c1vhosting review: not recommended

Yes this is a cross-post from ogf.

I figure i have to give you guys for more context since me (as the direct buyer) partially responsible for this.
To make one thing clear: I'm not selling account. I already registered using my org email to begin with.


this is how all of this began, i think it's from the 900GB storage vps, but i need KVM and 1 IPv4. so i got a supposedly custom invoice:

notice anything wrong?. yep, a provider asking for f&f is a giant red flag and I should've stopped there. retard me still did the payment though (it ended more than $20).

Anyway, this is the review:


Full Review
I have two services with this provider.

let's get into the VPS first. tl;dr it's a piece of disappointment.

YABS:

root@debian:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2024-01-01                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 01 Mar 2024 07:26:03 PM PST

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 15 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes
Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
CPU cores  : 2 @ 2599.998 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 1.9 GiB
Swap       : 975.0 MiB
Disk       : 883.9 GiB
Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel     : 5.10.0-28-amd64
VM Type    : KVM
IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
---------------------------------
ISP        : Cinzia Tocci trading as C1V
ASN        : AS212271 Cinzia Tocci trading as C1V
Host       : C1V di Cinzia Tocci
Location   : Pomezia, Lazio (62)
Country    : Italy

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 27.75 MB/s    (6.9k) | 94.29 MB/s    (1.4k)
Write      | 27.78 MB/s    (6.9k) | 94.79 MB/s    (1.4k)
Total      | 55.53 MB/s   (13.8k) | 189.09 MB/s   (2.9k)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 1.70 GB/s     (3.3k) | 176.56 MB/s    (172)
Write      | 1.79 GB/s     (3.5k) | 188.31 MB/s    (183)
Total      | 3.50 GB/s     (6.8k) | 364.87 MB/s    (355)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
---------------------------------
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | 384 Mbits/sec   | 33.5 ms        
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 367 Mbits/sec   | 32.3 ms        
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | 377 Mbits/sec   | 32.6 ms        
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 127 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 116 ms         
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | 239 Mbits/sec   | 102 ms         
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | busy            | 304 Mbits/sec   | 135 ms         
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 225 Mbits/sec   | 156 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
---------------------------------
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 234                           
Multi Core      | 358                           
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5138003

YABS completed in 58 min 8 sec

overall hetrixtools data past 5 ~months can be seen here, but my active usage experience can be reflected in this one:

I also ranted about this in the enough is enough thread.

100mbps network transfer was expected, well, I was paying for 400mbps network after all. and in the early start of this vps, I can do ~200mbps transfer just fine (not speedtest workload).

CPU Steal and IOwait are high in c1vhosting, a simple action like saving text in cli text editor took 5-10 seconds when it should be almost instant (not even writing 1kb file, cmon).

I might be able to cope with bad cpu/io, but having bad network is a death sentence of VPS for me. my usage case value network connection, if I'll only get spotty 30mbps I can use my own basement connection from narnia.


moving on with VPN review..
well there is no review because I didn't received the service that I paid for. so I'll just tell you how bad their behavior is at handling customer complain.

it's all started with I can no longer to be able to download my vpn config after they said the new wireguard system is up.

yes, until this day (02/Mar/2024) i still unable to download my config too.

I did sent email to support with no reply.

for some reason, c1vhosting doesn't acknowledge this as an issue, they also don't want to do a direct check to my Service id 2489. what even the point of service id if you can't look it up directly in your system?

I tried to message them in telegram, but they insist my mail doesn't received in their end (uhh.. not my problem?), during this time I also have made sure my email can send email properly even to gmail. thanks mxroute on this one.

so much for "automated" contact center, at this point I have to step back thinking I was talking to a chatbot, so it won't probably helps any further.

I have already disappointed enough from them receiving my complain with identifiable service id but give no action for it. it's understandable if you're medium or bigger business where there are multiple department to do their own things, but this c1vhosting are just with someone named Luca Marini with nobody else mentioned. in another vps provider, they'll tell me directly if i was in wrong channel (like asking for technical information to Sales, but then Sales will just guide me to contact the Technical department). nope, nada, c1vhosting just don't want to handle my service id. *shrug*

I already moved all of my data from c1vhosting, it's just not worth it using something that barely alive, have downtime way too many to count every week, and still have to struggle with bad performance. conclusion: not recommended.

well, unless you're into that kind of thing i guess, i won't kinkshame.


I personally disappointed too. I was getting this vps in hope my friend can utilize this comfortably. but nope, c1vhosting just decide not to give a shit about performance. my kvm hdd vps in ramnode never have cpu steal even once.

