VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited October 2023

@jtk said:

@jtk said:
    So what if I told you a year later, even though it was migrated to a new network, hardware and addressing, the VM on the old network was still running?

Now is a good time to better explain this cryptic message from June. I have, though not for much longer,a 2019 BF VM from Virmach that was originally in the Buffalo location. After the migration away from ColoCrossing, this like all VirMach VMs changed addresses a few times. This one just happened to be one of the "unlucky" to have been caught in the looonnng outage associated with NYCB027.

Anyway, somehow, some way, even though VirMach was migrating this VM around and the ColoCrossing relation was no more, at some point later I noticed the original VirMach VM at ColoCrossing lived on. Same system, creds, address, config, etc. I couldn't manage it outside of remotely logging into it, but it ran up until a few weeks ago. This wasn't the only VM I had on NYCB027, but only this one lived on at ColoCrossing that I saw. Reminds me of the urban legend of the server walled over and running for years after.

So while it was annoying to have VMs offline for over 4 months, it was a small win that the original clone was still running in no man's land for more than a year.

I feel like I can start talking about these things a little bit now, but I'm only going to go off and provide a lucky "guess" based on what I know. Let's say there was a similar scenario where we had a customer, they cancelled their service, but we just didn't feel like processing that. We're the one who are supposed to take the service offline, as we do whenever we automatically suspend it or in this case power it down, stop the port, whatever. Now let's say we wanted to say you're still using it, we'd just leave it on, keep running the bill, maybe lock you out eventually. Any services powered down, maybe we just do a power maintenance or whatever else, and it goes back online. Wow, there's still activity going on, why are you lying and saying you're not using it? And we keep sending you the bill. Any IP addresses, we just leave it under your name. The only other option is we're incompetent and/or it took us over an entire year to sell this service to someone else, or hey maybe if someone is acquiring us, we can tell them we have all these servers running and they're not empty! The possibilities are endless, anything but processing the cancellation request.

Now if you had customers from time to time they would be confused, their original service just popped back online, they would keep using the old service and not renewing, so hey maybe we could do all this to hurt your company. And then they'd get upset when it goes down without notice eventually especially if they for some reason missed the part where it was moved elsewhere.

We'd be insanely evil if we did something like that though.

• @someTom said:

@Neoon said: Despite its unlocked state LAX1Z016 is still broken.

@DanSummer said:
    Yeah, mine came back online yesterday (LAX1Z016), still not accessible from the outside world though.

I'm on the same node and my VPS works now. Log in via VNC and check if the new IP was assigned. I had to do it manually ("repair network" button had no effect) and since then it works flawless.

Issue is, my old password to the server doesn't work and I've tried to change it from product area several times with no success - new password is generated but doesn't work. I tried from both panels with no luck.

Same password issue in rescue mode.

• I'm at the node NYCN035 (which was migrated from the offline NYCB027 a few months ago). I can access VNC, but I can't reach the external network. The IP address is 74.217...

• @DanSummer said:

@someTom said:

@DanSummer said:
    Yeah, mine came back online yesterday (LAX1Z016), still not accessible from the outside world though.

I'm on the same node and my VPS works now. Log in via VNC and check if the new IP was assigned. I had to do it manually ("repair network" button had no effect) and since then it works flawless.

Issue is, my old password to the server doesn't work and I've tried to change it from product area several times with no success - new password is generated but doesn't work. I tried from both panels with no luck.

Same node here and my VPS is working. One thing I noted is that the VPS was "restored from backup" and that backup was far from new. How old? I didn't bother checking, but the restored version was running a different OS version etc. Point of saying this is, if you changed your old password within the last 6 months, you might want to also try the one you had before that.

Thanked by (1)DanSummer
  • @tetech said:

@DanSummer said:

@someTom said:

@DanSummer said:

Same node here and my VPS is working. One thing I noted is that the VPS was "restored from backup" and that backup was far from new. How old? I didn't bother checking, but the restored version was running a different OS version etc. Point of saying this is, if you changed your old password within the last 6 months, you might want to also try the one you had before that.

I figured that could be the case. I went ahead and reinstalled the server (ubuntu 20.04). Installation went smoothly but the new password generated during reinstall doesn't work either.

• @VirMach said:
    Anyway @tulipyun you can now request this for DALZ007 if you want that.

Is this user specific or package specific. How can I request it

• edited October 2023

@VirMach said:

We're already working on this and I went over how the system would work but a the time people seemed mostly opposed to it, perhaps because I made it overcomplicated or for other reasons. But I think we can at least try to improve the page and have a barebones manual version of making this request. The issue is for manual version, we won't be able to do it for all plans, unless we start standardizing them.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear you guys are working on a plan to save DALZ007.

I'm in no hurry, I can wait until you guys come up with a suitable solution.

According to the guidelines on the Server Status page, I can't make that request because my service on DALZ007 is in the Special Offers - FLASH-SPECIAL product line.

But if your program requires test pilots, I'll be happy to help you with the testing, as I don't need to keep the data from DALZ007.

