VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• @VirMach consider hiring a priest :lol:

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited August 2023

@Sorata said:
    How about TYOC007, it had been offline dozens of days.

FYI the node TYOC007 is not offline. My VM on that node shows only 18 minutes of downtime in the last 45 days.

Thanked by (1)Sorata

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited August 2023

my san jose vps is still off until now, is there the same?

"Operation Timed Out After 90001 Milliseconds With 0 Bytes Received"

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@vgood said: "Operation Timed Out After 90001 Milliseconds With 0 Bytes Received"

What node are you on in SJC ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@vgood said: "Operation Timed Out After 90001 Milliseconds With 0 Bytes Received"

LAX2Z019 nodes. I want to try migration but it can't, the Migrate menu doesn't show any options.

• @vgood said:

@FrankZ said:

LAX2Z019 nodes. I want to try migration but it can't, the Migrate menu doesn't show any options.

So when you say, "My San Jose VPS" what you mean is "My Los Angeles VPS"? That's going to cause a bit of confusion. Perhaps rethink that strategy.

Thanked by (1)vgood
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@vgood said: LAX2Z019 nodes. I want to try migration but it can't, the Migrate menu doesn't show any options.

I'm also on that node in Los Angeles. The node is having issues for the last couple of days and there are no control panel options available at the moment. It is also on the Virmach status page, so he is aware.

08/13/2023 12:57 Last Updated 08/13/2023 12:58
    We're investigating and attempting to resolve an outage on LAX2Z019.

Don't try to migrate until things are completely fixed or you might break your VM and have further issues.

Thanked by (1)vgood

• @skorous said:

@vgood said:

So when you say, "My San Jose VPS" what you mean is "My Los Angeles VPS"? That's going to cause a bit of confusion. Perhaps rethink that strategy.

sorry I forgot, that's why I didn't explain the node code, the member panel felt very slow to open, and finally when I looked at the purchase email, the purchase at that time was San Jose. maybe I've moved nodes, I forgot too because this is indeed an old VPS. after finally opening the full VPS panel, it turned out that the node code was visible. sorry

• @FrankZ said: Don't try to migrate until things are completely fixed or you might break your VM and have further issues.

okay, thanks for reminding me.

• We need Debian 12 :-)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @risturiz said:
    We need Debian 12 :-)

maybe you just need to upgrade from debian 11

• I'm having trouble figuring out how to use netboot.xyz ISO and install Debian 12. After mounting the ISO, I change the boot order to 1. CD Rom 2. Hard disk and reboot the VPS.

When I select Debian 12 from the Distributions list then after a couple of seconds (it configures something network related) it takes me back to the main menu to select either to boot from local disk (which gets stuck if I choose it), distributions, tools etc. What step am I missing while doing the install?

• Can you find the disk when install?

Thanked by (1)KernelPanic
  • @KernelPanic said:
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to use netboot.xyz ISO and install Debian 12. After mounting the ISO, I change the boot order to 1. CD Rom 2. Hard disk and reboot the VPS.

When I select Debian 12 from the Distributions list then after a couple of seconds (it configures something network related) it takes me back to the main menu to select either to boot from local disk (which gets stuck if I choose it), distributions, tools etc. What step am I missing while doing the install?

I understand that this is not the answer you are looking for, but mounting the Debian Latest (12.1.0) ISO was faster for me.

Thanked by (2)KernelPanic FrankZ
  • It shows me the following screen on boot

When I choose Distributions -> Linux Network Installs -> Debian -> 12 -> Text Based Install, it shows this screen for a few seconds and then takes me back to that first screen with those options. I'm not sure where to look for the disk on these 2 screens.

• edited August 2023

@tototo said:

I understand that this is not the answer you are looking for, but mounting the Debian Latest (12.1.0) ISO was faster for me.

Thanks. Till now I thought it was the Debian 10 ISO (at-least as per the SolusVM which only contains Debian 10 ISO), so I didn't try the "Debian Latest" in the WHMCS. Looks like that will do the trick. Thanks for pointing that out!

EDIT: What's the best way to do a minimal install using this ISO?

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@KernelPanic said:
    It shows me the following screen on boot

When I choose Distributions -> Linux Network Installs -> Debian -> 12 -> Text Based Install, it shows this screen for a few seconds and then takes me back to that first screen with those options. I'm not sure where to look for the disk on these 2 screens.

this is what i encountered as well. also tried mounting debian 12 iso, but it installs debian 11 instead. did not test any further and went back to deb11 template

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    this is what i encountered as well. also tried mounting debian 12 iso, but it installs debian 11 instead.

Which node? I'm on RYZE.CHI-Z027.VMS

• @cybertech said:
    this is what i encountered as well. also tried mounting debian 12 iso, but it installs debian 11 instead. did not test any further and went back to deb11 template

I just installed using the Debian latest in expert mode and it did install Debian 12. Now just trying to figure out if there is any other minimal installation option available or that's pretty much it.

• @KernelPanic said:
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to use netboot.xyz ISO and install Debian 12. After mounting the ISO, I change the boot order to 1. CD Rom 2. Hard disk and reboot the VPS.

There's a bug with one of the newer Netboot versions and QEMU. It's not a Virmach thing specifically.

• is virmach legit?

• @kalio said:
    is virmach legit?

No.

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @kalio said:
    is virmach legit?

is Virmach perfect and 100% smooth all of the time? no (who is?)
    are there sometimes some periods with great challenges on some servers? yes
    is it a great idea to use a super cheap flash sale special for mission critical production? probably not

does most challenges and hickups get resolved and handled fairly? yes
    do most VPS servers run extremely reliably most of the time? yes
    is it most of the time the best value for money out there? yes

do I feel he does his best and has good and honest intentions? yes
    do I trust and respect Virmach? absolutely yes

So depending on your criteria for "legit", I'd say, yes. :)

• well said, could not say it any better.

• @ZA_capetown said:

@kalio said:
    is virmach legit?

is it a great idea to use a super cheap flash sale special for mission critical production? probably not

Wait, I thought it was one big pleasure misson from a masochist.

I'd never use them, but I'd have given up long ago tbh so kudos for keeping going Virmache

• edited August 2023

@ZA_capetown said:

@kalio said:
    is virmach legit?

thanks for yours insight

Thanked by (1)ZA_capetown
  • edited August 2023

I moved the site out of the NJ node a long time ago, and I guess it was a smart move, at least for now it's stable.

Thanked by (1)nightcat
  • TYOC007 offline?

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited August 2023

@tulipyun said:
    TYOC007 offline?

yes, it appears so.

EDIT: Back online as of ~7 hours ago.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited August 2023

@virmach Do you have the ability to add IPv6 in Amsterdam ?
    If so, is there a one time fee I can pay to add IPv6 to a $20/year VM on AMSD026.
    HE IPv6 tunnels are really just not working out very well in that location.
    Just asking. not that big of a deal if you can't, or don't want to.

EDIT: Added website (https) monitor stats for today to show what I am seeing relative to IPv4 on same node and native IPv6 on my VPS at VirMach FrankZfort.

Amsterdam node: AMSD026 IPv4

Amsterdam node: AMSD026 with HE tunnel IPv6

Frankfurt node FFME006 with native IPv6

Thanked by (1)ZA_capetown