Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• @angstrom said:

@vbloods said:
    i like sisters.

Maybe try to grow up a bit? If growing up a bit is too difficult, then minimally: keep that on the other forum.

At least I don't joke about 10,000 dead people.

Congrats on your childish post.

@angstrom said:

@uptime said:

Seriously, these days, for some reason, I have a craving for a Corona beer. I'm going to check the supermarket a bit later to see whether they have any!

• @vbloods said: At least I don't joke about 10,000 dead people.

Who joked about 10000 dead people?

First of all, there's nothing wrong with Corona beer (which I've had on a number of occasions).

I said that I had a craving for a Corona beer in reaction to that cartoon, and that cartoon was in no way a joke about 10000 dead people, and neither was my statement that I had a craving for a Corona beer a joke about 10000 dead people. Not to mention that the cartoon and my reaction were posted 10 days ago (on March 14).

Even if you didn't appreciate my saying that I had a craving for a Corona beer in reaction to that cartoon, what does this have to do with your sexist comment in this thread started by a female representative of Hetzner -- a sexist comment that is also completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread? Not to mention a sexist comment that is in addition so old and tired and unoriginal: if you're really inclined to make an irrelevant sexist comment, at least try to be more original.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I want a corona beer too @angstrom

Thanked by (2)angstrom uptime

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @angstrom said:

@vbloods said: At least I don't joke about 10,000 dead people.

Who joked about 10000 dead people?

First of all, there's nothing wrong with Corona beer (which I've had on a number of occasions).

I said that I had a craving for a Corona beer in reaction to that cartoon, and that cartoon was in no way a joke about 10000 dead people, and neither was my statement that I had a craving for a Corona beer a joke about 10000 dead people. Not to mention that the cartoon and my reaction were posted 10 days ago (on March 14).

Even if you didn't appreciate my saying that I had a craving for a Corona beer in reaction to that cartoon, what does this have to do with your sexist comment in this thread started by a female representative of Hetzner -- a sexist comment that is also completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread? Not to mention a sexist comment that is in addition so old and tired and unoriginal: if you're really inclined to make an irrelevant sexist comment, at least try to be more original.

whatever , i'm busy , you win .

• edited March 2020

@vbloods said: whatever , i'm busy , you win .

Wow, is this the best that you can do? Am disappoint.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Uh, guys..

C'mon.. really?

Thanked by (2)FlamingSpaceJunk flips

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Corona beer has rebranded to prevent being confused with coronavirus (don't remember whether I got this pic from here):

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @willie said:
    Corona beer has rebranded to prevent being confused with coronavirus (don't remember whether I got this pic from here):

prem beer.

• @Neoon said:

@willie said:
    Corona beer has rebranded to prevent being confused with coronavirus (don't remember whether I got this pic from here):

prem beer.

@Jord is that you?

• @seriesn said:

@Neoon said:

@willie said:

prem beer.

@Jord is that you?

My cover has been blown, fuck.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

We had some good news the other day: We beat our monthly record of number of newly deployed servers...by one. It's a small victory, but we'll take what we can get.
    Our teams in the DC have been working really, really hard, and I just wanted to give them some props. --Katie

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• Congrats to all the team at Hetzner!
    Keep up the great work you're doing.

Yours,
    Satisfied customer :)

• @Hetzner_OL A quick question that crosses my mind every now and then:
    I am using Hetzner Cloud quite often to just test a few things here and there but sometimes even CX11 seems a bit to "powerful". :P
    It would be very nice to have a small (IPv6-only) instance (512MB RAM, 1vCPU, 10GB disk) for "next to nothing" - any plans on this? :D

Thanked by (2)iandk adly
  • @Elmo said:
    Congrats to all the team at Hetzner!
    Keep up the great work you're doing.

Yours,
    Satisfied customer :)

Indeed. Rack, stack, and deploy is hardwork.

I'm not a customer, but I appreciate the effort.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

@Bochi said:
    @Hetzner_OL A quick question that crosses my mind every now and then:
    I am using Hetzner Cloud quite often to just test a few things here and there but sometimes even CX11 seems a bit to "powerful". :P
    It would be very nice to have a small (IPv6-only) instance (512MB RAM, 1vCPU, 10GB disk) for "next to nothing" - any plans on this? :D

Several years ago we had a Raspberry Pi with an ARM processor on it - at least, I think I am remembering that correctly. Unfortunately, there wasn't much demand for it, so we discontinued it.
    I don't think we have any plans at the moment to offer a smaller Cloud package, but I will pass on your feedback to the dev team. Thanks for the feedback!! :D --Katie

Thanked by (1)Bochi

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• Nah, the unit economics just don't make sense.

The 2.5 eur boxes are great for dev/testing any OSS. No worries about minimum requirements for a 2-3 user use-case.

