ZAP-Hosting Lifetime Servers - Discussion, Updates

Comments

• @rubenmdh said:
    ZAP-Hosting dedicated servers are located in Eygelshoven, Germany, at combahton GmbH (AS30823) premises.

Eygelshoven is actually NL, which seems to be backhauled to Germany.
    Maybe explains the reason why, Eygelshoven has cheaper power.

• @Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:
    ZAP-Hosting dedicated servers are located in Eygelshoven, Germany, at combahton GmbH (AS30823) premises.

I was dubious at first, but you are indeed correct. I even remember seeing Eygelshoven (NL) when ordering a server from @Advin, which, coincidentally, is also apparently housed at Combahton.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

I was dubious at first, but you are indeed correct. I even remember seeing Eygelshoven (NL) when ordering a server from @Advin, which, coincidentally, is also apparently housed at Combahton.

The drawback is additional latency, if you have directly a server in frankfurt, the latency would be better.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Yes, Skylink NL in Eygelshoven =)

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Interesting indeed :D Not that it makes the server less attractive to me, though.

• @rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

https://zap-hosting.com/en/server-hosting/

As a "branch" of our data center in Frankfurt, the Tier III data center "SkyLink" in Eygelshoven (near Aachen, directly on the Dutch border) was introduced in March 2020. All traffic is routed via Frankfurt, so that our customers benefit from an optimal connection and DDoS Protection.

They write it a bit oddly elsewhere, even Eygelshoven followed by a German flag

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

As a "branch" of our data center in Frankfurt, the Tier III data center "SkyLink" in Eygelshoven (near Aachen, directly on the Dutch border) was introduced in March 2020. All traffic is routed via Frankfurt, so that our customers benefit from an optimal connection and DDoS Protection.

Perhaps, the server actually physically being located in NL might make it more DMCA friendly, however, ZAP is still a german company and it's at the border, so..

• @Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Perhaps, the server actually physically being located in NL might make it more DMCA friendly, however, ZAP is still a german company and it's at the border, so..

Cheap Power and Colocation.

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Cheap Power and Colocation.

Another benefit.

• Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited May 2023

@Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Most hosts in Skylink use them because they offer cheap power, space, and overall just good pricing, pretty much it, I don't think DMCA friendliness is a concern to ZAP but it might be an advantage to potential clients looking for a server in NL for the copyright laws :p

Although, more recently, the German police did "raid" or seized servers from a hosting company that resold servers from another host in Skylink (Eygelshoven): https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/03/german-police-raid-ddos-friendly-host-flyhosting/

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I am a representative of Advin Servers

@Advin said:

@Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Most hosts in Skylink use them because they offer cheap power, space, and overall just good pricing, pretty much it, I don't think DMCA friendliness is a concern to ZAP but it might be an advantage to potential clients looking for a server in NL for the copyright laws :p

Although, more recently, the German police did "raid" or seized servers from a hosting company that resold servers from another host in Skylink (Eygelshoven): https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/03/german-police-raid-ddos-friendly-host-flyhosting/

Yeah, I wouldn't use them for DMCA purposes anyway, just thought some people might. I also figured that a raid would pretty much go through seemleslly, though, since it's right at the border and ZAP is a german company anyway.
    Thanks for sharing the details regardless!

Overall, sounds like an economically attractive yet quite good DC.

• @Ympker said:

@Advin said:

@Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Yeah, I wouldn't use them for DMCA purposes anyway, just thought some people might. I also figured that a raid would pretty much go through seemleslly, though, since it's right at the border and ZAP is a german company anyway.

Well, what the news article is about is not exactly torrenting Linux ISOs. I guess any European place would have been raided.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@sgheghele said:

@Ympker said:

@Advin said:

@Ympker said:

@sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Neoon said:

@rubenmdh said:

Well, what the news article is about is not exactly torrenting Linux ISOs. I guess any European place would have been raided.

Haven't read it yet. Tldr?

