Cloudflare user interface down

Another hick-up.

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

" Cloudflare has identified the root cause as related to a database replication issue due to a configuration error. It was not related to any outside event or traffic. We are working on fully restoring the database cluster. In the interim, we have restored functionality to most services with replicas but users will see increased latency and intermittent issues in the dashboard that in most cases will be addressed with retry. We will provide another update in 60 minutes."

BikeGremlin I/O
Mostly WordPress ™

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon
Tagged:

Comments

  • It's up now

  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited November 2020


    I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

  • Cloudflop.

    Create an account on Dynadot via my referral link and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!

  • @Neoon said:

    I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

    This was a control panel problem - routing and caching kept on working, you just couldn't edit any options (I had just finished a website migration, wouldn't have noticed it otherwise).

    In terms of reliability it's far from bad. Regardless of the price (which is free - for the basic service).
    Could you recommend a better free solution?

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • @thedp said:
    Cloudflop.

    Actually, Clownflare

  • @valkyrie said:

    @thedp said:
    Cloudflop.

    Actually, Clownflare

    Confirmed, ClownFlop

  • @bikegremlin said:

    @Neoon said:

    I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

    This was a control panel problem - routing and caching kept on working, you just couldn't edit any options (I had just finished a website migration, wouldn't have noticed it otherwise).

    In terms of reliability it's far from bad. Regardless of the price (which is free - for the basic service).
    Could you recommend a better free solution?

    Hurricane Electric's free dns (dns.he.net) pretty good, wanna use them for slave zone but I already have that ovh. I would recommend you this.

    Cloudns, hostry, etc...

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @valkyrie said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    @Neoon said:

    I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

    This was a control panel problem - routing and caching kept on working, you just couldn't edit any options (I had just finished a website migration, wouldn't have noticed it otherwise).

    In terms of reliability it's far from bad. Regardless of the price (which is free - for the basic service).
    Could you recommend a better free solution?

    Hurricane Electric's free dns (dns.he.net) pretty good, wanna use them for slave zone but I already have that ovh. I would recommend you this.

    Cloudns, hostry, etc...

    Cloudflare does more than just DNS.
    In terms of DNS alone - do you think this comparison is objective:
    https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-providers,World,uptime

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

    @Neoon said: I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

    Alternatives that provide the same advantages? (I pay for CF)

    Thanked by (1)vimalware

    https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @AnthonySmith said:

    @Neoon said: I like that one.

    Speaking of CF @AnthonySmith would be a good move to disable it finally.

    Alternatives that provide the same advantages? (I pay for CF)

    Why do you need CF?
    I don't get the benefits of using it.

  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2020

    @Neoon said: Why do you need CF?

    I don't get the benefits of using it.

    Better routing, better compression, delivers pages faster, an additional layer of DDOS protection, an additional layer of security, railgun+argo.

    Sure I could achieve some of that myself, but this is not what I do, I prefer to pay to have it taken care of so that I can focus on what I do rather than having the ever-evolving task of security and optimisation for a forum I personally pay to exist to begin with :)

    Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vimalware

    https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @AnthonySmith said:

    @Neoon said: Why do you need CF?

    I don't get the benefits of using it.

    Better routing, better compression, delivers pages faster, an additional layer of DDOS protection, an additional layer of security, railgun+argo.

    Sure I could achieve some of that myself, but this is not what I do, I prefer to pay to have it taken care of so that I can focus on what I do rather than having the ever-evolving task of security and optimisation for a forum I personally pay to exist to begin with :)

    Plus faster, and easier website migrations.
    For example, with CF, you are keeping the same nameservers, just changing the IP-s - and the propagation of the change, when using Cloudflare, is usually within minutes.

    I only use the free services - and they work fine.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited November 2020

    @bikegremlin said:

    Plus faster, and easier website migrations.
    For example, with CF, you are keeping the same nameservers, just changing the IP-s - and the propagation of the change, when using Cloudflare, is usually within minutes.

    I only use the free services - and they work fine.

    You must be joking right? You always keep the same nameservers if you host it or have a different host like CF.
    No reason to justify the usage of Cloudflare, besides the manipulate DNS results, a few times already.

    @AnthonySmith said:

    @Neoon said: Why do you need CF?

    I don't get the benefits of using it.

    Better routing,

    Well, I happen to have a first hand experience, where CF is total dogshit.
    Basically, the Port from my ISP to CF is overloaded, most of the day.

    Does CF reroute? no, since months.

    better compression

    I mean you can just enable that in nginx/apache right? how is CF better?

    an additional layer of DDOS protection

    You feed the devil here, they break TLS, to do that.
    Which boils down to, CF knows all your passwords etc....

    If you really get DDoSed and have no other choice yes, but did LES every did DDoS so it justifies it? I see a big no.
    But you need to know it better, since you run it.

    an additional layer of security

    Security is an ongoing process, people that put there site behind CF, and hope its bulletproof, that is bullshit.
    That's no the case, if you keep everything up to date, unlikely that it will happen, but if it does, sure CF won't even help you.

    railgun+argo.

    See my point above, LES is slow a few times a day, due to the overloaded port to CF.
    HostBalls ins the ONLY forum not behind CF and works flawless 24/7 a day.

    Argo does not seem to fix shit, in my point of view.
    They are more than able, to run javascript or do measurements to reroute but its not going to happen.

    Sure I could achieve some of that myself, but this is not what I do, I prefer to pay to have it taken care of so that I can focus on what I do rather than having the ever-evolving task of security and optimisation for a forum I personally pay to exist to begin with :)

    For me, its lazyness, 90% of the stuff can be done, on the webserver itself, the rest is done if you really need it by a CDN.

  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

    @Neoon said: For me, its lazyness, 90% of the stuff can be done, on the webserver itself

    I absolutely agree with you, but this way I can essentially set and forget and it works well for 99% of the people 99% of the time with no extra effort from me.

    If this is what I did all day then sure, I would change all of that and do it myself, but you know its kind of like that developer meme that went something like:

    "I have a great idea, I need to start a blog about it. I will just spend 6 months writing a blogging platform first".... 12 months later, "Why did I write this again?" I am more interested in just getting on with the idea.

    When I have more time I agree it warrants reconsidering if you had the volume of hate being spat at you from the LE* die hard trolls and the wankers in charge themselves you would want a bit of extra DDOS protection I assure you, Identity theft and online fraud is a day in the office for Jon, I am sure throwing a few bucks a month at a ready-made botnet DDOS army is not something he would bat an eye lid at.

    I totally understand your perspective and in the future, it will become a reality here too, but right now this works for me, Cloudflare is the £1000 junk car to get me through the year so I can spend time fixing my own car.

    https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

  • @Neoon said:

    @bikegremlin said:

    Plus faster, and easier website migrations.
    For example, with CF, you are keeping the same nameservers, just changing the IP-s - and the propagation of the change, when using Cloudflare, is usually within minutes.

    I only use the free services - and they work fine.

    You must be joking right? You always keep the same nameservers if you host it or have a different host like CF.
    No reason to justify the usage of Cloudflare, besides the manipulate DNS results, a few times already.

    @AnthonySmith said:

    @Neoon said: Why do you need CF?

    I don't get the benefits of using it.

    Better routing,

    Well, I happen to have a first hand experience, where CF is total dogshit.
    Basically, the Port from my ISP to CF is overloaded, most of the day.

    Does CF reroute? no, since months.

    better compression

    I mean you can just enable that in nginx/apache right? how is CF better?

    an additional layer of DDOS protection

    You feed the devil here, they break TLS, to do that.
    Which boils down to, CF knows all your passwords etc....

    If you really get DDoSed and have no other choice yes, but did LES every did DDoS so it justifies it? I see a big no.
    But you need to know it better, since you run it.

    an additional layer of security

    Security is an ongoing process, people that put there site behind CF, and hope its bulletproof, that is bullshit.
    That's no the case, if you keep everything up to date, unlikely that it will happen, but if it does, sure CF won't even help you.

    railgun+argo.

    See my point above, LES is slow a few times a day, due to the overloaded port to CF.
    HostBalls ins the ONLY forum not behind CF and works flawless 24/7 a day.

    Argo does not seem to fix shit, in my point of view.
    They are more than able, to run javascript or do measurements to reroute but its not going to happen.

    Sure I could achieve some of that myself, but this is not what I do, I prefer to pay to have it taken care of so that I can focus on what I do rather than having the ever-evolving task of security and optimisation for a forum I personally pay to exist to begin with :)

    For me, its lazyness, 90% of the stuff can be done, on the webserver itself, the rest is done if you really need it by a CDN.

    Time + costs + needed level of knowledge and expertise.
    That's what it boils down to.

    I've been using CF for two years now, and it's been fine. They had one hick-up, fixed it, explained what they did to prevent it from re-occuring. Basically, the same as with any decent hosting provider - problems can, and will happen, just boils down to whether it's something usual, or a rare exception.

    Sorry if you've had bad experience. Mine has been OK so far. If that changes - I will look for other solutions, but for now, for me at least, CF is more good than bad.

    Thanked by (1)vimalware

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • edited November 2020

    Well, there's always $120/TB GCP egress if you want PREMIUM.

    Cloudflare is fine by me as long as the site is using Full SSL(strict). I don't like content MiTM on principle.
    I guess Argo does this?

  • @vimalware said:
    Well, there's always $120/TB GCP egress if you want PREMIUM.

    Cloudflare is fine by me as long as the site is using Full SSL(strict). I don't like content MiTM on principle.
    I guess Argo does this?

    I think CF always does the MITM - can't function otherwise.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • @bikegremlin said:

    @vimalware said:
    Well, there's always $120/TB GCP egress if you want PREMIUM.

    Cloudflare is fine by me as long as the site is using Full SSL(strict). I don't like content MiTM on principle.
    I guess Argo does this?

    I think CF always does the MITM - can't function otherwise.

    Yes, it always does it if you proxy traffic.
    The main reason for everything.

Sign In or Register to comment.