Hosthatch - partial Chicago downtime

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@TheDP said: That reminds me that I have a service transfer request that's been pending for almost 3 weeks now :joy:

Thanks @TheDP . That answers my was soon to be asked question, if transfer request take as long as most other tickets.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• Same issue here. No communication from HH either, had to contact them myself after 24 hours of downtime to figure out what was going on. I get the feeling this is a forced move to their cloud platform, they are really pushing me to start from scratch with a new VM with the same specs.

• Im sure @hosthatch have to improve response time... Actually the new cloud panel is way better and i like they are building https://docs.hosthatch.com/ ... For the price is hard to find this "in-house" benefits, plus the new server is "AMD EPYC 7551P 32-Core Processor" ... I hope they fix support, so im going to keep this server.

• @Freek said:
    I get the feeling this is a forced move to their cloud platform, they are really pushing me to start from scratch with a new VM with the same specs.

I have the exact same feeling. Problem is: the new cloud platform is in beta (under development), and it's not transparent for customers at all. You actually won't get the same specs, so be very careful with RAM, CPU and bandwidth - because these are not displayed in their panel (a bandwidth section is displayed, but it's beta and not working at all).

Thanked by (1)Freek

How are you... online?

• rootroot OG
    edited March 2022

@risturiz said:
    Im sure @hosthatch have to improve response time... Actually the new cloud panel is way better and i like they are building https://docs.hosthatch.com/ ... For the price is hard to find this "in-house" benefits, plus the new server is "AMD EPYC 7551P 32-Core Processor" ... I hope they fix support, so im going to keep this server.

Yes, they have to improve response time. However, it's been like this since 2020, so I can't keep my hopes high.

The new cloud panel indeed looks nicer, but it lacks essential functionalities and transparency. I like the old panel more and I honestly consider it way better, even though the new one has a nicer look.

For the price it is hard to find such benefits, but still... beta is not good when it's enforced. They could simply design a form in client area where people can opt-in to be transferred to beta, or maybe keep 2 panels which customers can switch like themes. After all, diversity of "in-house panels" is actually great.

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    For the price it is hard to find such benefits, but still... beta is not good when it's enforced. They could simply design a form in client area where people can opt-in to be transferred to beta, or maybe keep 2 panels which customers can switch like themes. After all, diversity of "in-house panels" is actually great.

In terms of money, i don't think they want to $maintain$ old panel... Maybe features like "vlan" don't work on old panel, so people gonna complain about "missing feature", etc etc... Not the best move to enforce beta panel, but you only use panel to reinstall xD

Thanked by (1)root
  • And now my Storage LAX cannot boot
    fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

Anyone else having trouble booting in LAX?

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited March 2022

@nyamenk said:
    And now my Storage LAX cannot boot
    fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

Anyone else having trouble booting in LAX?

oh fuck. im in LAX.

luckily still up.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Sad, looks like it's a different node

• Knock on wood.... Mine is still up.

• rootroot OG
    edited March 2022

LAX is now just like Chicago? Is this another RAID card failing, or is this is a pattern designed to force clients towards the new beta panel, where customers get less cloud resources (like me and other customers complaining), and where customers can't even see what they get (because "beta")?

A proper twist would create involucration; but I believe the world is not ready for that.

How are you... online?

@root said:
    LAX is now just like Chicago? Is this another RAID card failing, or is this is a pattern designed to force clients towards the new beta panel, where customers get less cloud resources (like me and other customers complaining), and where customers can't even see what they get (because "beta")?

A proper twist would create involucration; but I believe the world is not ready for that.

but how can they do this?

firstly they sold old plans with full disk size on old panel, now new panel is smaller disk size.

• rootroot OG
    edited March 2022

@cybertech said:
    firstly they sold old plans with full disk size on old panel, now new panel is smaller disk size.

It's not just disk size. It is also less RAM and likely less bandwidth (counter for bandwidth ain't working). The only good part would be that AMD processor.

How are you... online?

• All these problems have changed my mind; and I honestly loved HostHatch before.

I have the same feeling, some service is migrated from hh to other stable providers.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @root said:

@cybertech said:

It's not just disk size. It is also less RAM and likely less bandwidth (counter for bandwidth ain't working). The only good part would be that AMD processor.

You are right... My new server had only 512MB of RAM and they upgraded to 2GB after ticket (same with bandwidth)... I think they have "normal" plans and this one was special double or something, so they have to do manual upgrade. I see BW meter don't work at all "bug or feature?" xD

P.D. I don't work for @hosthatch or anything... Only telling my side :-)

edited April 2022

fuck mine in LAX is down too, looks like disk corrupted

• I just run fsck manually and everything is fine

@nyamenk said:
    I just run fsck manually and everything is fine

does it look like this?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@cybertech said:

@nyamenk said:

does it look like this?

Shouldn’t it be 1s and 0s????
    Oh, I see …. The disk is encrypted! Thats why you can’t see the 1s and 0s…..