• Thanks for this thread @Ympker
    I have registered for lxc server. The price is very competitive even for 1year. So anything beyond 1year is bonus.
    Lifetime deals are like investing in startups. Lots of hit and miss. So far my experience has been good.
    Kvm and dedi have specific hardware in the spec so they can be retired in future. Like under disguise of a security vulnerability. Lxc would survive in the kernel much longer. So hopefully lxc server will outlast others.
    But.... Only time will tell.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@mee2 said:
    Thanks for this thread @Ympker
    I have registered for lxc server. The price is very competitive even for 1year. So anything beyond 1year is bonus.
    Lifetime deals are like investing in startups. Lots of hit and miss. So far my experience has been good.
    Kvm and dedi have specific hardware in the spec so they can be retired in future. Like under disguise of a security vulnerability. Lxc would survive in the kernel much longer. So hopefully lxc server will outlast others.
    But.... Only time will tell.

Happy to hear :)
    Haha, funny that I was not the only one thinking that! :D I also got a Rootserver and a LXC and I always thought that one advantage of the LXC was that there was no CPU model assigned to it (so in the future it would just end up being migrated to new nodes with new hw :P ).

• edited May 2023

@Ympker said: Haven't read it yet. Tldr?

Besides advertising as a "Host here your cracks and malware" hosting provider, they provided DDoS-as-a-service. I guess that the German police had quite some warrants to raid it. It was not an average Joe torrenting stuff. It was actually a joint operation of Europol and the FBI.

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

@sgheghele said: It was a small adventure, but my server is up and running. Here is my report.

I had a similar thing with the dedicated. Ordered with Paypal and it just converted it to ZAP coins without actually buying the server. Then when I went to use the coins, they were greyed out.

Opened a ticket and to be fair to them, they replied within ~2 minutes of the ticket being opened allowing me to order using ZAP coins. Just installing the OS now :smile:

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.

• @rubenmdh said: is a 45€ Crucial MX500 500GB SATA3 drive with rated 180TBW endurance.

This consumer grade drive is a TLC SSD and has 512MB of SLC cache, and while I would have preferred at least two drives so I could RAID 1 them, it is decent enough.

I wonder what would happen when hardware (likely the SSD) fails. Is it end of life(time)?

• @sgheghele said:

@rubenmdh said: is a 45€ Crucial MX500 500GB SATA3 drive with rated 180TBW endurance.

This consumer grade drive is a TLC SSD and has 512MB of SLC cache, and while I would have preferred at least two drives so I could RAID 1 them, it is decent enough.

I wonder what would happen when hardware (likely the SSD) fails. Is it end of life(time)?

That's the question I asked. Lifetime of what? Hardware? User? ZAP hosting? Owner? A random housefly? :lol:

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Faulty/dead hardware gets replaced. Including the server itself - I checked this with them before ordering. :smile:

Thanked by (3)somik sgheghele Ympker

• @ialexpw said:
    Faulty/dead hardware gets replaced. Including the server itself - I checked this with them before ordering. :smile:

This is correct. The question that remains unanswered is for how long they will honour that.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

This is correct. The question that remains unanswered is for how long they will honour that.

I cannot imagine they'd change that term. I mentioned briefly, but it wouldn't make sense/be fair at all if they would not replace hardware due to each server being different (age, wear usage etc). Some may die within a year even if used lightly, while another may chug on for another 10.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• @ialexpw said:

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

I cannot imagine they'd change that term. I mentioned briefly, but it wouldn't make sense/be fair at all if they would not replace hardware due to each server being different (age, wear usage etc). Some may die within a year even if used lightly, while another may chug on for another 10.

What I meant is that they may discontinue the service at any point in time (as CloudAtCost already did) with little to no repercussion.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • @ialexpw said:

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

If they are unable to find the replacement parts anymore, that would be one reason to change terms.

@somik said:

@ialexpw said:

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

If they are unable to find the replacement parts anymore, that would be one reason to change terms.

