All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• LeeLee OG
    edited May 2021

@Ympker said: Divi

It looks great but tried their demo and just seemed to be limited in terms of the way you could create specific layouts.

When I looked for solutions like moving the image in the post list module to the left of the meta/excerpt rather than the top, it was a case of changing the code, adding CSS and so on. That seemed too much hassle for a page builder to do something relatively simple.

Of course, maybe I was not doing it right but the solution came straight from the Divi creators in one of their support posts.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited May 2021

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Divi

It looks great but tried their demo and just seemed to be limited in terms of the way you could create specific layouts.

When I looked for solutions like moving the image in the post list module to the left of the meta/excerpt rather than the top, it was a case of changing the code, adding CSS and so on. That seemed too much hassle for a page builder to do something relatively simple.

Of course, maybe I was not doing it right but the solution came straight from the Divi creators in one of their support posts.

I definitely agree Divi could have handled some things differently. It can be very annoying sometimes to get the design you want. Not necessarily, because you don't know the CSS code, but because there are just so many custom CSS fields that you first need to figure out where to put it and hope that there is not some default setting that overwrites it😂😅 This is one of the reasons why I use Microthemer sometimes to adapt the CSS, or YellowPencil (allows to drag basically ANYTHING exactly where you want it). Other than that, Divi offers lots of options and a lifetime license. With Divi I feel like they sometimes tried to add too much taking away ease of use. While they have lots of docmuentation the builder layout/design changes too fast for them to keep up all the guides in the Knowledgebase since they have so many features.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Lee said: Takes a while to really understand it though.

I am getting old. Took me a while to get a gasp of that. Site builders feels confusing to me these days :(

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @seriesn said: I am getting old. Took me a while to get a gasp of that. Site builders feels confusing to me these days

Get your buddy @jsg to help you :)

@seriesn said:

@Lee said: Takes a while to really understand it though.

I am getting old. Took me a while to get a gasp of that. Site builders feels confusing to me these days :(

Likewise, I feel they are drifting away from intuitivity trying to add all features and getting more complicated for the end user by the second. Also more bloated. Imho Gutenberg block builders and a theme like Blocksy/Generate Press are way more clean and intuitive at this point.

Thanked by (1)quicksilver03
  • LeeLee OG
    edited May 2021

@Ympker said: Gutenberg block builders and a theme like Blocksy/Generate Press are way more clean and intuitive at this point.

I agree to a point, but there is only so much they can offer. For me, themes like Blocksy are great but lack the ability to tweak designs enough. In fact, on the Blocksy comments on their FB page, I can see a lot of people using Elementor on top of Blocksy. It was seeing that which made me look closer at Elementor.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Lee said:

@seriesn said: I am getting old. Took me a while to get a gasp of that. Site builders feels confusing to me these days

Get your buddy @jsg to help you :)

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Ympker said:

@seriesn said:

@Lee said: Takes a while to really understand it though.

Likewise, I feel they are drifting away from intuitivity trying to add all features and getting more complicated for the end user by the second. Also more bloated. Imho Gutenberg block builders and a theme like Blocksy/Generate Press are way more clean and intuitive at this point.

I have enjoyed using Gutenberg,

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited May 2021

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Gutenberg block builders and a theme like Blocksy/Generate Press are way more clean and intuitive at this point.

I agree to a point, but there is only so much they can offer. For me, themes like Blocksy are great but lack the ability to tweak designs enough. In fact, on the Blocksy comments on their FB page, I can see a lot of people using Elementor on top of Blocksy. It was seeing that which made me look closer at Elementor.

I hear you.
    For designs you could have a look at MicroThemer/YellowPencil. Really cool tools :) Yeah, Elementor is probably the "best" page builder right now in terms of compatibility with other themes and features. Divi Builder offen bugs if not used with Divi theme.
    LiveCanvas is also great because you can really (HTML/CSS) style it your way (since it is Bootstrap basically).

