Crunchbits' Ultra Mega Giveaways And Goods: Servers, CPUs, Motherboards, RAM, Disks, Etc

Comments

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@crunchbits do you offer colocation?

• edited January 2023

@Jab said:

@crunchbits said: Inland 480GB QTY: 1

Out of curiosity - what the fuck is Inland and even more important: Why you bought it in first place?!

Inland is a in-house Micro Center brand (A US retail chain specializing in electronics and computer hardware).

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8676/inland-professional-sata-iii-ssd-75-480gb-madness/index.html

The tl;dr is the SSD has mediocre speeds due to lower quality NAND flash, no DRAM cache, and a generic, non-tuned firmware with a middle of the road controller. Still faster than a 2.5" mechanical drive in most circumstances but definitely not by a wide margin.

They are OK for mass data storage where performance is less of a priority over capacity with an ideal $/GB.

Thanked by (1)Jab

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider
    edited January 2023

@Encoders said:
    please include boob mousepad next time so i can join in

Oh, I forgot there is a brand new unopened mouse pad under that pile. I can print out picture of bob or vagene for you?

@Jab said:

Out of curiosity - what the fuck is Inland and even more important: Why you bought it in first place?!

A lot of this stuff we didn't buy. It comes as extras, randomly acquired, or sometimes you buy a pallet of servers from your favorite vendor and their new guy forgets and leaves their test cpus in every server. You ask them if they want them back and they don't care.

@Abdullah said:
    @crunchbits do you offer colocation?

We don't, but I know @IonSwitch is close by and they do. No shipping involved there.

@CamoYoshi said:

@Jab said:

Inland is a in-house Micro Center brand (A US retail chain specializing in electronics and computer hardware).

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8676/inland-professional-sata-iii-ssd-75-480gb-madness/index.html

The tl;dr is the SSD has mediocre speeds due to lower quality NAND flash, no DRAM cache, and a generic, non-tuned firmware with a middle of the road controller. Still faster than a 2.5" mechanical drive in most circumstances but definitely not by a wide margin.

They are OK for mass data storage where performance is less of a priority over capacity with an ideal $/GB.

Yeah, I think those drives came with a pile of parts that were purchased from MicroCenter as some "freebie" years ago.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Timetec 16GB DDR4 2666
    Claim: 2

• I'll claim the

Inland 480GB QTY: 1

And if you have some more disks, I hope you post them soon :D

@lentro said:
    Timetec 16GB DDR4 2666
    Claim: 2

@imok said:
    I'll claim the

Inland 480GB QTY: 1

And if you have some more disks, I hope you post them soon :D

CONFIRMED
    Timetec 16GB DDR4 2666 RAM 4 2
    Chad Inland 480GB QTY: 1

@lentro you going to let me bring some GPUs to TensorDock? ;)

@imok I think we might have more, there is still a LOT to organize and sort. It's going to take many weeks.

• Timetec 16GB DDR4 2666 QTY: 2

The time stamp on other claim is no longer visible but pretty sure it's been over 24 hours... =)

• @crunchbits if no one gonna take those 8g ram, could I take ‘em four in a row? Since, you know, x399 got quad channels. Of course it’s better if they’re the model, otherwise, maybe not compatible.

@crunchbits said: some GPUs

Yes! Come join the marketplace:
    https://tensordock.com/host

Right now we're still working on software development, but by the end of February host onboarding should be automated.... list all the excess stock you have and generate revenue on your otherwise unutilized servers :)

• CloudieCloudie Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@crunchbits said: How about a newer 4x LFF or 10x SFF bay dual Xeon E5 rig with better specs? One time offer pending just for you

Anytime! hit me up :)) letsa do this

@lentro said:

@crunchbits said: some GPUs

Yes! Come join the marketplace:
    https://tensordock.com/host

Right now we're still working on software development, but by the end of February host onboarding should be automated.... list all the excess stock you have and generate revenue on your otherwise unutilized servers :)

Alright, I'll fill out on there but have a few questions. You may (or may not) want to answer this stuff publicly, so I'd be fine if you wanted to DM it but others might have the same questions:

• Are the 'guaranteed' floor pricing numbers accurate?
    • What makes you better/different from someone like vast.ai?
    • Are there any particular models of GPUs you really have a need for at the moment? Quantity limits?
    • Anything else about TensorDock that would be good for a potential host to know?
    Thanked by (1)lentro
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Cool give away :)

• @crunchbits said: Hate to see you miss out if you wanted something. Maybe bitcoinpostage.info and ship to forwarder and/or PO box or some public location? I don't need to actually know who/where it is going to, just whatever minimal is needed to get it there.

Really appreciate what you are doing, sadly it was simply not worth it for me - costs of re-sending and a whole bunch of other stuff just to keep sensible opsec would be bigger than getting any of these parts locally.
    If I were in the US(or anywhere close US) it would've been a nobrainer.

Thanks anyways and I hope people that got stuff from you will be happy.
    I hope more providers will start doing what you are doing, many people run homelabs on tight budgets and even some old servers are worth it.

Thanked by (2)crunchbits benz
  • @Jab said:

If it was Offland, it would be in water and you wouldn't want to have a drive sitting in water, would you?

• CLAIM:
    ITEM: Seagate Barracuda Compute (st2000dm008) 2TB 3.5”
    QUANTITY: 2

• Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200
    Quantity: 2

• @Decicus said:
    CLAIM: Seagate Barracuda Compute (st2000dm008) 2TB 3.5” - QTY: 2

Some neat stuff on the list (some I was unfortunately too late for, I blame timezones). Thanks!

