Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

That looks too easy! :) What about serving Neighbor's BYO neighbor-example.com from /home/neighbor/www? :)

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    New Terms of Service for MetalVPS Neighbors might include:

• Run open source software only?
    • No transfer of account or sub-accounts?
    • kvm group membership deferred?
    • sudo group membership deferred?

New Benefits for MetalVPS Neighbors might include:

• Shared hosting, maybe /home/neighbor/www/ is served?
    • Please check https://fsn.metalvps.com
    • First time for me to set up Apache for shared hosting. So, I'm clueless!™ :)

@itsmepaddi @iamvinh123 @NodeSeek用户123 Other guys, what do you think?

Hmmmm, maybe the no transfer of account might be a good idea
    KVM group deferred? Yes, that would open up a issue to legit users
    sudo group deferred? The same thing as KVM group

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said:

That looks too easy! :) What about serving Neighbor's BYO neighbor-example.com from /home/neighbor/www? :)

In that case, you need to define a vhost (virutal host).

Create a new file: /etc/apache2/sites-available/all_user_directory.conf

And edit it as so:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName placeholdername
        ServerAlias *.example.com
        VirtualDocumentRoot /home/%1/public_html

ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

(all other codes goes here)

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
        CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
    </VirtualHost>

EDIT:

forgot to mention, make a soft link to sites-enabled before restarting apache:

sudo ln -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/all_user_directory.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/all_user_directory.conf
    sudo systemctl restart apache2

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

In that case, why not defer the access to KVM and/or sudo unless the user provides personal identifications? That way you can either provide the info to immediately get access or wait for it while gaining trust through other means?

Thanked by (2)Nubuki Not_Oles

• @somik said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

In that case, why not defer the access to KVM and/or sudo unless the user provides personal identifications? That way you can either provide the info to immediately get access or wait for it while gaining trust through other means?

This is a good idea to be honest

Thanked by (2)somik Not_Oles
  • @itsmepaddi said:

@NodeSeek用户123 said:
    I think there are several benefits to creating such a group on Telegram:
    1. Telegram accounts require phone number verification, so someone who has been banned and wants to rejoin with a new identity would have to spend more than just registering a Gmail account.
    2. Forum/email communication can be more efficient for problem-solving, but group chats are more relaxed and free-flowing, which can reveal people's personalities and true intentions.

The thing is people can register Telegram account using VIRTUAL NUMBERS which we can even get it for free (even though there are some virtual number service that costs money).
    I saw a lot of tutorials in YouTube about registering Telegram account using virtual numbers for free. So I don't think this is a good idea.

Yep,If someone doesn't want to use their real phone number, they can purchase SMS services. Although not expensive, it's still better than using unlimited free email registrations, right? Furthermore, virtual numbers are often reused, and accounts registered with them have a risk of being banned by the official platform. 🤔
    This barrier may not stop people who are determined to do bad things, but it can deter a large group of people who are just looking to play pranks or take advantage of the service without caring about it.🤔

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @NodeSeek用户123 said:

@itsmepaddi said:

@NodeSeek用户123 said:
    I think there are several benefits to creating such a group on Telegram:
    1. Telegram accounts require phone number verification, so someone who has been banned and wants to rejoin with a new identity would have to spend more than just registering a Gmail account.
    2. Forum/email communication can be more efficient for problem-solving, but group chats are more relaxed and free-flowing, which can reveal people's personalities and true intentions.

The thing is people can register Telegram account using VIRTUAL NUMBERS which we can even get it for free (even though there are some virtual number service that costs money).
    I saw a lot of tutorials in YouTube about registering Telegram account using virtual numbers for free. So I don't think this is a good idea.

Yep,If someone doesn't want to use their real phone number, they can purchase SMS services. Although not expensive, it's still better than using unlimited free email registrations, right? Furthermore, virtual numbers are often reused, and accounts registered with them have a risk of being banned by the official platform. 🤔
    This barrier may not stop people who are determined to do bad things, but it can deter a large group of people who are just looking to play pranks or take advantage of the service without caring about it.🤔

Ok... did not consider that... even though I myself have used virtual numbers with skype to reduce costs of overseas calls... I guess I never used it with SMS so that's why that didn't even cross my mind.

So what kind of verification do you suggest? If telegram is out, whatsapp and discord follows it. Only social media with "followers" are now considered, but given that you can "buy" followers, doubt it is a good way either...

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @Not_Oles forgot to mention, but please ensure that apache is not running as "root". It should be running as user "www-data" and group "www-data", otherwise certain scripts can be used to get shell access to the server as root user.