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • If nothing else I like that Elementor code is both clean and does not leave a trail. Try changing away from Divi and you have tag soup left in its wake, whilst with Elementor you turn it off and use another theme, no problem.

As always it's use what works best for you. If I got really used to Elementor I would be whining at getting to the point of paying $199 per year vs $89 for everything you get with Divi or $99 for Blocksy unlimited. But then I would also be whining at not having granular control without something like Elementor.

Basically, I am always whining..

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Lee said:
    If nothing else I like that Elementor code is both clean and does not leave a trail. Try changing away from Divi and you have tag soup left in its wake, whilst with Elementor you turn it off and use another theme, no problem.

As always it's use what works best for you. If I got really used to Elementor I would be whining at getting to the point of paying $199 per year vs $89 for everything you get with Divi or $99 for Blocksy unlimited. But then I would also be whining at not having granular control without something like Elementor.

Basically, I am always whining..

Nicely put. There are different use cases for all of these and I think it always comes down what works out best for you. Glad to hear Elementor works nice with Blocksy, though. Even the Elementor "free" edition should be able to do something already :)

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • I have elementor but I have begun to prefer Brizy.

Alternatively, Blocksy or Generatepress or a good theme by Anders Noren to suit your taste.

Also check out https://gutenberghub.com/templates/

Thanked by (1)Lee

Squats are the new Push-ups

• LeeLee OG
    edited May 2021

Is there a decent plugin that just simply adds a lot more functionality to Gutenberg Blocks without it being a 'builder'? But still allows a reasonable amount of customization of those block.

Stackable seems quite decent and appears to be integrated into blocksy which is a plus.

@Lee said:
    Is there a decent plugin that just simply adds a lot more functionality to Gutenberg Blocks without it being a 'builder'? But still allows a reasonable amount of customization of those block.

Stackable seems quite decent and appears to be integrated into blocksy which is a plus.

Stackable is/was on Appsumo lifetime deals :)

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • Gutenberg doesn't suck?
    I just feel lost if classic editor isn't enabled.
    Tried Gutenberg again just a few weeks ago, but never got past the first anti reaction ...

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@flips said:
    Gutenberg doesn't suck?
    I just feel lost if classic editor isn't enabled.
    Tried Gutenberg again just a few weeks ago, but never got past the first anti reaction ...

I hadn't liked the first versions.
    But it has been improved. Now I prefer it to the classic editor. Makes a lot of things simpler.

As far as page builders go - I'm with Elementor. I had to pick one (not enough time to figure them all out).
    Elementor has all the needed options, lots of tutorials, and even the free option can be made to do all kinds of stuff with a minimal amount of coding.

Brizy lifetime looks tempting, but I can't justify to myself paying for it - just to have it in case I start using it.
    Regret if you buy, regret if you don't. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• I do like Divi. Haven't tested Elementor for a long time. (Don't remember what the limits of the free version was.) Though Divi ain't perfect, I've found the front-end editing to be nice enough for some customers to edit their own pages. (I just have to clean up some mess, restore some global modules etc. every now and then.) :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@flips said:
    I do like Divi. Haven't tested Elementor for a long time. (Don't remember what the limits of the free version was.) Though Divi ain't perfect, I've found the front-end editing to be nice enough for some customers to edit their own pages. (I just have to clean up some mess, restore some global modules etc. every now and then.) :)

I also like Divi, however more and more of my customers are having trouble even editing the front-end/changing text with Divi.
    One of the reasons being that they, for example want to edit the font size, however unlike in Word the font size option is not in the toolbar but in the design tab text settings.

Would be definitely easier for ppl if it was listed in this toolbar. Don't know why they did not do that.

Anyway, that is just one thing. Customers more frequently try to change "minor things" (like font size) and I am often surprised, how "hidden" for newcomers the respective features are. I don't notice it much myself because I know where to look or just do it intuitively but Divi gets less newcomer friendly/end-user friendly with every update it seems.

