[Open for offers] Looking for a part-time job part 2

2»

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Services Provider

Hello

Can i also have your CV? I do not have any work for you but i have companies which i work with that are constantly looking for members and support staff.

Drop your CV at info @ aa...com [check my signature]

Regards,
    Armand

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
    WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@armandorg said:
    Hello

Can i also have your CV? I do not have any work for you but i have companies which i work with that are constantly looking for members and support staff.

Drop your CV at info @ aa...com [check my signature]

Regards,
    Armand

Sent

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@risharde I support OP finding a job in systems administration. I wish him all the best on his job search.

@stevewatson301 said: I remain firm in what I said

+1. I also stand by my comments on there needing to have an open mindset on learning. If you ask any competent 40+ year old dev, there's no way that they will say that they are still using anything they learned from college. All of it is learned through job / Google / experience. To be successful, you cannot stop learning. I am not intimately familiar with OP, but based on what I've read in this thread, it seems as if this might be one area where some growth might help him in the future.

@risharde said: isn't near enough time

In my view, programming is a bit like math. You can learn the basics, like addition/subtraction/division, but maybe your job doesn't require geometry. When your job requires it, then you learn it. You can learn algebra/precalc/calculus once you need it. From what I've seen, most people start off with their foot in the door with the basics, which anyone can learn in like a week. There's no need to learn anything else at this point. Depending on what work requires, then they add on the other skills. After 5 years in the industry, you've gained the experience to know how to do most things you might want to do.

You can get a CS degree in college, but a CS degree doesn't account for the huge variety of different technology stacks that you'd be dealing with at work over your next 40 years of work. At every big tech company, you can choose what programming language to do your coding interview in. They're interested in you as a person and how you think, not as how you'd code with them on the first day. Nobody can do whatever they're tasked with -- everyone will be learning. So that's why a "can-do" and "I will learn" attitude is so important.

This is the perspective of someone who surrounds themselves with a bunch of FANG people. It's probably not applicable to the other maybe 90% of the industry that isn't on the bleeding edge of stuff, so apologies for my bias here. But if you asked Mark Zuckerberg how he created Facebook as a psychology major at Harvard, or the Collison brothers how they created Stripe when they weren't even in college, I betcha they would say they incrementally learned everything they needed to know and had a "will learn" attitude the entire time.

Taking a step back here, dev work isn't for everyone. Support is a nice place to be, and I wish I still did more of it at my startup. So, best of luck to OP on his job search!

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • Yeah, Lentro I agree - I think you're just very direct and realistic rather than sugar coating :)

Thanked by (1)lentro
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited July 2022

On another note, can we just all be grateful for this awesome community where we have multiple people reaching out trying to give OP a job opportunity where he can prosper and thrive in? Yay LES! :)

• edited July 2022

@lentro said:
    Support is a nice place to be, and I wish I still did more of it at my startup.

Please don’t get me started on support jobs. :)

While there is a slight chance that you pick up tech skills, the high stress environment does something to you, and either you become stuck in your career (only more so because companies view it as an assembly-line job), or you try to explain to yourself why you’d be treated this way and end up having an epiphany about how society works and how everyone is trying to scam people while claiming to do all these good things.

(If some of Jarland’s posts on OGF seemed strange or unwarranted, just look at them with this newfound insight. It’ll make more sense now.)

@lentro said:
    In my view, programming is a bit like math. You can learn the basics, like addition/subtraction/division, but maybe your job doesn't require geometry

Come on, it’s not as easy as you make it to be. OP is just 18 and doesn’t have a programming background, and even if they did, for dev jobs another important component is design/architecture which requires time to pick up completely. This is why my advice for the OP was they should look for SRE roles as the learning path is slightly easier given their background. It would also fit in well with the tasks they love doing — setting up Wordpress and other applications on a VPS and so on.

@lentro said:
    This is the perspective of someone who surrounds themselves with a bunch of FANG people (...) But if you asked Mark Zuckerberg how he created Facebook as a psychology major at Harvard

Not sure I’d pick that example.

Specifically, Zuckerberg might have money but in American society’s view he’s a failure, in terms of eroding trust in the government, and as the person who normalized the invasion of people’s privacy.

• I strongly disagree with what I am seeing here but the majority has it and thus as with a democracy I will humbly bow out of this one. If I did indeed had a sysadmin/support position for you skorupion I would have considered hiring you. All the best to you, really hope you get a good job that will help you to be able to support yourself and also grow your skills.

Thanked by (1)skorupion

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• ReadyDedisReadyDedis Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@TheDP thank you for the reference, but I'm happy with the team I hired in the past hiring call. We're fully covered for 24 x 7 at this point. If work increases then I'll surely post in and see if anyone needs a job.

Thanked by (2)skorupion TheDP
  • @risharde said:
    I strongly disagree with what I am seeing here but the majority has it and thus as with a democracy I will humbly bow out of this one.

It's only discussion - No need to feel you can't express your opinion :)

Thanked by (3)lentro chimichurri pikachu