cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Bankruptcy/dead pool?

Comments

• LeeLee OG
    edited May 2021

@serverian said: Very optimistic guess thinking he'd achieve that kind of cluster setup running fine

When you are running that kind of bare budget set up, anything is possible I guess. History if nothing else shows us that budget hosts only need one thing to happen in order to bring them down. With HS there appears to be many of those one things ready and waiting to happen.

• He mentioned some kind of 48 drive fiber storage back in 2017:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2055222/#Comment_2055222

• edited May 2021

@SGraf said: he also stated he uses 12TB disks. so those are potetially SMR

Are you sure about that? There are no 12TB SMR drives on the market afaik.

• Thanked by (1)ehab
  • Franscisco is enough with jsg

Francisco said:

jsg said
    TL;DR 2: "cociu only has less than 3000 IPs" was a side story anyway and one that is irrelevant for the topic of this thread.

OK, so lets get to the meat of it then. Do you truly believe a 'UPS failure' fried 400 drives? You come off pretty smart, there's simply no way you believe it. No one does.

Here's my take:

• #1: He's been overselling his storage space via thin provisioning (qcow2, LVM thin provisioning). With the roll out of Chia, there's no compression/deduplication possible, and those users went wild and ran through their space.

When you run out of space on a thin provision LVM pool, you can't actually start the pool unless you have at least a tiny bit (even a couple GB) of space spare on the volgroup for the metadata. Without that, it won't start. Infact, for the longest time, the volgroup would destroy itself (eat its own metadata partition) when it ran out of space. If he's on an old enough kernel/lvm version, could've happened.

• #2: - He owes his datacenter a lot of money as has been mentioned in the filings and the DC simply cut some of his power to slow down the debt from growing much more.

• #3: - A crack pot one, and more so a joke than anything, he sold the drives.

• #4: - The outright lie - a UPS fried it.

Lets dive into #4 a bit. A datacenter known as WebNX had a generator (that was indoors) catch fire, set off the sprinklers that were not only above the generators, but also above the servers. The sprinklers soaked the servers full on. Not just a sprinkle. I literally went to the datacenter to help a friend of mine recover his data and the drives all have massive water marks on them.

Even still, they have 1000's, maybe even 10's of thousands, of servers online and they didn't lose 400 drives in their mess. They lost some, but I'd be surprised if it was 100.

I've had nodes go offline because of a UPS on the fritz and it wasn't double cabled. Even still, not a single drive was physically damaged.

If there was such a catastrophic UPS failure in his datacenter we'd have heard news of someone else getting affected by it. There's not a single host that's even heard such a thing as a rumor, never mind actually experiencing it.

I think it's #1 or #2, maybe both.

He didn't have a UPS failure that fried 400 drives.

And remember. Any power strip that'll be allowed to be used in a datacenter has surge protection in them with built in breakers. Those things would've tripped and protected the gear.

Infact, don't APC/Tripp include insurance with every strip for this very event?

Francisco

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider
    edited May 2021

@benz said:

@SGraf said: he also stated he uses 12TB disks. so those are potetially SMR

Are you sure about that? There are no 12TB SMR drives on the market afaik.

thank you for pointing that out. it appears i have been misinformed on that one.
    forgot that that seems to end at 8tb

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @bdl said:

Poor mule

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

I think the overselling makes sense.

Thanked by (1)lentro

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited May 2021

@kuroneko23 said:
    Franscisco is enough with jsg

Francisco said:

jsg said
    TL;DR 2: "cociu only has less than 3000 IPs" was a side story anyway and one that is irrelevant for the topic of this thread.

OK, so lets get to the meat of it then. Do you truly believe a 'UPS failure' fried 400 drives? You come off pretty smart, there's simply no way you believe it. No one does.

Here's my take:

• #1: He's been overselling his storage space via thin provisioning (qcow2, LVM thin provisioning). With the roll out of Chia, there's no compression/deduplication possible, and those users went wild and ran through their space.

When you run out of space on a thin provision LVM pool, you can't actually start the pool unless you have at least a tiny bit (even a couple GB) of space spare on the volgroup for the metadata. Without that, it won't start. Infact, for the longest time, the volgroup would destroy itself (eat its own metadata partition) when it ran out of space. If he's on an old enough kernel/lvm version, could've happened.

• #2: - He owes his datacenter a lot of money as has been mentioned in the filings and the DC simply cut some of his power to slow down the debt from growing much more.

• #3: - A crack pot one, and more so a joke than anything, he sold the drives.

• #4: - The outright lie - a UPS fried it.

Lets dive into #4 a bit. A datacenter known as WebNX had a generator (that was indoors) catch fire, set off the sprinklers that were not only above the generators, but also above the servers. The sprinklers soaked the servers full on. Not just a sprinkle. I literally went to the datacenter to help a friend of mine recover his data and the drives all have massive water marks on them.

Even still, they have 1000's, maybe even 10's of thousands, of servers online and they didn't lose 400 drives in their mess. They lost some, but I'd be surprised if it was 100.