After doing some digging about Luca Marini, also found out how bad he is at handling customer service. I.. can't find the right word for this, this person is just have no honor. really need to learn how you talk to other people as they're human(interpersonal skill), you're in the low market dude, your holier-than-thou corporate bullshit speak is laughable. I can't even fathom how I could eat or feed my family with money that I got from other people even though you could argue it's still "legal".

It sure is legal, the transaction is accepted, but the way you ignore about performance issue, or the way you're too dense(pretend to be retarded?) to act fixing vpn account when it's already shown the id, really shows how low you are.

I will never touch this provider ever again, and in the future when I have to buy new vps from italian provider, I'll make sure they have no Luca Marini name in there.

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

«1

Comments

  • your order boss @cybertech


    also, if anyone want to use this vps (since I'm not really actively using it), send me a dm.
    here's the catch: I'm testing a kernel module that record user input, you might want to avoid if you have privacy concern.

    Thanked by (1)cybertech

    Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

  • edited March 16

    @Encoders said: a provider asking for f&f is a giant red flag

    1. May I ask what "f&f" is since I'm not an English native speaker and failed to spot any words starting with 'F' in the screenshot.
    2. My Black Friday VPS is worthy of the money (about 5 USD) which is not fantastic but satisfying enough.
    3. And Luca was kind and responsive when something went wrong.
    Thanked by (1)wankel

    MicroLXC is lovable.

  • edited March 16

    @bliss said:
    May I ask what "f&f" is since I'm not an English native speaker and failed to spot any words starting with 'F' in the screenshot.

    look after €18.20, f&f or "friends and family" transfer method is the type of transaction that outside of 180days buyer protection, there are no chargeback options whatsoever.

    I think I must add to anyone with half assed experience coping with the low price, well, good for you man, but it's still something that I wouldn't recommend to anyone else to use. hence, the thread title is not recommended

    Thanked by (1)bliss

    Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

    Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.
    I'm sure this will help other LESbians make an informed decision (whichever way that might turn).

    <3

    A suggestion (goes for any kind of review):
    It's usually good to leave out the personal (ad hominem) stuff - or at least keep it at a minimum.
    What do I mean?
    IMO, it is more than enough to share the performance stats and describe the experience.
    Others can read how a support problem was handled and decide for themselves if a provider is "pretending to be retarded."

    Relja

    Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

    @c1vhosting care to comment

    Thanked by (1)c1vhosting

    I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

  • I had the same issue with the "VPN appears to be disabled" for one I bought around the same time as OP. I'm guessing when c1v changed it to be wireguard (which is 1000% preferable, of course) they didn't reprovision or reboot or something. I sent them an email per their support template and within a couple hours they had it fixed, and I've been able to use it.

    The speeds aren't amazing, but passable for basic browsing and at least 720p video streams. And I'm not sure I'd trust it for any sort of "private" or "secure" browsing like banking or whatnot. But it was 1€ so honestly, meh to that part.

    However, I will say, needing to send an email was a bit frustrating as opposed to a ticket system. I know this has been mentioned before, but that would be much preferable. And also, c1v just did a "new website redesign launch" but still doesn't have a ticket system in there. Nor do I see any way to cancel the "VPN Extreme" service (the only one I have), and really don't want to send yet another email about a 1€ service, but I also don't want to be charged again, so I'm hoping that gets sorted before December rolls around.

    Thanked by (1)c1vhosting
  • edited March 16

    @SocksAreComfortable said: However, I will say, needing to send an email was a bit frustrating as opposed to a ticket system.

    Yeah, I second this though the reply was timely.

    By the way, the default language of the website is Italian instead of English.
    I really love Italy but it may be too early to learn Italian because I've been busy practicing my second foreign language.

    But if most C1V's customers speak Italian then I can tolerate two more clicks every time I login to change display language.

    Thanked by (1)c1vhosting

    MicroLXC is lovable.

  • To his defence, Luca has been quite consistent with his opinion on chargeback, so PayPal F&F doesn't necessarily raise any alarms for me, considering that it is used to be bank transfer + crypto only.

    Thanked by (1)c1vhosting
  • edited March 16

    @Encoders said: there are no chargeback options whatsoever.

    There is a chargeback option if you paid with a card via paypal. There's no paypal dispute option.
    There's this misconception that "friends and family" paypal payment can't be reversed, but it's actually the other way around. It's not just the buyer who loses paypal protection but also seller. In case of credit card chargeback disputing of "friends and family" paypal payment it's a seller who's screwed by default, because paypal won't do there a shit. Seller can't fight a case.

  • @Encoders said:
    Yes this is a cross-post from ogf.

    ...

    a provider asking for f&f is a giant red flag and I should've stopped there.

    Just an alternative opinion for balance, as I'm kind of getting what I'd expect given the price.