• @Ympker said: One of the reasons being that they, for example want to edit the font size, however unlike in Word the font size option is not in the toolbar but in the design tab text settings.

Gotcha ...

My problem has been more that my clients do change the font size, colors etc in the Text tab in Divi, and not in the Design tab ... Trying to educate them to use global colors, default presets etc. :)

Also they copy and paste from LibreOffice Writer or something, and get lots of crappy code inserted.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@flips said:

@Ympker said: One of the reasons being that they, for example want to edit the font size, however unlike in Word the font size option is not in the toolbar but in the design tab text settings.

Gotcha ...

My problem has been more that my clients do change the font size, colors etc in the Text tab in Divi, and not in the Design tab ... Trying to educate them to use global colors, default presets etc. :)

Also they copy and paste from LibreOffice Writer or something, and get lots of crappy code inserted.

Yeah, it can really become a mess, quickly😅 Need to really teach them or use a KISS editor/builder.

• @Ympker said: Yeah, it can really become a mess, quickly😅 Need to really teach them or use a KISS editor/builder.

Ever tried letting an end user edit using Live Canvas?
    Too risky or complicated? :)
    (I'm having trouble understanding what my end users find simple and complicated. Just had to explain basic math more than twice to the same person in a form setup.) :#

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@flips said:

@Ympker said: Yeah, it can really become a mess, quickly😅 Need to really teach them or use a KISS editor/builder.

Ever tried letting an end user edit using Live Canvas?
    Too risky or complicated? :)
    (I'm having trouble understanding what my end users find simple and complicated. Just had to explain basic math more than twice to the same person in a form setup.) :#

I haven't setup an end user with LiveCanvas yet but (for me) it would seem to be very intuitive to edit texts/images there. But I totally get that it is not always easy to understand what is easy for customers and what is not.

• But I have to say. Elementor is good, but I go back to Blocksy and I am just like, this is so much faster and easier to use. I just need to find something like stackable that extends Gutenberg but gives more granular control.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Lee said:
    But I have to say. Elementor is good, but I go back to Blocksy and I am just like, this is so much faster and easier to use. I just need to find something like stackable that extends Gutenberg but gives more granular control.

I think Blocksy wanted to add more starter sites and also own blocks in the future. Maybe that will add some more possibility. However, I agree something like Qubely/Stackable is just easier to use than a regular "page builder". Have you tried Qubely yet?

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Ympker said: Have you tried Qubely yet?

Thanks, will have a look, had heard of this one but not looked into it.

edited May 2021

@Lee said:

@Ympker said: Have you tried Qubely yet?

Thanks, will have a look, had heard of this one but not looked into it.

It has a free and a paid version so you can try the free version first :) You will also see the "Pro" Sites and Blocks iirc you just can't use them with the free version.
    It also integrates well with Blocksy and is usually recommended in the Blocksy FB group when someone asks for a block builder to go along with Blocksy.

Edit: It is worth noting that at this moment in time, Qubely Development is kind of on-hold/slowing down because the developers (Themeum) have posted in the FB group that they are currently focusing on their Tutor-LMS plugin because that one generates about 70% of their revenue and recurring revenue at that (Qubely was/is sold as lifetime deal also). That being said the way it is right now it is still a pretty good tool and I hope they will pick up active development of new features soon again. They are still updating it to work with latest wp versions/doing maintenance iirc.

Latest Changelog:

Thanked by (1)Lee

Be careful when visiting Stackable Builder website and double-check for any malware if you have visited Stackable Website recently.
    Just read this on their fb group:

• Elementor 50 % discount "Sale"...

for those interested.

https://elementor.com/pages/bday2021

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said:
    Elementor 50 % discount "Sale"...

for those interested.

https://elementor.com/pages/bday2021

Maybe something for @Lee since he currently is playing around with it iirc :)

• Nobody uses oxygen builder?