I've had nodes go offline because of a UPS on the fritz and it wasn't double cabled. Even still, not a single drive was physically damaged.

If there was such a catastrophic UPS failure in his datacenter we'd have heard news of someone else getting affected by it. There's not a single host that's even heard such a thing as a rumor, never mind actually experiencing it.

I think it's #1 or #2, maybe both.

He didn't have a UPS failure that fried 400 drives.

And remember. Any power strip that'll be allowed to be used in a datacenter has surge protection in them with built in breakers. Those things would've tripped and protected the gear.

Infact, don't APC/Tripp include insurance with every strip for this very event?

Francisco

I like JSG. But, the part I didn't understand was, his two comments.

• Where he didn't really consider BGP tools and just assumed an answer.
    • Even if someone is using holding companies to hold on to their range, they still need to announce them. Marius announces everything under one ASN. So this makes 0 logical sense.
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

I don't have anything constructive to add, so it's meme time

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• There is a lot of hearsay and people making assumptions or guesses as to what has happened, but to me, the two hard facts below speak the loudest.

• Servers are down for 8 days
    • Company owner goes radio silent for 7 days

If you then consider previous downtimes, strange network configurations, unsustainable pricing, double credit promos and the potentially unconvincing explanation about this current downtime it starts to paint a pretty interesting picture.

I'm sure cociu is a hardworking guy and I have no bad feelings towards him. However, I think we should have higher standards as a community (meaning LET, LES & HT since we are all the same group just split across different boards) and given the history of this particular provider, I think the show has been allowed to go on long enough.

The excuse of "ITS CHEAP" only goes so far, especially if HS doesn't recover and the money people have added in credits (wrongly or rightly) disappears overnight.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

Still no response to the tickets and the vps is down so im giving up on that

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @WJJ said: if HS doesn't recover and the money people have added in credits (wrongly or rightly) disappears overnight.

But, it's another lesson that needs to be learnt and losing money is the only way for many in the LE* arena to learn it.

Thanked by (4)WJJ mikho skorous vimalware
  • @seriesn said:
    Marius
    makes 0 logical sense.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @WJJ said:
    ... LET, LES & HT ...

What is HT?

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@Dazzle said:

@WJJ said:
    ... LET, LES & HT ...

What is HT?

HostedTalk.net by @jarland

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @sweatbar said:

Don't sweat it and set the bar high.

• @Rahul said:

@sweatbar said:

Involucrated by the bar?

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint vyas

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said: Involucrated by the bar?

Not a pretty sight!

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

@Rahul said:

@sweatbar said:

I've been watching you
    A la la la la long
    A la la la la long long li long long long
    Come on
    A la la la la long
    A la la la la long long li long long long

Thanked by (1)Brueggus

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited May 2021

Dont know what is scarier in the LET thread on the topic.
    Jsg rambles or jsg declaring he is @seriesn fanboy.

And I thought Jay was cool

@vyas said:

how about both.

and nexusbytes better not slip up ever , or prepare for a 10,000 word essay from @jsg

• LeeLee OG
    edited May 2021

Just a typical LET thread the way it is playing out. As for @jsg, his mother needs to put some limits on his internet time. He is just that annoying kid that must always have the last word no matter what and will never realise he doesn't have an audience for his shit.

• @vyas said:

Not so long ago, jsg claimed that he would blacklist any provider that advertised on LES.

I argued with him about this, saying that it was a silly thing to do, but he stubbornly insisted that any such provider deserved to be blacklisted.

So much for his meaning what he said.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@angstrom said:

@vyas said:

Not so long ago, jsg claimed that he would blacklist any provider that advertised on LES.

I argued with him about this, saying that it was a silly thing to do, but he stubbornly insisted that any such provider deserved to be blacklisted.

isn't that's why he's so against InceptionHosting? whining about Anthony / Clouvider conspiracy and whatnot. Getting too high on donuts.

• @angstrom said:

@vyas said:

you should try to point this out to him over there. gonna be fun drama and I'll bet he will find arguments why you obviously misunderstood and he never said that. oh, and don't forget to provide a link, if you seriously want to discuss 😂

Thanked by (2)skorous LeonDynamic
  • @Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

@vyas said:

you should try to point this out to him over there. gonna be fun drama and I'll bet he will find arguments why you obviously misunderstood and he never said that. oh, and don't forget to provide a link, if you seriously want to discuss 😂

Ag then we will get to witness “what I type versus what you read” sermon

• I'm sure all the providers are quaking at the thought of jsg's blacklist. Lol.

Thanked by (2)rajprakash dahartigan
  • @Falzo said: you should try to point this out to him over there. gonna be fun drama and I'll bet he will find arguments why you obviously misunderstood and he never said that. oh, and don't forget to provide a link, if you seriously want to discuss 😂

Already happened, he starting caveating it with things like it depending on the date the provider started advertising on LES and other weak BS.

• In my mind, jsg is actually just cociu and he's convinced us all that he struggles with English to throw us off the scent.

Thanked by (3)lentro yoursunny Wolveix
This discussion has been closed.