As someone else mentioned, though, simply stopping to honor the lifetime product without adequate replacement would be an unfair, one-sided contract change which could be punished under EU (and highly likely german equivalent) law.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Ympker said:

@somik said:

@ialexpw said:

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

As someone else mentioned, though, simply stopping to honor the lifetime product without adequate replacement would be an unfair, one-sided contract change which could be punished under EU (and highly likely german equivalent) law.

Lifted from their TOS:

§3 Service
    (4) Zap-Hosting.com reserves the right to change or extend the offered service, according to how that may be required for improvement or how it may be facilitated or made necessary by technichal development. Zap-Hosting.com obligates itself to enact such changes within a reasonable frame for customers, respecting interests of Zap-Hosting.com.

§11 Final provisions
    (2) If a customer had his main residence or permanent dwelling in Germany at the moment of conclusion of the contract, and either moved it at the time of bringing a suit, or his or her domicile at that time are unknown, then the place of jurisdiction for all disputes is the venue of the consumer.

These two combined means they can change their contract at any time and as long as your residence is NOT in germany at the time of contract cancellation, the dispute is under your countries law, not the german law they need to follow.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited May 2023

@somik said:

@Ympker said:

@somik said:

@ialexpw said:

@rubenmdh said:

@ialexpw said:

Lifted from their TOS:

§3 Service
    (4) Zap-Hosting.com reserves the right to change or extend the offered service, according to how that may be required for improvement or how it may be facilitated or made necessary by technichal development. Zap-Hosting.com obligates itself to enact such changes within a reasonable frame for customers, respecting interests of Zap-Hosting.com.

§11 Final provisions
    (2) If a customer had his main residence or permanent dwelling in Germany at the moment of conclusion of the contract, and either moved it at the time of bringing a suit, or his or her domicile at that time are unknown, then the place of jurisdiction for all disputes is the venue of the consumer.

These two combined means they can change their contract at any time and as long as your residence is NOT in germany at the time of contract cancellation, the dispute is under your countries law, not the german law they need to follow.

Well, I am from Germany though and I'm very sure they can't just walk away leaving me with nothing unless they Deadpool.
    Another thing is that ToS, even though providers would wish so, isn't automatically legal. O2 had ToS where end users were limited in the usage of their unlimited sim cards (they had forbidden the plan to be used in routers iirc), however, EU court now finally ruled against them due to Endgerätefreiheit and now any restrictions they placed on their customers regarding this became void.

• rootroot OG
    edited May 2023

@Ympker said:
    O2 had ToS where end users were limited in the usage of their unlimited sim cards (they had forbidden the plan to be used in routers iirc), however, EU court now finally ruled against them due to Endgerätefreiheit and now any restrictions they placed on their customers regarding this became void.

So something like this can not stand in court? Interesting. I have something similar with Lycamobile in Ireland and as per their terms which does not allow any sharing.

You agree not to use the SIM Card or the Services and not to permit another person to use your SIM Card or the Services: in or connected to any other device including modems, dongles and tablet devices, or any other way to connect to a personal computer, which includes using your GSM mobile telephone as a WiFi hotspot in order to connect to multiple devises, and any other form of tethering activity

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Ympker said:
    O2 had ToS where end users were limited in the usage of their unlimited sim cards (they had forbidden the plan to be used in routers iirc), however, EU court now finally ruled against them due to Endgerätefreiheit and now any restrictions they placed on their customers regarding this became void.

So something like this can not stand in court? Interesting. I have something similar with Lycamobile in Ireland and as per their terms which does not allow any sharing.

You agree not to use the SIM Card or the Services and not to permit another person to use your SIM Card or the Services: in or connected to any other device including modems, dongles and tablet devices, or any other way to connect to a personal computer, which includes using your GSM mobile telephone as a WiFi hotspot in order to connect to multiple devises, and any other form of tethering activity

That just sucks. If we cant even expect ToS to hold up, then it's just sad. Then again, how many people will actually drag them into court over a few dollars? The legal fees doesn't make sense in most country and if the host is in a different country, good luck!

Thanked by (1)root