Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

In case anyone has been waiting for it, our AX61-NVMe model (the one based on AMD Ryzen 9 3900) is now available in Falkenstein. Maybe that will help to start of your week the right way. :) --Katie

Thanked by (1)bibble

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

You all already recommend Hetzner Cloud to people online - now you can earn some credits for doing it. Hetzner Cloud now has a Referral Program to reward loyal customers like you!
    Use your unique referral link to invite your family, friends and followers to join Hetzner Cloud. As soon as someone signs up on Hetzner using your personal link, they'll receive € 20 in Hetzner Cloud credits. Once they spend at least € 10 with us (not including credits), you'll also receive € 10 in Hetzner Cloud credits.
    You already know that a little money goes a long way on Hetzner Cloud. Imagine what you can do with those extra credits... If we've already got you daydreaming, then you should read more at console.hetzner.cloud/referrals.

All amounts excl. VAT

Thanked by (2)vimalware MaxKVM

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    You all already recommend Hetzner Cloud to people online - now you can earn some credits for doing it. Hetzner Cloud now has a Referral Program to reward loyal customers like you!
    Use your unique referral link to invite your family, friends and followers to join Hetzner Cloud. As soon as someone signs up on Hetzner using your personal link, they'll receive € 20 in Hetzner Cloud credits. Once they spend at least € 10 with us (not including credits), you'll also receive € 10 in Hetzner Cloud credits.
    You already know that a little money goes a long way on Hetzner Cloud. Imagine what you can do with those extra credits... If we've already got you daydreaming, then you should read more at console.hetzner.cloud/referrals.

All amounts excl. VAT

Darn it! 3 days ago referred several friends. Heh good to know for the future though!

• williewillie OG
    edited July 2020

Nice to hear about the referral program! Seems like everyone has that now. The splash screen for the cloud console says that the referred customer's credits have to be used by the end of the next month (which is unclear wording). But the referrals page and the terms/conditions pdf don't say anything about that. Could the exact terms be clarified somewhere?

@APenguinWeb - if your friends haven't signed up yet, you can still generate a link and give it to them.

• So, the best time to refer a new friend is the 1st of the month?

The referred customer´s credits are valid until the end of the following month. For example, if someone signs up with your personal link on August 13, their credit will be valid for the August and September invoice (as long as there is credit remaining).

Thanked by (1)willie

• @Hetzner_OL Hi Katie and Helena! How are all of you at Hetzner? What's new, fun, and interesting? Best wishes from Mexico! Tom

Hi Tom, Sorry that we've been so inactive here on LES lately. Both Helena and I have had some time recently out of the office, and when we've been in, we've had our hands a bit full.
    For example, I've been preparing my English classes here at Hetzner for the next "school year". There are not too many tech companies that have their own in-house English teacher so that coworkers can take lessons for free. Plus, as far as I know, we're the only company in the area around Gunzenhausen that requires extra English classes for our apprentices. And, since my background is in teaching, it's honestly my favorite part of my job.
    Things here in Germany are often a bit quiet in general in August. It's the unofficial month where lots of people use their vacation days.
    We recently made our wiki a bit prettier and gave it a new name, Hetzner Docs. There's a no-setup sale going on at the moment for our PX92.
    What's been going on in Mexico? How are things there? --Katie

Thanked by (1)adly

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi Katie!

Thanks for your news! It's fun to hear about what's happening at Hetzner and other providers! I visited both of the links you provided, the one for the Docs and also for the PX92.

In the Docs search bar, I tried "auction." I have looked only very briefly at the auctions. I wondered whether somewhere there is an explanation of the auctions. Perhaps with answers to questions like: How often do the auction prices change and by what amount? Is there a low limit to the prices? What has been the typical purchase price for a particular server? Is there a good strategy for buying at the auction? Is there a way to auto-bid (give me this server if the price drops to $x)?

Maybe you wouldn't mind giving a clue about what "E," "A," "P," "S," and "X" stand for?

That's cool about Hetzner's in house English program. Haha, here in Mexico I have both in house and all-around-the-house Spanish programs! :) Un dia, una palabra mas. :)

Here in the Sonoran Desert, just below Yuma, Arizona, the news today is about the weather. The monsoon is ending! Today, we're moving from recent days around 117° F / 47° C and 70% humidity to maybe 90° F / 32° C and 20% humidity. That's a big change! :sunglasses:

Saludos!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said: Maybe you wouldn't mind giving a clue about what "E," "A," "P," "S," and "X" stand for?

