Das abo KYC

13»

Comments

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    @rcy026 said:

    @ascicode said:
    They could answer in own thread only.

    This might not be a bad idea.
    Get bad karma and you will only be able to answer in your own thread, not start new ones and not reply in others. If your karma does not approve in a certain timespan, you will get banned. This would allow for a discussion to be held and it would give the user a possibility to see the errors of his way and possibly change and repent.

    I like the "leaky bucket" idea too. Maybe combined with a three strike rule so that if you hit bad karma three times, the bucket stops leaking and you are permanently out.

    Yeah i will implement something along these lines for sure, I will probably get strate don it next week, feeling rough at the moment, brain is not braining.

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • @poei said:

    @ExtaHost said: I mention this because their brand name is "Dasabo" which is a German phrase. "Das Abo" which means "The Subscription".

    That might be coincidental, but I'm pretty sure Dasabo is just from the first two letters of his name(s) Davide Salvatore Boccone.

    Hah! Wow! What an interesting coincidence!

    https://extahost.com/
    VPS & Dedicated Servers
    Ashburn, VA - Spokane, WA - Buffalo, NY

  • ExtaHostExtaHost Provider
    edited September 16

    @rcy026 said:

    @ascicode said:
    They could answer in own thread only.

    This might not be a bad idea.
    Get bad karma and you will only be able to answer in your own thread, not start new ones and not reply in others. If your karma does not approve in a certain timespan, you will get banned. This would allow for a discussion to be held and it would give the user a possibility to see the errors of his way and possibly change and repent.

    I like the "leaky bucket" idea too. Maybe combined with a three strike rule so that if you hit bad karma three times, the bucket stops leaking and you are permanently out.

    Yeah, but honestly, if you terminate a service someone has paid for long term without refunding the unused portion, that’s a scam in my opinion. Putting it in your ToS doesn’t automatically make it legal, and I doubt “they agreed to our terms” would be much of a defence in court.

    Having a ToS doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want.

    Note: Of course if the user does something to obtain a legitimate suspension that is up to the decision of the host.... but a blanket KYC.... that would be unreasonable to refund.

    https://extahost.com/
    VPS & Dedicated Servers
    Ashburn, VA - Spokane, WA - Buffalo, NY

  • @ExtaHost said:

    @rcy026 said:

    @ascicode said:
    They could answer in own thread only.

    This might not be a bad idea.
    Get bad karma and you will only be able to answer in your own thread, not start new ones and not reply in others. If your karma does not approve in a certain timespan, you will get banned. This would allow for a discussion to be held and it would give the user a possibility to see the errors of his way and possibly change and repent.

    I like the "leaky bucket" idea too. Maybe combined with a three strike rule so that if you hit bad karma three times, the bucket stops leaking and you are permanently out.

    Yeah, but honestly, if you terminate a service someone has paid for long term without refunding the unused portion, that’s a scam in my opinion. Putting it in your ToS doesn’t automatically make it legal, and I doubt “they agreed to our terms” would be much of a defence in court.

    Having a ToS doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want.

    Note: Of course if the user does something to obtain a legitimate suspension that is up to the decision of the host.... but a blanket KYC.... that would be unreasonable to refund.

    I was speaking generally about the idea of karma points and a "leaking bucket" system, it was not meant to be in defense of Dasabo or their KYC debacle.

  • LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    They gone done did it. Even with my already legit payment and address linked to that payment (with Stripe), Dasabo still cancelled my account and services I already paid for in full. Vague reasoning and zero refund.

    Davide Salvatore Boccone operating as Dasabo, is a scammer, and thief.

    I was eating sardines before it was trendy.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG
    edited September 18

    @poei said:
    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    They gone done did it. Even with my already legit payment and address linked to that payment (with Stripe), Dasabo still cancelled my account and services I already paid for in full. Vague reasoning and zero refund.

    Davide Salvatore Boccone operating as Dasabo, is a scammer, and thief.

    Seems so.

    I think I would have banned him for this anyway, so the downvotes just got to the right decision faster.

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • There's what a TOS says, and there's what's actually legal. And then there's acting in good faith and doing what's right. I think sometimes people get into a "legal" mindset and think just because they can get away with something, that makes it right.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    I think there is probably a cybercrime department somewhere that wants to know about all of this.

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • rip sonicfast, rip dasabo

    LumanexAI: Our in-house AI model for free 🚀

  • edited September 18

    @c1vhosting said:
    rip sonicfast, rip dasabo

    Wondering what provider the ex-dasabo customers should choose next. Any idea?

    BTW DeluxHost is also in Pomezia, it's your chance to take a 5 minutes walk to his place, knock on his door, and knock him out for good while still a baby, before he rises to power and casts a shadow over humanity.

