Mailgun updates plans - aka no more free emails

mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Hi there,

Mailgun is adjusting our plans and pricing to more accurately reflect the value users get from the service and to make room for some great new deliverability features we just released.

Throughout 2019, we were hard at work adding and improving our email capabilities and optimizing our support to help your business grow. While many of these updates were made behind the scenes, the truth is that Mailgun can do a lot more than it could two years ago when we last updated our plans.

What does this mean for you?
On March 1, 2020, we will automatically transition your account to the new Flex plan, a pay-as-you-go plan comparable to the Concept plan you’re currently on. You’ll receive your first invoice under the new plan on April 1 if your amount due is greater than $0.50.

What’s changing with the Flex plan?
Flex offers you the same pay-per-use model you were used to on the Concept plan. The main differences are that we are no longer offering 10,000 free emails or 100 free validations per month, and our support options now include limited ticket support as well as enhanced self-service Q&As so you can find answers faster. Additionally, while your existing routes will still be functional, new routes will not be supported on this plan.

What other options do I have?
We have several other plans available with additional features and service levels, including a new subscription plan called Foundation that starts at $35 per month. This plan provides access to new deliverability tools like Inbox Placement so you can effortlessly increase your deliverability and email ROI.

Looking for validations, inbound routing, or more support? Foundation is a great starter plan. If this is something you’re interested in, check out your plan options.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Tagged:

Comments

• Mailgun deliverability was bad using shared IPs. I first switched to SendGrid (25,000 free/month via Azure). In the end I abstracted each provider to a PHP class so that changing provider just means changing a symbolic link.

• Actually the email to me was slightly different:

On March 1, 2020, we will automatically transition your account to the new Flex plan, a pay-as-you-go plan comparable to the Concept plan you’re currently on. You’ll receive your first invoice under the new plan on April 1 if your amount due is greater than $0.50. According to your usage in December, your invoice under the new price per message of $0.0008 would have been $0 for December. It’s a modest change, but we wanted to be transparent about it.

From this paragraph It is not clear to me whether sub-$0.50 amounts accumulate or get reset. If anything under $0.50 gets thrown away then it is like 625 free messages per month.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@tetech said:
    From this paragraph It is not clear to me whether sub-$0.50 amounts accumulate or get reset. If anything under $0.50 gets thrown away then it is like 625 free messages per month.

It seems pretty damn clear to me, you'll get the invoice if you owe more than $0.50 (otherwise, it'll just accrue until billable).

Thanked by (1)mikho

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@tetech said:
    Actually the email to me was slightly different:

On March 1, 2020, we will automatically transition your account to the new Flex plan, a pay-as-you-go plan comparable to the Concept plan you’re currently on. You’ll receive your first invoice under the new plan on April 1 if your amount due is greater than $0.50. According to your usage in December, your invoice under the new price per message of $0.0008 would have been $0 for December. It’s a modest change, but we wanted to be transparent about it.

I removed my information from that part, to keep my amount of emails a secret :)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• i am using mailgun free plan to send email but not got such email yet
    usage approx 4K/10K allowed

maybe usage under 5K. thanks for letting know @mikho will plan inadvance

• @vpsGOD said: i am using mailgun free plan to send email but not got such email yet

maybe the email still on queue, I got the email on two different date :
    1st : Jan 30 (company)
    2nd : Feb 1 (personal)

Thanked by (1)vpsGOD
  • @hey said:

@vpsGOD said: i am using mailgun free plan to send email but not got such email yet

maybe the email still on queue, I got the email on two different date :
    1st : Jan 30 (company)
    2nd : Feb 1 (personal)

Yes, they are going out in batches, I have been getting them from Jan 30 until today on behalf of different charities I do stuff for.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I am still using mandrillapp/mailchimp like a chump, might switch that looks a lot cheaper, although a lot of people have suggested amazon SES for best delivery.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I am still using mandrillapp/mailchimp like a chump, might switch that looks a lot cheaper, although a lot of people have suggested amazon SES for best delivery.

If you use shared IP, my experience is SES > SendGrid > Mailgun > Mailchimp for deliverability. In fact my mail server flags anything from Mailchimp since there is so much abuse. SendGrid is becoming almost as bad.

Thanked by (1)vimalware