Looks like this claim for HDD was missed @crunchbits In that case, I will change my claim request to,
    ITEM: Seagate “desktop” (st2000dm008) 2TB 3.5”

Thanked by (1)crunchbits

@abtdw said:

@Decicus said:
    CLAIM: Seagate Barracuda Compute (st2000dm008) 2TB 3.5” - QTY: 2

Some neat stuff on the list (some I was unfortunately too late for, I blame timezones). Thanks!

Looks like this claim for HDD was missed @crunchbits In that case, I will change my claim request to,

Indeed I think it was, I had some issues with trying to multiple-quote over multiple pages so i think that is how I missed it.

@Decicus CLAIM: Seagate Barracuda Compute (st2000dm008) 2TB 3.5” - QTY: 2 CONFIRMED

@JDMcPea said:

Timetec 16GB DDR4 2666 QTY: 2

The time stamp on other claim is no longer visible but pretty sure it's been over 24 hours... =)

@TanXS said:
    Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200
    Quantity: 2

@abtdw said:

CONFIRMED

@abtdw those disks all came from the same NIB systems, but just those 2 had different labels (but identical part numbers). Likely identical if I had to guess.

Thanked by (3)JDMcPea abtdw Decicus
  • Gskill 16GB DDR4
    quantity: 2

• edited January 2023

Let's make this easier for everyone to keep track..

GIVEAWAY STASH #1

CPUs
    * Xeon E5-2620 V3 QTY: 10
    * AMD Ryzen 3 3200G QTY: 1
    * AMD EPYC 7251 QTY: 2 (We believe these to be vendor locked, likely to Dell--but not by us and unsure)

RAM
    * Crucial 4GB DDR4 2133 QTY: 9
    * Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200 QTY: 6 (2 per claim limit) (- 2 = 4 left)
    * Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000 QTY: 2 (to be claimed?)
    * Viper 4GB DDR4 2666 QTY: 2 (set, together)

SSDs
    - All gone!

HDDs
    * WD Red 3TB 3.5” QTY: 1

Motherboards (some w/CPU)
    - All gone!

Miscellaneous
    * Quadro RTX NVLink Bridge 2-slot QTY: 2 (1 per claim limit)
    * EVGA Powerlink QTY: ~20 (4 per claim limit)
    * Kingwin FPX-008 4ch aluminum fan controller 5.25" QTY: 1
    * Dr. Harvey's Chicken Hearts N/A

Servers
    - All gone!

• edited January 2023

Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000 QTY: 2
    OR
    Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200 QTY: 4

• WD Red 3TB 3.5”
    Quantity: 1

@crunchbits said: Are the 'guaranteed' floor pricing numbers accurate?

When we started off, we guaranteed the payout numbers listed on there regardless of actual demand to bootstrap our marketplace. We're still paying these guaranteed amounts until host onboarding is 100% automated (late next month).

For January, it seems that our marketplace will be gross profitable for the first time — i.e. we'll make more in net volume than we'll pay out to hosts. So the numbers listed will roughly be what hosts make, even after we stop guaranteeing payout minimums.

What makes you better/different

We're hoping to make our marketplace more efficient + target a broader audience.

We operate on the hypervisor level to provision VMs. Our vision is to create a truly democratized cloud provider with CPU-only VMs, CDNs, and cloud storage services. Eventually, we hope this will generate multiple potential income streams for hosts, allowing them to reduce unit pricing on individual services.

Are there any particular models of GPUs you really have a need for at the moment? Quantity limits?

Nope, but we are holding off on onboarding new hosts until the process is 100% automated.

Here's what our roadmap looks like:

• Fully-automated Windows (right now, requires 1 manual step per installation) -- early February
    • Storage-only billing -- early February
    • Hosting automation: automatic penalties for downtime, payouts, etc -- mid/late February

Only then will we truly focus on growing the marketplace. Right now, it's a niche product, but as we automate processes and add Windows, we'll be able to target the cloud gaming and rendering customers that vast.ai can't target.

Maybe we can connect mid/late next month once our software is more complete? We are growing rapidly as is, so we need to slow down to patch bugs and automate more before we focus on scale :)

• Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200 QTY: 2

Back for round two, and thanks again for the giveaway!

• edited January 2023

Also, for those looking to claim the Gskill 16GB ones, I remember someone already claiming them a couple pages back

Edit: found it!

@gemini86 said:
    Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000
    QTY: 2

Thank you for the giveaway!

Thanked by (1)gemini86
  • ITEM: Teamgroup 8GB DDR4 3200

Please and thank you again :)

• edited January 2023

@drunekndog said:
    Also, for those looking to claim the Gskill 16GB ones, I remember someone already claiming them a couple pages back

@gemini86 said:
    Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000

Oh, so a few got missed out by @crunchbits, huh... oops!

Thanked by (1)drunekndog

@JeDaYoshi said:

@drunekndog said:

@gemini86 said:
    Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000

Oh, so a few got missed out by @crunchbits, huh... oops!

Your contracts have been voided.

• @drunekndog said:

Indeed my claim got missed out.

@gemini86 said:
    Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000

By the way, my claim has yet to be confirmed. Is it still valid? It's okay if it's not.

@gemini86 said:

@drunekndog said:

Indeed my claim got missed out.

@gemini86 said:
    Gskill 16GB DDR4 3000

By the way, my claim has yet to be confirmed. Is it still valid? It's okay if it's not.

It is, I have to check again. Looks like all the replies I added got deleted when I went to next page to add more. Unless there is some other reason I would DQ it--any of those first claims are priority.

Thanked by (1)gemini86