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @cybertech said:

@nyamenk said:

does it look like this?

Nope. After running fsck

@mikho said:

@cybertech said:

@nyamenk said:

does it look like this?

Shouldn’t it be 1s and 0s????
    Oh, I see …. The disk is encrypted! Thats why you can’t see the 1s and 0s…..

it was my first xfs_repair, but I left it at that and hosthatch came in and helped with the repair too. now it's back online woohoo

Thanked by (4)mikho skorous nyamenk FrankZ

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

To be honest, quite fast ticket responses to my ticket. 4 hours for the first reply, which isn't too bad comparing to the people who have not be replied to for two weeks.

• rootroot OG
    edited April 2022

@lentro said:
    honest, quite fast ticket responses to my ticket. 4 hours for the first reply, which isn't too bad comparing to the people who have not be replied to for two weeks.

This thread was opened 2 weeks ago, because the issue was active 2 weeks ago. Meanwhile the issue got somewhat solved by moving the servers (with reduced specs) into a "beta" cloud platform (which even they call "beta"), but still... you get the idea, even if you waited for 2 weeks to open ticket.

Thanked by (3)lentro mikho FrankZ

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@lentro said:
    honest, quite fast ticket responses to my ticket. 4 hours for the first reply, which isn't too bad comparing to the people who have not be replied to for two weeks.

This thread was opened 2 weeks ago, because the issue was active 2 weeks ago. Meanwhile the issue got somewhat solved by moving the servers (with reduced specs) into a "beta" cloud platform (which even they call "beta"), but still... you get the idea, even if you waited for 2 weeks to open ticket.

Overall I still like HH but I am getting very worried by their silence and good but still 2nd rate BF2021 servers (compared to BF2020).

Thanked by (1)lentro
  • I like HH service too, but these slow responses are killings me :)

Hope @hosthatch can take a look to my +month old ticket #131665

Thanked by (3)FrankZ skorous Tin
  • @nfn said:
    Hope @hosthatch can take a look to my +month old ticket #131665

... and was solved! Nothing important, but they are listen 😉

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited April 2022

@risturiz said: In terms of money, i don't think they want to $maintain$ old panel

The old panel is based on SolusVM which as far as I know they want to get rid of, since it was holding them back.

@Tin said: good but still 2nd rate BF2021 servers (compared to BF2020).

I've got one of the BF2021 servers and actually really like it. It's noticeably faster than the BF2020 servers during normal use, both in CPU and in disk I/O.

Thanked by (2)Tin pikachu
  • @Daniel said:
    I've got one of the BF2021 servers and actually really like it. It's noticeably faster than the BF2020 servers during normal use, both in CPU and in disk I/O.

Nice! They mentioned having another flash sale when all the BF2021 chaos was over, hope they will do that soon. :-)

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited April 2022

@Tin said:

@Daniel said:

Nice! They mentioned having another flash sale when all the BF2021 chaos was over, hope they will do that soon. :-)

During BF2021 they had a one-day flash sale with all of the BF2020 deals! I'm sure they'll have another flash sale again at some point.

I originally thought the BF2021 deals weren't great and I think I even posted a comment about that here somewhere. However, after thinking about it for a while, I really did like the deals. The thing is that their new servers must have cost them a lot - The processor alone is $1400ish retail (closer to $2000 during the peak of the shortage), ECC DDR4 is still expensive, plus Gen4 NVMe drives, etc. so the fact that they were able to reach their BF2021 price point is quite impressive. In terms of price to performance ratio, I feel like only the German providers like Contabo can compete, and they're far more oversold and feel slower than the HostHatch VPSes. Other providers at a similar price point still have 7 to 10 year old Xeons that have definitely outlived their intended lifespan :smile:

Thanked by (2)skorous Tin
  • hosthatchhosthatch Hosting Provider

@Freek said: get the feeling this is a forced move to their cloud platform

Anyone can request to stay in the older platform if you feel that works better. We use newer, more expensive hardware with the new cloud platform for the most part, so we're actually happy if you stay in the old one.

Some of the things that are also available in the new panel:

• completely redesigned custom ISO, which actually works very well.
    • VLAN based private networking
    • routed IPv6
    • SSH keys (coming soon)
    • snapshots (coming soon)

It pretty much allows us to do whatever we want to do, while also being able to do it the best way possible.

You will find a bunch of comments around that say "Pressing boot does not work" or "ISO does not mount".....that is because SolusVM API was never really designed to be used on our scale. Most of these basic problems (I know it seems small but it's not) are now fixed.

Developing your own platform (and doing it right), and maintaining it costs faaaaar more than SolusVM ever will. It will probably be 4-5+ years before we reach our ROI on it compared to using SolusVM with it's $10/node/month pricing. I know it's usually thought in these parts that human cost is free, but it's the single most expensive cost of running our business.

Also - 11th April today, which means 11 years in business today :)