    Not wishing to make any case for or against, but a VPS with 900MB of storage for €1.50 per month should have raised more eyebrows than F&F on Paypal. I took the exact same deal you have, same terms, eyes wide open, as a punt.

    The multiple issues and outages in the first two months made it look like I lost the gamble and would have to write off €18, but mine's been up nearly a full quarter now, performance is poor but I use it mainly for the storage and run background services, not much interactive.

    From the comments on OGF, both customers and provider, I'm not expecting great/any customer service, but if the last month's performance continues for the rest of the year I may well renew if still available. Just for what I use it for and the price I'd have to pay for that elsewhere.

    Thanked by (2)tmntwitw c1vhosting
  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider

    @Mumbly said:

    @Encoders said: there are no chargeback options whatsoever.

    There is a chargeback option if you paid with a card via paypal. There's no paypal dispute option.
    There's this misconception that "friends and family" paypal payment can't be reversed, but it's actually the other way around. It's not just the buyer who loses paypal protection but also seller. In case of credit card chargeback disputing of "friends and family" paypal payment it's a seller who's screwed by default, because paypal won't do there a shit. Seller can't fight a case.

    Isn't F&F forbidden to be used for business activity?

    Thanked by (2)yoursunny carlin0
  • @skhron said: Isn't F&F forbidden to be used for business activity?

    Yes it is.
    It's clearly optional transaction for "friends and family", but this wasn't what I was talking about.

    Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

    @skhron said:

    @Mumbly said:

    @Encoders said: there are no chargeback options whatsoever.

    There is a chargeback option if you paid with a card via paypal. There's no paypal dispute option.
    There's this misconception that "friends and family" paypal payment can't be reversed, but it's actually the other way around. It's not just the buyer who loses paypal protection but also seller. In case of credit card chargeback disputing of "friends and family" paypal payment it's a seller who's screwed by default, because paypal won't do there a shit. Seller can't fight a case.

    Isn't F&F forbidden to be used for business activity?

    this is shocking to know!

    I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

  • @skhron said:

    @Mumbly said:

    @Encoders said: there are no chargeback options whatsoever.

    There is a chargeback option if you paid with a card via paypal. There's no paypal dispute option.
    There's this misconception that "friends and family" paypal payment can't be reversed, but it's actually the other way around. It's not just the buyer who loses paypal protection but also seller. In case of credit card chargeback disputing of "friends and family" paypal payment it's a seller who's screwed by default, because paypal won't do there a shit. Seller can't fight a case.

    Isn't F&F forbidden to be used for business activity?

    Perhaps it should be reported to Paypal

    "He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

  • edited March 16

    If I am not wrong, c1vhosting did not have PayPal as an official payment method yet at that point of time (October 2023 as shown on OP's screenshot).

    I think it might be that the F&F was just an ad hoc alternative payment method via DM for those who can't pay by the other methods.

    Thanked by (2)wankel c1vhosting
  • edited March 16

    @tmntwitw said: I think it might be that the F&F was just an ad hoc alternative payment method via DM for those who can't pay by the other methods.

    Nah, with paypal you have two options, regular payment and less common F&F payment.
    He could accept regular payment, but requested F&F payment to avoid paying paypal fees.

    Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @cybertech said:
    @c1vhosting care to comment

    Seeing no reply, maybe the business is only running during business hours?

    I have a few services from him as well. So far, my only complaint / worry is that the prices might not be sustainable.

    Seeing what I get for the price, I hope he makes it.

    I have an .it-domain with another provider; their services are stable but the service much worse (Italian only, multiple business days return time on emails, no ticketing system, DNS with only A, CNAME and MX published through their web interface). It is not even a budget provider, as far as I can see from their marketing.

    Thanked by (2)tmntwitw c1vhosting
  • @cybertech said:

    @skhron said:
    Isn't F&F forbidden to be used for business activity?

    this is shocking to know!

    It's a popular way to avoid paying Paypal fees. If the seller is reliable, this is a better way to pay as this is same as handing him your cash for your product. And yes, there is no chargeback on this...

    If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider

    @somik said: If the seller is reliable, this is a better way to pay as this is same as handing him your cash for your product.

    I am not sure what opinion tax office has on it.

    Thanked by (1)carlin0
  • @skhron said:

    @somik said: If the seller is reliable, this is a better way to pay as this is same as handing him your cash for your product.

    I am not sure what opinion tax office has on it.

    The same opinion they have when I buy second hand items from carousell and go pick it up in person and hand them my cash.

    In other words, None.

    If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

  • c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider
    edited March 17

    @bliss said: My Black Friday VPS is worthy of the money (about 5 USD) > which is not fantastic but satisfying enough.
    And Luca was kind and responsive when something went wrong.