• @Hetzner_OL said:

@Bochi said:
    @Hetzner_OL A quick question that crosses my mind every now and then:

Several years ago we had a Raspberry Pi with an ARM processor on it - at least, I think I am remembering that correctly. Unfortunately, there wasn't much demand for it, so we discontinued it.
    I don't think we have any plans at the moment to offer a smaller Cloud package, but I will pass on your feedback to the dev team. Thanks for the feedback!! :D --Katie

Last I checked you offered an Odroid XU-4 (past tense). Quite a step up from pi levels at the time.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/61537/hetzner-entering-the-arm-market-with-servers-from-eur-11-88-eur-23-88/p1

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• It's a shame little ARM dedis didn't take off. I really like renting them from Scaleway, and they're great for low end servers.

I understand it though. The ARM ecosystem has wasted a great amount of good will and enthusiasm.

• williewillie OG
    edited March 2020

Yeah the thing you're remembering as a pi was the odroid xu-4 which was somewhat more powerful, though Hetzner's version was on the expensive side iirc. ARM not catching on was less a matter of goodwill than that they (so far) have never been that hot a server side proposition despite some attempts like Caviar. Of course that may eventually change.

I don't think we need smaller vm's than the cx11, but the idea of an ipv6-only instances, or instances with no internet at all (internal hetzner network or vlan only) have attractions. Scaleway and AWS both offer that. They decrease the security attack surface, and save the cost of an ipv4 address. This applies to large vm's and dedis as well as small vm's.

@willie said: but the idea of an ipv6-only instances, or instances with no internet at all (internal hetzner network or vlan only) have attractions.

I'll pass that feedback onto the team. Thanks! --Katie

Thanked by (2)vimalware tehdartherer

Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it already, we've got the new Dell PowerEdge R6515 in our line up. We call it the DX181.

Curious to learn more...? I asked one of our dev team members some questions about it. --Katie

Thanked by (2)beagle FlamingSpaceJunk

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it already, we've got the new Dell PowerEdge R6515 in our line up. We call it the DX181.

Curious to learn more...? I asked one of our dev team members some questions about it. --Katie

Meh, where's my NVMe server, Ryzen 3700X... :(

• @Hetzner_OL when you create a server does it include an IPV4 address?
    the pricing page doesn't mention it, https://www.hetzner.com/cloud
    or will I need a floating IP to SSH into my machine? (if I don't have IPv6 capable internet connection)

• @evnix said:
    @Hetzner_OL when you create a server does it include an IPV4 address?
    the pricing page doesn't mention it, https://www.hetzner.com/cloud
    or will I need a floating IP to SSH into my machine? (if I don't have IPv6 capable internet connection)

It's included, if you keep it attached to a server I believe. Otherwise they charge a nominal fee.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said: Hey guys, in case you haven't seen it already, we've got the new Dell PowerEdge R6515 in our line up. We call it the DX181.

Nice! EPYC 7502P. Very "Enterprise" :). Your old Threadripper AX server is gone from the AX page, so hopefully a new one (based on 3970X?) is coming. That's probably of more interest for LET hosting.

@evnix Each one of our cloud servers always has one IPv4 and one IPv6 Net (/64). If you want floating IPs, they are extra.
    If you have other questions, check out our wiki page: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en --Katie

@MikePT said: where's my NVMe server, Ryzen 3700X... :(

Our team's been in close contact with suppliers to try to fix logistics challenges. In addition, our HR team recently succeeded in finding new coworkers on very short notice for our Hardware Assembly team. Our team there is working as fast as they can while still trying to do quality work.

@willie said: Very "Enterprise" :)

Indeed. But I thought it might still catch someone's eye here. ;)

@willie said: so hopefully a new one (based on 3970X?) is coming.

You know the drill. I have to keep mum, even if I am actually really excited about something that's coming down the pipeline. But I'll keep posting news here. --Katie

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• @Hetzner_OL said: finding new coworkers on very short notice

I hope everyone is staying safe. Over here (USA) there is suddenly a gigantic amount of unemployment since so many businesses have had to stop operations. There's less issue finding people, than having ways for them to work safely on physical stuff like servers, requiring them to travel to and from the office or DC instead of working from quarantine. A DC is probably a good place to be though, relatively speaking, and if you can get to and from it.

Thanked by (2)MikePT Hetzner_OL
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Hetzner_OL said: Our team's been in close contact with suppliers to try to fix logistics challenges. In addition, our HR team recently succeeded in finding new coworkers on very short notice for our Hardware Assembly team. Our team there is working as fast as they can while still trying to do quality work.

Yep certainly, we'll wait patiently, there's no need to rush.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

The epic controversy over white mode or black mode continues. At Hetzner Cloud's user interface Cloud Console, we've added black mode, so you can now choose which one you prefer.

See a preview here. --Katie

Thanked by (1)MikePT