  • edited September 18

    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    LumanexAI: Our in-house AI model for free 🚀

  • @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    Post it, for documentation.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    I fully encourage you to start a Dasabo refugee post.

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • msattmsatt ProviderOG

    @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    There was nothing wrong with your comments. I am sorry your participation has caused such an action. ☹️

    Get your FREE VPS if you develop Open Source software

  • Is the downvoted ban permanent?

    Wonder how much time is needed for people to give a provider a second (third, fourth, ...) chance in these types of scenarios. I was not and never plan to be one of their customers, so my interest is just out of curiosity.

  • @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    Well, you have to post it now!

  • @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    Have you tried, putting into an A.I and asking the A.I, to write a polite, "go fuck yourself" reply?

  • @Neoon said:

    @c1vhosting said:
    Just for transparency: today we received a formal cease-and-desist letter (very likely AI written) from DASABO, just for commenting in this thread.
    As far as our participation here is concerned, our intention has only been to participate in discussions and, where relevant, offer our services as an alternative.

    This guy must be joking 🤦‍♂️

    Have you tried, putting into an A.I and asking the A.I, to write a polite, "go fuck yourself" reply?

    Does it have to be polite?

  • @davide said:

    @c1vhosting said:
    rip sonicfast, rip dasabo

    Wondering what provider the ex-dasabo customers should choose next. Any idea?

    BTW DeluxHost is also in Pomezia, it's your chance to take a 5 minutes walk to his place, knock on his door, and knock him out for good while still a baby, before he rises to power and casts a shadow over humanity.

    I can never trust anyone named Davide after this. I'm sorry you are a victim by proxy. /s

    I was eating sardines before it was trendy.

  • Seeing the Dasabo ads still on the site is funny. They could be removed, even if they have been paid for already.

    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    If they were paid for with money, then @AnthonySmith keeps the money and does what he pleases with it. If they were paid for with karma points, then they could be redistributed in the form of some kind of silly giveaway contest.

    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Amirite?

    I was eating sardines before it was trendy.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    @poei said:
    Seeing the Dasabo ads still on the site is funny. They could be removed, even if they have been paid for already.

    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    If they were paid for with money, then @AnthonySmith keeps the money and does what he pleases with it. If they were paid for with karma points, then they could be redistributed in the form of some kind of silly giveaway contest.

    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Amirite?

    I did the right thing, it was paid for and it was honoured, I reached out and offered a refund, I got no response, the subscription was cancelled.

    It will be gone soon enough.

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • @poei said:
    If they were paid for with karma points, then they could be redistributed in the form of some kind of silly giveaway contest.

    Like, a raffle for the last Flan 🍮?

    We accept Karma donations for the last flan. 🍮 affbrr

  • ExtaHostExtaHost Provider
    edited September 20

    @poei said:
    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    They gone done did it. Even with my already legit payment and address linked to that payment (with Stripe), Dasabo still cancelled my account and services I already paid for in full. Vague reasoning and zero refund.

    Davide Salvatore Boccone operating as Dasabo, is a scammer, and thief.

    I hope you file a police report and file a chargeback with your bank. Everyone should do this if they paid via card/bank.

    This is truly upsetting. I am a much smalller host (I think?) and I would never do such a thing if I had to "enable KYC". Just absurd.

    https://extahost.com/
    VPS & Dedicated Servers
    Ashburn, VA - Spokane, WA - Buffalo, NY

  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Personally I think it was a mistake to ban him, it takes away any opportunity to communicate, VirMach is a rough example.

    I think I am going to have to review the system, maybe either increase the threshold or change the action.

    IMO I think the system may need a bit of reviewing here, feels wrong that him standing on his words and by whatever policy they have means enough crowd vote down's gets him into the slammer. Gives me StackOverflow/Reddit down-voting-you-loser vibe, and overall I like this community, love lurking and responding where my input can improve the conversation. Don't get me wrong, my personal view on how Dasabo responded, wasn't loving it but we all have our own opinions, this action karma points should do something like limit something for period of time, just my two cents.

  • @AnthonySmith said:

    @poei said:
    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    They gone done did it. Even with my already legit payment and address linked to that payment (with Stripe), Dasabo still cancelled my account and services I already paid for in full. Vague reasoning and zero refund.

    Davide Salvatore Boccone operating as Dasabo, is a scammer, and thief.

    Seems so.

    I think I would have banned him for this anyway, so the downvotes just got to the right decision faster.

    This, I can get behind, but the Karma system itself the community being able to put you into exile, that seems like something that could be abused..

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    @PacketraOliver said:

    @AnthonySmith said:

    @poei said:
    LowEndSpirit - VPS Hosting and tech forum

    They gone done did it. Even with my already legit payment and address linked to that payment (with Stripe), Dasabo still cancelled my account and services I already paid for in full. Vague reasoning and zero refund.