    @SocksAreComfortable said: I had the same issue with the "VPN appears to be disabled" for one I bought around the same time as OP. I'm guessing when c1v changed it to be wireguard (which is 1000% preferable, of course) they didn't reprovision or reboot or something. I sent them an email per their support template and within a couple hours they had it fixed, and I've been able to use it.

    @bliss said: Yeah, I second this though the reply was timely.

    @RachelMcAdams said: To his defence, Luca has been quite consistent with his opinion on chargeback, so PayPal F&F doesn't necessarily raise any alarms for me, considering that it is used to be bank transfer + crypto only.

    @cochon said: Just an alternative opinion for balance, as I'm kind of getting what I'd expect given the price.

    Not wishing to make any case for or against, but a VPS with 900MB of storage for €1.50 per month should have raised more eyebrows than F&F on Paypal. I took the exact same deal you have, same terms, eyes wide open, as a punt.

    The multiple issues and outages in the first two months made it look like I lost the gamble and would have to write off €18, but mine's been up nearly a full quarter now, performance is poor but I use it mainly for the storage and run background services, not much interactive.

    From the comments on OGF, both customers and provider, I'm not expecting great/any customer service, but if the last month's performance continues for the rest of the year I may well renew if still available. Just for what I use it for and the price I'd have to pay for that elsewhere.

    @tmntwitw said: If I am not wrong, c1vhosting did not have PayPal as an official payment method yet at that point of time (October 2023 as shown on OP's screenshot).

    I think it might be that the F&F was just an ad hoc alternative payment method via DM for those who can't pay by the other methods.

    @wankel said: I have a few services from him as well. So far, my only complaint / worry is that the prices might not be sustainable.

    Seeing what I get for the price, I hope he makes it.

    I have an .it-domain with another provider; their services are stable but the service much worse (Italian only, multiple business days return time on emails, no ticketing system, DNS with only A, CNAME and MX published through their web interface). It is not even a budget provider, as far as I can see from their marketing.

    Everything makes sense here.

    C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

  • c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

    Premise: I will be very critical by responding to every single "allegation" to make the situation clear to everyone. At the bottom you will find the comment.

    @Encoders said: notice anything wrong?. yep, a provider asking for f&f is a giant red flag and I should've stopped there. retard me still did the payment though (it ended more than $20).

    We have been officially accepting PayPal payments for months. As someone else said, it was a commercial gesture, at the time, to help you, I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it.

    @Encoders said: c1vhosting just decide not to give a shit about performance.

    I'm sure that at a price like this you won't find anything better. We will do our best to improve, but your help is also needed to allow us to improve (instead of going against us you could help us improve: the so-called feedback is already a starting point).

    @Encoders said: It sure is legal, the transaction is accepted, but the way you ignore about performance issue, or the way you're too dense(pretend to be retarded?) to act fixing vpn account when it's already shown the id, really shows how low you are.

    I understand your frustration, but I don't understand why you're trying to make these things difficult when you could have just messaged LES here (like we chatted here) if you had any questions about it.

    @Encoders said: c1vhosting just don't want to handle my service id

    Why are you saying this if it was asked you to send the email again and you didn't?

    @Encoders said: I will never touch this provider ever again, and in the future when I have to buy new vps from italian provider, I'll make sure they have no Luca Marini name in there.

    This is way too much.


    Anyway, thanks for your review. We will evaluate it to improve.
    I appreciate your evaluation, even if not positive, because it will give us a way to improve. Like everyone, we are not perfect but we can learn from our mistakes every day!

    For any questions about your services, you can contact us at our contact details that you already know or I will even be available via DM for clarification on the matter.

    C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

    what intense user comments!

    I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

  • @cybertech said:
    what intense user comments!

    I had a sensible chuckle. really beyond saving.

    Thanked by (1)cybertech

    Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

  • In my opinion they should take away the provider tag here as well

    "He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

  • webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider
    edited March 18

    VPS with 900MB of storage for €1.50 per month :# eek!
    probably doesn't even cover bw or power.

  • @carlin0 said:
    In my opinion they should take away the provider tag here as well

    +1

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

    This has already been discussed.
    It’s a low end provider with some flaws (now already well-known on LES).

    So, as I said:
    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/171942/#Comment_171942

    Thanked by (1)remy

    Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

  • @carlin0 said:
    In my opinion they should take away the provider tag here as well

    -1

    Thanked by (2)wankel tmntwitw
  • @bikegremlin said:
    This has already been discussed.
    It’s a low end provider with some flaws (now already well-known on LES).

    So, as I said:
    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/171942/#Comment_171942

    So anyone who has grievances for: bad services, undelivered services, missed refunds, and other such things can also thank you for allowing him to continue to do so

    "He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

Sign In or Register to comment.