Do not enable cgi-bin or perl scripts for apache for the same reason.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• Why when I connect it says potential security breach

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

As I said above, I will continue listening. You could say more. You are not giving me much to go on. How can I understand what you think when all you say is, "I see?" :)

I agree with the formulation of rules based on what is allowed and what isn't, a telegram chat group, the open source restrictions (though I'm not really sure how to approach that).

Also isn't there a way to limit the amount of cpu/ amount of time a large amount of CPU can be used by a shared user?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

• @NotRealZeyad said:
    Why when I connect it says potential security breach

Cause the server was wiped and OS was reinstalled, so the server signature changed. Yes, your data is gone. No, you are requried to keep own backups.

@Nubuki said:
    I agree with the formulation of rules based on what is allowed and what isn't, a telegram chat group, the open source restrictions (though I'm not really sure how to approach that).

The server itself is free and open to people. So having a small limitations like only open source is a good thing. You can always get a server from hetzner and do what you want on it ;)

@Nubuki said:
    Also isn't there a way to limit the amount of cpu/ amount of time a large amount of CPU can be used by a shared user?

No, because he isn't using any panels. So there is no monitoring going on. Only limitations are number of cores and max amount of RAM, which @Not_Oles isn't willing to enforce.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @somik said:

@NotRealZeyad said:

Cause the server was wiped and OS was reinstalled, so the server signature changed. Yes, your data is gone. No, you are requried to keep own backups.

@Nubuki said:

The server itself is free and open to people. So having a small limitations like only open source is a good thing. You can always get a server from hetzner and do what you want on it ;)

@Nubuki said:

No, because he isn't using any panels. So there is no monitoring going on. Only limitations are number of cores and max amount of RAM, which @Not_Oles isn't willing to enforce.

Thanks

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles Can you put back m account? AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBUp/JhS4fx3Ht9SSaZaeC/OGP9vGwZ31j+Kwakh
    VDxR

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @NotRealZeyad said:

@somik said:

@NotRealZeyad said:

@Nubuki said:

@Nubuki said:

Thanks

FYI, you can always just click the tanks button bellow the username instead of a comment to just say thanks. Ofcourse it's ok to comment if you have some other comments or questions

Thanked by (2)NotRealZeyad Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said: Run open source software only?

I am personally willing to accept this.
    But I would like to know how to implement it.

@Not_Oles said: No transfer of account or sub-accounts?

I strongly agree with this point.

@Not_Oles said: kvm group membership deferred?

sudo group membership deferred?

Yep, postponing membership is necessary. It takes time to implement security measures and observe and consider users. In short, I believe there is no rush to open membership.🤔

Thanked by (2)somik Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

@somik said:

@NotRealZeyad said:

@Nubuki said:

I'm actually not disputing this,
    In case it wasn't really clear I just wasn't clear if open Source here meant running only Linux kvms , running open source code and what not.
    Can you maybe elaborate what count as open source and what doesn't?

@Nubuki said:

I assumed that @Not_Oles could have done so by using cpulimit on the QEMU executable, ensure that a login shell is run with nice so that the child processes will inherit the nice value, or limit with cgroups and or probably create a bash script that checks if a process hogging CPU has run for too long.

It's done that way in those rootless tilde servers (I think)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Nubuki said:

@somik said:

@Nubuki said:

In case it wasn't really clear I just wasn't clear if open Source here meant running only Linux kvms , running open source code and what not.

Anything where the source code is readily available to anyone looking for it is open source. Yes, linux is opensource. Almost all projects on github is also considered opensource.

Windows is not open source as you dont have access to the source code.

If you have any specific software in mind, google for it whether it is open source or not.

Ofcourse you can negotiate final terms with Not_OIes if you need something specific?

@Nubuki said:
    I assumed that @Not_Oles could have done so by using cpulimit on the QEMU executable, ensure that a login shell is run with nice so that the child processes will inherit the nice value, or limit with cgroups and or probably create a bash script that checks if a process hogging CPU has run for too long.

Sorry, that all passed way over my head :astonished:

Maybe you can explain it in simpler terms (or a step by step guide) to @Not_Oles ?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@somik said: So what kind of verification do you suggest? If telegram is out, whatsapp and discord follows it. Only social media with "followers" are now considered, but given that you can "buy" followers, doubt it is a good way either...

I think setting up a Telegram group is just a preliminary verification, and we do not expect it to be the sole means of verifying users. What I have in mind is to gradually deepen our understanding of users through chatting, and finally decide whether to let them use it through anonymous voting.

Users who have contributed to this node and ctively helped others are eligible to enter the KVM group, while those who have provided necessary identity proof materials on the basis of their contributions are eligible to enter the sudo group. Whether they can ultimately qualify depends on the results of anonymous voting.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @NodeSeek用户123 said:

@somik said: So what kind of verification do you suggest? If telegram is out, whatsapp and discord follows it. Only social media with "followers" are now considered, but given that you can "buy" followers, doubt it is a good way either...

