Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• @Not_Oles said:

@somik said: Fyi, you can still run the program on LXC containers inside metalVPS without KVM or sudo access.

I think usually, but not always. For example, an unprivileged LXC user can't mount file systems.

That brings me to the question, is KVM group membership required for LXC or should there be a seperate LXC group membership?

kvm group membership is not required for LXC. The user needs to be in /etc/subuid, /etc/subgid, and /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet. Please see https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/getting-started/ .

Maybe what @itsmepaddi and what @dwight want to do could be done with LXC containers. @itsmepaddi @dwight Have you guys tried LXC yet? :)

Best wishes!

Following the links, I arrived at this wiki regarding installing LXC on ubuntu and ubuntu on LXC. Seems simple enough even for unprivileged user: https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/containers-lxc

Some configurations are required on your side as you said in your post, but it seems to be a one time setup only.

With regards to mounting, i think you can just use a folder inside the home directory as the mountpoint for the server:

lxc.rootfs.path = dir:/home/user/lxc_rootfs

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @iamvinh123 said:
    Hmmmm, I would prefer the another way as I'm 13 yo old
    yo = years

You can always get your parents to apply on your behalf.

@iamvinh123 said:
    Since I'm from Vietnam, I don't have any gov ID

Vietnam does have a gov ID card though. If you apply through your parents/guardians, use their ID?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dwight said:
    Hi, I want to create a NAT kvm with IPv6; then I want to establish an ip6tnl between two different IPv6 KVMs. Can I join this party?

Here is my pub key
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIGXNzoL4Y7b+LDxR9tdR5jGzc7Vce0a15U3mdM/dnP77

Hi @dwight!

Thanks for your message. kvm is "not right away." If that's okay, how do you want to verify your identity? Send

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

to the email address on my LES profile? Send by LES PM? Another way?

Best wishes!

Tom

Create me an account using the previous SSH key btw :)

Hi @iamvinh123! As a result of the port scan that Hetzner caught, MetalVPS has an identity requirement now. How do you want to verify your identity? You could send

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

to the email address on my LES profile? Or send by LES PM? Or maybe you prefer another way?

Thanks! :) Best! :)

Tom

yo = years

Okay. What's the other way that you would prefer?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@iamvinh123 said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dwight said:
    Hi, I want to create a NAT kvm with IPv6; then I want to establish an ip6tnl between two different IPv6 KVMs. Can I join this party?

Here is my pub key
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIGXNzoL4Y7b+LDxR9tdR5jGzc7Vce0a15U3mdM/dnP77

Hi @dwight!

Thanks for your message. kvm is "not right away." If that's okay, how do you want to verify your identity? Send

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Best wishes!

Tom

Hi @iamvinh123! As a result of the port scan that Hetzner caught, MetalVPS has an identity requirement now. How do you want to verify your identity? You could send

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

to the email address on my LES profile? Or send by LES PM? Or maybe you prefer another way?

Tom

yo = years

Since I'm from Vietnam, I don't have any gov ID

Sorry to hear that. :( Sounds like people from Vietnam might have to use one of the many other excellent providers here at LES. :)

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said: Fyi, you can still run the program on LXC containers inside metalVPS without KVM or sudo access.

I think usually, but not always. For example, an unprivileged LXC user can't mount file systems.

That brings me to the question, is KVM group membership required for LXC or should there be a seperate LXC group membership?

kvm group membership is not required for LXC. The user needs to be in /etc/subuid, /etc/subgid, and /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet. Please see https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/getting-started/ .

Maybe what @itsmepaddi and what @dwight want to do could be done with LXC containers. @itsmepaddi @dwight Have you guys tried LXC yet? :)

Best wishes!

Following the links, I arrived at this wiki regarding installing LXC on ubuntu and ubuntu on LXC. Seems simple enough even for unprivileged user: https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/containers-lxc

Some configurations are required on your side as you said in your post, but it seems to be a one time setup only.

With regards to mounting, i think you can just use a folder inside the home directory as the mountpoint for the server:

Yes, that seems right. Thanks!

Thanked by (1)somik

• @Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Best wishes!

I have heard scans of a government provided ID is required now? If so a lot of people won't be able to use as people don't get given a ID until like 16-18.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @SheGivMeItAgain said:
    I have heard scans of a government provided ID is required now? If so a lot of people won't be able to use as people don't get given a ID until like 16-18.