    Davide Salvatore Boccone operating as Dasabo, is a scammer, and thief.

    Seems so.

    I think I would have banned him for this anyway, so the downvotes just got to the right decision faster.

    This, I can get behind, but the Karma system itself the community being able to put you into exile, that seems like something that could be abused..

    yep its changing

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • @PacketraOliver said:

    @AnthonySmith said:
    Personally I think it was a mistake to ban him, it takes away any opportunity to communicate, VirMach is a rough example.

    I think I am going to have to review the system, maybe either increase the threshold or change the action.

    IMO I think the system may need a bit of reviewing here, feels wrong that him standing on his words and by whatever policy they have means enough crowd vote down's gets him into the slammer. Gives me StackOverflow/Reddit down-voting-you-loser vibe, and overall I like this community, love lurking and responding where my input can improve the conversation. Don't get me wrong, my personal view on how Dasabo responded, wasn't loving it but we all have our own opinions, this action karma points should do something like limit something for period of time, just my two cents.

    i don't like the idea of downvotes leading to ban, possibly because i'm blunt and opinionated.. but imo this guy is a genuine crook and enabling him to harvest more innocent idiots from the community seems like a bad choice. on the other hand, his next scam will also probably be highly entertaining so nevermind i guess.

    I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorProviderOG

    @zed said:

    @PacketraOliver said:

    @AnthonySmith said:
    Personally I think it was a mistake to ban him, it takes away any opportunity to communicate, VirMach is a rough example.

    I think I am going to have to review the system, maybe either increase the threshold or change the action.

    IMO I think the system may need a bit of reviewing here, feels wrong that him standing on his words and by whatever policy they have means enough crowd vote down's gets him into the slammer. Gives me StackOverflow/Reddit down-voting-you-loser vibe, and overall I like this community, love lurking and responding where my input can improve the conversation. Don't get me wrong, my personal view on how Dasabo responded, wasn't loving it but we all have our own opinions, this action karma points should do something like limit something for period of time, just my two cents.

    i don't like the idea of downvotes leading to ban, possibly because i'm blunt and opinionated.. but imo this guy is a genuine crook and enabling him to harvest more innocent idiots from the community seems like a bad choice. on the other hand, his next scam will also probably be highly entertaining so nevermind i guess.

    It is super hard to get the right balance.

    I did a lot of work to try and make the community self-governing to a large degree, but fully accepted that the numbers and ratios might not be perfect and need to be tweaked as we go.

    So far, he is the only member banned by the new measures, and what he did would have resulted in a ban anyway because I have seen screenshots shared privately showing people with genuine details in the system that got hit with this, so technically, this new system worked exactly as it should have, but with no previous data and now a dataset of 1, it's hard to call that an achievement.

    Nevertheless, it brought about some good debate in a healthy way, and when I have time (very soon) I will finish the tweaks.

    Soon it will be: the first stroke AFTER a warning is a 7 day suspension, then if it happens again, another 7-day suspension (after another warning), then 1 final warning, then a ban, at which point I will get a PM telling me who got banned and a breakdown of who downvoted them and where, so if someone just dug up every comment ever to start downvoting, I will know it was an attack; I can then, within seconds, see if I need to undo the ban and instead ban the person attacking them.

    So a human will always get sight of any permanent bans, but ultimately if the community as a whole constantly downvotes you, you fail to adapt, then you are probably not a good fit, and the right thing is happening.

    Honestly, I don't think we need all these safety nets. Under normal use (remember this is not LET), it's actually pretty hard to get banned without doing something to deserve it, but it seems apparent that the community as a whole is uneasy having it fully automated,

    TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
    FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/

  • You could adjust downvotes scale higher. But if theres allready over 50, there isnt much room to let users stay unbanned.

  • @AnthonySmith said: Honestly, I don't think we need all these safety nets. Under normal use (remember this is not LET), it's actually pretty hard to get banned without doing something to deserve it, but it seems apparent that the community as a whole is uneasy having it fully automated,

    I think the 7 days, 7 days, last warning, ban is a nice way that way if you truly wish to redeem yourself you learn, and you are right, community as a whole is uneasy about fully automation because it always leaves room for that abuse. I like also the aspect of you being able to figure out if it was an attack on the person to bring them down. Look at Hetzner's abuse automation, it's atrocious, they are very well aware of their tool sending out "register a statement in 24 hours" on even things that arent true. There have been numerous reddit posts about it and their team is aware that the automation tool has been abused. Anything fully automated without human oversight, especially meant to take action can be abused, but if the final word ends at "Anthony" now that's much better way.

Sign In or Register to comment.