c1vhosting review: not recommended

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited May 3

Nginx or Apache

What about Caddy (@yoursunny ) or lighttpd ?

@somik said

It's 2024. They could both me he or she or inbetween or both or none or a cat....

That would explain why HR keeps reminding of DEI

Squats are the new Push-ups

• edited May 3

Network down? again??

• @Smilence said:
    Network down? again??

Yes

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@Smilence said:
    Network down? again??

https://t.me/c1vhosting/325

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• @vyas said:

Nginx or Apache

What about Caddy (@yoursunny ) or lighttpd ?

Not to familier with caddy. Tried out lighttpd, but liked nginx more (personal preference); mainly cause nginx supports reverse proxies with more options.

@somik said

It's 2024. They could both me he or she or inbetween or both or none or a cat....

That would explain why HR keeps reminding of DEI

:lol:

Thanked by (1)vyas

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited May 3

Is your domain expired?

Domain:             c1vhosting.it
    Signed:             no
    Created:            2020-09-17 16:52:37
    Last Update:        2024-04-24 00:33:31
    Expire Date:        2024-04-23

Thanked by (4)bliss carlin0 TheDP adly

ServerStatus , slackvpn <-- openVPN auto install script for Slackware 15

• @vyas said:

Nginx or Apache

What about Caddy or lighttpd ?

I <3 Caddy. Started using it recently for my immich as a Reversezproxy. Super efficient. Works seamlessly on multi OS... auto LetsEncrypt ssl with renewal. And it just works.

+1

Thanked by (2)yoursunny vyas
  • Nothing wrong with low-low-end offers. However, there are a few things that are problematic with C1V, some of which are of a linguistic nature:

• A low-low-end offer is not a flash sale. A flash sale is to offer a product with a large discount in price, not performance. C1V offers products that are "you get what you pay for" or worse.
    • A restock is not adding more VMs in an existing node, a restock is adding more nodes. C1V presents overselling as restocking.
    • A datacenter is not a garage. C1V presents their garage as a high end datacenter and the company as multi-person entity (which, while theoretically possible, is in practice a one-man show)
    • Limiting CPU performance based on any linear or non-linear function, is not AI. C1V presents idiotic CPU throttling techniques as sophisticated technology.

And other examples like playing with words, for example:

"Don't order this server if you expect high performance as this is a low-end offering."

Where it should read:
    "Don't order this server if you expect ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶ normal performance as this is a low-end offering."

And there are very similar cheap "marketing" techniques and lies and signs of arrogance in many threads, and the whole thing has become comical.

At the end of the day, it's a free market but it's easy to understand why so many people are frustrated with C1V who feel that are being fooled or mislead

Now a few more things for kids like C1V to consider before entering in this business (hello Captain Obvious)

• Downtime is unaccepted even the service is free. Uptime has nothing to do with the price, but with the very fact that is a service.
    • Low end offers are not bad or "cheap' services. Low end offers are targeting people with knowledge and experience to setup stable and fault tolerant systems without needing any support.
    • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
  • edited May 3

@somik said: If you want premium service, pay premium. Go with AWS, Oracle cloud, or Azure. Don't loiter around LES/LET and go with random no-bodies offering bargain basement prices.

That's a strawman argument I am willing to challenge anytime.
    People at LES/LET don't look for premium service - we are looking to pay as little as possible for a DECENT (decent != premium) service. And in most cases, with some common sense, we succeed.
    Not all LES/LET hosts are completely terrible just because we don't overpay for service. In fact, we find here many decent, responsible hosting companies who know what they are doing and do it quite well.
    And then there are some completely incompetent, often lying charlatans, unable to deliver even semi-usable service. What you're doing in your failed arguments is equating LES/LET with those charlatans instead of the decent low-cost hosts we use on a daily basis. Please don't do that.

• edited May 3

The minimum requirement for SQL Server Express Edition for Linux (free for even commercial usage) requires

• 2 gb memory
    • 2 vCore
    • at least 6gb storage (20gb recommend)

Based on this c1v €10 VPS should be ok. Well it is not.

However with most other low end providers, it is not an issue.

PS: SQL Server Express Database Server for Windows has lower memory requirements.

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider
    edited May 3

@emperor said:

Is your domain expired?

It is not, it expires on: 23 apr 2025

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• @Mumbly said:

@somik said: If you want premium service, pay premium. Go with AWS, Oracle cloud, or Azure. Don't loiter around LES/LET and go with random no-bodies offering bargain basement prices.

People at LES/LET don't look for premium service - we are looking to pay as little as possible for a DECENT (decent != premium) service. And in most cases, with some common sense, we succeed.
    Not all LES/LET hosts are completely terrible just because we don't overpay for service.
    In fact, we find here many decent, responsible hosting companies who know what they are doing and do it quite well.

