scrolling this page shows it is mostly filled by them. That's just me though. And I'm sure your dev team is keeping busy! But if I whisper the word "GPU" while going to sleep at night, maybe they will hear me ;).

• edited April 2020

@willie Sleeping with a GPU under your pillow or a sacrifice to the tech gods might work. :smile:

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

Happy Hump Day! (It's funny writing that right underneath Wednesday Adams.) For those Fedora fans out there, we've added Fedora 32 to Hetzner Cloud. --Katie

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

Are any of you curious about MicroK8s but haven't tried it yet. We've got a super quick tutorial to help you get a MicroK8s cluster up and running. --Katie

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

idk I kinda like the pictures.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Not a news byte, just a cool pic of our dedicated root servers that I thought I would share... ;) --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Not a news byte, just a cool pic of our dedicated root servers that I thought I would share... ;) --Katie

I know this is a longshot, but do you also have photos of Hetzner's cable management? It's always fun to see datacenters show off how sharp they look with organizing their cables and having a clean setup.

• edited May 2020

@Pwner said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

I know this is a longshot, but do you also have photos of Hetzner's cable management? It's always fun to see datacenters show off how sharp they look with organizing their cables and having a clean setup.

This is how mine would look like tho.

Thanked by (3)Hetzner_OL Pwner MaxKVM

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I have worked places that looked just like that^

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Bet that was fun for you!

@Pwner - I'll see what I can do. I think we might have some. --Katie

Thanked by (1)Pwner

• @Pwner said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

German Kabelverwaltung. Should be good.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
  • DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL Please add Paypal automatic subscription or forward my request to head of Hetzner. ;)

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

@Dewlance - Thanks for the feedback. I will pass that request onto our accounting team.
    For now, though, maybe there is another thing that we could do to help. Depending on what kind of product you have with us, I think it is possible to request a longer pilling period -- 3 months, 6 months, a year. By doing this, you won't have to think about paying it every month. Our accounting team can help to set this up for you. And, of course, if you later decide to cancel your products/accounts, any money left on the account would be automatically refunded to you. --Katie

• edited May 2020

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @Dewlance - Thanks for the feedback. I will pass that request onto our accounting team.
    For now, though, maybe there is another thing that we could do to help. Depending on what kind of product you have with us, I think it is possible to request a longer pilling period -- 3 months, 6 months, a year. By doing this, you won't have to think about paying it every month. Our accounting team can help to set this up for you. And, of course, if you later decide to cancel your products/accounts, any money left on the account would be automatically refunded to you. --Katie

Who should I write about this? I'd love to pay my servers for longer periods as well. If that applies to auction of course.

Happy Friday! Need another monitoring tool...? Here's our latest tutorial! Use it to install Netdata to monitor your server systems and applications. Plus you can use NGINX to set up a reverse proxy so you're can prevent public access to the Netdata interface. --Katie

Thanked by (1)beagle

@serv_ee said: Who should I write about this? I'd love to pay my servers for longer periods as well. If that applies to auction of course.

Yeah, I believe that is available for the Auction Servers. Just go to your account on Robot and open a support request to the accounting team. Specify which servers and other billable items (add-ons, etc.) you would like to change. They'll be happy to help you as best as they can. --Katie

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Hetzner_OL - question to clear up some speculation:

A local developer asked their client to rent a server with Hetzner for the project they are making for them (the client).
    Allegedly, the client was turned down by Hetzner, stating that:
    "Hetzner doesn't take any new customers from Serbia, because they've had problems with about 80% of the clients from Serbia".

Is this true? Asking both about the percentage, and the no new customers from Serbia part?

I had registered for a Storage Box about a year ago (would have to check) with no problems, and it has worked fine while I was using it (cancelled it after it was no longer needed, again with no problems, nor any complications).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

False info - as it turns out.
    Post can be deleted.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin - I don't think we block customers based purely on their countries, but perhaps there are some exceptions I am not thinking of right now. (?)
    When we block an account, it is usually because of multiple things that look a bit off. Sometimes, though, it's not a clear black-and-white situation. There are times where we're not 100% sure whether an account is fake or legit. We try to provide some options to customers in what I'll call "the grey zone". We ask them to provide additional identification and/or to pre-pay using PayPal. In some situations, the people in the grey zone may still be rejected even if they provide an ID and pre-pay.
    As a general rule, we don't publish details/statistics about our customers. --Katie

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• @Hetzner_OL are there any plans to have a pre-paid option / shared billing per project in Hetzner Cloud?

Something like DigitalOcean where project members can each add to the pre-paid pot of money that the project uses.

@catatonic - I don't think there are any plans underway for something like that. (I haven't heard anything on the grapevine like that.)
    I don't think it is possible for our customer administration system, which we call Robot, to generate invoices for people who are not customers.
    I believe it is possible, however, to change your payment options to a longer time (3 months, 6 months, a year) as I wrote above. I suppose that is a kind of pre-paying. But again, I believe only the account holder can then pay this invoice.
    Perhaps, (and let me emphasize the "perhaps" here), people could send wire transfers or bank transfers and purposefully over-pay the amount on an invoice so that there is extra credit on the account, which you could use towards future invoices. (?)
    Would you like me to ask the accounting team if this is possible? --Katie

In other news, Ubuntu 20.04 is now also available for our dedicated root servers. There were a few people in our own forum who were waiting for that, so I thought maybe a few people here were looking forward to that as well. --Katie

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@catatonic - So, I spoke with a coworker in our accounting department. He recommended that you and your project members do the following. 1) You receive your invoice as normal. You let your project members know our banking details, and you tell them how much you would like them to contribute. You will also need to give them your client ID or you invoice number as a reference. 2) Your project members pay for their part of the invoice via a bank or wire transfer. They should enter the invoice number or client ID as a reference on the transfer.

Usually, when our team receives a payment that is too big for an invoice, they send a refund back for the over-paid amount. So trying to over-pay might not be the best idea.

If you want to try to do this, please write a support ticket first via your customer account on Cloud Console. Let them know what you would like to try to do. And they will let you know if it is possible.

Unfortunately, though, we don't have a method in place to automatically split the invoice between you and your project members. --Katie

• @catatonic said:
    @Hetzner_OL are there any plans to have a pre-paid option / shared billing per project in Hetzner Cloud?

Something like DigitalOcean where project members can each add to the pre-paid pot of money that the project uses.

Not much of a solution specific to Hetzner but some banks allow to split payments between people, such as Revolut or N26. You might also give them a try.

• Thanks @Hetzner_OL, @berkay. I think raising a ticket and overpaying will probably be the first thing i try :)

Practical problem I have with the Serbian banks - cards get disabled, or charges just don't go through.

For example, for about 5 days now, my card has been disabled - bank had some security problems from what I could understand. And I have to wait for about 10 work days until I am able to pay on-line again.

Or open another account for use in the mean time - with a bank of a similar "quality" - they all suck basically, unfortunately.

Hence, I try to pay for most stuff in advance - so any account based credits are very helpful. So enough funds for the next renewal are already paid, and the provider can just use those.

Paying for a year in advance doesn't help, since if I run into bank related problems at the renewal time, it sucks. I need at least a 30 day "cushion", to fix stuff with a bank when (not if) it happens.

To make it perfectly clear - I've never had any debts, nor problems with banks that are because of something I did, or didn't do.

• If I overpay for a year to cover costs of my cheap dedi + IPv4 (after a support discussion and custom invoice), can the 'credits' be used across ALL hetzner services (that I impulse buy) or just that server+IPs I budgeted for?

@virmalware - I am not sure. For some of these questions, it's really best to write directly to the accounting department via a support ticket. If customers overpay, our default is to refund the over-paid amount. So if it's something you would like to try to do, please ask first. I am not sure if it is possible for all account types and if it causes complications for our accounting department.

@bikegremlin - I'm sorry that there's banking issues in Serbia. I believe some of our customers change their billing period to "yearly" for similar reasons.
    --Katie

@Hetzner_OL said:

@bikegremlin - I'm sorry that there's banking issues in Serbia. I believe some of our customers change their billing period to "yearly" for similar reasons.
    --Katie

Tried to explain how yearly doesn't prevent payment problems - unless it can be paid at least a month in advance.
    It does make them less probable (since problems can happen once, or twice a year, so with yearly payment one is more likely to have the payment schedule/deadline miss the problem occurence time), but paying in advance to some account funds is what works better - in my experience.