Thanked by (1)mxcco

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

• edited October 2023

@host4cheap said:

@VirMach said:

Is this user specific or package specific. How can I request it

You can follow the guidelines below:

Latest Update 10/14/23 -- we still have not received an update from Flexential. If you prefer, at this point in time if you have your own backups and just need your service restored, for standard services we can instead deploy your service in a nearby location quickly, likely in Atlanta. Please note, we can only do this for standard services and not any limited-time special services or legacy services that differ from our current product offerings, as it would complicate matters in relation to our ability to redeploy your service quickly. The plans that qualify would be our NVMe line (NVMe512, NVMe1G, etc) or SSD line (SSD512, SSD1G, etc) or KVM Lite (Value+, Elite+, etc.) The redeployment will also have your service extended per our SLA.

If you would like this done, create a priority ticket titled "Dallas Data Wipe & Redeployment" and confirm you have read the network status page and want to proceed with a redeployment without data to any available servers. Please note, if you select this option, we will not be able to retrieve your original server at a later date. If we're unable to assist you with this request, the ticket will be rejected. If this occurs, please do not open another request.

Remember, this is only for DALZ004 and DALZ007.

PS: You can see it on the official Server Status page.

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

• Anyone in LAXA024 ? mine is still offline, can't boot. Already tried to reinstall OS but it still can't boot.

• @jcolideles said:
    Anyone in LAXA024 ? mine is still offline, can't boot. Already tried to reinstall OS but it still can't boot.

I've got one there that looks to be having issues too. Mine was powered on, was sitting at unable to load os. I wondered if I left an iso mounted, so I went to unmount and reboot, but now it doesn't seem to be powering back on at all, just showing powered off.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • Hey it powered up at least now. Back to getting boot failure, not a bootable disk. I'm honestly not sure what I left on this or how long ago, it's a test system that I generally leave powered off and reinstall when I need it. I'll let you make a ticket for it, I'm sure they don't need multiple on it.

• edited October 2023

@tetech said: One thing I noted is that the VPS was "restored from backup" and that backup was far from new. How old? I didn't bother checking

My logs jump from 02/Aug/2023 to 14/Oct/2023 while UptimeRobot last saw the VPS online on 05/Sep/2023.
    So the backups were about one month old.

Thanked by (1)tetech
  • VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

SEAZ003 and SEAZ008 being worked on actively, they're back up. SEAZ010 next.

• @VirMach Dude, save DAL04. It has been gone for a long time, and all your attention is on Seattle.

• My formerly-Seattle server has returned, I am glad you placed all your attention on it.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@MallocVoidstar said:
    My formerly-Seattle server has returned, I am glad you placed all your attention on it.

Where is it now ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@MallocVoidstar said:
    My formerly-Seattle server has returned, I am glad you placed all your attention on it.

Where is it now ?

I think it's in San Jose.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • looking for crazy BF deals B)

• ATLZ007B, finally, after I don't know how long, I just became aware of the event. :p

• edited October 2023

@VirMach said:
    SEAZ003 and SEAZ008 being worked on actively, they're back up. SEAZ010 next.

When will it be tyo038's turn?

• My crazy DNS traffic dropped way off about 18:00 UTC yesterday, which makes me think they'll finally powered off DAL-Z004. (Or at least disconnected the outbound network, or crashed the host, etc.)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@JBB said:
    My crazy DNS traffic dropped way off about 18:00 UTC yesterday, which makes me think they'll finally powered off DAL-Z004. (Or at least disconnected the outbound network, or crashed the host, etc.)

So maybe Flexential has finally unracked these servers. Does not mean they shipped them. They are probably now under someones desk being used as a foot stool.

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@JBB said:
    My crazy DNS traffic dropped way off about 18:00 UTC yesterday, which makes me think they'll finally powered off DAL-Z004. (Or at least disconnected the outbound network, or crashed the host, etc.)

So maybe Flexential has finally unracked these servers. Does not mean they shipped them. They are probably now under someones desk being used as a foot stool.

You know how there's always that piece of equipment you've lost the rails for? These have been re-purposed as shelves to hold up that kind up equipment throughout the DC.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • FFME004.VIRM.AC got tits up 150x load

• Yeah my VPS is FFME004 down.

Some of my VPS in FFME005 are down too

• JabJab
    edited October 2023

@VirMach please help FFME004

• there, I opened priority ticket!-

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• BF specical sale ?

• @Jab said: @VirMach please help FFME004
    there, I opened priority ticket!-

20 minutes later, system back.
    Priority support fucking works

Thanks VirMach!

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said:
    20 minutes later, system back.
    Priority support fucking works

i want you as my vps neighbour

• @FrankZ said:

Yep, my VM on LAX2Z019 still times out in the panel. I expect that VirMach is a little behind on this projected resolution time due to fixing new IP related issues. Let's give him a little while longer to resolve this issue.

**LAX2Z019 LAX2Z019 **
    no progress whatsoever, been off for a long time