Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@flips said:

@SmallWeb said: Any of this going on? (Extra selection)

What's that? Doesn't look familiar ...

Looks like you can drag and select a space from the previous DNS column, but I had to actually try a few times to select it.

• I tried to modify a user. For example in package, php access is unchecked. I tried to check it in modify user. I get an error. Then I just edit the package to enable php access there. Now I go to modify user and php access is checked? So editing a package will affect all users under it? What if I want to enable an access for 1 user only?

Possible to have option to enable ssl access without let's encrypt so just to create csr for commercial cert?

An option to disable animations would be great!

• @exp3 said: An option to disable animations would be great!

Agreed. :)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

edited April 2020

@exp3 said: So editing a package will affect all users under it? What if I want to enable an access for 1 user only?

Yeah, that's standard.

If it's literally just 1 user, why not create a duplicate package with the setting enabled?

Don't know what this error you're getting is though. I went to List Users > Modified One > Disabled PHP > Saved.

What's the message?

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@exp3 said: An option to disable animations would be great!

Agreed. :)

It's there :)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

Customize Evolution Skin > Misc. Options > Disable Route Transition

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint exp3
  • Thanks guys, does appear to be more responsive without "transitions".

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@flips said:

@flips said:
    As for DirectAdmin, there's one thing I really cannot grasp the logic behind:
    If I view some DNS TXT records, let's say my DKIM key, or some other non-IP record, like the SPF record, and I decide to copy it:
    I select it and do copy and paste.
    If I paste it to another web form, it looks fine, but it contains some hidden spaces, making the records broken, while in the GUI appearing OK.

(If I paste it to a real editor, I see the spaces, how the copied text is messed up. To actually copy a TXT record correctly, I have to select edit, then select all and copy ...)

I have no trouble living with this ... But why does it behave like this? B)
    (Not sure if I tested various browsers, or only Firefox.)

I'm not the only one seeing/experiencing this? (Maybe I should check different browsers or something?) :)

Had that problem when we first switched over to DA and it was patched, haven't noticed it since.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee flips

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• @SmallWeb said:

@exp3 said: So editing a package will affect all users under it? What if I want to enable an access for 1 user only?

Yeah, that's standard.

If it's literally just 1 user, why not create a duplicate package with the setting enabled?

Don't know what this error you're getting is though. I went to List Users > Modified One > Disabled PHP > Saved.

What's the message?

This is the error but when I visit modify user again, php access is already checked and email address from 0 to 1 now. So it worked even with the error.

• @SmallWeb said:
    Customize Evolution Skin > Misc. Options > Disable Route Transition

Will try this. I also remember one time where DA kepts refreshing and logging you out. Seems fixed now.

@exp3 said:

@SmallWeb said:

Yeah, that's standard.

What's the message?

This is the error but when I visit modify user again, php access is already checked and email address from 0 to 1 now. So it worked even with the error.

Ah right, have seen this before.

Usually pops up with any sort of user change but the changes still apply (in my cases).. definitely should be looked at, is this your server?

Thanked by (1)exp3
  • DA isnt worth the price...
    i have been working support and that is what i found... Plesk is better

Thanked by (1)nyamenk

Stay safe and healthy. Donate to the WFP.

• LeeLee OG
    edited April 2020

@gwndilshan1989 said: DA isnt worth the price...

Fair enough but rather than just dropping that kind of statement, elaborate?

• @Lee said:

@gwndilshan1989 said: DA isnt worth the price...

Fair enough but rather than just dropping that kind of statement, elaborate?

Have to wait till my next shift... The only thing I remember is that I liked it the least from cPanel and Plesk.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@gwndilshan1989 said: Have to wait till my next shift... The only thing I remember is that I liked it the least from cPanel and Plesk.

Would be great if you could explain it, certainly want to read your comment.

• @MikePT said:

@gwndilshan1989 said: Have to wait till my next shift... The only thing I remember is that I liked it the least from cPanel and Plesk.

Checked out their demo... Now I remember
    slow. especially when i tried to have multiple tabs open

• Checked out their demo... Now I remember

Conclusive, you will go far.

Thanked by (1)Clouvider
  • @Lee said:

Conclusive, you will go far.

Not conclusive , I understand. But when you got to support tens of users at the same time, i found it frustrating... the loading animation would be unresponsive and slow..

• LeeLee OG
    edited April 2020

@gwndilshan1989 said: Not conclusive , I understand. But when you got to support tens of users at the same time, i found it frustrating... the loading animation would be unresponsive and slow..

Ok, but you went from:

DA isnt worth the price...

To

I liked it the least from cPanel and Plesk.

To

Checked out their demo...

Back to

But when you got to support tens of users at the same time

And then

the loading animation would be unresponsive and slow

If you want to go further (How to become a level3 support tech/sysadmin) then diagnose why they are unresponsive or slow, DA is fine, if it is unresponsive then there is an issue with your servers, not DA.

• @Lee Thank you, but I do not get to diagnose anything. Just one shift per week there. I can only do user support. On the same servers cPanel and Plesk run faster.

• @gwndilshan1989 said: On the same servers cPanel and Plesk run faster.

Understood, but that other panels run in a different way does not mean DA is slower by design. For example, on my free hosting site I have services in Las Vegas, Virginia, UK, Luxembourg, Germany and Singapore. Nothing unresponsive on any of them.

The animations are a PITA, I will give you that, but they can be turned off.

Thanked by (2)gwndilshan1989 MikePT

@gwndilshan1989 said:

@MikePT said:

Disable the effects. I've told @smtalk about this, it definitely gets the UI slower... And this is on a new i7, 16GB RAM, NVMe.
    Although, we have many hundreds of accounts, you won't notice this with a few hundred.

Thanked by (1)gwndilshan1989

@Lee said: The animations are a PITA, I will give you that, but they can be turned off.

Indeed, the effects suck!

• @MikePT said:

@Lee said: The animations are a PITA, I will give you that, but they can be turned off.

Hehe, it's been discussed many times. Doesn't the "white flash" at LES "suck"? :) If it doesn't we can add an option to add this "white flash" effect as the transition and problem would be solved then.

If there are other suggestions - they're really welcome. For those who want "no transitions" at all - there is already an option for this.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

Have to admit, I don't think I've actually compared on/off.. just haven't had (m)any complaints.

• @SmallWeb said:

@exp3 said:

@SmallWeb said:

Yeah, that's standard.

What's the message?

Usually pops up with any sort of user change but the changes still apply (in my cases).. definitely should be looked at, is this your server?

It's a reseller's. Yes get the error but change is still applied. I guess as long as it works its ok.

• edited April 2020

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

Hehe, it's been discussed many times. Doesn't the "white flash" at LES "suck"? :) If it doesn't we can add an option to add this "white flash" effect as the transition and problem would be solved then.

If there are other suggestions - they're really welcome. For those who want "no transitions" at all - there is already an option for this.

For me the DA UI is very expanded and not compact. I prefer to see everything on the screen without scrolling, specially in the case of file manager. I dont think people really care about the animations. People actually like to get stuff done quickly as possible so the UI being simple, light, obvious, working, snappy and responsive will be really appreciated.

Thanked by (2)Lee AlwaysSkint
  • @exp3 said:

@SmallWeb said:

@exp3 said:

@SmallWeb said:

Yeah, that's standard.

What's the message?

It's a reseller's. Yes get the error but change is still applied. I guess as long as it works its ok.

That popup means quotas aren't enabled on your server. https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=557 should fix that.

• @exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

For me the DA UI is very expanded and not compact. I prefer to see everything on the screen without scrolling, specially in the case of file manager. I dont think people really care about the animations. People actually like to get stuff done quickly as possible so the UI being simple, light, obvious, working, snappy and responsive will be really appreciated.

I don't really know why most of the people call it "animations" and not "transitions" :) When you're here, click any URL on LES, for example home logo, and you'll get a 'white flash' transition.

We're open for suggestions if you have something to offer.

"specially in the case of file manager" - v2 of it is planned, no ETA on it though. It'll be more OS-like file-manager, likely opened in a new tab by default, and having more natural look&feel to usual file managers.

Thank you for the feedback!

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint MichaelCee

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

I don't really know why most of the people call it "animations" and not "transitions" :) When you're here, click any URL on LES, for example home logo, and you'll get a 'white flash' transition.

We're open for suggestions if you have something to offer.

"specially in the case of file manager" - v2 of it is planned, no ETA on it though. It'll be more OS-like file-manager, likely opened in a new tab by default, and having more natural look&feel to usual file managers.

Thank you for the feedback!

E. G show all users, takes quite a few seconds to load. Then searching there... Even takes time to type a single letter.