AX = AMD processors, SX = storage, PX = professional series (ECC memory etc), EX = economy. I don't know if those are official abbreviations. It's just what I observe.

• don't forget D for Dell ;-) however, I also don't know about the Q vs X ...

interesting read: https://docs.hetzner.com/de/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-hardware/

there you can also lookup the old models, which you can grab via serverboerse to see the official naming back then.

@Not_Oles - You're absolutely right about the need for a FAQ page for the Server Auction. I hope that I'll have time to write some new articles for Hetzner Docs soon, and I've been wanting to write an article on the Server Auction for a long time. I'm keeping a list of articles I think we need, especially ones that are useful for newer customers.
    How often do prices change? - We randomize the time in between the changes.
    Lowest price limit? Yes, the servers all have a limit for how low they will go. But with most models, someone buys the servers first.
    Typical price? That changes constantly and we don't publish it. Of course, we've got someone here on staff who keeps an eye on it. If you're not sure whether a price is a steal or not, you can always ask people here.
    Strategy? Again, I'd ask for advice here. If I remember correctly, I think some people at LET developed a few scripts to help them out. But I didn't research them at all.
    Autobid - No, not that I know of. But maybe someone has found a way to alert you if a specific model reaches a certain price. (?)

@willie's and @Falzo's explanations for the product names/abbreviations are spot on, but as Captain Barbossa would say, these are "more of what you'd call guidelines than actual rules".
    The "Q" servers were mostly before my time, I think. I am not 100% sure what the Q represented. But I can ask some of the older colleagues tomorrow at lunch and find out why.
    --Katie

• @Falzo said:

Falzo in the house .... nice to see you man :) hope wife life is good with you

Thanked by (2)vimalware Falzo
  • For a while I had a bot that monitored Hetzner auction prices (I hope that was allowed). I guess I could revive it if people wanted it.

Thanked by (2)tehdartherer Not_Oles

@willie - As far as I know, that's allowed. :) --Katie

• @ehab said:

@Falzo said:

Falzo in the house .... nice to see you man :) hope wife life is good with you

heyhey! divorced for >2y now, so yeah, life is good ;-)

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
  • @Falzo said:
    heyhey! divorced for >2y now, so yeah, life is good ;-)

we should catch up someday.... for now have fun

Thanked by (1)Falzo

@Falzo said: divorced for >2y now, so yeah, life is good ;-)

That makes me think of the song "Jubilation Day" by the Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. --Katie

Thanked by (1)Falzo

• @Hetzner_OL said:

@Falzo said: divorced for >2y now, so yeah, life is good ;-)

That makes me think of the song "Jubilation Day" by the Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. --Katie

haha, I didn't know this one ?

We at Hetzner are working hard to better integrate our cloud servers and our dedicated root servers. This week, we've got good news for you:

So now you can configure your cloud and dedicated servers together in private networks, which open up all sorts of new opportunities.
    Here's a quick overview.

In addition, there was some news a few weeks ago that you might have missed: Dedicated root servers can now be targets for Hetzner Cloud Load Balancers.

• This is nice. Hetzner continues to gain steam. The feature probably makes life easier for people interested in offering hosted services (databases etc.) to Hetzner users. I've sometimes thought about doing that, and this update will have me thinking about it again.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

Today we'll let you in on a secret: from November 27th to November 30th, our Black Weekend stars will shine.
    So keep your eyes open for what awaits you in the darkness.

Thanked by (1)beagle

• Love the pic.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL said: Today we'll let you in on a secret: from November 27th to November 30th, our Black Weekend stars will shine.

So keep your eyes open for what awaits you in the darkness.

Is there a link to a special page for it?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• educated guess: a few dedis without setup fee. 5€ cloud coupons, only for new customers.
    sorry @Hetzner_OL but I'd be only surprised, if you bring up somethin non boring and while I also like the image and marketing strategy, doesn't sell old wine for me :-P

• if my memory servers right Hetzner BF is no setup fees for dedicated, some credit for cloud.

Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • @ehab said:

ahaha, beat you to it :-P

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • we need to check the seconds : P

• I am waiting for them to remove setup fee, so even if they do that for AX series then i will be happy

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@seenu said:
    I am waiting for them to remove setup fee, so even if they do that for AX series then i will be happy

They removed the setup fee on AX 161, and reduced the price for 20 EUR.