Here is one example of premium network from a low end provider

Location         Latency      Loss     DL Speed       UP Speed       Server

Amsterdam, NL     8.00 ms     0.0%    6614.78 Mbps   8717.90 Mbps   Melbicom - Amsterdam 
     London, UK        8.15 ms     0.0%    6911.66 Mbps   8811.76 Mbps   M247 Ltd - London
     Paris, FR         8.46 ms      N/A    6378.50 Mbps   4547.36 Mbps   ORANGE FRANCE - Paris
     Manchester, UK    9.03 ms      N/A    5963.46 Mbps   8183.64 Mbps   Vodafone UK - Manchester
     Eygelshoen, NL    9.76 ms     0.0%    5989.33 Mbps   2900.63 Mbps   SkyLink Data Center BV - Eygelshoven
     Dublin, IE       11.32 ms     0.0%    6481.77 Mbps   6457.92 Mbps   Three Ireland - Dublin

And then there are some completely incompetent, often lying charlatans, unable to deliver even semi-usable service.
    What you're doing in your failed arguments is equating LES/LET with those charlatans instead of the decent low-cost hosts we use on a daily basis. Please don't do that.

• @c1vhosting said:

@emperor said:

Is your domain expired?

It is not, it expires on: 23 apr 2025

* Please note that the following result could be a subgroup of      *
    * the data contained in the database.                               *
    * Additional information can be visualized at:                      *
    * http://web-whois.nic.it                                           *

OVH and NIC.it must be lying then :smiley:

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Mumbly said:

Not all LES/LET hosts are completely terrible just because we don't overpay for service. In fact, we find here many decent, responsible hosting companies who know what they are doing and do it quite well.
    And then there are some completely incompetent, often lying charlatans, unable to deliver even semi-usable service. What you're doing in your failed arguments is equating LES/LET with those charlatans instead of the decent low-cost hosts we use on a daily basis. Please don't do that.

I am not saying all LES/LET hosts are bad. What I am saying is that c1v's prices are bargain basement, along with his services. He is not charging you the same as other hosts and offering you bad service. He is providing you bad service at low low prices.

There aren't any "decent" host at these prices that offers better service.

• Waiting for @FatGrizzly to grab c1vhosting.it domain as soon as it expires and turn it into a rip site.

Thanked by (2)xvps FatGrizzly

HostBrr aff best VPS.
    We are impotent.

• @somik said: There aren't any "decent" host at these prices that offers better service.

Do you even care about what you actually get for your money, or are the numbers listed in the offers the only factors that interest you?

You can get more out of a semi-decent 1-2 GB memory VPS than C1V specs VPS, so...? There are PLENTY of hosts that offer way way better value for our money.
    This has nothing to do with our unrealistic expectations of a premium service for peanuts, but rather about hosts' responsible approach toward the service they are selling.

I hate to compare hosts, as everyone has their own uniqueness, but still, for the sake of argument... without cherry picking (that's most likely not even the best deal I got among 40 & something VPSes I have) 4GB memory VPS with nearly 100% uptime, instant ticket response (those things have some value too, right?) ... and those resources for around $13,30/year:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-04-22                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri May  3 08:25:08 AM EDT 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 100 days, 13 hours, 1 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7642 48-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2295.686 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 3.8 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 18.6 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-17-amd64
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : UK Dedicated Servers Limited
    ASN        : AS42831 UK Dedicated Servers Limited
    Host       : 365 Online Technology Joint Stock Company
    Location   : Coventry, England (ENG)
    Country    : United Kingdom

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 221.11 MB/s  (55.2k) | 3.09 GB/s    (48.4k)
    Write      | 221.69 MB/s  (55.4k) | 3.11 GB/s    (48.6k)
    Total      | 442.81 MB/s (110.7k) | 6.21 GB/s    (97.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 5.17 GB/s    (10.1k) | 5.68 GB/s     (5.5k)
    Write      | 5.44 GB/s    (10.6k) | 6.06 GB/s     (5.9k)
    Total      | 10.61 GB/s   (20.7k) | 11.74 GB/s   (11.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 6.75 Gbits/sec  | 2.02 Gbits/sec  | 4.43 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | 4.58 Gbits/sec  | 4.22 Gbits/sec  | --
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | busy            | busy            | 36.1 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.77 Gbits/sec  | 515 Mbits/sec   | 95.3 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 436 Mbits/sec   | 176 Mbits/sec   | 309 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.10 Gbits/sec  | 331 Mbits/sec   | 137 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.74 Gbits/sec  | 127 Mbits/sec   | 74.0 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 1.16 Gbits/sec  | 294 Mbits/sec   | 147 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 5.59 Gbits/sec  | 2.80 Gbits/sec  | 4.41 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | busy            | busy            | --
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.68 Gbits/sec  | 124 Mbits/sec   | 95.2 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 4.73 Mbits/sec  | 149 Mbits/sec   | 308 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 520 Mbits/sec   | 140 Mbits/sec   | 137 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.23 Gbits/sec  | 211 Mbits/sec   | 71.7 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 1.32 Gbits/sec  | 126 Mbits/sec   | 147 ms

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1189
    Multi Core      | 1166

Big numbers mean nothing if the service is so bad that you can't utilize them. They're just words on paper for people who don't know any better. But we are around long enough to know it better, right?

Even shitty 8gb memory abomination from Awmbilisim for $14,00/year perform better than my both back then more expensive C1V VPSes did - and that's not really a compliment. I would not recomment that one to anyone as well.