No, it's now any official ID

@Not_Oles said:
    Okay! Changing to "Scan of government or other official ID." Thanks!

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Best wishes!

HI Blake!

Probably we could accept a school ID or some other "official" ID even if not directly issued by the government. Yet another alternative is to get parents, relatives, a teacher, school official, counselor, etc., to help you apply. There are lots of alternatives! Think about something you maybe could do. Don't give up. :)

Best!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said: Well I have been encoding videos 😑

Basically it's more of archiving though
    A telegram bot is deployed, I forward a video to the bot on tg, bot compresses it and uploads the compressed file to my drive or returns the file on telegram

Can one do this with Open Source software exclusively? :)

Yup everything is run using Python and the repository is public the dependencies like ffmpeg (which is actually used in encoding) is open source too

Excellent! If you have time, can you post an example or a link? Thanks!

Okay Here!

Thanks! I took a quick look at the README.md. Sometime, when you have a chance, could you please link to an example video? Sorry, I've never used Telegram, and so I have no idea what kinds of videos would be forwarded to Telegram. And you say that the Telegram bot compresses the video file. Does "forwarded" plus "bot compression" mean something akin to posting the video? :) Thanks!

I'll try that if this explanation fails:
    Okay let's say while scrolling through a telegram chat or channel I find a cat video I like
    Due to it being a raw video from a phone or camcorder and it is large in size;
    1. I forward (basically send same video without additional data consumption with the caveat that I can't view it since it isn't downloaded yet) said video to the Telegram bot
    2. Telegram bot encodes the video using a predefined preset to preferably make the video file smaller.
    3. Telegram bot then output the file on Tg or my google drive

Teehee!

• @Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Best wishes!

HI Blake!

Probably we could accept a school ID or some other "official" ID even if not directly issued by the government. Yet another alternative is to get parents, relatives, a teacher, school official, counselor, etc., to help you apply. There are lots of alternatives! Think about something you maybe could do. Don't give up. :)

Best!

Tom

I doubt they would do that for some unknown platform.

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Thanks! I took a quick look at the README.md. Sometime, when you have a chance, could you please link to an example video? Sorry, I've never used Telegram, and so I have no idea what kinds of videos would be forwarded to Telegram. And you say that the Telegram bot compresses the video file. Does "forwarded" plus "bot compression" mean something akin to posting the video? :) Thanks!

Okay let's say while scrolling through a telegram chat or channel I find a cat video I like
    1. I forward (basically send same video without additional data consumption with the caveat that I can't view it since it isn't downloaded yet) said video to the Telegram bot
    2. Telegram bot encodes the video using a predefined preset to preferably make the video file smaller.

Telegram does reencode all videos uploaded and shared. The most common videos on telegram that are not re-encoded and are shared are usually illegal copies of TV shows, movies and p0rn, all of which are under copyright protection and thus should be illegal on MetalVPS.

Looking through your github content, it is pretty easy to see that you are not re-encoding cat videos.

File: https://github.com/Nubuki-all/Tg-encoder/blob/main/Releasefilter.txt

Yameii|Eng|Disable
    LostYears|Dual|(Dual Audio)

File: https://github.com/Nubuki-all/Tg-encoder/blob/main/Release_caption.txt
    Yameii||FUNi WEB-DL|(FUNi)||HID WEB-DL|(HIDIVE)||CR WEB-DL|(CR)

File: https://github.com/Nubuki-all/Tg-encoder/blob/main/Auto-rename.txt (basically the names of the anime you are planning to download and rename and reupload)

Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi o Suru|My Love Story With Yamada-kun|0
    Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. 2|In Another World With My Smartphone 2|0
    Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta|I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World|0
    Iseleve|I Got A Cheat Skill In Another World|0
    Mix - Meisei Story|Mix: Meisei Story|0
    A Record Of Mortal's Journey To Immortality|A Record Of Mortal's Journey|0
    Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen o!|Konosuba - An Explosion!|0
    Isekai Shoukan wa Nidome Desu|Isekai Shoukan wa Nidome desu|0
    Kimetsu no Yaiba - Katanakaji no Sato Hen|Demon Slayer - Swordsmith Village|0
    Add_name_to_check_for|Add_name_to_replace_with

So basically you intend to use MetalVPS account to re-encode Japanese Anime and share them illegally.

I'm pretty sure that is very ILLEGAL and is not allowed on MetalVPS.

Thanked by (1)Nubuki

• @SheGivMeItAgain said:

@Not_Oles said:

HI Blake!

