Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Francisco said:

@vpsgeek said:
    DNS Cluster in DA. I wish to keep my DNS remote & if I switch I would prefer my DNS to run on DA. A couple of $24 DA licences should be enough for it?

So DirectAdmin isn't like cPanel where a user can have their DNS cluster attached and their zones sync there. I've got a few resellers that run their own dnsonly boxes that are linked to their reseller.

If you're in full root control of your DA boxes then yep, you can just install DA on a box and then setup Multi-Server mode and tell it to only validate/sync DNS zones.

That's how we share our nameservers on our nodes.

Francisco

Correct. ?❤️

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Looks like JetBackup is imminent for DA based on the latest comments from them in the feature request.

Thanked by (2)MikePT wdmg

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited January 2020

Suppose by the end of this year we might see a tested and well functioning solution.

@HostingMourinho, tzar of the Iberian Peninsula and king of the Pyrenean hill (known among the commons as @MikePt):
    - when the time comes, if you need any early JetBackup testing pocus rabbits, count me in. :)

#SlavicEngineering

Thanked by (1)WSS

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Looks like JetBackup is imminent for DA based on the latest comments from them in the feature request.

And when are we going to see supreme quality directadmin potassium shared hosting plans from IH? Or you have decided to offer cPanel only?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

@vpsgeek said:

@AnthonySmith said:

And when are we going to see supreme quality directadmin potassium shared hosting plans from IH? Or you have decided to offer cPanel only?

That's a secret :)

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

@AnthonySmith said:

Yep, eta is 2 months... Wish it was faster tho!

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • @Mustafamw3 said:

@Amitz said:
    Now it's me having a question:
    All I wanted to to is change some global PHP settings...

So I did a
    /usr/local/bin/php --ini | grep 'Loaded Configuration File'
    and learned that the php.ini location is in /usr/local/php72/lib/php.ini

I changed the values and restarted Apache.

Still the changes are not applied. What does Directadmin expect me to do? Their documentation is a mess when searching via Google.You never know whether it is outdated information, or nor. That sucks a bit...

Same problem

I guess you're running PHP-FPM? That way you'd need to reload/restart PHP-FPM service for the settings to take effect :) If you're running CloudLinux - please don't forget PHP is in CageFS, so, "cagefsctl --force-update" might be the answer.

• @exp said:
    Now I added a new domain but it doesnt appear in the list of domains of DA but it shows under domains folder of File manager

I think it failed to add the domain, likely due to custom scripts? Anything in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom ?

@exp said:
    The Lets encrypt renew still fails for 2 domains. Manually creating wildcard for these 2 domains also fail. DA is really buggy. I hope they focus on 'functionality' first before the 'eye candy'

Wildcard certificate needs DNS validation, meaning DNS must be controlled on the same DA server. Otherwise non-wildcard is the only option :)

• I used many panels in the years.. cPanel,Plesk,ISP,centos Webpanel,webmin... Some time ago I switched to DA.
    DA is so easy to use. I really like it and want to stay with it.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

https://duck.com (aff)
    https://ecosia.org (aff) Plant trees from home.
    "If you are not paying for a product then you are the product."

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

https://feedback.directadmin.com

Useful, now we can get the feature requests in or at least get a clear view of what is in the works.

• Kinda saddens me that the master/alpha reseller is now a thing on DirectAdmin.

• You definitely can use a DA personal licence just for DNS clustering? I am sure I bought the personal licences I have for that reason but can't see a definitive answer anywhere.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Lee said:
    You definitely can use a DA personal licence just for DNS clustering? I am sure I bought the personal licences I have for that reason but can't see a definitive answer anywhere.

You definitely can.

Thanked by (2)jureve Lee
  • @SmallWeb said:

@Lee said:
    You definitely can use a DA personal licence just for DNS clustering? I am sure I bought the personal licences I have for that reason but can't see a definitive answer anywhere.

You definitely can.

Thanks, I knew I bought them with a purpose in mind. Getting old.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • @vpsgeek said:
    The setup I have with cPanel, I am not sure if it is possible to replicate that with DA
    I use separate domains for nameservers ( with cPanel DNSonly) & hostnames to where I login for managing my domains
    ns1.nameserverdomain.com & ns2.nameserverserverdomain.com are hostnames for DNSonly setup on 2 vps from DO
    And a separate subdamain.mydomain.com (this domain is different from what I am using for DNSonly) for hostname on the server where I actually host my websites which is with BuyVM

If it is possible to replicate such a setup on DA, I might switch
    Already paying 4 times of what I was paying before the price hike of cPanel

Already have DA based hostings from a bunch of providers & I am happy with them but the above setup is for something more mission critical

I am now successfully running that setup where my server let's call it server1.mydomain.com pushes dns zones to 2 remote boxes hosted with DA ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com

Now the question is how do I setup recursion that this setup serves dns zones hosted on server1.mydomain.com & if needed in future server2.mydomain.com

In other words I want to make sure that none of my servers can be used to launch ddos attacks

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

You could keep your ns1 and ns2 with cPanel only, and link your DA - take a read of this
    https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/connect-directadmin-server-to-cpanel-dns-cluster-servers.58085/

Hope it helps!

• @hello said:
    You could keep your ns1 and ns2 with cPanel only, and link your DA - take a read of this
    https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/connect-directadmin-server-to-cpanel-dns-cluster-servers.58085/

Hope it helps!

I am aware of that & I am running a remote DNS setup with DirectAdmin successfully, all I want is to stop others from utilizing my server to launch ddos attacks i.e recursion

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@vpsgeek3333 said:

@hello said:

Hope it helps!

I am aware of that & I am running a remote DNS setup with DirectAdmin successfully, all I want is to stop others from utilizing my server to launch ddos attacks i.e recursion

Is that still using bind? If so, it'll look like this in your named.conf:

allow-recursion { localhost; };
    allow-query     { any; };
    recursion yes;

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Having spent a few days building scripts with the DA API I have to say, gimmie a REST API. I mean, I get it, the current one is old but language agnostic which is fine depending on which way you roll an implementation. Not a big thing I know, it works as is, was just a bit painful to get going with it, having to refer to .conf files and so on to find everything you wanted to call.

Thanked by (1)wdmg
  • mobilemobile Retired

i want to add subdomain record on direct admin

=> mydomain.com (this site is working properly)

then i want to make sub1.mydomain.com BUT i want to point it to another IP so what i do is..

1. Go to Account Manager -> Click Sub-Domains Setup
    2. Click Add Subdomain, then type sub1.mydomain.com then click Add Subdomain
    3. Back to Dashboard, then Click DNS Management
    4. Edit A and AAAA Record for sub1 and www.sub1 to desired IP
    5. Done

Am i doing this properly? i did tried to check using dig a sub1.mydomain.com and dig aaaa sub1.mydomain.com it seems my domain pointing to right IP address

smallweb KB is still small for time being, it's my first time using direct admin and i'm pretty impressed

with this thread we probably can make manual with title Direct Admin for Retards someday

@mobile said:
    i want to add subdomain record on direct admin

=> mydomain.com (this site is working properly)

then i want to make sub1.mydomain.com BUT i want to point it to another IP so what i do is..

1. Go to Account Manager -> Click Sub-Domains Setup
    2. Click Add Subdomain, then type sub1.mydomain.com then click Add Subdomain
    3. Back to Dashboard, then Click DNS Management
    4. Edit A and AAAA Record for sub1 and www.sub1 to desired IP
    5. Done

Am i doing this properly? i did tried to check using dig a sub1.mydomain.com and dig aaaa sub1.mydomain.com it seems my domain pointing to right IP address

smallweb KB is still small for time being, it's my first time using direct admin and i'm pretty impressed

with this thread we probably can make manual with title Direct Admin for Retards someday

Just create the A Record then in the DNS Manager.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@vpsgeek said:

@AnthonySmith said:

That's a secret :)

Sorry Ant I think this is my 3rd or 4th account. I always forget or lose my password and Im not getting the reset password since I use free domain email. Ugh.

• edited March 2020

@smtalk said:

@exp said:
    Now I added a new domain but it doesnt appear in the list of domains of DA but it shows under domains folder of File manager

I think it failed to add the domain, likely due to custom scripts? Anything in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom ?

@exp said:
    The Lets encrypt renew still fails for 2 domains. Manually creating wildcard for these 2 domains also fail. DA is really buggy. I hope they focus on 'functionality' first before the 'eye candy'

Wildcard certificate needs DNS validation, meaning DNS must be controlled on the same DA server. Otherwise non-wildcard is the only option :)

Sorry for late reply. @MikePT already fixed the domain :)

For the SSL, I think it doesnt work since only way to do DCV is via DNS. My dns is on Cloudflare... How to switch to file method? Also, I see you can only disable SSL for whole domain unlike in cPanel you can do it per domain or subdomain.

I dont think the DCV entries I need to copy over to Cloudflare is in DA dns management. I will have to recheck it. But doesnt those entries change each time SSL is renewed? Then I will need to manually copy over every 3 months...

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@exp3 said: Sorry Ant I think this is my 3rd or 4th account. I always forget or lose my password and Im not getting the reset password since I use free domain email. Ugh.

PM me please with your email address that you are having issues receiving them on please?

• @Francisco can you pls ping @smtalk to visit here often? thank you! :D

For DA reseller, it seems you cant edit existing user packages? You have to delete and create a new one.

Any billing that supports using of subdomain during order for DA?

• edited March 2020

I'm here, checking the thread from time to time :) @exp3 Just click "rename" checkbox next to the package name when editing, and it will let you rename it then.

• @smtalk I see that incremental backups with Borg might be coming in 1.60.5. Will it be finished in time?

• @LeonDynamic said:
    @smtalk I see that incremental backups with Borg might be coming in 1.60.5. Will it be finished in time?

It's planned for the beginning of the summer, unfortunately, likely not :) All the unfinished features currently show the 'next' version, but it doesn't mean it'll be included.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • @smtalk said:
    I'm here, checking the thread from time to time :) @exp3 Just click "rename" checkbox next to the package name when editing, and it will let you rename it then.

How about alternative domain control validation for Let's encrypt? Those using cloudflare for dns management and DA for web hosting results to SSL not being renewed. Since by default validation is done via DNS in DA dns manager. Cant DA switch to file method via domain.com/.well-known/pki-validation ?

Also will DA support orders via subdomain instead of a domain? I want to offer free subdomain with hosting plan. Are you doing this already @seriesn with servedez.com and DA?

• So,
    What you are loo> @exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

How about alternative domain control validation for Let's encrypt? Those using cloudflare for dns management and DA for web hosting results to SSL not being renewed. Since by default validation is done via DNS in DA dns manager. Cant DA switch to file method via domain.com/.well-known/pki-validation ?

Simply don’t setup wildcard ssl :)

Also will DA support orders via subdomain instead of a domain? I want to offer free subdomain with hosting plan. Are you doing this already @seriesn with servedez.com and DA?

We don’t do subdomain as it severely impacts overall domain reputation and the risk is not worth the hassle since freenom does exist :)

You can allow specific domains to be used for sub domains :)

https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1550

Thanked by (1)smtalk