Thanked by (3)dev_vps Freek cybertech
  • edited May 3

@somik said:

I believe, for example , my $15 / year service with 1vCore Ryzen 7950x VPS is much better than €10 VPS. And that VPS is strong enough to be running Windows RDP and SQL Server database engine.

Overall plus points, much better computing power (GB5 score), stability, data rate, and online ticket based support system.

And this VPS is “worse than potato” provider’s own words.

Personally I don’t care if the data center is a premium or economy data center, but if provider claims leading and premium data center, he should be able to back his claim.

• edited May 3

I had $15/year VPS from c1v that was pretty powerful and “deal” on paper
    3 vCore
    3.2 GB memory
    1 TB HDD storage

And I managed to install Windows Server OS on it. It was working pretty good, I even shared screenshots.

But then stability factor kicked in.

All of sudden the data rate will go down to crawling speed that c1v blamed on ddos attacks and he accepted that this can (and will) occur at random times.

Power issues, where days of services were lost in 2023 end. I never got email for service extension for time lost.

Good thing is that he “allowed” me to transfer the service to someone who was looking for cheap storage with Windows RDP.

The service was transferred and buyer requested me not to reload linux os again (c1v offers limited os templates) as he was not sure how much time and effort will be needed to install Windows OS again.

I left the Windows OS as it is.

And it is, probably, among rare VPS on that $15 / year 1 TB storage offer that is being used as Windows RDP.

Lack of stability and proper online support were my reasons of letting it go.

Thank you, c1v, for allowing to me transfer that VPS service to another buyer.

• @somik said:

He is providing you bad service at low low prices.

I agree with your statement 100%

• We plan to upgrade our electrical system.

This operation includes the installation of a new electrical panel. These improvements aim to reduce disruptions to all services.

Maintenance will begin on May 3, 2024 at 5:50 PM CEST and will end around 6:20 PM CEST. While we expect no downtime due to our Tier-3 infrastructure design, you may notice a reboot on your server.

• JabJab
    edited May 3

We plan to upgrade our electrical system.

This operation includes the installation of a new electrical panel. These improvements aim to reduce disruptions to all services.

Maintenance will begin on May 3, 2024 at 5:50 PM CEST and will end around 6:20 PM CEST. While we expect no downtime due to our Tier-3 infrastructure design, you may notice a reboot on your server.

Tier-3 infrastructure design, no downtime, notice a reboot.

Received: from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12)
            by cloudflare-email.net (unknown) id VFG4Lsg9vm8j
            for <xxxxxx>; Fri, 03 May 2024 17:00:09 +0000

Past-future-now old man.

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said:

We plan to upgrade our electrical system.

Tier-3 infrastructure design, no downtime, notice a reboot.

DATA CENTER TIERS | 1, 2, 3 and 4
    https://constructandcommission.com/data-center-uptime-tiers-explained/

Thanked by (2)Encoders huginn
  • edited May 3

@somik said:

MS SQL Server 2019 Express Edition running on $1.35/month VPS

• potato is better

Thanked by (1)cold

HostBrr aff best VPS.
    We are impotent.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

so, reboot by design too?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG

@cybertech said:

Reboot versus autoboot

Squats are the new Push-ups

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited May 4

@vyas said:

@cybertech said:

Reboot versus autoboot

Tier-3™

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Mumbly said:

@somik said: There aren't any "decent" host at these prices that offers better service.

Do you even care about what you actually get for your money, or are the numbers listed in the offers the only factors that interest you?

Not really. I usually play with them on the first 1 to 2 days and then leave them to idle. I had a yearly server that I did not know existed till I got the renewal reminder...

@dev_vps said:

@somik said:

He is providing you bad service at low low prices.

I agree with your statement 100%

Glad you see what I said. I never said he is good. He may be as bad as (if not worse then) the Roman basement host we had in a few years back. But his prices are also that low as well. Cant expect much if the prices dont even cover the disk/bandwidth...

@cybertech said:

@vyas said:

@cybertech said:

Reboot versus autoboot

Tier-3™

Tier-3™ Rebooot™ with max Doowntime™

• It's like buying a beautiful package filled with excrement

• @itsdeadjim the nail on the head, couldn't agree more. Excellent write up!

@itsdeadjim said:

• You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Especially this last point baffles me. Several well respected members of this community, such as @Neoon , have indicated to have services at C1v that they're satisfied with. So it seems that c1vhosting does know how to provide 'proper' hosting services. However, he deliberately chooses to provide dreadful performance for his 'flash' sale package. But why? Flash sales, like you rightfully said, aren't a free pass to provide piss-poor performance. Neither is the 'get out of jail, free card' line 'Don't order this server if you expect high performance as this is a low-end offering.'. So what's the whole idea behind those 'flash' sales? Get more clients on paper to keep his mom shareholders happy?

Moreover, in the end this will only hurt your reputation; no way in hell that I will buy another service offering from c1vhosting nor will I recommend it to anyone, based on the experience I had with my flash sale package.

Thanked by (1): c1vhosting.
    LinuxFreek.com