Best!

Tom

I doubt they would do that for some unknown platform.

Then you can always sign up for a known platform for your server. Hetzner and Leaseweb are good options.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

• @Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dwight said:

Here is my pub key

Hi @dwight!

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Best wishes!

Tom

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Tom

yo = years

I would prefer an easier way but without gov ID because of privacy reasons :)

• @iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dwight said:

Here is my pub key

Hi @dwight!

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Best wishes!

Tom

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Tom

yo = years

You can always signup elsewhere that meets your privacy requirements :p

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

• edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said: Nothing against Telegram, but, for what it's worth, I've been using Signal App. And PMs here, plus the email address on my profile.

Well, Signal is also quite good. If you decide to use Signal, I will gladly follow.😊

@Not_Oles said: I posted earlier today about how small MetalVPS is. I want MetalVPS to feel free and unlimited. I want MetalVPS to be simple.

I really admire you for this,you are a very tolerant person.

@Not_Oles said: Neighbors from certain countries may have to overcome increased challenges to providing identity verification. These neighbors need additional support. But, how?

I have an immature proposal:
    1. For people from certain countries/regions who find it inconvenient to ask others for assistance in verification, they can take a short
    video of an internal building with their organization's logo (must be taken inside, For example, the promotional bulletin board usually features the organization's logo,not outside the entrance), and need to Use a single hand gesture to indicate a series of numbers (specified by @Not_Oles) in the video (no need to show their face), because current AI image generation cannot represent fingers well, so as to ensure the authenticity and uniqueness of the photo as much as possible.

(I know some people may say PR or Ar, but no solution is perfect, and even ID verification can be faked. As long as the numbers is complex and random enough, it is difficult to achieve fake videos..). Neighbors can easily complete this alone without feeling that their personal privacy is violated, and @Not_Oles can confirm which organization they belong to.

1. For members who enter the KVM and sudo groups, consider further verification.
  • @somik said:

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Telegram does reencode all videos uploaded and shared. The most common videos on telegram that are not re-encoded and are shared are usually illegal copies of TV shows, movies and p0rn, all of which are under copyright protection and thus should be illegal on MetalVPS.

No they don't they mostly compress photos
    videos, gifs are often left as is

Looking through your github content, it is pretty easy to see that you are not re-encoding cat videos.

I was just giving an example on what the bot does and I actually do encode cat videos btw 😂

If I wanted to actually hide that I would have pointed to the source repo instead

So basically you intend to use MetalVPS account to re-encode Japanese Anime and share them illegally.

I don't plan on sharing them though.

I see…

Teehee!

• @NodeSeek用户123 said:
    I have an immature proposal:
    1. For people from certain countries/regions who find it inconvenient to ask others for assistance in verification, they can take a short
    video of an internal building with their organization's logo (must be taken inside, For example, the promotional bulletin board usually features the organization's logo,not outside the entrance), and need to Use a single hand gesture to indicate a series of numbers (specified by you) in the video (no need to show their face), because current AI image generation cannot represent fingers well, so as to ensure the authenticity and uniqueness of the photo as much as possible.

(I know some people may say PR or Ar, but no solution is perfect, and even ID verification can be faked. As long as the gesture is complex and random enough, it is difficult to achieve fake videos..). Neighbors can easily complete this alone without feeling that their personal privacy is violated, and you can confirm which organization they belong to.

Promotional bulletin board can always be found online and printed. The objective is to have a collateral or something the person need to provide to @Not_Oles that someone doing illegal stuff will be reluctant to provide while others doing legal stuff dont have a issue with.

@NodeSeek用户123 said:
    2. For members who enter the KVM and sudo groups, consider verifying their identity materials precisely to the individual level.

That is a must as KVM can be used to hide illegal stuff better then LXC or just plain scripts.

• @Nubuki said:
    I was just giving an example on what the bot does and I actually do encode cat videos btw 😂

Nope, anime cat girls do not count :lol:

@Nubuki said:

I don't plan on sharing them though.

I see…

Downloading copyright content itself is illegal, depending on the country where you live or where your server is. Keeping the video even temporarily on the server is also considered illegal (atleast at my server provider, even for personal use or for backup purposes).

I am originally from a country where copyright laws did not exist, so I understand how you feel. But here in Singapore, you get into a lot of trouble for even having it on your phone/computer.

• edited May 2023

hello @Not_Oles can you make me an account?

hello @Not_Oles, can I create an account here? my ssh keys
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAICPii861EhyjikSsCj7fzr3VGIxUoCzCffxdbQzba+ti eddsa-key-20230511

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @somik said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dwight said:

Here is my pub key

Hi @dwight!

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Best wishes!

Tom

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Tom

yo = years

You can always signup elsewhere that meets your privacy requirements :p

Alright

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @ExAjiMag said:

and me AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBUp/JhS4fx3Ht9SSaZaeC/OGP9vGwZ31j+Kwakh
    VDxR

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@NotRealZeyad said:

@ExAjiMag said:

and me AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBUp/JhS4fx3Ht9SSaZaeC/OGP9vGwZ31j+Kwakh
    VDxR

Do note that the proper format is like this:
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL20uGbLP+kZoBRXDaANvHy/NeqPIfpDwrWmjBEYx6QF somik@DESKTOP-BO9INQ7

So you are missing the first and last part of your public key.

Also take note that you are required to verify your identity now:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

Name
    Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Tom

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @NodeSeek用户123 said: Neighbors can easily complete this alone without feeling that their personal privacy is violated, and @Not_Oles can confirm which organization they belong to.

or rather "with the feeling that if they are up to no good, it won't have any real consequences for them".

If all you have is a video showing a hand with the logo of a public school or university in the background, what are you gonna do with that? Maybe the person making the video is a pupil or student there or maybe the person just lives relatively close by - but that's about it.

Thanked by (2)somik Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles Hello Tom, can you add me to the server back, you had already given me an account, I want to know if I can register with the data provided previously, I await your response, thanks

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @cmeerw said: What use case did you have in mind for Kali Linux?

Sorry for slow response, i have a test at that time
    So i just install it for fun, also i want to looking for another linux distro like Linux Mint or Arch Linux

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @dinopotato said:

@cmeerw said: What use case did you have in mind for Kali Linux?

So i just install it for fun, also i want to looking for another linux distro like Linux Mint or Arch Linux

Kali Linux is primarily used for penetration testing, and with some modifications, can be used for hacking. It is best to test such OS on home network. Less risk that way.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @Not_Oles said:

@itsmepaddi said:

@Not_Oles said:
    What is the program you want to run inside Qemu-KVM?

How could you run your program directly on the metal so that Qemu-KVM would not be needed?

For now I'm not sure yet. Probably something that runs inside Linux and is interesting for me.
    To run the program directly sometimes I may need sudo because of dependecies issues.

Seems reasonable. . . .

The i9-13900 isn't really ready yet, but I will make an account for you. kvm group and sudo group 🔜

The i9-9900K is turned off, which seems a shame. Could you please let me know which one of the following distros you would like?

AlmaLinux 8.7 base
    Arch Linux latest minimal
    CentOS 7.9 minimal
    CentOS Stream 8 base
    Debian 10 base
    Debian 10 LAMP
    Debian 11 base
    Rocky Linux 8.7 base
    Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS minimal
    Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Nextcloud
    Ubuntu 20.04.3 (HWE) LTS minimal
    Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS base
    Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS base

Thanks! Best wishes and welcome, again, to MetalVPS. :)

i'd like to use Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS base
    also can i get an account please?, use my old ssh

@Not_Oles said: As a result of the port scan that Hetzner caught, MetalVPS has an identity requirement now. How do you want to verify your identity? You could send

Name

Address
    Email
    Phone number
    Scan of government ID

Thanks! Best!

also do i need these infomation, if yes can i choose the way that i dont govID please, because i dont have id yet, i just a 13yr boy, also use my parent id is privacy so can i choose the way that i dont gov ID please

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @somik said:

@dinopotato said:

@cmeerw said: What use case did you have in mind for Kali Linux?

Kali Linux is primarily used for penetration testing, and with some modifications, can be used for hacking. It is best to test such OS on home network. Less risk that way.

i didnt know that, i just search for linux distro and i try it

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @dinopotato said:
    also do i need these infomation, if yes can i choose the way that i dont govID please, because i dont have id yet, i just a 13yr boy, also use my parent id is privacy so can i choose the way that i dont gov ID please

Government ID or any official photo ID, for example, school ID. You can discuss the details with @Not_Oles over a more private channel.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @H4N50 said:
    @Not_Oles Hello Tom, can you add me to the server back, you had already given me an account, I want to know if I can register with the data provided previously, I await your response, thanks

When the vps turn on

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles