Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@exp said:
    But since this is a restore, shouldnt DA just restore with the original names? Or is this because theyre relative names?

You still need to change your wp_config.php to match, IF it's restored the DB correctly under your user, or rename the tables.

How do I change the db names? Should I just wait for @MikePT to reply to my ticket?

USE `goopergeiger`;
    RENAME TABLE `domain2_wp123` to `domain2_wp123`;

I strongly consider spending a couple minutes to learn some basic SQL- it'll help you in the future when some new 0-day WordPress exploit hits you.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@exp said:
    @Francisco would it be possible to suggest to @DA_Mark to preserve and restore DB names during backup and restore? Since currently DB names are treated as relative names and uses account name as its prefix. Is there a way to rename DB names in DA?

I pointed him to these forums.

I think the main issue is that in the case of cPanel they have a map of username->database, that way you can have cases of someone having a completely different prefixed database to their actual username.

I think DirectAdmin likely splits things at the 1st underscore and makes sure it matches the username.

A map of databases would be useful but would likely require a fairly serious overhaul of DA.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@exp said:

@WSS said:
    If it's a subdomain/alias, there will likely be more things to rectify- I can't say I have tried to do a cpanel subdomain to directadmin primary at any time without doing so manually.

You are correct :/ DA restored the DB with prefix of current account name! Like domain2_wp123 since my login name in myw is domain2

In my previous host, login name was domain1 which was my original domain before it was changed to domain2. So correct db name is domain1_wp123

But since this is a restore, shouldnt DA just restore with the original names? Or is this because theyre relative names?

How do I change the db names? Should I just wait for @MikePT to reply to my ticket?

I can have a look at it :)

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

It is not something I see from the admin side of backup/restore but when users have migrated to me their username prefixes differed and I've had a few support requests regarding syncing their database names. So +1 on the interest, but not a deal breaker.

• edited December 2019

EDIT: A rename database function might be useful in MYSQL Manager (and an out of the box auto-login for phpmyadmin too). Any automated manipulation of the usename portion is a bad idea, IMO, and likely to throw up more issues. I agree with WSS with regards to manually renaming databses/adjusting config files to match.
    The standard import routine should allow database names to be restored unaltered, IMHO. If that means raising the default name length restriction, then so be it.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• AlwaysSkint said: an out of the box auto-login for phpmyadmin too

This. Or even a hint that it's the database login you use not your DA login to access phpMyAdmin.

The issue surely with importing database names unchanged is someone else might have that table name in use.

• @Mr_Tom said: The issue surely with importing database names unchanged is someone else might have that table name in use.

That shouldn't be the case where existing databases have a username matched prefix. The whole point of doing so, in the first place.

• AlwaysSkint said: That shouldn't be the case where existing databases have a username matched prefix.

True, but in the problem earlier the username was different IIRC?

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

For occasions like that, there are also db migration plugins or even AIO Wp migration/updraft plus to avoid such issues :) Although editing the config is not much of a problem ofc.

• edited December 2019

@Mr_Tom said: True, but in the problem earlier the username was different IIRC?

If and only if, the automated restore is being done using a different username (is that possible?), then the prefix should be changed to match - assuming all control panels use the same convention (which they don't). If restricted to WHM/cPanel restores, then AFAIK, they all have a username prefix.
    Of course, if you're restoring manually ie. no account auto-create, then really you should have the knowledge to make any required changes yourself. If not, get someone who knows what they are doing.

• flipsflips OG
    edited December 2019

Probably stupid question: But when I change DNS servers for a domain (hosted at a DA server), from the DNS hosted/controlled by DA to some 3rd party nameservers.
    Then delegation is setup at the registrar, and the world see my changes without issues.

But does DA itself also always check DNS properly (as in asking the root servers), or does it somehow assume that "all my domain belong to my own DNS"? (I assume it's using the OS resolver and ignoring it's own DNS as long as no NS delegation is done to it's own servers. So I'm just double checking.) :)

Martynas is not over here but he posted about this over "there".

New icon theme pack and new dark mode theme option available in the current Pre-Release.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @SmallWeb said:

New icon theme pack and new dark mode theme option available in the current Pre-Release.

How bloated is the new them?

@seriesn said:

@SmallWeb said:

I never have any issues really.

Go check the demo.directadmin.com demo_[accesslevel]:demo

• @SmallWeb said:

@seriesn said:

@SmallWeb said:

I never have any issues really.

Go check the demo.directadmin.com demo_[accesslevel]:demo

Try connecting over public wifi or 3g network. Still bloated :(

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @Amitz said:
    Now it's me having a question:
    All I wanted to to is change some global PHP settings...

So I did a
    /usr/local/bin/php --ini | grep 'Loaded Configuration File'
    and learned that the php.ini location is in /usr/local/php72/lib/php.ini

I changed the values and restarted Apache.

Still the changes are not applied. What does Directadmin expect me to do? Their documentation is a mess when searching via Google.You never know whether it is outdated information, or nor. That sucks a bit...

Same problem

• Is there a nice guide for installing DA correctly and also do some customs while at it?

