Presenting yet-another uptime monitoring tool -- uptime.gd

Hey all! :)

Building a multi-location monitoring tool is something that's been at the back of my mind for a while now, while there are so so many of them already in the market with various cool features, I still thought why not build yet-another monitoring tool, so well, here goes,

URL: https://uptime.gd

Signup is free, the service is free too.

Locations:

We're currently monitoring from 3 locations,

• Paris, New Jersey and Singapore.

Plan on adding more to the mix with 1 more location from Asia, 2 more in the US (West and Central) and 1 in South America or Africa.

Notes:

• The monitoring itself works, multi-location checks for each monitor and downtime detection too works.
  • The UI is a bit WIP, but works where required too.

• There is NO DOWNTIME ALERTING setup/available for now, except within the website itself, "why?" Because I want the service to be solid and not start sending out false alerts on the slightest of increase in monitors/probes, because there's nothing worse than Alert Fatigue. Once I'm sure the service doesn't falter on the alerting/detection logic, I'll enable various Alert Transports like Slack, Telegram, Discord, Webhooks etc for the alerts to get to wherever you like :)

• This is "mixed" personal project, that's completely built and supported by me but that's owned by my work and most likely should remain free under fair-usage (don't add 1000s of monitors please :)

• There is no SLA/guarantee -- uptime.gd might/will(?) break, I've pretty much written this over the course of 3-4 days across the past week. Tested it where I can, things do work, but still, might completely break.

Any constructive feedback is welcome :smile: :+1:

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

Comments

• Registered, thanks :)

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • Registered, thanks :)

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited December 2023

My 2c:

1)
    https://uptime.gd/favicon.ico

2)
    Naked domains make baby Jesus cry.
    :)

Best of luck with the project.

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Looks pretty good! Straightforward UI without shenanigans.

I've thrown in a bunch of servers, let's see how it goes.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin SpeedBus

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @bikegremlin said:
    My 2c:

1)
    https://uptime.gd/favicon.ico

2)
    Naked domains make baby Jesus cry.
    :)

Best of luck with the project.

Also gives the Yeti the diabeetus

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• Nice project! Added a few sites.

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • Works well :smile:

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • @SpeedBus said:

Building a multi-location monitoring tool is something that's been at the back of my mind for a while now, while there are so so many of them already in the market with various cool features, I still thought why not build yet-another monitoring tool, so well, here goes,

Locations:

Plan on adding more to the mix with 1 more location from Asia, 2 more in the US (West and Central) and 1 in South America or Africa.

Notes:

• The monitoring itself works, multi-location checks for each monitor and downtime detection too works.

• There is NO DOWNTIME ALERTING setup/available for now, except within the website itself, "why?" Because I want the service to be solid and not start sending out false alerts on the slightest of increase in monitors/probes, because there's nothing worse than Alert Fatigue. Once I'm sure the service doesn't falter on the alerting/detection logic, I'll enable various Alert Transports like Slack, Telegram, Discord, Webhooks etc for the alerts to get to wherever you like :)

• This is "mixed" personal project, that's completely built and supported by me but that's owned by my work and most likely should remain free under fair-usage (don't add 1000s of monitors please :)

• There is no SLA/guarantee -- uptime.gd might/will(?) break, I've pretty much written this over the course of 3-4 days across the past week. Tested it where I can, things do work, but still, might completely break.

I registered and my website requires mtls and a log in. I'm not sure how to add this. 😕 it just shows up. And it seems there's no way to provide these info...

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

About half the buttons on the site don't work? Can't navigate to what is presumably a simple static page - pricing. Stats page - endless spinning logo.

Harsh perhaps...but an uptime site...has to be UP...and functional...

Thanked by (2)carlin0 SpeedBus
  • Yep, a hard pre-alpha stage. Get your basics done properly and oush it to the beta at least.

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • UI looks good as always, expecting to see the completed version in the near future <3

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I do apologize for the lack of updates, the past week I've spent time tidying up the backend, preventing random odd things that were happening :)

The statistics page was put in to give a bit of insight to the status of the project (ie, checks are running/processing live etc), but I feel now that without any labels on the 3 columns it doesn't explain much, I'll work on this soon too.

The primary goal of this post/introduction was to check if the backend and basic functions can handle their functions well enough (hence the disabled alert transports etc), Looking at the home page, it has been very WIP, and so far has been a 2nd goal of mine, but I do understand that it's important and gives more credibility to the project as well. I'll be shifting my focus onto this now.

The pricing page etc will be removed, we don't have any pricing plans in mind for the moment :)

Just to summarise what works,

• checks are running live
    • you can add hosts
    • you can edit hosts (rename/set custom name, change hostname)
    • and downtime detection is working too.

More updates to follow in the coming days :+1:

Thanked by (4)amj bikegremlin 0xC7 carlin0

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• I created a monitor but get 500 errors when trying to manage it

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

404 Error: Signature Not Found

@vitobotta said:
    I created a monitor but get 500 errors when trying to manage it

Thanks for reporting, has been fixed, was an issue with the uptime calculation logic when the hostname is just added in :)

• @SpeedBus said:

@vitobotta said:
    I created a monitor but get 500 errors when trying to manage it

Thanks for reporting, has been fixed, was an issue with the uptime calculation logic when the hostname is just added in :)

If you need a hand man let me know. I have some time the next couple weeks and would not mind helping out

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

Hey all,
    Just an update on this, a lot of work on the backend the past month to allow uptime.gd to function well enough without much intervention / maintenance being required, and so far it seems to have helped, 39306678 (39 million!) checks completed so far :)

Dark Mode is now available as well under the profile section once logged in, a 4th monitoring probe was added in last month as well.

I also aim to keep the changelog (https://uptime.gd/changelog) updated with the latest changes/updates pushed in.

With downtime detection now working well enough, I'm looking forward to moving towards Alert Transports this month, so that we can start testing out alerts delivery as well :)

After which I suppose I can add in HTTP status code checks and then SSL certificate checks.

A big thanks to everyone's feedback and suggestions in this thread and everyone who has used the service as well.

More updates to follow! :)

Thanked by (4)Brueggus Decicus amj _MS_

• JabJab
    edited January 11

I think I broke something - on purpose I've added 2 monitors for currently offline services... 15 minutes later they show 100% uptime and status up.
    308 309

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@SpeedBus said:

Locations:

Notes:

Do you want a small server for a probe?

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

Good luck with the project :)

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

@Jab said:
    I think I broke something - on purpose I've added 2 monitors for currently offline services... 15 minutes later they show 100% uptime and status up.
    308 309

Ah I see what happened here -- so basically, when a probe is added in, it's assumed to be "UP" and uptime initialized as 100%, and then the downtime falls downwards from there, while this usually works fine, the bug you mentioned is quite interesting for sure where the monitor is down right from minute 1. Let me think of a way around this (ideally, I can assume the uptime to be 0% when the monitor is added and then grow from there too I guess?)

• edited January 11

What language are you writing the test agents/site backend in? What's the tech stack?

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

@LowEnd said:
    What language are you writing the test agents/site backend in? What's the tech stack?

Hey!
    The frontend/website side is all Laravel and a mix of some plain PHP scripts to handle some tasks/cleanup etc, the backend test agents are written in Golang :)

Thanked by (1)LowEnd