VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• The New York node 027 has been down for a few months without any activity. Is it possible to migrate it to another location? I suspect that the New York node 027 might be completely unresponsive and beyond recovery.

• @VirMach said:

@Artemis said:

@cybertech said:

@Artemis said:

@cybertech said:
    i think Virmach is busy with the master server issue at the moment

Really..... anyone knows how much issues per day they will meet? hahaha

too many.

I think if they really wanna to slove the problem, it just take minutes

the comment for this refugee plan is "An rotational working"
    Eg Tyoc 007 works for jan, feb mar
    tyoc 0029 works for apr may jun.....

Maybe virmach can make a rotational monthly plan instead of a refugee ones

Both of these nodes are 99.9% uptime over last 6 months and the issues you're describing would only have affected a small fraction of customers, mostly related to spamming re-install requests as it was facing problems. TYOC029 was more complicated, definitely not "minutes" to resolve. I don't know what you believe we're doing this entire time.

@FrankZ said:
    @virmach, I expect that @Artemis may be on TYOC029 which has not shown an update on the status page for a while.

We've been getting lots of tickets about it as it usually goes for Tokyo and this was done purposefully in this case. We just have to treat that location differently, as every update would bring in a bunch of tickets asking follow-up questions and it was a complicated matter that we were trying to avoid doing forced migrations to Los Angeles for as a quicker solution. We essentially had to go through every VM affected one by one multiple times and maybe spend an hour on each of them and then in the end most of them needed to get loaded back in carefully from disaster recovery backups, and a ton of other issues I don't want to get into but essentially 80-85% of people were online this entire time so it's not as large of an issue as something like LAX2Z019.

We could've left controls unlocked during the time if it wasn't a guaranteed crash every 6 hours from button mashing.

Apologize for my word and thank you for your hard working..
    As my experience , the VM works perfectly just in the first month.
    And my friend's other virmach machine mostly work 99% like you say.
    But mine has been down for about 1 month.
    I understand it is a refugee plan, and you are not the UN High Commissioner for Refugees
    Just hope it can online quickly.

Thank you :)

• @VirMach

I didn't login to the billing portal for a long time,

Then recently when I tried to use the ticketing system, I feel that maybe your side get a lot of stress from some abusers through ticketing system, so I don't want to disturb you there.

If you have time, may I ask could you please help to make IPv6 working on Tokyo node?

• JabJab
    edited August 2023

@XXSL said:
    If you have time, may I ask could you please help to make IPv6 working on Tokyo node?

There is no IPv6 for Tokyo, there is no IPv6 support at all. It was there in semi-deploy state, now it's totally not supported, don't ask, dont expect it to work.

https://billing.virmach.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/67/IPv6.html#:~:text=We do not officially offer,one, troubleshooting one, etc.

Thanked by (1)XXSL

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• edited August 2023

@Jab said: now it's totally not supported

I think maybe they started to lose patience and feel angry (I can feel that through the page design of ticketing system :p ) for the abusers (and as this kinds of situation passing, even normal users) buying Tokyo node while getting more and more stress from ticketing system, so they lose the motivation for improving product there.

What I can recommend is why not make the price a little bit higher and kick all the stupid abusers away to have a fresh and nice daily mood.

• Oh just realise the same issue... I have a VPS on LAX2Z019 also down now

Thanked by (1)admax
  • VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited August 2023

I've gone through and overhauled our code for a lot of the stuff we've mentioned in the past to refine it and make sure it all works better in edge cases. The updates being pushed out over the weekend. This should mean the controls correctly break if an issue is detected related to a disk overloading, everything generally performing more uniformly, and more scenarios accounted for automatically when it comes to these issues. It's still not the version 2.0 we wanted to do on it all but it's an improvement.

Hivelocity has decided to vaguely and without notice disable ports on Chicago2 and Tampa, which we contacted them about today shortly after they were disabled. They said it might be a billing issue, turned on ports, sent it to billing department, and the billing department brought down the ports again and also brought it down for LAX2, citing abuse issues.

They're completely incapable of properly using their own systems, instead for some reason deciding to open tickets on multiple systems, then not correctly marking it as resolved on all systems. More recently it looks like they decided to use their LEGACY ticket system, which sends us 0 emails, and is hidden away, to open copies of old abuse reports that were already handled, plus a few new ones. They sent us an email directly about some of these, which I responded to multiple weeks ago and they ignored. This is where I explained these issues to them of them sending it over and over and it already being resolved for the ones they contacted us about at the time. Keep in mind none of these threats were active and most were handled already such a long time ago that no service even existed, others were already in a suspended state. In any case these were only about a 12 reported cases of abuse over a period of three months (out of multiple thousand IPv4 addresses.) They could've nullrouted the IP addresses as they always mention they'll do or which they do before they even send us the report in the past, yet someone in this company had to go through all this and decide it was a good decision to disable ports with no notice, to the point where even internally the network engineer assisting us had no idea what was going on and for some reason the billing department had to step in to figure out what was going on, only to disable ports again and then ignore our response so far.

Anyway, just making this comment so you guys realize how insane the situation is in case you're wondering what happened today. Let's see how they proceed after I went down and let them know of this again. I don't want you thinking this was our doing.

For reference, the only way for us to have been able to see these reports would have been to click this button, which is supposed to be old tickets from several months ago only. No email because the legacy system is not used for communication.

• It's time to cancel Hivelocity and move everything to xTom.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@yoursunny said:
    It's time to cancel Hivelocity and move everything to xTom.

They're also refusing to allow us to come pick up our equipment it seems until it's been reviewed by someone else. I don't even want to pretend to understand in what way that's related to the abuse issue described above, assuming any of it was even valid, like there's going to be phantom abuse that occurs after we pick up our equipment and have it hosted elsewhere? What's their end goal? To leave absolutely no level of trust left?

It's so sad that all the talented individuals that work there are essentially turned into paperweights until the people that caused the problems come back in the next day to remove the excessive red tape. And of course once they do show up, we already know they will be incapable of showing any remorse or taking any responsibility, they're only experts at getting defensive and shifting blame.

Thanked by (1)lesuser
  • Chicago is down. Anyone else losing millions?

Thanked by (3)AuroraZero localhost ehab

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    Chicago is down. Anyone else losing millions?

Naw I lost my millions in the first second it twas down. I am now a hobo

Thanked by (1)root

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• edited August 2023

^ I have 2 VMs in Chicago - both CHIZ001 (un)fortunately - that are fine, for now.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @root said:

Chicago2 is down. Chicago original is up.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ yoursunny

@skorous said:

@root said:

Chicago2 is down. Chicago original is up.

Original Chicago best Chicago, until it goes down again for several days because of a non-existent denial of service attack.

Okay so the higher-ups responded, and they can't let us move our equipment out of HV, because the higher higher ups need to approve it since we have any term length on our contract, it's their hostage protocol of doing business or whatever. Except last time they screwed up they basically refused to fix anything and instead told us we could leave at any time we wanted to give false assurances. Pretty funny, I love Hivelocity.

• rootroot OG
    edited August 2023

@Hivelocity - care to comment?

How are you... online?

edited August 2023

Account manager finally got them to restore services after I told them whatever, if they want to lock us into an abusive relationship then at least restore the service. Seems like they were able to at least understand it makes no sense to both simultaneously not release service by saying we still have a duration left on our contract and not restoring the service.

They told us to again deal with the abuse, and I re-iterated everything I've been saying to a wall for the past 6 hours which is that it's already handled.

Having a phone call with them tomorrow, they love requesting to do phone calls and bringing people in to try to resolve things, they did it last time until they decided to just tell us to basically f*** off whenever we wanted an that they'd let us get out of the contract whenever, instead of resolving anything. I really don't care for all the pretend calls for them to say they care when they don't and they're unwilling and unable to turn into a decent company, but it'd be nice if they don't continue to exaggerate situations, make mistakes, and then pretend like it's an issue with us with all the gaslighting. I'd much rather they just leave us alone and understand we're not some evil company that loves abuse or wasting their time, their service is best when we just don't contact them for anything and the least they can do is just stop creating these scenarios where they pretend there's a problem when there's not. Like don't want to properly communicate abuse to us and want to use your legacy system that doesn't email us? Fine, we already get the abuse email copies ourselves and handle it elsewhere, just don't get upset if we don't respond to every legacy ticket or don't clarify a dozen times that we already handled the abuse report in June. Want us to leave? Sure, just don't act like it and then change your mind and say contract is renewed and even if we're under a contract don't threaten to hold our equipment hostage the entire time.

@root said:
    @Hivelocity - care to comment?

Careful, you might convince them to politely ask us to leave again. Except since that's exactly what we wanted to cash in this time, so they'll come up with something else. They've already tried out the Psychz and CC strategy though, so I'm not sure what's left over. It will be interesting.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited August 2023

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

Small shoutout to QN for willing to help us out in this situation and being able to get space ready for us tonight for the move that couldn't happen since we're not allowed to touch our own hardware at HV. We were mainly waiting on HV the whole time to confirm pickup time which turned into the "I can't let you do that" scenario.

I will say though I'm pleasantly surprised by the outcome at HV tonight, so I guess they deserve some recognition as well. I was totally expecting this to turn into a multi-day outage based on the communication up until that point. So thank you for not making it much worse, that's a huge improvement. I thought I'd have to get another 20 people involved before anything would begin to get resolved but they actually listened to us this time, all we had to do is get them to flip between what they weren't willing to give us until we got what we originally requested 6 hours ago.

It only took about 17 back and forths and 8 people on their end communicating with us this time. Okay I'm done.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said: Okay I'm done.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Wonder_Woman

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

I just transferred a couple of VMs to a friend and the transfer took just one hour to complete.
    :+1: :+1: for the VirMach customer service folks that handled my ticket, I'm in awe.

• somiksomik OG
    edited August 2023

@FrankZ said:
    I just transferred a couple of VMs to a friend and the transfer took just one hour to complete.
    :+1: :+1: for the VirMach customer service folks that handled my ticket, I'm in awe.

Dont worry, they'll make up for it with the downtime later. :lol:

Thanked by (2)VirMach sh97

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @VirMach - From your messages it is easy to pick up your frustration.
    Firstly I am very happy with your service (yes there are some of us that stay quiet) but some of your comments 'sound' like many of the frustrated comments raised by your own customers to you.
    Not trying to say you are wrong in your handling of HV or your customers, just pointing out that there are many similarities.

edited August 2023

@msatt said:
    @VirMach - From your messages it is easy to pick up your frustration.
    Firstly I am very happy with your service (yes there are some of us that stay quiet) but some of your comments 'sound' like many of the frustrated comments raised by your own customers to you.
    Not trying to say you are wrong in your handling of HV or your customers, just pointing out that there are many similarities.

I understand it may vaguely resemble that in terms of it taking longer than anticipated to resolve an issue maybe, but don't see the similarities anywhere else. Feel free to elaborate, but I don't recall instances where we purposefully break the networking on half of the customer's services over 0.2% of their IPv4 receiving abuse reports, without notice, because we failed to properly communicate something related to abuse, and then once we reply and evaluate the situation, we make it worse by blocking networking on the rest of the services instead of resolving the misunderstanding.

Keep in mind they understand we're not the end user. If we have people sign up for let's say a dedicated server, and they indicate they are subleasing to customers, we handle abuse requests differently in the first place to where they receive ample warning and opportunity to resolve the issue. Most important, we send it through a system that sends email notifications and we don't switch around communication channels without notice.

There's a difference between the issue being specifically caused manually by an employee of theirs, and then receiving responses telling us they cannot do anything about it and letting us know there's nothing that can be done and there being an outage out of their control that takes a long time, where they cannot provide us personal updates due to the severity. For example, although the fire at NYJ was unfortunately, we did not create tickets with multiple replies asking for an update on that scenario, but had it not been a fire and instead an event entirely caused by the provider, and they constantly replied adding new escalation requirements and making stuff up, with no one on their team knowing what happened or what's going to happen, then yes it'd be genuinely frustrating.

If we did ever make anyone feel this way feel free to bring it up so it can be addressed.

P.S. Remember we're paying them full price, and a significant price, for a product that was never advertised as having arbitrary weird policies such as not allowing us to grab our equipment if the contract was in effect, and not advertised as limited support or zero tolerance.

Thanked by (2)Wonder_Woman FrankZ

@FrankZ said:

I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point since for the past who knows how long I've been saying support will improve and we've caught up to a backlog only for another to exist, we've definitely streamlined things at least on our end to where we can better pick off tickets in the proper queues while avoiding obstacles.

But anyway you just got lucky this time around. We don't generally answer service transfer requests immediately, you just happened to catch a batch we processed.

• I realised that my VirMach server has higher GB score now, is everyone idling like me?

Thanked by (2)Wonder_Woman admax
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@FAT32 said:
    I realised that my VirMach server has higher GB score now, is everyone idling like me?

yes

Thanked by (2)FAT32 Wonder_Woman

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Kinda exhausted / tired with work, can anyone recommend what are some good things to do other than buying more idle VPS?

Thanked by (1)admax
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@FAT32 said:
    Kinda exhausted / tired with work, can anyone recommend what are some good things to do other than buying more idle VPS?

exercise and sun.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.