I think setting up a Telegram group is just a preliminary verification, and we do not expect it to be the sole means of verifying users. What I have in mind is to gradually deepen our understanding of users through chatting, and finally decide whether to let them use it through anonymous voting.

Users who have contributed to this node and ctively helped others are eligible to enter the KVM group, while those who have provided necessary identity proof materials on the basis of their contributions are eligible to enter the sudo group. Whether they can ultimately qualify depends on the results of anonymous voting.

The issue with voting is that once a certain group becomes the majority, they can influence the outcome. Lets say there are 20 users on the server. In that list, 5 users belongs to the "abuse" group. Then when a new "abuser" joins, those 5 can all vote "yes" and they will only need 33% of the remaining people to vote yes to get the new abuser in. Once that happens, this can go until they become the majority.

Thus, in this case, I think that instead of voting, leave the decision making to @Not_Oles as in the end, it is him who is paying for the server and it is him who have to face Hetzner when abuse gets reported. What do you think?

Thanked by (2)sh97 Not_Oles

• Whoah, I posted a thing on page 2, not interested in a free account but wondering how you'd be dealing with abuse, after 20 pages shits going down really quick, so around a month, i guess.

in the previous pages, there's already a post that mentions doing stages of verification to get more privileges or move to a more 'important' server, but imo if you really want to cut the headache, do what hetzner did: verify them using idenfy

another option is to do a similar thing like freeshell (verify using postcards, don't forget to make a nice blog with those scans; i'm sure it's interesting to get in touch with LESbians), they provided free accounts for years, albeit with no root access, but you can request to install stuff. still, it proves that they managed to handle the abuse issues.

on the other hand, I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable), if i were him, I'd already used my custom kernel to log every user's activity (shell command history is just a small portion of it), and treat them like pieces of data that 'somehow' behave like sentient programs.

goddamn that sounds like a psycho, but if I were giving away free stuff, i'd highly desire more interesting results instead of having to deal with abuse nonsense.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said:
    another option is to do a similar thing like freeshell (verify using postcards, don't forget to make a nice blog with those scans; i'm sure it's interesting to get in touch with LESbians), they provided free accounts for years, albeit with no root access, but you can request to install stuff. still, it proves that they managed to handle the abuse issues.

Woa, wasn't even thinking that as a option... freeshell looks interesting too!

@Encoders said:
    on the other hand, I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable), if i were him, I'd already used my custom kernel to log every user's activity (shell command history is just a small portion of it), and treat them like pieces of data that 'somehow' behave like sentient programs.

You and me both. Follow what the big corporations do. If it works for them, thats more then proof enough that it works :lol:

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles terrorgen

• Hello @Not_Oles
    Could you add my ssh key again? ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAdxnYG6YQ7yl/JpMl1v2+NS9fnaf+NiWWyWLsC7PUcg
    Can i also ask you about the vms (if they are allowed or no?) simply whats not allowed real quick if you can.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

@somik said:

@NodeSeek用户123 said:

The issue with voting is that once a certain group becomes the majority, they can influence the outcome. Lets say there are 20 users on the server. In that list, 5 users belongs to the "abuse" group. Then when a new "abuser" joins, those 5 can all vote "yes" and they will only need 33% of the remaining people to vote yes to get the new abuser in. Once that happens, this can go until they become the majority.总之

Thus, in this case, I think that instead of voting, leave the decision making to @Not_Oles as in the end, it is him who is paying for the server and it is him who have to face Hetzner when abuse gets reported. What do you think?

You are always able to consider things thoughtfully and thoroughly❤️. Needless to say,the decision-making power should be in @Not_Oles's hands, and when reporting abusive behavior, one must face Hetzner, which is natural.

Sorry to @Not_Oles🥺,My intention is not to ignore his opinions, but rather to reduce his workload on one hand (It may be too exhausting for him to reassess and approve them one by one alone.……), and on the other hand, those who are approved through collective voting may develop a sense of collective identity and belonging, thereby reducing the likelihood of abuse.

However, I did not consider that the actual number of people participating may not be many, perhaps around a few dozen ? In a group of this size, @Not_Oles's workload may still be manageable (I don't know what he would think🤣), and each person's vote is crucial. If abusers form alliances, it could make things uncontrollable.😱

An anonymous voting scheme may be more effective in groups of several hundred or thousand people, but here, let's forget about it. I agree with your plan!👍

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@NodeSeek用户123 said:
    Sorry to @Not_Oles🥺,My intention is not to ignore his opinions, but rather to reduce his workload on one hand (It may be too exhausting for him to reassess and approve them one by one alone.……), and on the other hand, those who are approved through collective voting may develop a sense of collective identity and belonging, thereby reducing the likelihood of abuse.

Don't worry, we all know you have his best interest in mind and we are all racking our brains to reduce it as much as possible. Afterall, it is no fun to be fighting on all fronts.

@NodeSeek用户123 said:
    However, I did not consider that the actual number of people participating may not be many, perhaps around a few dozen ? In a group of this size, @Not_Oles's workload may still be manageable (I don't know what he would think🤣), and each person's vote is crucial. If abusers form alliances, it could make things uncontrollable.😱

An anonymous voting scheme may be more effective in groups of several hundred or thousand people, but here, let's forget about it. I agree with your plan!👍

I agree with you that if there are hundreds or thousands of people, it makes sense to vote. But since there might not even be 100 people, it wont make sense in the beginning.

• @somik said:

@Nubuki said:

@somik said:

@Nubuki said:

Anything where the source code is readily available to anyone looking for it is open source. Yes, linux is opensource. Almost all projects on github is also considered opensource.

If you have any specific software in mind, google for it whether it is open source or not.

Ofcourse you can negotiate final terms with Not_OIes if you need something specific?

@Nubuki said:

Maybe you can explain it in simpler terms (or a step by step guide) to @Not_Oles ?

Okay! I'll wait till he starts responding to replies then ask him

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

@Nubuki said:

@somik said:

@Nubuki said:

@somik said:

@Nubuki said:

@Nubuki said:

Okay! I'll wait till he starts responding to replies then ask him

Hi @Nubuki!

nice is old enough that I know about it. :) I think I might know what you mean by cpulimit too. I might understand a little about child process inheritance.

Would it be too crazy to imagine that you might want to share a bit about what exactly it is you have been doing on the server and about how you have been doing it? :) Thanks!

Best wishes!

Tom

Guys!

Something really interesting has happened! I have been stuck trying to figure out some ideal system for Neighbor application filtering. You guys have been very kindly helping me. But, unexpectedly, while we all were stuck, one guy quietly provided his identity information by a method that he selected and then asked me if his method was okay. I was interested and impressed that one guy simply and quietly went ahead and did the needful. I'm deliberately not providing details because I don't want to risk compromising his privacy any more than minimally necessary.

All the great ideas about community voting on new applicants and complex systems of user monitoring are great for a large community. But I'm just one guy with extra server capacity on one or a couple of servers.

I've been tasting the Low End market for awhile now. I've seen some really great guys fade away! I'm still here. For my own needs I easily could go to the Cloud. But, that wouldn't be metal, would it? Servers are getting more and more expensive. For a while longer I can enjoy using maybe 1% or 2% my i9-13900's capacity. It's great with me if a few nice folks come aboard alongside. 💖 But it's just a single clueless™ guy's thing.

Best wishes!

Tom

@RtedPro said:
    Hello @Not_Oles
    Could you add my ssh key again? ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAdxnYG6YQ7yl/JpMl1v2+NS9fnaf+NiWWyWLsC7PUcg

Want to provide identity information? :)

Can i also ask you about the vms (if they are allowed or no?) simply whats not allowed real quick if you can.

I don't want to have a bunch of rules about what is and isn't allowed. Right now I'm thinking about asking guys to run only open source software and not automatically adding new Neighbors to the kvm group. :)

Have a good day! Thanks for your continuing interest! :)

@Encoders said:
    Whoah, I posted a thing on page 2, not interested in a free account but wondering how you'd be dealing with abuse, after 20 pages shits going down really quick, so around a month, i guess.

in the previous pages, there's already a post that mentions doing stages of verification to get more privileges or move to a more 'important' server, but imo if you really want to cut the headache, do what hetzner did: verify them using idenfy

goddamn that sounds like a psycho, but if I were giving away free stuff, i'd highly desire more interesting results instead of having to deal with abuse nonsense.

I didn't know about Idenfy or that Hetzner might use idenfy. Thanks for telling us!

Yeah, nice guy that runs ctrl-c.club. I kinda took another quick look over there a couple days ago. Also sdf.org. And thc.org. I should take a look at freeshell. Been years! :)

I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable)

You made my day! Thank you! I'm gonna add this to the green links at the bottom of my LES ad OPs!

my custom kernel

Is it Open Source? :) May we please have a link! :) Wink! :)

@NodeSeek用户123 said:

Nothing against Telegram, but, for what it's worth, I've been using Signal App. And PMs here, plus the email address on my profile.

I posted earlier today about how small MetalVPS is. I want MetalVPS to feel free and unlimited. I want MetalVPS to be simple.

Neighbors from certain countries may have to overcome increased challenges to providing identity verification. These neighbors need additional support. But, how? :)