@Hxxx said:
    Is there a nice guide for installing DA correctly and also do some customs while at it?

Simply doing ./setup auto works pretty good and puts it into a "cPanel transferrable" state. MySQL 5.7, PHP 7.2 and the usual trimmings, etc.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)Hxxx
    edited December 2019

I'll play messenger again and post their WIP documentation https://docs.directadmin.dev

Does anybody have anything about DA that maybe confuses you a bit and a <1 min video doing the task would help?

I am going to catalog as much as possible here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Gdb29UJxaWoFnwTSlM4wA

Thanked by (1)Dewlance
  • DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

@Mustafamw3 said:

@Amitz said:
    Now it's me having a question:
    All I wanted to to is change some global PHP settings...

So I did a
    /usr/local/bin/php --ini | grep 'Loaded Configuration File'
    and learned that the php.ini location is in /usr/local/php72/lib/php.ini

I changed the values and restarted Apache.

Still the changes are not applied. What does Directadmin expect me to do? Their documentation is a mess when searching via Google.You never know whether it is outdated information, or nor. That sucks a bit...

Same problem

I think you changed php 7.2 ini settings but maybe using other version on your website?

I use this command to change settings of all versions.

nano /usr/local/php*/lib/php.ini

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• @MikePT said:

@exp said:

@WSS said:
    If it's a subdomain/alias, there will likely be more things to rectify- I can't say I have tried to do a cpanel subdomain to directadmin primary at any time without doing so manually.

You are correct :/ DA restored the DB with prefix of current account name! Like domain2_wp123 since my login name in myw is domain2

In my previous host, login name was domain1 which was my original domain before it was changed to domain2. So correct db name is domain1_wp123

Now I added a new domain but it doesnt appear in the list of domains of DA but it shows under domains folder of File manager

The Lets encrypt renew still fails for 2 domains. Manually creating wildcard for these 2 domains also fail. DA is really buggy. I hope they focus on 'functionality' first before the 'eye candy'

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@exp said:

@MikePT said:

@exp said:

@WSS said:

Now I added a new domain but it doesnt appear in the list of domains of DA but it shows under domains folder of File manager

The Lets encrypt renew still fails for 2 domains. Manually creating wildcard for these 2 domains also fail. DA is really buggy. I hope they focus on 'functionality' first before the 'eye candy'

Please PM me the ticket ID.

Thanked by (1)exp
  • vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited January 2020

The setup I have with cPanel, I am not sure if it is possible to replicate that with DA
    I use separate domains for nameservers ( with cPanel DNSonly) & hostnames to where I login for managing my domains
    ns1.nameserverdomain.com & ns2.nameserverserverdomain.com are hostnames for DNSonly setup on 2 vps from DO
    And a separate subdamain.mydomain.com (this domain is different from what I am using for DNSonly) for hostname on the server where I actually host my websites which is with BuyVM

If it is possible to replicate such a setup on DA, I might switch
    Already paying 4 times of what I was paying before the price hike of cPanel

Already have DA based hostings from a bunch of providers & I am happy with them but the above setup is for something more mission critical

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

@vpsgeek said:
    The setup I have with cPanel, I am not sure if it is possible to replicate that with DA
    I use separate domains for nameservers ( with cPanel DNSonly) & hostnames to where I login for managing my domains
    ns1.nameserverdomain.com & ns2.nameserverserverdomain.com are hostnames for DNSonly setup on 2 vps from DO
    And a separate subdamain.mydomain.com (this domain is different from what I am using for DNSonly) for hostname on the server where I actually host my websites which is with BuyVM

Already have DA based hostings from a bunch of providers & I am happy with them but the above setup is for something more mission critical

Do you mean DNS cluster?

It's possible, yes. We run it.

It's also possible to get cPanel DNSonly to work with DA.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek bikegremlin
  • @MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

Do you mean DNS cluster?

Dear Mike yep that is exactly what I wanted to ask

@vpsgeek said:

@MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

Do you mean DNS cluster?

Which of the options I mentioned?

cPanel DNSonly integration with DA?

OR, DNS Cluster in DA?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • @MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

@MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

Do you mean DNS cluster?

OR, DNS Cluster in DA?

DNS Cluster in DA. I wish to keep my DNS remote & if I switch I would prefer my DNS to run on DA. A couple of $24 DA licences should be enough for it?

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@vpsgeek said:
    DNS Cluster in DA. I wish to keep my DNS remote & if I switch I would prefer my DNS to run on DA. A couple of $24 DA licences should be enough for it?

So DirectAdmin isn't like cPanel where a user can have their DNS cluster attached and their zones sync there. I've got a few resellers that run their own dnsonly boxes that are linked to their reseller.

If you're in full root control of your DA boxes then yep, you can just install DA on a box and then setup Multi-Server mode and tell it to only validate/sync DNS zones.

That's how we share our nameservers on our nodes.

Francisco

Thanked by (2)MikePT vpsgeek

@vpsgeek said:

@MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

@MikePT said:

@vpsgeek said:

Do you mean DNS cluster?

OR, DNS Cluster in DA?

Yeah. Just enable multi-server, then set those as dns servers.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek